2022 Finlandia Trophy Free Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2022 Finlandia Trophy Free Dance

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it’s worse than it’s ever been, actually. We no longer even have the pattern steps as a tool for comparing skills. Judges seem to have free reign now in both RD and FD. I think we will see some “interesting” results this year.
Now I know why all the coaches wanted to keep the pattern steps.. Is this a permanent change or do we know?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just because I'm curious..
and I though it was a typo the first time I came across and apparently it's not.
Do you usually use this for pairs and couples? I don't think so - I never read "the Fritalians" or "the Reorgians" etc.
So why do you not opt out with FBS? You use a lot of initals for all others (including too many T/T).
What's the point in forcing your fingers to type the unusual word every time?
🤣 Oh boy, sensitive much. It's not at all a slight from me. I thought that was an affectionate nickname coined by their fans. It has stuck with me and it's so much easier to remember, at least for me. Well, okay then F-B/S it is.

The whole dynamic of using initials really makes some fans go off in nitpicky ways. 🙄 Jeez Louise. Just taking the time to share a comment is hard enough these days, without being slammed for not spelling out full names every time skaters are mentioned. I certainly do not bother scrutinizing posts to find fault for nitpicky reasons. Whether it's pairs or ice dance, in general, most fans use initials as a shortcut. Sometimes I'm not sure who is being referenced in some posts, but I don't get offended and go after those posters. I find it especially curious of you to imply that I only use initials when discussing ice dancers!? 🤨

I try to make the effort of looking up skaters' names to get the spellings right cuz I don't have perfect recall. It's always helpful to include the full names in posts b/f referencing the initials. I didn't do that for F-B/S cuz I've always used their coined nickname. The use of 'Danadians' for Laurence Fournier-Beaudry/ Nikolaj Sorensen has been a convenient shortcut, not ever intended by me as a slight. I didn't coin that nickname! My goodness! And I didn't realize it's considered verboten!

With hyphenated names and difficult to spell and pronounce names, fans tend to coin nicknames. For e.g., Pap/Ciz; Sinkats; M-T/M2; and Gribbles, formerly! Horrors! Ash Cain is back to using her maiden name and enjoying life on tour as Elsa in Disney on Ice, though she and Timothy also still partner for exhibitions. I never liked or used 'Gribbles' for Cain-Gribble/ LeDuc, but I never got up-in-arms offended about the questionable coinage either.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Regarding the CZE team. Yes. I like them. However, I don't think the program is appropriate for a competitive program. The main reason why lyrics were forbidden for so long was to avoid political statements. Their message is one that I cherish. I do everything personally to care for the planet (I walk to work everyday for instance... 30 minutes each way from minus 30C to + 30C weather). But when I watch figure skating, I want to see ice dance. Not movements on a climate change announcements. Just like I didn't like some other programs with clear political or thematic content with words we can associate to specific events (9/11, Olympic scandal - I don't mind fictional themes or stories) etc. YMMV
I guess you didn't like Pap/Ciz's experimental foray into voiceover lyrics either then. LOL. Pap/Ciz clearly started a trend which has extended to some singles programs. I haven't seen this trend in pairs yet, which doesn't mean it hasn't already been a music/ concept choice by a pairs team that I missed.

Oh yeah, there have been pairs who skated to the Michael Jackson song about saving nature and our planet. That song has a nice melody and message, w/o a lot of voiceover talk. I don't begrudge skaters trying to do something different and experimenting. The whole thing with KV and the hood though is overdone and exploitative. Hopefully, it won't ever be used in competition, if she officially competes again in ISU comps. Evgenia Medvedeva's old program with the phone ringing and exaggerated pantomime didn't work for me either.

viennaskater

Medalist
Gotta say kinda disappointed with Green/Parsons free dance. It makes me sad cause I love these two, but it was just very bland for such a dynamic pair. It's good they are going for a different style but even with this style there could have been more innovation. It didn't feel like they really believed in what they were skating to either? Felt very much like they were going through the motions but not connecting with the music which they are normally very good at. Hopefully just teething issues from a move to a new coaching teaming, but I expected more from Tanith and co for them. After last year, I thought they would sky rocket over C/P and maybe even challenge H/B for the US second spot but not so sure now.
I'm glad I am not the only one who thought this. I was disappointed. Their FD last year was a masterpiece. I wonder if they thought it was 'not conventional enough for judges', hence this choice of FD for this season. Who knows? I felt sorry for them last season because they didn't get picked for the Olympics, although they had a good win at Four Continents. Just too many good US ice dancers fighting for the spots!

I love to see couples pushing the boundaries and they really did something original last year, while it was still an absolutely spell-binding programme. Would be interested to know the reason why they opted for such a bland FD this time.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also—I never want to misspell anyone’s name, and find both of their full names challenging to spell :) I use their initials and hope for the best!
I go find their names and copy/paste often..not always....and not in the comp threads, there isn't time. But there are way too many T/Ts!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it’s worse than it’s ever been, actually. We no longer even have the pattern steps as a tool for comparing skills. Judges seem to have free reign now in both RD and FD. I think we will see some “interesting” results this year.
At this point they don't even have to skate. They can just hold the medal ceremony, no skating needed. It'll speed things up a lot.