2022 Finlandia Trophy Free Dance | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2022 Finlandia Trophy Free Dance

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
As I didn’t pay 25 Euros for the stream this year I have just watched an upload of the majority of Freedances.

Just goes to show, keep an open mind and don't form opinions until you watch, but OMG based on the skating skills, vision, Choreography, performance, moving the audience, frankly I think the Taschlers deserved the gold medal here. I gave my opinions on their RD yesterday and their FD today was inspiring, with modern, angular choreo, the kind Green & Parsons had last year. Their sheer skating skills are exciting to watch and they both perform with such elan and passion, its wonderful. The audio is not an inane poem as PapCiz had a few years ago, but words about the most pressing issue of our time - The Environment and Climate Change. I feel like sending the link to King Charles and Prince William, they would thoroughly approve of this artistic interpretation of the vital issue. They looked disappointed with their score in the K&C, but hold your heads high Taschlers and don't change. Their Italian Coach Mr Zanni must be Coach of the year, but we all know the ISU will never give it to him.

As inspired and moved as I was with the Czechs, my heart breaks for Green & Parsons. From having 2 FANTASTIC programs last season with a stunning Avant Garde Freedance full of innovative Choreography.....to being lumbered with 2 dull programs this season, even the Choreo Character Steps down the width of the rink in the Freedance was uninspired and not even Junior Standard. May the USFS hang their heads in shame. This couple deserves so much better.

As for Hawayek/Baker, yes, lovely, but we've seen variations of this Freedance since they won Junior Worlds. Likewise Juulia & Mathias, looked like they had an off ice Choreographer with them in the K&C and it showed in the choreo with simple balletic lifts, apart from the endless rotational lift they've been repeating for several seasons now. At times it looked stiff and lacking flow and edges.

FournierB/Sorensen chose another Flamenco FD so you can only compare it to their previous one, and it's nowhere near as good. Also Flamenco when we have a Latin RD season? The film music sounded slightly tacky at times, and though Nikolai gives good face he needs to tell his feet and be more expressive in his body movements and skating skills.

I've seen some dodgy Judging already this season. It seems that doesn't change.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow. I've only watched H&B, but that was so stunning. They made such interesting shapes. I was thinking beforehand no, not another lyrical program, but it really is their strength. They seemed pleased enough with their scores, which is good. That mess of a program they were stuck with their first season in Montreal.....I don't even want to think about that season, it was terrible.

And she is stunning and they both wore purple, undoubtedly, just for me. I hope I get to see this in person.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Honestly, the scoring here is really interesting. The manipulation is obvious. I can understand those who say that Taschlerova/ Taschler were better than Turkkila/Versluis. I think what makes the difference is that T/T have a more dynamic and interesting FD than T/V. Still, T/T are obviously drawing on concept and costuming originated by Papadakis/Cizeron, with a big skating approach reminiscent of Hubbell/ Donahue. And sadly, I know for sure I'm gonna miss P/C and especially H/D on the ice dance scene this season.

Once again, as in the RD, the top three teams truly are the Danadians, Hawayek/Baker, and Green/Parsons. Turkkila/Versluis obviously benefited by home field advantage -- they were over-scored. I found T/V a bit bland, albeit competent and with a nice look together on the ice. But their younger teammates, Orihara/ Pirinen are much more interesting and exciting to watch. Granted that O/P are young and still have things to work on at this point.

G/P have a bit higher skill level and originality than T/V and T/T, which I think showed in the RD. But the judges decided to keep G/P down, which was surely disappointing for G/P. They looked somewhat subdued in the FD. Checking G/P's scores from 2022 4CCs, they received 80.62 in the RD and 119.97 in the FD with a total of 200.59 to win the gold medal. Even with less exciting and distinctive program choices this season, there's no way that G/P dropped by 23+ points in ability and skill level. Purely political/ seniority judging.

The most interesting programs for me to watch in the FD were H/B, T/T (albeit they copied P/C, but very ably and passionately), O/P, and G/P. I found the Danadians FD to be too similar to programs they've done before. It didn't stand out for me. Certainly not for the score they received. Based on the performances, I would have the final results: H/B; Danadians; G/P; T/T; and T/V. My contest predictions were G/P over Danadians; H/B; T/V; T/T. Totally not what the judges decided to do, regardless of the performances.

For me, even though Fear/Gibson are not the best technicians, they have the most exciting programs I've seen so far this season.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Flamenco and latine/tango are very different in their essence. I am not sure why people make this connection. (Do we compare nachos or mole or enchiladas with paella? )
Yes, Laurence and Nikolaj have had a great flamenco inspired program a few years ago which was very successful... However, many other teams are copying and pasting their excellent styles (many of you have mentioned H/B and Fins or even Papadakis Cizeron) doing a bit similar things every season as well).
Laurence and Nikolaj did present quite a striking and different FD last year... it was so special they had to revamp it... and this made them lose momentum with the judges who were quite harsh with them (my opinion). So in the end, why blame them for going to a style that worked well for them in the past? They obviously hope to qualify for worlds with Lajoie and Lagha pushing them for that elusive second spot.... They also hope they will place high enough this year (with Piper and Paul) to secure that 3rd spot for home worlds. Marie-France is not dumb. Their entire team knows exactly what they need to skate to in order to regain momentum and score well.. In the end, if one looks at the result tables, the programs are not mentioned. Nor are the costumes and the voice overs if there are any. What is mentioned are numbers... Teams have to play the numbers games... That's all.

Regarding the CZE team. Yes. I like them. However, I don't think the program is appropriate for a competitive program. The main reason why lyrics were forbidden for so long was to avoid political statements. Their message is one that I cherish. I do everything personally to care for the planet (I walk to work everyday for instance... 30 minutes each way from minus 30C to + 30C weather). But when I watch figure skating, I want to see ice dance. Not movements on a climate change announcements. Just like I didn't like some other programs with clear political or thematic content with words we can associate to specific events (9/11, Olympic scandal - I don't mind fictional themes or stories) etc. YMMV

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
... the Danadians, ...

Just because I'm curious..
and I though it was a typo the first time I came across and apparently it's not.
Do you usually use this for pairs and couples? I don't think so - I never read "the Fritalians" or "the Reorgians" etc.
So why do you not opt out with FBS? You use a lot of initals for all others (including too many T/T).
What's the point in forcing your fingers to type the unusual word every time?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just because I'm curious..
and I though it was a typo the first time I came across and apparently it's not.
Do you usually use this for pairs and couples? I don't think so - I never read "the Fritalians" or "the Reorgians" etc.
So why do you not opt out with FBS? You use a lot of initals for all others (including too many T/T).
What's the point in forcing your fingers to type the unusual word every time?
I have a feeling it's b/c that is what many of us in the skating world as well as many fans here when they changed from Denmark to Canada refer to them as. It only really applies to them. LOL

yesterday

Record Breaker
I have a feeling it's b/c that is what many of us in the skating world as well as many fans here when they changed from Denmark to Canada refer to them as. It only really applies to them. LOL

Okay so it's an award? Rather than a joke? Cause for me it reads a little disrespectful :scratch2:
But mabye it's just me?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I've also seen Laurence and Nik called the "Canadanes".

I like nicknames a heckuva lot better than initials, I don't have to think as hard. :biggrin:
Also—I never want to misspell anyone’s name, and find both of their full names challenging to spell :) I use their initials and hope for the best!

sworddance21

On the Ice
Wow. I've only watched H&B, but that was so stunning. They made such interesting shapes. I was thinking beforehand no, not another lyrical program, but it really is their strength. They seemed pleased enough with their scores, which is good. That mess of a program they were stuck with their first season in Montreal.....I don't even want to think about that season, it was terrible.

And she is stunning and they both wore purple, undoubtedly, just for me. I hope I get to see this in person.
I just watched it for the first time - it is mesmerizing. I love them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I used to call them the Canes :) Danadians sounds like Dalmatians to me... I prefer the Eye Candy Canes but this being said, I agree it's time they "retrieve" their name... Lolo and Nik or FBS is normally what I refer them to and I think it's time to drop the country switch reference.... but it's sort of hard to prevent people to use an old nickname right?

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I used to call them the Canes :) Danadians sounds like Dalmatians to me... I prefer the Eye Candy Canes but this being said, I agree it's time they "retrieve" their name... Lolo and Nik or FBS is normally what I refer them to and I think it's time to drop the country switch reference.... but it's sort of hard to prevent people to use an old nickname right?
Eh, I call them by their real names so :shrug: