2022 Four Continents: Women's Free Skate | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2022 Four Continents: Women's Free Skate

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Young You (KOR) 2020 Four Continents silver medalist

I think today my double Axel-triple toe was off balance, so that’s why I popped the double Axel and fell on the triple toe.

(on experience gained in Tallinn) It was a new experience today so I could work harder for the next competition.

(on goals in the Olympics) My goal is to not do anything I would regret and hope I can do the best performance in the Olympics.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yelim Kim (KOR) 2022 National silver medalist

I’m so satisfied today because I’m clean today! I’m really, really happy.

(on what will she take to the Olympic Games) I got confidence from this competition. It was very close between the nationals and here and I was worried about my condition. I got a clean program today, so it’s confidence.

(on preparing for the Olympic Games) It’s all about the quality - jumps, spins, steps. I think I need more steps and spins I lost level yesterday so think I need more running in that.

(on being tall) I think being tall is not great for the jump the speed and timing are important, so the taller you are the faster you need to be so it’s a bit difficult for the jump.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haein Lee (KOR) 2022 National bronze medalist

I’m super happy and last time I came here, in my free program I had one mistake, so it was really sad, but this time I’m doing well and I’m very happy.

(on medaling at ISU championships) It’s an honor to me to compete at Four Continents, so before I came here I wanted to do my best, and now I did my best.

(on taking out the 3A from the free program) I wanted to perform the 3A and we do during practice, but this time I wanted to be more safe, more stable for the program.

(on her next goals) I want to complete the season the best I can and to prepare more perfectly for the next season. That’s my goal at the moment. I’m going to compete at Junior Worlds. Junior Worlds is the very last competition of the season, so I want to show best performance I can for the fans and the ones who love me.

(on winning silver) First of all, last time I made a mistake in the short program, but did good in the free program, but this time I did both programs good, so I’m satisfied and happy about it and I want to continue as it is.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mai Mihara (JPN) 2017 Four Continents Champion

I am incredibly happy now. I was so nervous today, maybe because I was skating last. I was crying even before I went on to the ice. But I was so happy to be here representing Japan. There was a lot going on both in my short program and free skating, but I’m glad that I was able to skate until the very end of my program. I really want to thank the audience whose support gave me strength.

Sabsi

On the Ice
So happy for Haein. Best Korean Woman and what a Skate that was. She is such a talent and really is the first one of the Koreans who reminds me a bit of the emotional and smooth skating of Yuna Kim. I just can‘t understand why they did not pick her for the Olympics.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Too much Alpine skiing going on so I totally missed the 4CC women. Seems like the top skaters had clean skates! Congratulations to the medalists!

Europeans and 4CC is always a candy fest when it comes to SB results. Lee and Kim moves into the important SB Top 24 list. And Mihara strengthens her position.

It's sad that the top two skaters here won't be at the Olympics...

Joekaz

On the Ice
I agree with the podium but I think Haein Lee should have won the free skate. She should have been ahead of Mai in PCS and also, Mai had a problem with her final spin. Mai still would have won based on her lead in the short program.
Actually Rino should have won the free skate. 2 backloaded 3/3s and flawless, except for an unclear edge call she wouldn't have got if she was in the final group.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
So happy for Haein. Best Korean Woman and what a Skate that was. She is such a talent and really is the first one of the Koreans who reminds me a bit of the emotional and smooth skating of Yuna Kim. I just can‘t understand why they did not pick her for the Olympics.
Because nats results matter and it's the qualifying comp i think. She was 3rd there. It isn't because Young didn't do well today that we should forget how she skated at nats (and before that even, medalling at both of her GPs). And not because Haein did well today that we should forget that she did worse than Young and Yelim at nats. Fed gave worlds spot to Haein last season despite Young losing to her just by less than a point and doing better at ranking competition.

In a beautiful world, South Korea would have 3 olys spots. But they are the Japan of 2018.

Sabsi

On the Ice
Because nats results matter and it's the qualifying comp i think. She was 3rd there. It isn't because Young didn't do well today that we should forget how she skated at nats (and before that even, medalling at both of her GPs). And not because Haein did well today that we should forget that she did worse than Young and Yelim at nats. Fed gave worlds spot to Haein last season despite Young losing to her just by less than a point and doing better at ranking competition.

In a beautiful world, South Korea would have 3 olys spots. But they are the Japan of 2018.
I just think she is the one with the greatest talent, she is so on fire every move she is doing… especially compared to Yelim. And yes Yelim was the second at Korean nats and so the decision was made against Haein. Maybe it was the right decision, but not a smart one.

And yes, what would I give for a 3rd Spot for Korea at Olympics.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Too much Alpine skiing going on so I totally missed the 4CC women. Seems like the top skaters had clean skates! Congratulations to the medalists!

Europeans and 4CC is always a candy fest when it comes to SB results. Lee and Kim moves into the important SB Top 24 list. And Mihara strengthens her position.

It's sad that the top two skaters here won't be at the Olympics...
4CC isn't a candy fest, far from it. Nothing like euros. Judges are usually stingy. See the PCS.
However, this year TP was lazy. Must be the european air.....
But the scores would have been just like 5 points lower at most with a strict panel. Not 10-15. And most of skaters who got SB did better than they usually do. Mihara got just one point higher than her previous SB in the free.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually Rino should have won the free skate. 2 backloaded 3/3s and flawless, except for an unclear edge call she wouldn't have got if she was in the final group.
I only watched the final four, so you may be right. Will try to catch up later.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
@yume I like the new profile picture :giggle:

I have to say, as much as I enjoyed Mai and Haein, Rino had the skate of the day. Her program is so good, and her jumps are just effortless. Her step sequence is fantastic, with so many great nuances. The choreographic single jump that lands right on a subtle music note is a highlight for me. In fact, the whole back half is brilliant, from the step sequence into three combinations followed by a gorgeous choreo sequence. The spiral followed by the slide is just *chef's kiss*. I know this season hasn't been the best for her, mainly due to injury and likely Olympic season nerves, but I think that over the next few years she will become such a great skater. She already has the skating skills and musicality as well as the jumping ability to really rise to the top of the women's discipline over the next few years. Hopefully she'll get two GP next season, ideally a host spot as well as an additional assignment from the ISU.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
4CC isn't a candy fest, far from it. Nothing like euros. Judges are usually stingy. See the PCS.
But the scores would have been just like 5 points lower at most with a strict panel. Not 10-15. And most of skaters who got SB did better than they usually do. Mihara got just one point higher than her previous SB in the free.
4CC not a candy fest? Last 4CC in 2020 the whole top ten in women scored SB's.

I actually think all the championships are candyfests. Worlds and Olympics too. But I am not complaining. I prefer lenient judging before stingy ones.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
JSF, are you there?
I forgive you that you didn't pick Mai for Olympic,
but I think it was a huge mistake you didn't pic her for the World.
Agreed. Given her BOW and consistency, they should have given Kawabe the Olympics spot and Mai the Worlds spot. Mai is so consistent that I don’t see her losing to anybody, but, Russians and her Japanese compatriots. But, she is the skater that will secure three spots for Japan.

Amei

Record Breaker

I've yet to see her skate, but the fact that Audrey Shin has no under-rotations according to protocols seems very suspicious

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes. Rino had the hardest technical content and for me had the best PCS. She should have had the highest TES score and PCS score and should have won the small gold medal instead of a small bronze medal. Haein Lee to me was the second best performance of the day followed by Mai. But, this performance by Lee will guarantee her Senior GP events for next year and also her going to Junior Worlds may give Korea three spots for next year, because she is so good. Mai, that wasn’t her best performance. But, after all her 4th places at international events. I’m just glad she won a gold medal here. She is lovely to watch. Shin shouldn’t have scored that high. She is lucky to skate at this event under a generous judging panel. Her SB score passing Amber Glenn could now secure her Senior GP events, and I don’t think she deserves it due to all the under rotations I saw. But, it is what it is.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Agreed. Given her BOW and consistency, they should have given Kawabe the Olympics spot and Mai the Worlds spot. Mai is so consistent that I don’t see her losing to anybody, but, Russians and her Japanese compatriots. But, she is the skater that will secure three spots for Japan.
Like it or not, Kawabe is part of the future, not Mihara. Japan needs dynamic skaters with high scoring potential. Consistent skaters that do content from last cycle, but get generous scoring at home hasn't worked for Japan in major championships yet, and it certainly won't in the future. Kawabe needs the international experience and Mihara didn't come through under the pressure.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Rino's skate was the skate of the night for me, followed by Haein Lee. I'm confident there will be good things in the future for Rino. A bit sad the short kept her out of contention and I'm pretty sure her early starting number did the rest. Had she been in that last group she might have made the podium. But it is a learning experience and I hope it'll make her stronger. Looking forward to where she goes. And it's always a pleasure to me to see Coach Fluffy, I won't lie! The joy after they saw the score....🥰

Joekaz

On the Ice
Rino's skate was the skate of the night for me, followed by Haein Lee. I'm confident there will be good things in the future for Rino. A bit sad the short kept her out of contention and I'm pretty sure her early starting number did the rest. Had she been in that last group she might have made the podium. But it is a learning experience and I hope it'll make her stronger. Looking forward to where she goes. And it's always a pleasure to me to see Coach Fluffy, I won't lie! The joy after they saw the score....🥰
What I like about Rino is that she has special talent in her skating that can't be taught. Hard working over achievers are fine, but I will go for the specially talented ones over them every time.