2022 JGP Courchevel Free Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2022 JGP Courchevel Free Dance

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So... are they doing the men's medal ceremony next?

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
JGP Courchevel needs a permanent spot on the calendar just so we can get kids being ultra confused by the decanters every year 🤣

Really great competition overall and I'm so happy to have skating back! See you all next weekend 😊

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
That was funny.

After being handed medals, Hannah and Vanessa both reached up to put on the medal they were holding. But then realised that their partner was attempting to put a medal on them! And it became quite messy. :laugh:

In this COVID-world where the officials don't put the medals on the skaters any more, it is nice when the skaters put the medals on their partner. But, they really should discuss it first so that there isn't a mass of hands and medals above their heads! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So happy for them and you! I don’t know what the F the Canadian Skating federation was thinking when they let them go…it’s just nuts!!
I don't think Skate Canada made any mistake here... they have done the same thing over and over... it aims to give opportunities to its skaters, including skating for another flag if it's possible.

Mervin Tran comes to mind... put pair skating on the map in Japan.. years later, Japan has another strong pair, trained in Canada.

Armenian ice dancers came from Montreal. (Tina and Simon)..

There are just so many examples that I will stop listing them there.

Do I think Skate Canada made a mistake with Lim and Quan? Absolutely not : they will have more opportunities skating for Korea and helping the sport develop there than in Canada... Same thing is happening now with New-Zealand and Australia. I think they both have Canadian ice dancers representing them (Lafond-Fournier,Chan)

What this does, aside from allowing these skaters to shine is to deepen the field. It allows the entire sport to develop everywhere. It also means that Skate Canada is making friends with all these federations... whatever that means???

Winning a JPG event is one thing... Winning WJC is another thing... the "real" game will be in seniors... Will Lim and Quan shine in senior ranks? Hard to tell at this point but there are many teams ahead.

Skate Canada has 9 teams on the senior national team in ice dance... 9.... all of which are stronger than Lim and Quan... Plus Nadiia and Peter.

Last edited:

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
I don't think Skate Canada made any mistake here... they have done the same thing over and over... it aims to give opportunities to its skaters, including skating for another flag if it's possible.

Mervin Tran comes to mind... put pair skating on the map in Japan.. years later, Japan has another strong pair, trained in Canada.

Armenian ice dancers came from Montreal. (Tina and Simon)..

There are just so many examples that I will stop listing them there.

Do I think Skate Canada made a mistake with Lim and Quan? Absolutely not : they will have more opportunities skating for Korea and helping the sport develop there than in Canada... Same thing is happening now with New-Zealand and Australia. I think they both have Canadian ice dancers representing them (Lafond-Fournier,Chan)

What this does, aside from allowing these skaters to shine is to deepen the field. It allows the entire sport to develop everywhere. It also means that Skate Canada is making friends with all these federations... whatever that means???

Winning a JPG event is one thing... Winning WJC is another thing... the "real" game will be in seniors... Will Lim and Quan shine in senior ranks? Hard to tell at this point but there are many teams ahead.

Skate Canada has 9 teams on the senior national team in ice dance... 9.... all of which are stronger than Lim and
Yeah I completely get this and it is obviously better for Hannah and Ye as they can actually get a lot more exposure as a top team team for Korea than having to fight for a place in the JGP against so many Canadian teams. But the first time I saw them skate (when they were still competing for Canada) I thought they had a lot of potential and they also have that something special compared to a lot of juniors Canada currently has IMO. There are a lot of other big feds out there who would have held on to them based on that potential, so I’m just looking at it from that point of view. It’s good the Canadian fed is nice but it can sometimes be to their detriment!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah I completely get this and it is obviously better for Hannah and Ye as they can actually get a lot more exposure as a top team team for Korea than having to fight for a place in the JGP against so many Canadian teams. But the first time I saw them skate (when they were still competing for Canada) I thought they had a lot of potential and they also have that something special compared to a lot of juniors Canada currently has IMO. There are a lot of other big feds out there who would have held on to them based on that potential, so I’m just looking at it from that point of view. It’s good the Canadian fed is nice but it can sometimes be to their detriment!
well... yes, they are nice. I don't see how much more potential they have compared to Nadiia and Peter for instance... I mentioned the 9 Canadian Ice dance teams in seniors... there are more teams NOT on the National team also competitive with them...

I like them a lot.. I was a fan of their cats routine last year... They have potential... of course. I don't think holding on to them because of said potential is fair game. Having your athletes develop as much as possible, is the aim of any coach... they are in Gadbois... and look at it this way ... right now, they are developing well... and having these opportunities ... what did FBS and Lauriault-Le Gac do after climbing up safely in countries that were less deep in ice dance ? They came back... it's entirely possible Lim and Quan may do that at some point... or not ... Perhaps the coaching team and Skate Canada is actually seeing it this way... these kids may or may not represent Canada at some point... but their best way to reach the top is to not represent Canada while at the earlier stage of their careers... they can develop safer "elsewhere" Not everyone has a direct and clear path to success... I see Lim and Quan and I see improvement... they were nice and fun to watch last year, but they are now better too.. and they will get even better having more opportunities... it's not the same path for each athlete.;)

So I tend to trust Skate Canada here instead :) if they allowed Lajoie/Lagha to represent another country, I may not be that patient :)

Last edited:

yyzskater

On the Ice
I don't think Skate Canada had a choice in this. L/Q never competed for Canada internationally so I don't think they can actually hold onto them. They just need to sign a release form. But I don't believe they can refuse to sign it just because they hold a Skate Canada membership.

theblade

On the Ice
Hannah has some excellent expression; feels much more organic to the music. She seems a bit sweet/goofy/easy-going in her interactions, but once the music starts, she is on it. Really respect that about her. Made their skating heads and shoulders above the rest in this particular competition.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think Skate Canada had a choice in this. L/Q never competed for Canada internationally so I don't think they can actually hold onto them. They just need to sign a release form. But I don't believe they can refuse to sign it just because they hold a Skate Canada membership.
Fair enough but I don't think young athletes go on a whim and just unilaterally decide to represent another country just like that... there are discussions with the coaching team and probably at other levels as well... For instance, what if it didn't work out to represent Korea? Lim and Quan would want to have some options in Canada ... It may a totally different game for senior athletes... but at the junior level, I'd be very surprised if Skate Canada weren't consulted.

Andrea82

Medalist
Detailed scores

Lim/Quam first for everyone
French couple second for SPA, KOR, USA, FRA and ITA judges, third for GER and 4th for CAN judged.
Canadian judge (Mme Bourdeau) ranked Ben Khelifa/Zhou third (while underscoring the top 3 couple) with FRA and GER putting them 6th.
French judge (Monsieur Perrigouard) underscored basically everyone who wasn't French or at the extreme of the ranking (winner and bottom 2).
Korean judge (An) over scores L/Q and got everybody else around the average.

One judge called the costume violation to the British couple who got a -1 dedication for Interruption in excess

Last edited:

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Oh interesting point - I never thought of that.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
well... yes, they are nice. I don't see how much more potential they have compared to Nadiia and Peter for instance... I mentioned the 9 Canadian Ice dance teams in seniors... there are more teams NOT on the National team also competitive with them...

I like them a lot.. I was a fan of their cats routine last year... They have potential... of course. I don't think holding on to them because of said potential is fair game. Having your athletes develop as much as possible, is the aim of any coach... they are in Gadbois... and look at it this way ... right now, they are developing well... and having these opportunities ... what did FBS and Lauriault-Le Gac do after climbing up safely in countries that were less deep in ice dance ? They came back... it's entirely possible Lim and Quan may do that at some point... or not ... Perhaps the coaching team and Skate Canada is actually seeing it this way... these kids may or may not represent Canada at some point... but their best way to reach the top is to not represent Canada while at the earlier stage of their careers... they can develop safer "elsewhere" Not everyone has a direct and clear path to success... I see Lim and Quan and I see improvement... they were nice and fun to watch last year, but they are now better too.. and they will get even better having more opportunities... it's not the same path for each athlete.;)

So I tend to trust Skate Canada here instead :) if they allowed Lajoie/Lagha to represent another country, I may not be that patient :)
Yeah agree B/B are very promising as well! Haha, yeah really hope LaLa can make a big push up the standings this year!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah agree B/B are very promising as well! Haha, yeah really hope LaLa can make a big push up the standings this year!
you know, Lim/Quan only finished 3rd at Championnats québécois d'été... not only they were far behind B/B but they also finished behind Sandrine and Quentin. Of course, that was a few weeks ago and their preparation is definitely better (they had a fall in the FD at CQE).... But just to put things in perspective here as all these teams still have regular mishaps and things to work on... (Like Everest's twizzles for instance)

Last edited:

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I missed this live and only caught the end - I love Hannah and Ye - they look so grown up this year! I think the music is a wise choice - IAM definitely trying to give them the Lajoie/Lagha treatment.

I saw that the GB team had a really bad costume malfunction for her - I think it's really good that the ISU have edited them out of the full posted stream and not posted an individual video. I know its small, but at least there is SOME safeguarding and junior athlete protection going on.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
you know, Lim/Quan only finished 3rd at Championnats québécois d'été... not only they were far behind B/B but they also finished behind Sandrine and Quentin. Of course, that was a few weeks ago and their preparation is definitely better.... But just to put things in perspective here.
did they not make a big error there? As they are miles ahead of Sandrine and Quentin at this point in terms of polish and quality.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
did they not make a big error there? As they are miles ahead of Sandrine and Quentin at this point in terms of polish and quality.
yes they did make a mistake (fall in the FD).... and yes, they are ahead of Sandrine and Quentin (Sandrine and Hannah were both born in 2004, but Quentin is 2 years younger than Ye).. but to me, they are in a similar playing field as many other junior teams... while B/B are slightly ahead or Lajoie-Lagha were ahead a few years ago among juniors. This discussion is not to dismiss Lim/Quan. I really enjoy their skating, but it is to counterpoint the "omg... what did Skate Canada do here, letting them go".

The reality is that in Canada, even Nathalie and Bruce's retirement will not have an impact on the depth of the field in ice dance.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Skate Canada has 9 teams on the senior national team in ice dance... 9.... all of which are stronger than Lim and Quan... Plus Nadiia and Peter.
Which is pretty impressive in a post-Olympic field! Such a pity there are only 2 spots for Worlds now (I assume to be filled by G/P and FB/S barring untoward events). It will be super interesting to watch who emerges from the mix in this coming quad.