2022 NHK Trophy Women's Free Skate | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2022 NHK Trophy Women's Free Skate

rain

Record Breaker
I absolutely love Kaori's speed across the ice. It really does convey a sense of freedom. This was much better than the short.

But I am thrilled for Yelim Kim to win this. She has been so underrated so far. Love that that's starting to turn around, it looks like, and she's getting the recognition she deserves for her quality skating, wonderful choreography and expression.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
i have the top 5.... but not one of them in the right spot ;)
Story of my predictions this year... though I bet on the wrong US woman this time. Only 20 points for me lol (5 Yelim, 10 Kaori, 5 Rion, 0 Rinka because I put her in second... :dbana:)

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Seoyeong: suh-young
Seoyeon: suh-yuh-n

Is it "suh" with O sound as in "so"?
I'm not a native english speaker and english phonetics still confuse me 😅

And the "young" - is it really like the english pronunciation of young (opposite of old), or is it more O sound like "yong"? I thought "eo" in Korean is pronounced "o" - but CMIIW. Would love to be able to pronounce their name correctly!

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
First, Congratiulations to Rion on her 2nd GP medal!

About her 4T~
Honestly, this was the first time I've seen the axis and fall on her 4T attempt look scary/dangerous
Even though she hasn't landed it successfully in competition (yet) I feel like even her attempts are usually very impressive
If Rion had the tendency to skate clean(ish) more often than not, I'd agree she should ditch the 4T for now...or at least for "important" competitions
But since her 4T technique is so good and because she tends to make a couple of jump errors in her FS anyway I think it's worth the risk
We've seen her land nice ones in practice and I really feel she's close to a landing a successful one competition

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
What a strange but fun competition this was!

So for the Grand Prix Final:

Kim, Sakamoto and Levito are clear. Mihara and Hendrickx only needs to be at least 4th in Finland, so they should easily q too.

That means, Sumiyoshi is 6th with 387.46 and Watanabe is 7th with 385.66

The only threat I see to take that 6th place is Gubanova. She needs to be 3rd in Espoo and score 194.36 to beat Sumiyoshi.

Kihira has a small chance too. But she needs to win in Finland and score about 20 more points than she did in SC.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What a strange but fun competition this was!

So for the Grand Prix Final:

Kim, Sakamoto and Levito are clear. Mihara and Hendrickx only needs to be at least 4th in Finland, so they should easily q too.

That means, Sumiyoshi is 6th with 387.46 and Watanabe is 7th with 385.66

The only threat I see to take that 6th place is Gubanova. She needs to be 3rd in Espoo and score 194.36 to beat Sumiyoshi.
watanabe is ahead of Rion. the first tie breaker is the best finish 15+ 7 > 11+ 11 which means that Gubanova needs to finish 2nd if she wants to pass Watanabe as well.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
watanabe is ahead of Rion. the first tie breaker is the best finish 15+ 7 > 11+ 11 which means that Gubanova needs to finish 2nd if she wants to pass Watanabe as well.
Yes, my mistake.

Well, it's almost absolutely clear then. Watanabe probably goes to GPF as I see it unlikely that Gubanova beats one of Mihara and Hendrickx.

The only thing that could happen is if Kihira wins in Finland and beats Watanabe's score.