2023 Canadian Nationals Senior Women's Free Skate | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2023 Canadian Nationals Senior Women's Free Skate

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
You have to have the minimums at least 21 days before the event starts.
What this means is that the last two competitions for 4CC minimums for Singles are Skate Helena and World University Games, which are already underway.

Not even going to speak of pairs for 4CC and Euros or all disciplines for Euros, because those were before Christmas in early/mid December.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Better event than yesterday. Looks like there is something growing in Canadian ladies after all.
never lose hope in Canadian skating. It just goes through cycles.... A few tough years after Joannie... then a few tough years after Kaetlyn, but I can see these young women pushing each other in the next few years.... they are all under 20 (the top flight) and all have room for improvement.... AND, they barely have had any opportunities to compete since covid... It will be exciting to follow.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Maddie was smart to get all those combos done at the start of her program. In her international events, she would leave points off the table, by missing combos.

Senior Worlds - Maddie
Junior Worlds - Kaiya
4CC - Maddie, Kaiya, Sara-Maude (Maybe Justine?); As I cry regarding Fiona 😭

I think Sara-Maude should get chosen for 4CC. She lost to Justine internationally in Austria. But, she has beaten Justine at NextGen, Challenger and here at Nationals.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Poor Fiona that she doesn’t have the min for 4CC.

Glad Maddie won and hoping to see Kaiya at 4CC and JW.
Fiona is the biggest winner/loser of this event. Madde will be at worlds and 4CC for sure. Kaiya will get JW and most likely 4CC as well.
Perhaps Sara-Maude or Justine will be sent along to 4CC.... Fiona won't get anything. I hope they send her to a Senior B in the spring so she can get her minimums and get a season best score.

Ziotic

Medalist
Fiona is the biggest winner/loser of this event. Madde will be at worlds and 4CC for sure. Kaiya will get JW and most likely 4CC as well.
Perhaps Sara-Maude or Justine will be sent along to 4CC.... Fiona won't get anything. I hope they send her to a Senior B in the spring so she can get her minimums and get a season best score.
I kinda feel like she earned the SC host spot. She should also have a senior B before that though

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I kinda feel like she earned the SC host spot. She should also have a senior B before that though
Yes. I would agree with this. Give the SC host spot and two senior Bs ;) one this spring and one in the early fall :) I have to transfer my Josée love to Fiona :) it makes me feel young again LOL

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I can't believe Maddie scored one point lower than Kaiya in the free with that skate. I'm not saying she shouldn't have won overall since it was such a big gap in the short but her free score seems inflated to me.
PCS. there is a world of difference between Maddie and all the other final flight skaters. Also, what Maddie did well does receive higher GOE. I wouldn't think 128 is inflated by much.. it's not like they gave her 80 points in PCS... It could have been 125 ... she still would have won.
Kaiya needs to gain GOE in spins. She also will learn how to communicate a bit better. When she was tiny, her exuberance alone would get her a lot of the crowd's sympathy. Now, her dynamic skating needs a touch of refinement... but I see the improvement already and I am sure that next year Maddie will not be the only skater deserving good PCS scores.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Exactly what I was thinking. I think they should send Fiona to a Senior B event in the spring after this event. Gabby might not get that automatic SC spot with all this talent emerging from Canada.

I don’t think Maddie should have been that close to Kaiya in the free skate. I just can’t believe 180 was what was required to podium at Nationals.

Okay, unto Dance. The disciple Canada does best and leads the World at.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well.. this was a well skated event for most. I expected Lia to drop. I think she was lucky to place as high as she did. Justine had a rough day. Other than that, it was a very enjoyable event. Some more work to do for Madeline. The second last flight also showed some good skating, like Natalie for instance. Happy start of the day !

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't believe Maddie scored one point lower than Kaiya in the free with that skate. I'm not saying she shouldn't have won overall since it was such a big gap in the short but her free score seems inflated to me.

It happens in so many places, but it never sits well with me. Besides being just wrong, it violates the concept of fair play.

When you look at Maddie's FS, that just didn't give that sense of "yes, this is the skate of the day" that elevates the competition, for me.

But Maddie showed spirit and determination. I think she has room to grow into that program, expression-wise.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She can't get a SB score from a Senior B. But I hope they send her to one. And SC host spot next season.

yyzskater

On the Ice
PCS. there is a world of difference between Maddie and all the other final flight skaters. Also, what Maddie did well does receive higher GOE. I wouldn't think 128 is inflated by much.. it's not like they gave her 80 points in PCS... It could have been 125 ... she still would have won.
Kaiya needs to gain GOE in spins. She also will learn how to communicate a bit better. When she was tiny, her exuberance alone would get her a lot of the crowd's sympathy. Now, her dynamic skating needs a touch of refinement... but I see the improvement already and I am sure that next year Maddie will not be the only skater deserving good PCS scores.
I agree that PCS deserves to be vastly different between the two. But if you looked at the protocols, it would seem to someone who didn't watch the skate that Maddie had a great skate with 2 very minor mistakes. I think other skaters with the same mistakes would have gotten at least -2s, if not more. Example...her turnout of her 3 jump combo and still getting a bonus on it or multiple judges giving her no deduction on her 3L.

But I get it. Reigning champ gets a bit of leeway but it seemed a little much.

Sackie

Medalist
Damn... so she's screwed... this is not good Skate Canada. @Sackie and I have been complaining all season about SC not sending our women out... and not using the 3rd host spot at SCI.... this is sad.
Did Fiona get any assignments this year ay all? Hope this whole women's event has been an eye opening not to put all your eggs in one or even two baskets. I am sure Skate Canada had their eyes only on Maddie, Gabby and Kaiya for big assignments and now with Gabby out they are kind of screwed. Even Katherine Medland Spence has skated well in 3 Nationals now and yet she gets nothing. And what happens ( heaven forbid) if something happens to Maddie?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree that PCS deserves to be vastly different between the two. But if you looked at the protocols, it would seem to someone who didn't watch the skate that Maddie had a great skate with 2 very minor mistakes. I think other skaters with the same mistakes would have gotten at least -2s, if not more. Example...her turnout of her 3 jump combo and still getting a bonus on it or multiple judges giving her no deduction on her 3L.

But I get it. Reigning champ gets a bit of leeway but it seemed a little much.
I think the 3 jump combo did deserve a bit lower GOE.. I also think we can compare some of the axel issues Fiona had with some of the issues Maddie had on the tight landings. Maddie got a bit higher GOE if I recall correctly. So take away 3-4 points. Maddie still wins. At the end, when the placement ends up being correct, I am not really too worried. Kaiya won the free. CHECK. Maddie wins overall. CHECK. If anything, Kaiya could have won this on her own by not making a mistake in the SP which was very costly.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Did Fiona get any assignments this year ay all? Hope this whole women's event has been an eye opening not to put all your eggs in one or even two baskets. I am sure Skate Canada had their eyes only on Maddie, Gabby and Kaiya for big assignments and now with Gabby out they are kind of screwed. Even Katherine Medland Spence has skated well in 3 Nationals now and yet she gets nothing. And what happens ( heaven forbid) if something happens to Maddie?
Ice Challenge as a junior. I don't remember if she went to JGP circuit.