2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Men's Free Skate | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Men's Free Skate

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I do not think Keegan is mentally done. As you said, he said he would go on another 10 years if it weren’t for his body. Sadly, I do think he is physically done and I am going to have to let him go and pray he tours the US at some point🥲🥲🥲
He said that he has two passions, figure skating and his family... so it must be difficult to leave his family to skate .. regardimg touring, skaters with family do less... we haven't seen Patrick much since the baby... anyway, let's enjoy 4cc, worlds and wtt 😀

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He said that he has tow passions, figure skating and his family... so it must be difficult to leave his family to skate .. regardimg touring, skaters with family do less... we haven't seen Patrick much since the baby... anyway, let's enjoy 4cc, worlds and wtt 😀
Some skaters with family do less and others don’t. But yes I will enjoy those things. 😀. He has said he wanted to tour😀

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

yesterday

Record Breaker
Well... Ted is always very positive :) I think Canada is improving and will have a better cycle than 2019-2022 was. Will it ever match the 2010-2018 years? I don't know but why not hope for it?
I did not say he should not hope, it was more the way he said it. Like, he's not an athlete and I'm not sure if he's a Skate Canada official? But he spoke like one of them. Just noticed it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did not say he should not hope, it was more the way he said it. Like, he's not an athlete and I'm not sure if he's a Skate Canada official? But he spoke like one of them. Just noticed it.

Obviously Ted is not competing now. He was a competitive skater for Canada back in the day (junior champ, I believe?) and I think he is now a Skate Canada official in BC.

I find it natural that he would root for Canadian athletes, he is not obnoxious about it, and of course he has positive things to say about every single skater out there.

Which I like. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

@yesterday

Ted even won gold at Nebelhorn... The last Canadian man who has won it is Keegan :) He is in good company, considering reading the list of previous Nebelhorn winners...
Ted also competed at Worlds... he finished 16th in an era of figures... John Curry won it that year. Toller Cranston was 4th.

Last edited:

skaket023

Rinkside
I'm very sad that Roman opened that door for SkateCanada to decide it was time to give others a chance. It's understandable though.

I love both his programs this year but the long was not performed well enough to enjoy, to be honest.

I hope he takes this time to deal with things that should have been dealt with already, like his nosebleeds and the trouble he has with his legs between the short and long programs. Not to mention his nerves and the ability to deal with pressure.

I believe he needs an overhaul of his training and wellness. He is too young to be sporting those dark circles under his eyes! Nose doctor (whatever the formal name is), Sports Psychologist, and Nutritionist.

Then come back next fall when SkateCanada will have the TALLEST MEN'S TEAM IN FIGURE SKATING with Gogolev, Orzel, and Sadovsky!

yesterday

Record Breaker

@yesterday

Ted even won gold at Nebelhorn... The last Canadian man who has won it is Keegan :) He is in good company, considering reading the list of previous Nebelhorn winners...
Ted also competed at Worlds... he finished 16th in an era of figures... John Curry won it that year. Toller Cranston was 4th.
I did not say he's never been an athlete, I know that.
But he's just not an active elite skater right now, when he made the remark. That was all.

yesterday

Record Breaker
I'm very sad that Roman opened that door for SkateCanada to decide it was time to give others a chance. It's understandable though.

I love both his programs this year but the long was not performed well enough to enjoy, to be honest.

I hope he takes this time to deal with things that should have been dealt with already, like his nosebleeds and the trouble he has with his legs between the short and long programs. Not to mention his nerves and the ability to deal with pressure.

I believe he needs an overhaul of his training and wellness. He is too young to be sporting those dark circles under his eyes! Nose doctor (whatever the formal name is), Sports Psychologist, and Nutritionist.

Then come back next fall when SkateCanada will have the TALLEST MEN'S TEAM IN FIGURE SKATING with Gogolev, Orzel, and Sadovsky!
He actually tackled the nose problems this summer and as far as I've seen that's been successful so far.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I did not say he's never been an athlete, I know that.
But he's just not an active elite skater right now, when he made the remark. That was all.
I think these comments are best from former athletes than from current ones... Former athletes can sound wise and inspiring... current athletes may sound arrogant saying such things... I am pretty sure if anyone from the 2018 golden team said something like that, this forum would still be talking about it :)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I guess we just have to accept that some amazing skaters will never be consistent.
Please, no. Even in the case of Jeremy Abbott (who was referenced), and he did come to my mind when I was watching Roman's flawed performances, there were a number of great performances and lovely accomplishments by Jeremy Abbott.

Jeremy has important wins and medals on the GP, including GPF champion (I believe in 2007). He was U.S. national champion 3 or 4 times, he had the skill and the programs to win the 2010 Olympics, but he popped a jump and he didn't recover mentally, but it wasn't a completely horrible performance. A lot of the dropping of Jeremy so far down in the 2010 Olympic sp had to do with him being part of a 3-man U.S. men's team that was full of talent. Some members of U.S. fed never seemed to forgive Jeremy after that. To the detriment of the U.S. men's discipline, Jeremy was not sent to 2011 Worlds.

So the main equivalency with Roman, is that there seems to be a mental block involved. Jeremy would have issues in big moments, but he came back with memorable, iconic programs. And he's contributed so much to the sport, despite not having as out-sized career success as his talent might dictate.

Thus, while consistency can be elusive for most skaters, it's one's overall career that matters. Jeremy kept going, and with Yuka Sato, he created some influential programs over a number of years. Jeremy had issues, but not exactly in the same way that Roman is currently being confronted with. There's a mental block that Roman needs to address. I agree with Meagan Duhamel's observations about Roman, in her TSL review.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That 3 A fall was odd, he had already landed
Apparently, Roman was leaning slightly back on the landing (it's what Kevin R surmised during slo-mo replay).

It is odd when skaters land then seem to slip and fall. Something definitely causes this when it happens, even if it's just a bad patch on ice where a blade gets stuck.

In Roman's case, was it nerves combined with a lack of belief in himself? He can land beautiful 3-axels, but he's inconsistent with them. Perhaps that's where strengthening his belief and resolve is called for. And maybe being careful to stay on form throughout the jump landing, and not relax, thinking, 'Ah, I landed it..." ?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Might be a self defence mechanism. But, hard to see him kind of just brush it off. Like whatever. His skating skills are so phenomenal and his 4S is amazing and he also lands the 4T on its own at a bit over 50% success rate during practice. But, Roman mentioned that his program goes off the rails when he puts the 4T into the free skate during practices. I think he might be focusing too much in quads when maybe he should focus on the triples, as well, for the other jumps. I’m sad 😢
Yeah, I think fans forget how much mental and physical energy is involved in incorporating quads into programs. It's necessary to focus on the quads, but in the process, perhaps for many guys, it becomes difficult to have enough mental and physical energy available to maintain consistency on their triples? This may be a factor for Roman, along with needed changes in his training routine? He seems to need a fresh outlook, a different sports psychologist, moving out of his familiar comfort zone and challenging himself to step it up consistently -- not taking anything for granted.
I am also Jeremy Abbot fan... but us Canadians we look at the positive side that the other 3 displines are excellent... we are very very happy 😍
Canadian ice dance has been consistently strong. From what I've seen of the Canadian ice dance juniors, that discipline is way more than excellent, it's wowza exceptional 😍

Canadian ladies are coming on strong with lots of advancements technically. But they still have much to prove in international competition.

Canadian pairs have a long tradition, and they are shaping up very well with the new pairings. Canada has lots of political clout too, which is useful in tight competitions.

Meagan D on TSL mentioned that Deanna/ Max will be competing with the Italians for a World medal? If that's the case, it's due to Italian political clout. While their pairs teams are competitive and gritty, and the top team is often consistent in their sps, both teams have shortcomings that get overlooked in the scoring IMHO. Deanna/ Max are loads better than both Italian teams. At GPF, the Italians were over-scored, plus Deanna was fighting an illness.

I hope he can get a partner again and go back into ice dance. He was great in ice dance.
I felt so sorry for Bruce Waddell. He took it extremely hard in the kiss 'n cry. Maybe it was the pressure of skating in the final group. I wish him good luck. Some skaters seem to prefer singles, even when they are good in ice dance ( e.g., Jeremy Abbott, and Alex Johnson of the US). I wonder if solo ice dance takes off, whether Alex would come back for that. It might be a good avenue for Bruce too, if he prefers competing solo.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
OK 2 questions. Has Keegan made a formal announcement about his future? Will he be skating in any shows this summer?

rabidline

Final Flight
OK 2 questions. Has Keegan made a formal announcement about his future? Will he be skating in any shows this summer?
He will be skating at one Japanese show this summer (at least), The ICE. From July 22 - August 4, spanning 4 cities: Aichi, Nikko, Osaka, Morioka.

mrrice

Record Breaker
He will be skating at one Japanese show this summer (at least), The ICE. From July 22 - August 4, spanning 4 cities: Aichi, Nikko, Osaka, Morioka.

:thank::thank::thank:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
He's also in Stars on Ice Canada. I believe he wants to be a firefighter; I think he may not be the first one in his family.