2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Men's Free Skate | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Men's Free Skate

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yikes. I hope you look good in black and white stripes. This is a threat; maybe even extortion. I know a good criminal lawyer lol.
I don’t think the judges read Golden Skate. They did the right thing anyway so they are safe

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did you miss the part where they talk extensively about Keegan not feeling his body could take much more? At this point, forget about technical improvement. He is pacing himself to finish the season. Kevin Reynolds discussed how much time he now takes into the warm up before even attempting a jump, as he just needs to get warmed up longer and longer and longer as he ages. Keegan revealed he would have skated another 10 years if his body could take it.

At some point, a skater needs to realize that it's time, and as fans, we need to follow them that way...

When Patrick,, who was training quad sal and rumours say quad flip before the Olympics and showed a version of Dust in the Wind with two quads in the sp, and then, following difficult training and lack of success with things, decided to not only ditch the quad flip but also the salchow... fans were disappointed... of course... I knew that he was no longer aiming at the individual podium.. and then he disappeared... etc.. it took Ravi to get him back on the ice (and a few others) so he could finish his career with the Olympic Gold.

In some ways, I feel that Patrick was just physically and mentally done by then. I feel that Keegan is perhaps also a bit in that state of mind... so let's carry him to his last event as he has wished to participate to WTT. His performances had mistakes this weekend. I doubt he will skate two clean programs at worlds either but if he does I will cheer super hard... if he doesn't, i will cheer super hard as well.

I Interestingly, some skaters with shorter careers are missed but their retirement is sometimes such a surprise that we move on as fans... Skaters with very long careers like Patrick of Keegan or Kevin etc, it's harder to let them go.. we just sort of assume they will be there forever.

Regarding Nam, I am not so sure he had it in him even last season, covid or not. He stayed on for the games... but when that was fading away, there was no point...

The real big retirement was Joseph Phan. If only his knee injury could have healed. That was a hard one to swallow as he was in my opinion the next big star for Canadian skating, full package, relatively consistent... beautiful jumps and skating skills, with a good understanding of music.

The next big star may be Edward Nicholas Vasii. 16 only. Huge triple axel. Coached by Yvan who has made Nic and Joseph. He could be very good and with Stephen, Wesley and Conrad (and with Roman if he gets to fulfill his potential) Canada will come back. I am not really worried. The Men discipline in Canada has a very deep tradition. I don't think it's necessary for Canada to win a medal in the men discipline every single year :) It makes the ones won even more special.... look at Osmond's gold... how special was that? and look at the women event that many dismissed ... well not anymore... the talent is there. The technical content, though it doesn't feature the exotic jumps, has risen tremendously over the last 18 months... Madeline had to skate for the title.. it was not given to her... as a matter of fact, she didn't win the LP.

So... anything can happen... as long as we remain open to welcome it ;)
I do not think Keegan is mentally done. As you said, he said he would go on another 10 years if it weren’t for his body. Sadly, I do think he is physically done and I am going to have to let him go and pray he tours the US at some point🥲🥲🥲

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
it's top 6 my friend... and it's pretty much top 3 that has a real choice. (and as a matter of fact, the third one gets what's left after the first two have picked)

I will tell you what I saw with Conrad this year. Upward trajectory. Building up after a coaching change. Reworking basic skating skills... even his stroking got steadier... his air position, his push... everything. Every single time, there was a small improvement. This weekend showed that he is still learning but still steadily getting better. Not a lot of Canadian men this year, as you have pointed out, have landed two quads in the SP.

With Roman, in the last couple years, I have seen ups and downs.. but mostly downs. Very difficult for me to think of him with having any momentum after the recent events. Also, when he falters, it's really low.

If I were on the high performance committee my reasoning would be the following :
Roman needs to find a calmer place in his skating where he can manage to focus and land things. Tonight he did land two beautiful quads and faltered on pretty much everything else that is supposed to be easier. That's mental. That's focus. That' s preparation. And it was the same in the SP. It's not like he had one bad program and that he skated lights out in the second like Stephen did.

So I would be telling him and his team to take some time off and to regroup and to prepare for next year as we would all like to see him compete to the best of his abilities as he is one of the most capable skaters in the field right now.

I would tell Conrad and Ravi that we see progress and development and that it was a tough call but the opportunity is his and he deserves it. And may he makes most of it.

I would tell Wesley and Stephen that a strong team is needed for Home Junior Worlds and they have been assigned there.

I would ask Keegan if he wants 4CC or not with the new baby arriving. If he does, then done deal... if he doesn't, I wouldn't offer it to Roman but to Corey instead.

Skate Canada has to think about the future. A lot of opportunities in the VERY FEW that were had in the last couple years with Covid and worlds and even Nationals canceled meant that all these talented men still have to learn how to compete and it's not by always putting all your eggs in the same Roman basket that the others will develop.

That's my opinion and I know that it may not be in line with some of Roman's fans would always hope to see him skate no matter what...

But here would be my teams

4CC

Keegan if willing (if not, Corey)
Conrad
Stephen (I feel Wesley needs a bit more time to regroup but I would also be fine with top 3 goes to 4CC).

Junior Worlds
Stephen
Wesley
Edward (junior champ)

Worlds
Keegan
Conrad.
I like these teams. I like Stephen so junior worlds seems appropriate and I forgot it was in Canada this year. I would send Roman to WTT or Conrad

Keeping 2 spots at worlds I think would be too much pressure for Roman, it scares me every free skate not knowing what jumps he might land :(

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I like these teams. I like Stephen so junior worlds seems appropriate and I forgot it was in Canada this year. I would send Roman to WTT or Conrad

Keeping 2 spots at worlds I think would be too much pressure for Roman, it scares me every free skate not knowing what jumps he might land :(
Not sure Roman deserves to go to WTT either... that competition is for fhe prize money. It is a reward... not sure he deserves a reward finishing 8th at Nationals...Roman also had experience skating for a team... give it to someone else 😀

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Not sure Roman deserves to go to WTT either... that competition is for fhe prize money. It is a reward... not sure he deserves a reward finishing 8th at Nationals...Roman also had experience skating for a team... give it to someone else 😀
I don't know, doesn't Canada do some kind of monitoring of training sessions? At least it's more of a relaxed atmosphere.
Actually Canada could send all the top skaters this year as they have a chance of medalling, I'm looking forward to seeing which 6 countries participate.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't know, doesn't Canada do some kind of monitoring of training sessions? At least it's more of a relaxed atmosphere.
Actually Canada could send all the top skaters this year as they have a chance of medalling, I'm looking forward to seeing which 6 countries participate.
Monitoring is indeed in place. I really want the best for Roman. I believe it goes with a period of rest, a deep introspection about what his goals are in the sport, and then making some positive changes in his routine to achieve better consistency. There is no reason why a skater who has been with the same coach for a number of years, skating the same jump content for a number of years, has such issues other than the wrong mindset in competition. Roman is too good to skate like he did at the Olympics or at Nationals. This needs to be addressed and I don't think sending him out to WTT or any other "high profile" event is the way to do this. Skate Canada could send him to a spring senior B if they want to.. but again, it's money. I really hope he takes some time off and regroups. New programs. Not necessarily leaving Tracey and Grigor but adding someone in his coaching staff to shake things up, or going away for a few months to train somewhere else. Whatever it is, that's what I hope for him, so he can come back next year and skate clean programs regularly.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In any case ... for those wondering, It looks like the second spot at Senior worlds will be decided from 4CC results between Conrad and Stephen.
2023 ISU FOUR CONTINENTS FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
COLORADO SPRINGS, USA – FEBRUARY 7-12, 2023

Men

Stephen Gogolev
Keegan Messing
Conrad Orzel

2023 ISU JUNIOR WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA – FEBRUARY 27 – MARCH 5, 2023

Men

Wesley Chiu
Aleksa Rakic
Edward Nicholas Vasii

2023 ISU WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
SAITAMA, JAPAN – MARCH 20-26, 2023

Men

Keegan Messing
TBD

yesterday

Record Breaker
I don't think it's necessary for Canada to win a medal in the men discipline every single year :)
That reminds me of Ted's remark (or "threat") at the end of the Gala. Where did that come from 😅
I have never heard it phrased this way, quite directly.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That reminds me of Ted's remark (or "threat") at the end of the Gala. Where did that come from 😅
I have never heard it phrased this way, quite directly.
i dont know i didn't watch the end of the gala... i don't really fancy the group numbers... nor the galas per se... i was just there in and out while doing chores in the house and updating my website ha ! so what did ted say?

yesterday

Record Breaker
i dont know i didn't watch the end of the gala... i don't really fancy the group numbers... nor the galas per se... i was just there in and out while doing chores in the house and updating my website ha ! so what did ted say?
;)
Something like
We are not the best nation out there in figure skating right now, but we will be... we were, in 2018, but we are not now, but we will definitely be (...)

just paraphrasing
Gala should be archived as well?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
;)
Something like
We are not the best nation out there in figure skating right now, but we will be... we were, in 2018, but we are not now, but we will definitely be (...)

just paraphrasing
Well... Ted is always very positive :) I think Canada is improving and will have a better cycle than 2019-2022 was. Will it ever match the 2010-2018 years? I don't know but why not hope for it?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
;)
Something like

just paraphrasing
I would not call that a threat?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States