2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Rhythm Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Rhythm Dance

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I made a point to watch Nic more and he spends a lot of time getting into position for Laurance. I wish he had some highlights of his own. She is such a presence, but the program seems unbalanced somehow.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Could someone explain the nipple deduction rule please. Papadakis was penalised for hers showing. I clearly saw nipples from Soerens. Does the rule not apply for men?

Sackie

Medalist
Kind of interesting to realize that 2 of the possible medalist teams used to skate for different countries not that long ago.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why is Kaitlyn's coat so large. Did she have to borrow a coat?

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Could someone explain the nipple deduction rule please. Papadakis was penalised for hers showing. I clearly saw nipples from Soerens. Does the rule not apply for men?
Was she penalised for it? I don’t think they were. They were marked lower in some elements because the malfunction distracted her but I don’t recall there being any costume violation?

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
I really enjoyed the competition! It’s so nice to see so much depth in Canadian ice dance. Loved LaLa and of course Lolo and Nik but wish Nik was a just a bit more secure in his elements cause he always stresses me out 😂

yesterday

Record Breaker
the good thing is that he is very aware and humble... love zach's comments here (for instance about his mom, a pianist herself) not so much his Schumann playing ;)

As soon as your skating is better than his, you can critisize again ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As soon as your skating is better than his, you can critisize again ;)
I think that most of us would need to stop writing on this forum as all these skaters are better than us... enough said.

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
I think that nost of us would need to stop writing on this forum as all these skaters are better than us... enough said.
I knew you'd get that down the wring throat again. Meh.

eta:
I try to elaborate on it a bit more. I was actually thinking about the exact fact that we all here talk about the things (skating) that we can't do as well as those we talk about. I feel that usually people who can do it really good, who come close to what we watch or are better than that, don't write about it.

But here, you did the opposite so that was what my remark was focused on. Weird thoughts, sorry 🙈

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
catching up on dance now.

final flight : interesting that since piper and paul are not there, the 4 last teams are from quebec.

the depth of ice dance in canada is amazing... and what is even more amazing is that some of the lower teams are bridging the gap. The second last flight was already stellar !

I won't talk much about the skates but i am here to say how great it is to have Kaitlyn commenting here. She is SO good.
Interesting to hear that she thinks that Laurence is the best woman ice dancer in the world right now. I hope she starts getting more credit for how amazing she is ! Kaitlyn mentioned also how Nik has improved so.

I disagree a bit though with battle of medals... I doubt it will change much in the free dance in the top 3... but i can see how teams 4-6 could swap.

Looking forward to seeing the free dances tomorrow and hearing more of Kaitlyn's analysis.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Was she penalised for it? I don’t think they were. They were marked lower in some elements because the malfunction distracted her but I don’t recall there being any costume violation?
there was no deduction... your memory is right, they were less sharp so they lost points on their performance of the RD but no deduction was given.

rain

Record Breaker
A few thoughts:

While I could see why F-B/S won this (maturity, polish), the performance of the day was Lajoie/Lagha for me. The sheer energy and attack was incredible, and the program is just so fun. Their rotational lift is just spectacular; the sheer speed they achieve is so impressive. I just love this team.

I wish I loved Laurialt/Le Gac's program more. I think the costumes really throw me off. I love a good catsuit for a woman, but in this case I think a skirt would work 100 per cent better. I love their free, and find this underwhelming.

I think Soucisse/Firus are looking better than they have in a while, but to me their biggest problem is that I have no idea who they are as a team. They lack identity and personality on the ice and in their programs. I don't get the sense that they have any feelings about their music choices or choreography. I'd love to know if they bring anything to the table on that score, or just let it all be chosen for them.

I agree with Kaitlyn Weaver, I'm ready to see Sales and Wamsteeker break out. What are they missing? Just that magical program to put them on the map? I can't tell on screen if there's any difference in speed etc. between them and the top teams. Their lines are top notch, as they match very well physically.

readernick

Medalist
I made a point to watch Nic more and he spends a lot of time getting into position for Laurance. I wish he had some highlights of his own. She is such a presence, but the program seems unbalanced somehow.
She really is twice the skater and dancer that he is. So, they make her the center of attention on purpose. I really love FB. I think she is one of the best currently competing ice dancers. But, the extreme difference in skills between the two is a bit distracting to me. I do wish they would push him to improve by giving him a greater role in the dance.

rain

Record Breaker
catching up on dance now.

final flight : interesting that since piper and paul are not there, the 4 last teams are from quebec.

the depth of ice dance in canada is amazing... and what is even more amazing is that some of the lower teams are bridging the gap. The second last flight was already stellar !

I won't talk much about the skates but i am here to say how great it is to have Kaitlyn commenting here. She is SO good.
Interesting to hear that she thinks that Laurence is the best woman ice dancer in the world right now. I hope she starts getting more credit for how amazing she is ! Kaitlyn mentioned also how Nik has improved so.

I disagree a bit though with battle of medals... I doubt it will change much in the free dance in the top 3... but i can see how teams 4-6 could swap.

Looking forward to seeing the free dances tomorrow and hearing more of Kaitlyn's analysis.
I guess they have to make it sound like it's going to be exciting! and anyone can make the podium! But I agree with you, FB/S have a more than comfortable lead. Lajoie/Lagha are likewise comfortably in second. And barring disaster, I think the federation will want to reward Lauriault/Le Gac for their stellar season. These are the top 3 teams internationally here, all GP medal winners, and I don't see the Canadian judges upsetting that apple cart.