2023 European Championships Women's Free Skate | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2023 European Championships Women's Free Skate

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The uproar from the country-in-question's own skaters, that's what I also implied. Such transfers are covered by press. Even if skaters do transfer, there won't be guarantee for success, plus it takes some nerves and courage, as I said. It's not so easy, I agree. Don't forget about money/visa/competition from locals..Many things to take into account. And indignation/hate they might get. It could be easier to sit this out. I am talking about a higher echelon skaters or very promising, must say.
oh i see... Yeah. i hope it won't happen again as it must be very heartbreaking for a young junior skater to feel dismissed by her own federation. I agree transfers are not easy. Leaving the politics aside, it's very hard for a young athlete to train overseas far away from family. Even in Canada, some national teams train in the west, others in the east, and some athletes, though they do not even have to change countries, find training far away from home very difficult. As a matter of fact, some federations like long track speed skating, have built another national center to make sure athletes have ways to develop closer to home for longer... anyways... Again, congrats to Gubanova !

ChiGal

Rinkside
What a great competition overall! I really enjoyed watching these smaller federations, who usually only qualify 1-2 skaters anyways, getting much needed (and ignored) exposure in the final groups. The scoring parity in the final group of six ladies was refreshing, and finally made the competition enjoyable to watch, after many years of over-dominance by skaters of "other countries". Any one of them could have made the podium, instead of having the typical "runaway scoring" scenario of years past. It was nice to NOT have the podium decided by the end of the short program.

Perhaps the skating world can just keep those ultra-dominate countries to holding their own intra-country competitions, and leave the Europeans to everyone else....but just wishful thinking on my part. While its great to push the sport forward technically, and yes we did not see that in this competition, some of these smaller federations just DO NOT have the state/country financial support that larger countries are able to exploit. Every international competition does not have to be a pissing-match as to who can do the biggest number of quads.

Gubanova and Respond have restored my faith in international ladies skating!

Scott512

Record Breaker
We don’t know. All we know that there was an announced number of 20 applications for transfers, which were supposed to be reviewed in December 2022. Nothing happened so far.
Well Georgia will need another two spots besides Nastya for next season right?
If the Georgian Fed is really considering taking a ton of transfer from Russia, I hope they do it with care and don´t push out the skaters they already have. Gubanova just got Georgia 3 spots for next year and got them the first Euros title, can you imagine how sad it will be if she was to be replaced next year just because they took in skaters that are better then her? Particular when she went to Georgia because the Russian Fed didn´t want her.
I don't see Russia letting any of their really top ladies go some of the middle of the pack who are still very good like Nastia that might be a different story. I don't even think they would let Maya or Dasha go.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
After seing Gubanova being always underscored for so many years (and also having a soft spot for her as she stood out from the others due to her SS and non-Eteri type of busy skating), seing her win here is awsome. She also proves to be a consistent longevive skater - remember she is Alina Zagitova’s generation, who is retired for some time now.
I do think that the best skater in this competiton, and by far, is Loena. She is to me the most interesting and eye catching lady currently competing. I hope she gets back her mojo. Last year she really held it together beautifully at worlds. I think she has the mental capacity to do it, something will click hopefully at one point.

Once again, time after time, we had the same old same old: happy first and third place, sad second place.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
After seing Gubanova being always underscored for so many years (and also having a soft spot for her as she stood out from the others due to her SS and non-Eteri type of busy skating), seing her win here is awsome. She also proves to be a consistent longevive skater - remember she is Alina Zagitova’s generation, who is retired for some time now.
I do think that the best skater in this competiton, and by far, is Loena. She is to me the most interesting and eye catching lady currently competing. I hope she gets back her mojo. Last year she really held it together beautifully at worlds. I think she has the mental capacity to do it, something will click hopefully at one point.

Once again, time after time, we had the same old same old: happy first and third place, sad second place.
Not in men. Heh, Rizzo was like exploding with happiness with silver

Scott512

Record Breaker
Gurgenidze—I hope she will get close to podium in JWC. Also, RusFed is silent on those 20 transfers that were supposed to be decided a month ago…
You can't let 20 people transfer a couple or a few Maybe. And then there's some speculation that Russia will come back as neutral as they were in track and field the last couple years. And we've seen some Russian coaches at Europeans so they got permission from the ISU for that. I don't know what will happen but the Russian Federation will never let a lot of top talent leave at 1 time.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well Georgia will need another two spots besides Nastya for next season right?

I don't see Russia letting any of their really top ladies go some of the middle of the pack who are still very good like Nastia that might be a different story. I don't even think they would let Maya or Dasha go.
Tbh, i would be hard pressed to name top ladies in Russia rn between health and moving age for seniors. Sinitzina, Shul’skaya and Frolova come to mind as women who could shine in a different Fed…. Last season I would have said Gorbacheva, but she now gets a push up… so, perhaps Victoria Morozova…

withwings

On the Ice
Oh dear, Loena looks so crushed at the medal ceremony :(
I am more than sure that she was not crushed about the silver medal but for the fact (= shock) that she had errors,...two falls. If the silver medal would have been gotten in some better fashion, she would have not looked so crushed at all. She has lot of humbleness, too not only determination and dedication to the sport.

Jorik, why you don't you allowed Loena to cry when she wanted?? let her cry out her disappointment and start fresh again with a fabulous smile and determination!

I wish her to won the worlds! for the surprise to herself and to everyone else.. Let it be so!

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I am more than sure that she was not crushed about the silver medal but for the fact (= shock) that she had errors,...two falls. If the silver medal would have been gotten in some better fashion, she would have not looked so crushed at all. She has lot of humbleness, too not only determination and dedication to the sport.

Jorik, why you don't you allowed Loena to cry when she wanted?? let her cry out her disappointment and start fresh again with a fabulous smile and determination!

I wish her to won the worlds! for the surprise to herself and to everyone else.. Let it be so!

How could have Jorik prevented Loena from crying?

Scott512

Record Breaker
Tbh, i would be hard pressed to name top ladies in Russia rn between health and moving age for seniors. Sinitzina, Shul’skaya and Frolova come to mind as women who could shine in a different Fed…. Last season I would have said Gorbacheva, but she now gets a push up… so, perhaps Victoria Morozova…
Definitely Anna and Ksenia if that's who you meant.

Russia does not have to let the top people in each of the 4 Is disciplines. But I would let some of them move on who are more middle of the pack who would be world class in another country. I just don't know how the Russian federation feels about Anastasia who they always gave the short end of the stick to winning Europeans today. I guess they have mixed emotions. So sometimes you have to let people go so they can grow. IE: Nastya.

withwings

On the Ice
How could have Jorik prevented Loena from crying?
:) it is what I saw on my phone screen! When scores came up, Loena grabed one of her stuffed toys to hide her face and started to cry, hiding her face. So Jorik told her not to do so and she collected herself. I was not intended here to reproach anyone! it was rather said in partly serious way. Tears are blessing though if they do have them; its a big relieve of psychological tension.

SXTN

Final Flight
I was always happy for Loena because she was the underdog and so happy herself when she had good results. Lately I have a bit of a bad feeling about her. Too much ambition is unlikable and I hope she doesn't lose her grip. I can understand her being upset, but showing anger like that is unprofessional, not classy and a poor sport. She almost punched the ice after the 3F fall and kicking on the ice while leaving the rink is a no-go when she knows someone else is still skating after her.

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
So, here's the giphy you've all been waiting for, right? 😏

giphy.gif

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think the results were right. Loena was 3rd in the free and many girls who skated clean got better TES than she as it should be. It is still figure skating, not jumping competition. Kimmy is solid jumper and fast skater and she rotates fast. But I saw mostly junior skating. Anastasia was sweet, but maybe a little bit boring.

fehervari

On the Ice
what a beautiful gesture for Jenni Saarinen at the gala! and what a beautiful skating from her!
I had just decided to watch all her competitions this season when she announced her retirement. shame on me, but I realized very late what an amazing skater she is. or maybe more an ice dancer
❤️ :bang: