2023 Japan Open | Oct 7 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023 Japan Open | Oct 7

rabidline

Final Flight
Thank you @KiraraChin and @rabidline for the explanations about the Japanese skaters' selection. Any idea why it's been several years since the last Canadian skater participated? I am not necessarily talking about this year = slim pickings... but it's been since 2015 since a Canadian skater competed at Japan Open. I am curious. If Canadian skaters are not marketable in Japan (which is strange because some do shows there) why bother with "North America" as a team? I think my issue with it is not even that Canadian skaters do not go, it's about the name of the team :)
When the Japan Open started in 2006, Jeff Buttle and Joanie Rochette were regularly skating there. So I think that's where Team North America got its name and they just never bothered to change it.

And 2006-2015 = 10 years. 2016-2023 = 8 years minus 2 domestic Japan Opens. Maybe we can wait another 4 years, if only USA singles skaters get invited then maybe the name will change 🤪

Also I think IMG clients from the US / Canada gets prioritized and Kaetlyn was the only IMG Canadian singles lady? She won a Worlds medal in 2017, likely doesn't want to do a meaningless competition before an Olympic season, won Worlds 2018 and retired, with a couple interviews about her struggle since then. So it makes sense that she has never skated at Japan Open.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When the Japan Open started in 2006, Jeff Buttle and Joanie Rochette were regularly skating there. So I think that's where Team North America got its name and they just never bothered to change it.

And 2006-2015 = 10 years. 2016-2023 = 8 years minus 2 domestic Japan Opens. Maybe we can wait another 4 years, if only USA singles skaters get invited then maybe the name will change 🤪

Also I think IMG clients from the US / Canada gets prioritized and Kaetlyn was the only IMG Canadian singles lady? She won a Worlds medal in 2017, likely doesn't want to do a meaningless competition before an Olympic season, won Worlds 2018 and retired, with a couple interviews about her struggle since then. So it makes sense that she has never skated at Japan Open.
Kaetlyn did a bit more than one a worlds medal in 2017... She is a a 3 time Olympic medalist, and a world champion. She skated two big tours after the Olympics and then she indeed wouldn't have kept in shape for a competition. I would be curious to see who are the IMG skaters from "North America". If it's a sponsor deal, then fine... I give up :)

KiraraChin

Medalist
I think PR-wise they might think it's not worth changing the name in case they want to invite Canadian skaters again - or, who knows, even Mexican? in the future.

It's just easier for them to keep the status quo rather than changing the name and come across as deliberately not choosing Canadian skaters, even though in practice they've been inviting USA only skaters for quite a few years now.

rabidline

Final Flight
Kaetlyn did a bit more than one a worlds medal in 2017... She is a a 3 time Olympic medalist, and a world champion. She skated two big tours after the Olympics and then she indeed wouldn't have kept in shape for a competition. I would be curious to see who are the IMG skaters from "North America". If it's a sponsor deal, then fine... I give up :)
IDK, just because she did tours doesn't mean she wants to skate a competitive program again, even on a fake competition.

She is a 3-time Olympic medalist but 2 of those medals came after Worlds 2017 right?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
IDK, just because she did tours doesn't mean she wants to skate a competitive program again, even on a fake competition.

She is a 3-time Olympic medalist but 2 of those medals came after Worlds 2017 right?
olympic gold (team) and olympic bronze (women singles) came in 2018 indeed. Kaetlyn is definitely not going to do fake competitions at this point... i think past 2019 it was already not something she would have done...

Kaetlyn, before her world medals (2017-18) was already an Olympic medalist (silver, team in 2014) and GP medallist (Skate Canada gold 2012, 2016 = silver in china and russia and 4th GPF)

The point I am making is that is at least as good as any American skater who was invited in those years... :) and i say this with moderation when I say at least as good :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Will fans not living in Japan be able to watch this competition?
I don't know about the last time but I remember, when I was still interested in the event that it was pretty tough.... Some videos would end up leaked on youtube... but that was it... maybe times have changed.... but I wouldn't bet on it ...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure what vk is. Is it a Russian stream or a free stream?
Russian Facebook.

An account there sometimes streams, I don’t know the name, but nice people post links. :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I don't know about the last time but I remember, when I was still interested in the event that it was pretty tough.... Some videos would end up leaked on youtube... but that was it... maybe times have changed.... but I wouldn't bet on it ...

Yeah it was tough to watch it live back in the day. I remember staying up in the middle of the night hoping that someone would provide a piracy live stream so I could watch my main man at the time Dai. Of course I was a lot younger then and I could handle the late nights. :)

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
According to the ticketing info from the official website: https://jo-coi.com/jo.html
The events (both JO and CaOI) will have LIVE streaming services, with $$ [JO: 3000Yen, and you can get a combo for both JO+CaOI for 5000Yen]

Two accesses are provided:

The minor problems are if both sites accept oversea credit cards, and if the viewing might require VPN. Also, you might need to figure out how to register for the sites and to get to the page of payment & viewing.

Here's another link from the l-tike (the 2nd link above), and with Zaiko. My past experience was that the events on Zaiko should be viewable without VPN (as long as you can figure out how to buy the ticket), and Zaiko accepts oversea credit cards:

Oh, and please be reminded, that neither of the streamings will offer 'playback' options.

Too bad I won't be watching JO this year, as it happens I have to work on that day :(

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Don't they just invite the ones that are either known names - or that they want to make known names - in Japan? Mostly the same ones who get show invites.

They invite skaters known to Japanese fans. I am excited to see names like Mariah Bell and Isabeau Levito. Mariah Bell came out of retirement to participate in this event. The venue is one of the biggest concert arenas in my country. It would be sad to see a lot of empty seats and inviting local students is a good idea. There used to be a TV broadcast from 7 p.m. when Russian skaters competed in this event, which has been shifted to live streaming in the past few years.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It would be sad to see a lot of empty seats and inviting local students is a good idea.
I agree, though as a biggish venue it may not be enough (the Japanese paying market is not bottomless, people!). Luckily because of the sponsors, turning a profit probably doesn't matter so they can give them away, but it's sad that they need to.

hop456

Rinkside
I was wondering if anyone has purchased the Pia stream yet, does it look like a VPN is needed and is there a link to the actual stream once the ticket has been paid for?

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was wondering if anyone has purchased the Pia stream yet, does it look like a VPN is needed and is there a link to the actual stream once the ticket has been paid for?
I managed to make my way around and registered and was looking at the payment page and it said the Pay Per View ticket could not be purchased by those who live outside Japan.

hop456

Rinkside
I managed to make my way around and registered and was looking at the payment page and it said the Pay Per View ticket could not be purchased by those who live outside Japan.
Thanks. I did the same and it said the same for me. I tried the Zaiko link though and have been able to purchase a ticket on there, I don’t know if the stream will actually work for me though.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks. I did the same and it said the same for me. I tried the Zaiko link though and have been able to purchase a ticket on there, I don’t know if the stream will actually work for me though.
Did you pay $20 or so (3,000 yen) for the entire Japan Open competition only (not Carnival on Ice)?