2023 U.S. Nationals survey input | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 U.S. Nationals survey input

Kris135

On the Ice
I agree, we'd all love to see figure skating climb back to where it used to be. There was a Christmas Special every year, that I used to look forward to.

I mean how hard would it be to do a Christmas Show or even have have a skater skate at the lighting of the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center . I mean as long as the skaters got paid for their work I would not have a problem with it. Even with low hanging fruit like the national "Stars on Ice" tour that took place last summer that had Nathan Chen the Olympic Gold medalist and nobody thought of making a TV recording of it and showing it on NBC on weekend afternoon to get more skating content for the general public. I mean they already doing the show anyway and a lot of people could not afford the tickets or get to the cities where the tour was going to be. So this would been an easy way to put more skating on TV outside the ISU events. It seems that NBC wants to make watching figure skating as hard as possible.

Look it says something deeply distributing when Ilia, the new national champion, has to go to Europe to perform in ice shows to pay for his training costs, in middle of the season no less, instead of going to 4CC's or at least preparing for the world championships that happening in about 6 weeks. I mean some of these shows were silly and many had only professionals ice skaters, something these has almost completely died out, but at least there was content for casual skating fans and helped a number of skaters pay for the costs of skating without much more than a couple nights of the skaters time. The USFS could demand better treatment then NBC gives and I will give NBC a small amount of credit we finally getting some replays for short periods of time not enough in my opinion but a start. Their are a lot ways the USFS could market figure skating to make it more appealing they just choose not to.

Last edited:

bobmcm

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Changes to USFS operations are definitely coming! A new CEO was recently hired and come onboard just a few weeks prior to Nationals- she held a similar exec position at the NBA Cleveland Cavaliers... so she knows a lot about getting people in the seats at events!

She has already hired a new marketing director (from Toyota) and hired some consultants to evaluate fund raising and a develop a strategic plan for the future. I had an opportunity to have some discussions with the new hires at Nationals... and was very impressed.

I do not know what change will happen in the future... but guessing it may be significant and based on the new executive's background, I would expect it to start rolling out in the near future.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Not surprised it was poorly attended. The ticket prices were too expensive. I live driving distance from San Jose and would have gone if it was reasonable but it was not worth it to me. I talked to quite a few others at my rink who also decided not to go because of the price. Decided to go to 4 continents with my mom instead because it was cheaper even considering the flight.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm curious about the costs involved in attending gymnastic events vs figure skating events. I've only gone to Skate America a few years back and to attend all events was well over $300. I lived in the area so no travel expenses involved, but image the costs for those who need flight, car and hotel. I don't know much about gymnastics, but it doesn't seem to have the same high price tag as figure skating, that could be a factor in attending live events.
It depends what gymnastics you are watching. A single meet at my Alma mater is $10. That’s 1.5 hours worth.

Tickets to Nashville Nationals were outrageous. I usually get the weeks pass, but I could only afford the “championship weekend.” That leaves out some of the senior short programs, typically pairs and dance. Fortunately they dropped back down for San Jose.

I paid (I think) $525 for an all event pass to Nationals in San Jose. There are some that are cheaper but they are way way up there. $300 something I think?

That includes 7 days of skating plus all practices including one day that starts at 9 am and ends at midnight. That is an enormous amount of skating.

The REALLY expensive tickets (first three rows) always sell out. I flew, which as everyone knows I do not do (have not flown in 16 years). But I made the commitment to come if Gracie were coming.

Flying/driving/train/Uber/parking costs the same no matter who you are and whether you buy the cheap or expensive tickets. I usually find the cheapest hotel I can that’s safe. I will be driving to Ohio. If anyone wants to split a hotel I’m down. Even if a person is en route from St Louis to Ohio I would be willing to pick them up (promise I am not a serial killer).

I have been lucky enough to go to two gymnastic Olympic trials, one SEC championship and one National championship. Unfortunately I don’t remember the ticket cost. Anything where Simone Biles is competing will sell out. The last Olympic Trials was sold out at least 6 months in advance, and people still have to fly/drive/Amtrak here. I was very lucky they ended up rescheduling trials due to Covid and refunding everyone and reselling tickets at the new venue or I would not have been able to go. I want to say it was $70 a day? That’s for not so great tickets. I also went to Simone’s GOAT tour, which was on my birthday. I want to say I paid $300 for that, because it was VIP. It was also a birthday present. So minute for minute that’s by far the most expensive thing I’ve bought. Although the Ice Dreams VIP was $125 for VIP and worth every cent.

The Olympic Trials pre Covid - I’m not sure if it was St Louis Sports Commission or USAG but someone put on a heck of a party. They actually built a beach area outside (for Rio) and had a big party after introducing the Olympic Team. We all got glow sticks, the Bubble Bus (which I love, basically it is what it sounds like, it is a van that comes and blows huge bubbles. If it is after dark they put stuff in them to make them glow). Also the best fireworks I’ve ever seen and I got autographs I never thought I would get. Post Covid, it was just a sporting event.

Anyway, back to ticket prices - Philly International is $25 for the weekend. Cranberry (the first one) I think was $40 a day and that was an enormous bargain. There were a decent amount of people there for the women’s this time at Philly I noticed. The NQS events are maybe $5 (I’m guessing)

I have heard that back in the glory days Nationals sold out every year.

My idea was for all the people who buy the first three rows and don’t go to any of the junior events to be able to donate those back and USFS could resell them for $5 or $10 (or even give them away). Because there are a ton of seats that are technically “sold” that no one is sitting in.

Someone else had the idea to sell a ticket to all the Senior events, which I thought was a good idea.

Did anyone see what attendance was like at Canadians? I may have to go back and look.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not surprised it was poorly attended. The ticket prices were too expensive. I live driving distance from San Jose and would have gone if it was reasonable but it was not worth it to me. I talked to quite a few others at my rink who also decided not to go because of the price. Decided to go to 4 continents with my mom instead because it was cheaper even considering the flight.
I didn’t think it was expensive. It was about half what it was last year. Depending where you’re sitting of course.
4 CCs is of course shorter because it is what…4 days? Nationals is 6. Hotel prices are also more. I would have loved to go and am so jealous of those who are going. But I prioritize Gracie as long as she’s skating. I wish they weren’t SO CLOSE together, but oh well what can we do.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know that I personally am much more likely to attend an event if 1., I can drive to it (not a fan of air travel) and/or 2. It is in an area that has hotels and food options within walking distance of the rink (not a fan of Uber/city mass transit/being dependent on rink concessionaires.) From my point of view, Norwood MA was wonderful, though point 2 above would have been challenging if I had not arrived by car.

My absolute favorite location is Lake Placid, though i agree it is challenging to get there for those not within driving distance.
I literally can’t get to Lake Placid. Well technically I could but I’d have to take a train to NY and then look for transport the rest of the way and it’s not worth it.

Love Norwood.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"And Skate America tickets sold out the first day, btw" For me, this is very telling. Clearly, the people in the US like to watch skating. In my case, and my friends are the same way, it's the expense. If so many people watch Skate America, it's clearly not an unpopular sport. The fact that Nationals is no longer on network stations, is also a problem. When you start Gymnastics, Dance, or a sport like Swimming, or Tennis, the biggest expense is a Racket, a Pair of shorts, Unitard, Swim Suit, or Leotard. It's not that way with skating. You can't just grab your suit and jump in the backyard pool. The YMCA has open sessions where you can swim for free. I've seen parents teaching their kids to swim on several occasions. In Cal, I've never seen a skating rink offer free sessions. Yes, you can rent skates but, if you want to do anything more than a casual afternoon, you'll need skates of your own.

I love the outdoor rink in New York. Even people who have never seen skating can watch for free. I don't know the prices for lessons these but, they were expensive when I began skating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBi7fzx51jE
Nationals are held in arenas that hold at least 10,000 people. I’m not sure of the capacity of Norwood. Nowhere near 10,000

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There was a parking pass available with the sale of tickets in San Jose. BUT - there was no in and out privileges and the pass was only good until 3:00. I kid you not!!! So if you left you had to pay to get back in. (I think the pass was about $140) Tuesday thru Thursday the cost was $15 for entrance. Friday through Sunday the cost was $25 for entrance. On Sunday you had to exit the arena so they could practice for the gala. There is nothing other than Whole Foods within a decent walking distance of SAP so it cost us $50 to park on Sunday! We were told the parking company was not affiliated with SAP - they were standalone and definitely taking advantage. The food in the arena was horrible - as it has been the last 2 times I was there for a skating event. Grease and salt! Popcorn, hot dogs, pizza, soft ice cream, nachos and chicken tenders and fries......for 6 days! There were two salads but most of the time they were sold out and you were told they didn't know when more would be delivered. You could bring in food but if you're there from 10:00 in the morning until sometimes 10:00 at night .... Most days the ushers at the top of the stairs would not let anyone down the stairs during a performance. On Sunday for the gala, they let anyone walk at any time. More than several times we had people standing in the aisle in front of us looking for seats and blocking our view of the skater. Rude! SAP is a great place to watch skating but I don't think they're prepared for an event that covers multiple hours and days. I understand vendors are contracted with the arena and it doesn't behoove them to open for 2,000 people, but the vendors that ARE open could be more mindful.

On the positive side, the security people were very friendly and accomodating. Nobody in our group was hassled about anything, directions were given freely, and the agents were very helpful when you couldn't find your darn online tickets.
I don’t think there were ever 2,000 spectators in that building ever at any time.

I brought my own (semi healthy) food. Protein shakes, beef jerky, peanuts, protein bars. Plus 3 20 ounce diet cokes per day. I don’t know why they threw us out for the gala, but I sure wouldn’t have left the parking lot. I have books on my phone, I would have sat right there. As it was I ubered back to the hotel and didn’t come back. I just could not run that gauntlet again, especially at night.

Uber drop off for the SAP center is on the corner across the street. So the Uber has to stop in the street, get my walker out, get me out without any of us being hit. In order to leave at night they want you to cross the street in the dark and go to a train station. I ended up at a bus station (it’s dark. I’ve never been to San Jose in my life). I did get the guy to come get me where I was (and yes, I tip them very well). Big thanks to @Bag of Goldfish for deciding to adopt me for the week.

I’ve never seen food as expensive as it was there. Diet Cokes at the San Jose airport were less than half. Even at LAX they were more than 1/3 less.

Many people who had cars brought food and ate it in their cars.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
When you are getting an audience of 2000, you should not be paying for a 10,000 seat arena. Norwood seats 2,500.

Agganis Arena at Boston University is a nice arena that is bigger than Norwood, but smaller than Boston Garden. It seats 6,150.

SOI filled it up last year.

By the way, SOI just added a June 3rd tour date at Agganis :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you are getting an audience of 2000, you should not be paying for a 10,000 seat arena. Norwood seats 2,500.

Agganis Arena at Boston University is a nice arena that is bigger than Norwood, but smaller than Boston Garden. It seats 6,150.

I think my intent was “how do we grow it back to needing 10,000.” Also I’m assuming Skate America had International attendees, while Nationals would be including people from other countries? Was it selling out the arena in Las Vegas? How many people does the venue in Las Vegas hold? (I would not travel there. Too far)

noskates

Record Breaker
There is no secret of how to build up viewership or interest in figure skating. It starts with television coverage! And as far as a Christmas show - it needs a sponsor. And as far as coverage, media, etc. we need figure skating stars! More than one. I didn't think the prices were outrageous for tickets and would never sit in the first 3 rows anyway because you really don't get an overall view of the ice. I think 8-18 rows up is perfect. You don't miss anything in the corners. San Jose has never filled the arena. Not even for SOI and I've been to quite a few there. I can only imagine what SAP center charges for a 7 day event! As for the vendors - each of them contracts with the arena and most will not bother to open unless X number of tickets have been sold. That's true for even the Sharks hockey games. It all depends on who the Sharks are playing per one of the security people. It all still goes back to exposure. The "casual" fan doesn't know who Ilia is or (gasp!) Jason Brown. They might remember Nathan Chen from the Olympics - might! So what came first - the proverbial chicken or the egg. You have to have skaters who draw the interest and then you have to promote that interest through the media. I would like to see USFSA wage an all-out promotion campaign starting now and leading up to the Olympics. I would like to see a company (Toyota? Geico? Prudential) take a risk and support a TV show.

macy

Record Breaker
Changes to USFS operations are definitely coming! A new CEO was recently hired and come onboard just a few weeks prior to Nationals- she held a similar exec position at the NBA Cleveland Cavaliers... so she knows a lot about getting people in the seats at events!

She has already hired a new marketing director (from Toyota) and hired some consultants to evaluate fund raising and a develop a strategic plan for the future. I had an opportunity to have some discussions with the new hires at Nationals... and was very impressed.

I do not know what change will happen in the future... but guessing it may be significant and based on the new executive's background, I would expect it to start rolling out in the near future.
that's great to hear! i hope for some positive changes.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is no secret of how to build up viewership or interest in figure skating. It starts with television coverage! And as far as a Christmas show - it needs a sponsor. And as far as coverage, media, etc. we need figure skating stars! More than one. I didn't think the prices were outrageous for tickets and would never sit in the first 3 rows anyway because you really don't get an overall view of the ice. I think 8-18 rows up is perfect. You don't miss anything in the corners. San Jose has never filled the arena. Not even for SOI and I've been to quite a few there. I can only imagine what SAP center charges for a 7 day event! As for the vendors - each of them contracts with the arena and most will not bother to open unless X number of tickets have been sold. That's true for even the Sharks hockey games. It all depends on who the Sharks are playing per one of the security people. It all still goes back to exposure. The "casual" fan doesn't know who Ilia is or (gasp!) Jason Brown. They might remember Nathan Chen from the Olympics - might! So what came first - the proverbial chicken or the egg. You have to have skaters who draw the interest and then you have to promote that interest through the media. I would like to see USFSA wage an all-out promotion campaign starting now and leading up to the Olympics. I would like to see a company (Toyota? Geico? Prudential) take a risk and support a TV show.
Ok so OGM is the biggest star but Alexa and Brandon are world champions so that should be just a little smaller star. Tai and Randy headlined in Vegas. Can you imagine that happening today?

I don’t do much with Tik Tok but Amber is huge on Tik Tok, to the extent she’s been criticized for doing too much Tik Tok and not enough skating.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States

And BU is easier to get to than Norwood. Boston M&G Tickets are already sold out (all are besides the 2 shows in CA). However the show isn't even half full yet.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, maybe it's time for the Fed to start looking into venues that are smaller. The "Appearance" of a full house goes a long way with the general public.
That may be true. I was kind of under the impression that not that many cities want to do it. I’ve written the St. Louis Sports Commission twice and not even gotten an answer but they bring so much dang gymnastics here. They’ve put in a bid for the 3rd Gymnastic Olympic Trials in a row and I kind of hope they don’t get it, it’s to where it doesn’t seem very fair.