Adam Rippon joins 2018 Time 100 | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon joins 2018 Time 100

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Adam Rippon joins 2018 Time's 100 most influential people in the world under the category of icons.
http://time.com/collection/most-influential-people-2018/

The only other figure skater that has joined Time 100 that I know of was Kim Yu-Na in 2010 under the category of heroes. Does anyone here know of another one?

Good for Adam! He was undoubtedly the most prolific figure skater of the Olympics (other than maybe Virtue/Moir), and became a household name across the world because of his talent and personality. But he's also regarded for being his fabulous self, speaking his mind, and taking a stand against LGBT opponents - which is where the influential part comes in. He went to the Olympics to compete and represent team USA, but came out of it being an LGBT ambassador and using his voice as a prominent athlete. :clap:

The only other figure skater that has joined Time 100 that I know of was Kim Yu-Na in 2010 under the category of heroes. Does anyone here know of another one?

It only started in 2004; I am pretty sure that there have not been any others besides Yuna and now Adam.

The choices on the lists over the years have been fascinating. For one thing, you can be "influential" for bad reasons and well as good. (Osama Bin Laden was on the inaugural list.) And I have to admit that these lists usually leave me feeling out of the loop -- I have never heard of half of the people. It's cool that someone I "know" is included. :laugh:

I found Adam's "eulogy" by singer-actress Cher strangely moving. It is clear that Adam was chosen not for winning a prize in figure skating and, in a way, not even for being a spokesperson for LGBT community. Rather, Adam is honored as the face of the powerful "Be Yourself" movement. You do not have to conform to what other people expect you to be in order to achieve respect and success.

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist
I am not sure what is 100 about Rippon, but I believe media loves feeding themselves. And I can't express enough how much this "Be Yourself" by Cher goes against I have always believed - the faith, tradition, family and collective. But I am a dinosaur.
And of course this "100" always depends who does this 100.

Warwick360

Medalist
I am not sure what is 100 about Rippon, but I believe media loves feeding themselves. And I can't express enough how much this "Be Yourself" by Cher goes against I have always believed - the faith, tradition, family and collective. But I am a dinosaur.
And of course this "100" always depends who does this 100.

Please do enlighten further. If the fact of not wanting to be persecuted, or not feel hatred because one does not fit the conventional norm, goes against "faith, family and collective" then I for one am glad we don't live in the ages of the "dinosaur".

Warwick360

Medalist
^Having said all that up there, I do think Time should reconsider calling the list "Top 100 People who have influenced American culture". Because this list hardly reflects 100 Most Influential people in the World. Heck, I even doubt the list is truly reflective of 100 people within US. :rolleye:

noidont

Final Flight
Johnny Weir is "being himself" more than anyone else, and yet it seems like no one respects him.

megenta

Rinkside
Johnny Weir is "being himself" more than anyone else, and yet it seems like no one respects him.

Yeah, one has to be the kind of "self" that has generally accepted and liked qualities.. for example my real self is cynical, often annoyed, sarcastic, depressed, anxious etc and no one applauds me for being myself : D

acapenci

On the Ice
Some beef and thinly veiled homophobia in this thread. . . Some people will never be able to see that change isnt always harmful, and the world does not revolve around them

I think people respect what Johnnie has accomplished. Unlike Adam, I always get the feeling with Johnnie that he is having us on, with a little wink in his eye. Is this really "me," or is it the me that I am showing you?

IMHO, the difference is that Adam does not hide his vulnerable side, while Johnnie prefers to brazen it out. Different strokes for different folks.

dailytg20

On the Ice
I think people respect what Johnnie has accomplished. Unlike Adam, I always get the feeling with Johnnie that he is having us on, with a little wink in his eye. Is this really "me," or is it the me that I am showing you?

IMHO, the difference is that Adam does not hide his vulnerable side, while Johnnie prefers to brazen it out. Different strokes for different folks.

This. To quite a few observers at the time Johnny was definitely playing games with the press, which is his prerogative (no shade) but I remember it coming into public conflict with Rudy Galindo who to me is the true OG LGBT skating icon.

But they are all admirable and brave in their way. Adam gets major kudos for me for calling out Pence and standing up to the backlash. He always had a social media-friendly personality and wit, but his moment of resistance landed at the right time in the zeitgeist and that's why I can see him being including in these culture lists this year.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't know what happened to the DWTS thread but, I wanted to let people know that Adam was great and the critics are saying that he looks like finalist. Mirai also did very well and was in the top 3. Tonya was voted as safe but was in the bottom 3rd. Hopefully she'll improve in the next round.

millie

Medalist
I don't know what happened to the DWTS thread but, I wanted to let people know that Adam was great and the critics are saying that he looks like finalist. Mirai also did very well and was in the top 3. Tonya was voted as safe but was in the bottom 3rd. Hopefully she'll improve in the next round.

The three skaters, Adam 24/30, the best....Tonya 23/30.... Mirai 23/30....Three of the highest marks by the judges...After Tonya finished dancing, the dance floor was covered with flowers from the audience... A lot of respect shown to her...

mrrice

Record Breaker
The three skaters, Adam 24/30, the best....Tonya 23/30.... Mirai 23/30....Three of the highest marks by the judges...After Tonya finished dancing, the dance floor was covered with flowers...

Can you post their performances if you have them. I looked for them on YouTube and couldn't find them. How were the skaters???

millie

Medalist
Can you post their performances if you have them. I looked for them on YouTube and couldn't find them. How were the skaters???

If you are on Facebook, search Dancing with the Stars and you will see the performances or google search Dancing with the Stars season 26....Adam got the best reviews from the judges. Tonya cried with happiness with her judges reviews. They loved her. Mirai was too perfect, almost like the pros.

Manitou

Medalist
I've never seen so much noise around such a nobody. 100, DWTS, media and TV shows, based on so nothing. He must be a self-marketing genius.