Advice about skates and blades? | Golden Skate

Advice about skates and blades?

iceskating21

On the Ice
I know there are many posts about choosing skates and blades. I read through most and still wants to ask about my skater's situation. So please forgive me if you are tired of this topic. For Intermediate FS and close to senior Moves, what boots and blades will you recommend? How long can the blades last if the skates around 15 hours a week? How long can the boots last? Besides, for new skates, how long will it take to break in? Say, if we have events in a couple of months, is it a bad time to change to new skates?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What jumps does she have. What is her foot shape? How tall is she and approx weight? Is she better at jumps or spins? Does she prefer a softer or harder boot? Does she prefer a flatter or curvier blade? Does she prefer a shorter or taller heel? Does she prefer a high or low cut boot?

Or you could go to a fitter.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I know there are many posts about choosing skates and blades. I read through most and still wants to ask about my skater's situation. So please forgive me if you are tired of this topic. For Intermediate FS and close to senior Moves, what boots and blades will you recommend? How long can the blades last if the skates around 15 hours a week? How long can the boots last? Besides, for new skates, how long will it take to break in? Say, if we have events in a couple of months, is it a bad time to change to new skates?

In addition to @gliese’s questions, it would help if you would say what boots/blades is she currently in, whether the boots fit well, whether she has problems, whether she has a good coach and a good fitter, and what they are recommending. Also, whether your daughter has said what she wants. All of that stuff is important bc people at the same skill level have different feet, bodies, preferences, and strengths and weaknesses - and all of those things impact the choice of boots/blades.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Seriously a fitter would answer all your questions without you even having to ask. I'd seriously recommend going to one. You'll have to anyway if she's at the intermediate level. Triples without properly fitted boots are going to injure her. Even if one is 100+ miles away, that's less time and money than surgery and the potential of ending her career and maybe even her ability to walk.

iceskating21

On the Ice
What jumps does she have. What is her foot shape? How tall is she and approx weight? Is she better at jumps or spins? Does she prefer a softer or harder boot? Does she prefer a flatter or curvier blade? Does she prefer a shorter or taller heel? Does she prefer a high or low cut boot?

Or you could go to a fitter.
All doubles + trying some triple. She is about 5'4, slim, not sure about weight. I don't think she has idea what she prefers because she didn't have many tyes before.

iceskating21

On the Ice
In addition to @gliese’s questions, it would help if you would say what boots/blades is she currently in, whether the boots fit well, whether she has problems, whether she has a good coach and a good fitter, and what they are recommending. Also, whether your daughter has said what she wants. All of that stuff is important bc people at the same skill level have different feet, bodies, preferences, and strengths and weaknesses - and all of those things impact the choice of boots/blades.
I never got her serious skates before. I used to buy used skates from other skaters in the rink. Generally if it's right size, and she felt fine, then we bought it. This is going to be the first time that I seriously get her a nice pair. I think her current one is Legacy blade, some type of Ridell boots. She had Jackson before too. She seems to like Jackson more than Ridell. But she never tried other types.

iceskating21

On the Ice
Seriously a fitter would answer all your questions without you even having to ask. I'd seriously recommend going to one. You'll have to anyway if she's at the intermediate level. Triples without properly fitted boots are going to injure her. Even if one is 100+ miles away, that's less time and money than surgery and the potential of ending her career and maybe even her ability to walk.
So what is "fitter"? In the pro shop attached to the rink, there are staffs to sharpen skates besides selling skates. Are they whom I should ask? I am not sure because my coach said they didn't do the job correctly. But most skater in the rink sharpen skates there. I don't know other place. How do I know who is a good "fitter" in the area?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So what is "fitter"? In the pro shop attached to the rink, there are staffs to sharpen skates besides selling skates. Are they whom I should ask? I am not sure because my coach said they didn't do the job correctly. But most skater in the rink sharpen skates there. I don't know other place. How do I know who is a good "fitter" in the area?
Is it a figure shop or a hockey shop (predominantly). If you don't mind sharing where you live, someone will be able to find you one.

It's very likely if they don't fit skates well, they aren't sharpening optimally either.

For blades, the high level MK and John Wilson blades are what you should be looking at. A good fitter will help you figure out which one is best for your skater.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Hi - it’s great that your daughter is making so much progress and that you’re going to buy her serious skates for the first time - I bet she’s thrilled!

Here’s what I would do if I were you: tell your daughter’s coach that you’re going to buy her new skates and blades for the first time, and then ask the coach where to go. She should be able to tell you. She should also be able to tell you where you can get blades sharpened properly, and she may have some suggestions about what to buy.

Also, if you give us an idea where you live, we might be able to suggest places for you to go (for example, I can suggest a few places in the Chicago area and in Colorado).

Here’s what I wouldn’t do right now: try to buy skates online or at a big box store like Dicks. You don’t just buy skates by your street shoe size (for example, I wear a size 6 street shoe but wear a 5 in my skates). And at your daughter’s level, you buy boots and blades separately, and the blades have to be properly mounted to the boots.

When we talk about a good fitter, we mean someone with a lot of experience selling boots for figure skaters, who is familiar with the major brands and who knows which brands are generally best for people with certain types of feet. When you go for a fitting, it’s a good idea to bring your daughter’s current skates with you, even though you bought them used. Fitters can often tell a lot just by looking at old boots!

The fitter should look at your daughter’s feet and then measure them. Some fitters may even use a scanner! Then the fitter should ask your daughter questions about what skills she’s working on and which of her old boots she liked best. When the fitter has her try on boots, he or she will probably have her stand up, walk around, and ask her questions. For example, do your feet feel cramped anywhere? Is your toe touching the end of the boot? Is your foot sitting flat in the skate or are any of your toes curled up? Is your heel lifting up when you walk? Etc.

Your daughter is starting to work on fairly advanced stuff, and if her boots don’t fit or her blades aren’t properly mounted, it might make it harder for her to do stuff, or she might get hurt. We can tell you about different brands of boots and blades, and IC3Rabbit and others can probably suggest some specific models if you provide more info on your daughter’s foot shape, height, weight, etc. But the most important thing is for you to find a really experienced fitter who will put your daughter in the right boots, help you choose the right blades, and Mount them properly for you.

Hope that helps. 😊

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Re: is it a bad time to change to new skates because you have events coming up soon- Bootmakers are generally running well behind schedule, and if your daughter is wearing women's sizes, that means her boots will be made for her from scratch. While in normal times it only takes a couple of months to get boots made, these days it's running more like 6 months. (I'm extrapolating based on her skill level, the boots fitters keep in stock tend to be kids sizes and/or lower level skill boots). So it's moot because it's unlikely they'll have come in before the competition. This is something else you'll have to remember going forward if she keeps skating- how to time the purchase of new boots so they're in and properly broken in before important competitions.

Last edited:

Sibelius

On the Ice
I hate to be the one, but If you've only been buying second hand you may not know what you're about to get into as far as costs with a professional fitter and proper boots and blades that match your skaters' skill level. And also be aware that all boot makers are running way behind, whether it's a custom or getting stock boots out of the factories.

I can speak specifically to Jackson boots. We are awaiting shipment of boots ordered in mid June. We ordered a custom pair for my skater who is still working on her doubles. The boots alone were $1,000. We are fortunate to be able to continue using her Wilson Gold Seal blades since her boot size didn't change. We bought those 2 years ago and paid $650 for them. At this level there is nothing much less expensive. The boot Jackson would recommend for yours would be the Elilte, which in stock (not custom) form is $750, all Jackson customs are $1,000. Stock boots for her level from Risport, Edea, Riedell, etc. will be roughly the same price. Blades from MK will also be similarly priced to the top Wilson blades, the Gold Seal or the Pattern 99. Ultima and Eclipse blades are a bit less expensive.

Our fitter will not put her in the new boots until after her next competition in mid September.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
To answer a couple of your other questions about boots and blades - an experienced fitter will want to know what model boot and what model blade she's been skating on to made a proper recommendation, but if she is learning triple jumps now and skating 15+ hours a week, I'm pretty sure the recommendation across the board will be for her to get Gold Seal blades. As Sibelius says above, they run about $650, but they are the most advanced blade out there. That's not carved in stone, lots of advanced skaters have Phantoms or Pattern 99s.

How long they last is harder to estimate, because it depends on the grind (depth of hollow) she prefers, how often she needs them sharpened, and the skill of the sharpener (that last is the most important factor). So we really can't guess that. Likewise, how long your skater's boots can last also depend on several factors, how many hours a week she skates, her weight, her skill level, the strength of her knee bend. But if she is in appropriately supportive boots for her level such as Jackson Elite, then you can estimate roughly a year before they break down. If she's underbooted (if you choose less expensive boots), it can be much sooner than a year before they aren't safe to jump in any more. Best of luck.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Gold Seal is only one of the top blades. It depends on preference at that level, Pattern 99, Gold Star and Phantom are just as good if not better for some, just saying.
Curious, how does a skater choose to go to a blade like your P99, or the Phantom. There's a "natural" progression it seems from the mid level CoroAce to the Gold Seal, or from the MK Pro to the Gold Star, but, as far as I know, there's no mid level blade pattern comparable to the P99 or Phantom (Vision, maybe, but NLA). Do you simply decide, I want more pick in on my jumps and give it a go? I do remember George telling me that at one point it was a regional thing, Midwest skaters were using the P99 and Western skaters chose the Gold Seal. I know both our coaches have only worn GS, and that's what they asked us to get, and there's only one coach here I'm aware of in a P99. She's the only active competitor (Dance and Adult Sync), most of the others don't even sharpen their blades much, too much risk of catching an edge.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Curious, how does a skater choose to go to a blade like your P99, or the Phantom. There's a "natural" progression it seems from the mid level CoroAce to the Gold Seal, or from the MK Pro to the Gold Star, but, as far as I know, there's no mid level blade pattern comparable to the P99 or Phantom (Vision, maybe, but NLA). Do you simply decide, I want more pick in on my jumps and give it a go? I do remember George telling me that at one point it was a regional thing, Midwest skaters were using the P99 and Western skaters chose the Gold Seal. I know both our coaches have only worn GS, and that's what they asked us to get, and there's only one coach here I'm aware of in a P99. She's the only active competitor (Dance and Adult Sync), most of the others don't even sharpen their blades much, too much risk of catching an edge.
Preference. I have always preferred a flatter blade (skated on apex blades and actually loved them for a while). When I went to my fitter it was between the P99 and the Gold Seal. Still haven't chosen but it would really be the decision between a pick I prefer (crosscut) with a rocker I might not like so much (aka the Gold Seal) and a pick I hate with a rocker I would likely prefer more (P99). If a person ends up on a P99 and likes the bigger pick but wants even more curve, they tend to end up on a Phantom. Fitters know it all.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They trial the blades and what's best for them and stick with it. At some point with some skaters (cough) get to test all the blades and go with what they like and what feels best. There are more top level skaters on Phantom's, P99's than you all realize.
I used to skate in Gold Seal for a short period, but hated them. Went to P99's. You've got to look at what curve, pick, etc you want and like.
Also, are you a jumper, a spinner, a perfect combo, that rests on the blades preference too.

ETA: @gliese I think we were posting at the same time LOL!

Sibelius

On the Ice
They trial the blades and what's best for them and stick with it. At some point with some skaters (cough) get to test all the blades and go with what they like and what feels best. There are more top level skaters on Phantom's, P99's than you all realize.
I used to skate in Gold Seal for a short period, but hated them. Went to P99's. You've got to look at what curve, pick, etc you want and like.
Also, are you a jumper, a spinner, a perfect combo, that rests on the blades preference too.

ETA: @gliese I think we were posting at the same time LOL!
Thanks both Ic3 and Gliese. I thought as much. It's how I used to try out tennis rackets, but then you could borrow the rackets to try! It would be nice to be able to try them out without having to lay out the $700 though. Might be the one instance when buying a used blade to try may be a consideration, if one pops up in the right size, in the right condition I might take a flyer on it. We'll have an old pair of boots that still fit, soon to be blade-less!

Elija

On the Ice
In my case it was trying to find the opposite of what I currently had and didn’t like lol, rather than a natural progression to the next similar blade. But yes, same things as above in terms of figuring out what type of toepick, rocker etc you like and would be best. My coach also recommended what he thought would be best for me based on my skating and goals. I would love to be able to try out gold seals and basically every other blade out there just out of curiosity (I love the phantoms I have now and have no plans to change), but obviously money doesn’t really allow that.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In my case it was trying to find the opposite of what I currently had and didn’t like lol, rather than a natural progression to the next similar blade. But yes, same things as above in terms of figuring out what type of toepick, rocker etc you like and would be best. My coach also recommended what he thought would be best for me based on my skating and goals. I would love to be able to try out gold seals and basically every other blade out there just out of curiosity (I love the phantoms I have now and have no plans to change), but obviously money doesn’t really allow that.
If you love Phantoms and would be able to adjust to an 8ft rocker and straight cut picks, you might want to try P99s if given the chance, the standard, I never recommend revs. I was a Phantom girl for the longest time before 99's, then Gold Seals, hated them, back to 99s.

Elija

On the Ice
If you love Phantoms and would be able to adjust to an 8ft rocker and straight cut picks, you might want to try P99s if given the chance, the standard, I never recommend revs. I was a Phantom girl for the longest time before 99's, then Gold Seals, hated them, back to 99s.
Yes I’d love to give them a try just for the sake of it. On one hand I think why bother since I’m happy with my current setup, but then I guess you never know what you’re missing until you try. I have been tempted by revolutions I must admit due to an old knee injury, I hear they’re softer on landing (I also have a bad habit of flat footing landings when I rush my jumps) but then have heard so much against them as well, especially as I work on catch foots and beillman spins a lot. Will probably just stick with the standard phantoms.