Advice about skates and blades? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Advice about skates and blades?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Yes I’d love to give them a try just for the sake of it. On one hand I think why bother since I’m happy with my current setup, but then I guess you never know what you’re missing until you try. I have been tempted by revolutions I must admit due to an old knee injury, I hear they’re softer on landing (I also have a bad habit of flat footing landings when I rush my jumps) but then have heard so much against them as well, especially as I work on catch foots and beillman spins a lot. Will probably just stick with the standard phantoms.

* part of this reply is to the part I tagged and part is to the OP. I'm on my phone so quoting is more difficult.

Honestly rather than getting a blade that will be softer with landing flat footed, it's better instead to work on the landings so that they are not flat footed on landings.

You should never go to a lighter blades to correct technique issues or help you learn new jumps or help you improve jumps. In short term it may help you, but it won't fix the underlying issues and may affect consistency and performance in the long term. It will also reduce your ability to add rotation in the future, as you learn those mistakes and are able to do jumps with them, but affect ability to add more rotation or improve them.

The only time I'd recommend them is if you've landed a full set of triples with stable technique, and then the extra lightness is a bonus that can make it easier to skate a full program or learn a quadruple jump. Even then it's not a necessity, as it might compromise spin positions where you grab the foot etc, and also the best way to work on program fitness and jumps becoming easier is by working on strength and training programs.

When it comes to gold seal vs P99, at the end you should look at specifications vs current blades and then pick one you think you will like. If you really don't like the blade, then change to the other one at later date (unfortunately the costs of blades are high so its pretty sad if you get it wrong, but I can't think of a better way to do it).

If you are an adaptable skater you will find that you're able to execute most elements in any type of blade, it's just more difficult, uncomfortable and may be harder when learning new elements. Just because you are able to do elements, does not necessarily mean you have the optimal setup - which is one of the reasons why it's hard to know without experimentation. But if you find something that works well, stick with it.

For example I recently switched from Gold seals to matrix supreme (really wanted stainless steel blades to avoid rusting). I much prefer the gold seal as a blade, but am still able to do everything in the Matrix - just with some drawbacks. (Although it's very hard not to do scratchy spins).

In reality finding the right blade may take multiple seasons, as sometimes you will be having to experiment - but if you get the right blade the first time then it's really good. Check the specifications of blades, and then decide which one is right (preferably with assistance from somebody who is knowledgeable in the field - yet not somebody who will push their opinion too much).

Elija

On the Ice
* part of this reply is to the part I tagged and part is to the OP. I'm on my phone so quoting is more difficult.

Honestly rather than getting a blade that will be softer with landing flat footed, it's better instead to work on the landings so that they are not flat footed on landings.

You should never go to a lighter blades to correct technique issues or help you learn new jumps or help you improve jumps. In short term it may help you, but it won't fix the underlying issues and may affect consistency and performance in the long term. It will also reduce your ability to add rotation in the future, as you learn those mistakes and are able to do jumps with them, but affect ability to add more rotation or improve them.

The only time I'd recommend them is if you've landed a full set of triples with stable technique, and then the extra lightness is a bonus that can make it easier to skate a full program or learn a quadruple jump. Even then it's not a necessity, as it might compromise spin positions where you grab the foot etc, and also the best way to work on program fitness and jumps becoming easier is by working on strength and training programs.

When it comes to gold seal vs P99, at the end you should look at specifications vs current blades and then pick one you think you will like. If you really don't like the blade, then change to the other one at later date (unfortunately the costs of blades are high so its pretty sad if you get it wrong, but I can't think of a better way to do it).

If you are an adaptable skater you will find that you're able to execute most elements in any type of blade, it's just more difficult, uncomfortable and may be harder when learning new elements. Just because you are able to do elements, does not necessarily mean you have the optimal setup - which is one of the reasons why it's hard to know without experimentation. But if you find something that works well, stick with it.

For example I recently switched from Gold seals to matrix supreme (really wanted stainless steel blades to avoid rusting). I much prefer the gold seal as a blade, but am still able to do everything in the Matrix - just with some drawbacks. (Although it's very hard not to do scratchy spins).

In reality finding the right blade may take multiple seasons, as sometimes you will be having to experiment - but if you get the right blade the first time then it's really good. Check the specifications of blades, and then decide which one is right (preferably with assistance from somebody who is knowledgeable in the field - yet not somebody who will push their opinion too much).
Thanks for the input - sorry if that wasn’t clear, I didn’t mean I wanted to try them to correct a technique issue, it’s mainly because of a knee injury which I’ve had for almost ten years, and despite physio is most likely never going to go away. The occasional flat footed landing was just and extra. Interesting that so many people are against revolutions though! As with other types of blades, I’m just generally curious how they feel. If I had the money I’d try every blade just for the sake of it lol.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Thanks for the input - sorry if that wasn’t clear, I didn’t mean I wanted to try them to correct a technique issue, it’s mainly because of a knee injury which I’ve had for almost ten years, and despite physio is most likely never going to go away. The occasional flat footed landing was just and extra. Interesting that so many people are against revolutions though! As with other types of blades, I’m just generally curious how they feel. If I had the money I’d try every blade just for the sake of it lol.
To clarify, I'm not anti-revolutions in all instances.
They provide benefit for top level skaters like Nathan chen and Yuzuru Hanyu.
They are just not worth it for progressing skaters, and sometimes act as a short cut that prevents skaters from learning better technique/getting better strength.
Nathan chen and Hanyu (just repeating examples) learnt triples before revolutions. They didn't use them as a short-cut, but built technique and strength before switching to them at a later date.

I don't think revolutions will help with landing flat footed. The fact the blade is lighter might give you more air time to land onto toe - but if you land flat footed on any blade it will hurt the knee. The only true way to prevent this is to do safe landings where you absorb with the ankle.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Boots that aren't too stiff, strength in your glutes (i assume physio is getting at that), and getting a boot with shock absorption will help a lot more than revolution blades.

Elija

On the Ice
Boots that aren't too stiff, strength in your glutes (i assume physio is getting at that), and getting a boot with shock absorption will help a lot more than revolution blades.
Yeah, have made sure to get boots with shock absorption and worked on lots of strengthening. I don’t actually get hurt on the ice luckily (my knee I mean, bruises are another thing lol), it’s actually from running/hiking downhill that really flares it up, and then if the knee is still achy when I get on the ice (it usually takes a couple of days to go away if I irritate it off ice). Thankfully I can skate without any pain 99% on the time :) As with all the other types of blades, the revs are mainly a curiosity. I love trying new things, not just with skating. But obviously it’s not likely to ever be a real possibility due to the price.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thanks both Ic3 and Gliese. I thought as much. It's how I used to try out tennis rackets, but then you could borrow the rackets to try! It would be nice to be able to try them out without having to lay out the $700 though. Might be the one instance when buying a used blade to try may be a consideration, if one pops up in the right size, in the right condition I might take a flyer on it. We'll have an old pair of boots that still fit, soon to be blade-less!
So, I asked:

Me: "Do you want to try a different blade"?

D: "No".

Me: "But we could put it on your old boot and you could try it".

D: "No".

That settles that. Girl knows what she wants, at least in skating. The rest of her life, not so much, but she's 13.

Last edited:

TQB

Rinkside
Jumping in slightly OT here, but someone mentioned recommending fitters. I live in Maine and there's just one guy. Something weird is going on between him and my club (i'm an adult skater and not "in the loop" completely, I just hear stray comments). They're on the outs for some reason. I got new skates last winter and while they've been a great improvement, I'm still trying to work with him to tweak them and thinking maybe the guidance i received could have been better - my guy is very passive, great for people who know what they want but not full of recommendations. Who would you recommend in my area? I'm only 2 hours from Boston, 1-2 hours from any NH metro areas, so that's readily accessible. Thanks!

Sibelius

On the Ice
Jumping in slightly OT here, but someone mentioned recommending fitters. I live in Maine and there's just one guy. Something weird is going on between him and my club (i'm an adult skater and not "in the loop" completely, I just hear stray comments). They're on the outs for some reason. I got new skates last winter and while they've been a great improvement, I'm still trying to work with him to tweak them and thinking maybe the guidance i received could have been better - my guy is very passive, great for people who know what they want but not full of recommendations. Who would you recommend in my area? I'm only 2 hours from Boston, 1-2 hours from any NH metro areas, so that's readily accessible. Thanks!
I had some questions about Jackson boots and I once sent a cold call email to Aislinn Munck of Home Ice Boston and she was so helpful. I'm on the other coast so it was just an email conversation, but if I was in the area I'd definitely look her up. I think there is someone on here, maybe Bostonskaterguy? who has some experience with her.

Home Ice Boston

Reactions: TQB

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@bostonskaterguy86 @gliese Can you help this poster? ;)

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Aislinn Munck (Home Ice) or Scott Cooke (Cookes). Trust them both with my blades and Scott does my boots but I would trust Aislinn with them too. Do not trust anyone other than Scott at Cookes though.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
@bostonskaterguy86 @gliese Can you help this poster? ;)

I'd second Aislinn! She got me a great deal on my current boots, and has always done a fantastic job with my blades. She's very busy, so she's appointment only.

I've also heard good things about Jonathan English at The Sharper Edge in Peabody, MA, though I haven't gone to him for anything in person. Seems like several of the elite skaters in the area go to him (Ashley Wagner and Mirai Nagasu to name a few). I ordered Pic frames from his shop at the beginning of the pandemic and their customer service was great - they were severely backordered but they were great about communicating with me about the order and were very friendly and upfront.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'd second Aislinn! She got me a great deal on my current boots, and has always done a fantastic job with my blades. She's very busy, so she's appointment only.

I've also heard good things about Jonathan English at The Sharper Edge in Peabody, MA, though I haven't gone to him for anything in person. Seems like several of the elite skaters in the area go to him (Ashley Wagner and Mirai Nagasu to name a few). I ordered Pic frames from his shop at the beginning of the pandemic and their customer service was great - they were severely backordered but they were great about communicating with me about the order and were very friendly and upfront.
:jump:I just knew you and @gliese could help there. And indirectly you helped me because I couldn't remember the full name of the guy that did my blades when I was in town awhile back and now I know it was Jon English. Thank you!:bow:

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
@Ic3Rabbit do you know of any fitters in the NYC area? I know West Side Skate and Stick, (which I believe moved to Long Island a few years ago), but other than that I don’t know of any besides rink pro shops that I wouldn’t trust with my blades.

TQB

Rinkside

Thank you so much! I don't know how i will not fangirl all over the place, but I will try to keep it together if I go to Sharper Edge ;).

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@Ic3Rabbit do you know of any fitters in the NYC area? I know West Side Skate and Stick, (which I believe moved to Long Island a few years ago), but other than that I don’t know of any besides rink pro shops that I wouldn’t trust with my blades.
James Skibin at the Ice House in Hackensack, NJ if you are willing to go that far. He's an excellent sharpener, he does fittings and is an all around nice guy. Other than he in NJ and the WSide Skate and Stick, there's some in CT, but IDK how far you want to travel.

ETA: @Minz if you want to talk about this further, inbox me please! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you so much! I don't know how i will not fangirl all over the place, but I will try to keep it together if I go to Sharper Edge ;).
:scratch2:Just curious why you would fangirl over the skate fitter in the first place? LOL

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
:scratch2:Just curious why you would fangirl over the skate fitter in the first place? LOL
Becuase Wagner and Nagasu go there.

For the record, I have seen Nagasu at Home Ice before and Wagner at Cookes. Most good fitters have someone famous who go to them regularly because they're good at what they do.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Becuase Wagner and Nagasu go there.

For the record, I have seen Nagasu at Home Ice before and Wagner at Cookes. Most good fitters have someone famous who go to them regularly because they're good at what they do.
Oh I'm more than aware of what and who the good fitters see as a pro lol! ;)

ETA: I guess it doesn't phase me because I see them as just people/other skaters/colleagues. :shrug: