Advice about skates and blades? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Advice about skates and blades?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Oh I'm more than aware of what and who the good fitters see as a pro lol! ;)

ETA: I guess it doesn't phase me because I see them as just people/other skaters/colleagues. :shrug:
The second part of my message was more meant for the person you were quoting. Should have specified.

TQB

Rinkside
:scratch2:Just curious why you would fangirl over the skate fitter in the first place? LOL
Just a big fan of Nagasu! My best kid memories are going to Stars on Ice every year. Christopher Bowman hugged me and I talked about it for approx. 5 years. I lived in Boston for a long time but did not skate then. I grew up in the sticks, and now i live in different sticks - we don't generally get big names through here :)

iceskating21

On the Ice
Just wonder, which one is more important for big jumps, boot or blades? I heard that Edea Ice Fly is lighter than other brands. But I know it's expensive, about $750. I am wondering how big this advantage will be. Can anyone using ice fly to share some details?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just wonder, which one is more important for big jumps, boot or blades? I heard that Edea Ice Fly is lighter than other brands. But I know it's expensive, about $750. I am wondering how big this advantage will be. Can anyone using ice fly to share some details

The skater should always have proper skates and blades to their needs and level. So both are important. Also, if you don't have big jumps to begin with, one probably never will.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
My best kid memories are going to Stars on Ice every year. Christopher Bowman hugged me and I talked about it for approx. 5 years.
My mom, aunt, cousin and I went to SOI and the Tom Collins show several times in the late 80s and 90s. Christopher Bowman always made a huge impression at the stage door. My aunt and I still talk about him sometimes.

Reactions: TQB

iceskating21

On the Ice
Someone recommended Jackson Debut and Paramount C9 blade to me. I can tell they are cheaper than the ones mentioned above, like Jackson Elite, Edea Ice fly as boots and blades as Gold Seal, Gold Star, Pattern 99 or Phatom. At this point, quality if surely more important than the price. I am wondering whether they suit for big jumps, double or even triple?

Another questions is, my daughter grows pretty fast nowadays. Her shoe size definitely changes more often than once a year. Is it fine to change the skates/boots so often if it takes a couple of months to break in?

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Someone recommended Paramount C9 blade to me. I can tell it's cheaper than the ones mentioned above, like Gold Seal, Gold Star, Pattern 99 or Phatom. So I am wondering whether it is good enough for big jumps. Is it good for double jumps, or even triple?
It's a 2 piece aluminum blade with a carbon steel runner that is supposed to be able to compare to the John Wilson Pattern 99 blade, but it doesn't. It also is a pain because it requires a special jig to sharpen it and someone experienced enough with the jig and those blades to do so without ruining them.

If a high level blade is needed go with Gold Seal, Pattern 99, Gold Star or Phantom. Depending on skaters needs.

iceskating21

On the Ice
It's a 2 piece aluminum blade with a carbon steel runner that is supposed to be able to compare to the John Wilson Pattern 99 blade, but it doesn't. It also is a pain because it requires a special jig to sharpen it and someone experienced enough with the jig and those blades to do so without ruining them.

If a high level blade is needed go with Gold Seal, Pattern 99, Gold Star or Phantom. Depending on skaters needs.
I see. Thanks.