[Article] Hughes contemplates competing in '10 Olympics | Golden Skate

[Article] Hughes contemplates competing in '10 Olympics

euterpe

Medalist
Sarah talks about another Olympics every year around this time. Trust me, it isn't going to happen. If she waits until after she graduates in 2008, it will be already too late.

Face it---after 6 months in SOI, Sarah could not get back one triple jump or a even a double axel. By the fall of 2008, she will have been out of the loop for far too long to get back to competitive skating in decent shape to be able to get through Regionals and Sectionals. She'd be competing against skaters 8 years younger than herself who've already had years of competitions under the CoP.

Even if she could make it to Nationals 2009, she'd still have to finish top 3 and make the World team in order to get some exposure before international judges.

Not going to happen.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Sarah is going through a transitioning period, like most college students.

She considering it a possibility, but I think it's mostly talk. Easy to talk, harder to do.

I think she has her head in the right place. She owns her sport's biggest prize, what more is there to accomplish?

If one considers figure skating as their art, then Sarah is living for art. I think she is not crazy about school - not unlike MK and UCLA.

That news also appeared in NY Daily News.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Sarah seems to have been putting her foot in several different doors at once the last several years, and not fully commiting her life to one path. Maybe skate pro and do tours, maybe compete, maybe go to school. As a result she is not getting as much as she could get out of any one pursuit. It is her choice though. :unsure:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Joesitz said:
If one considers figure skating as their art, then Sarah is living for art. I think she is not crazy about school - not unlike MK and UCLA.

That news also appeared in NY Daily News.

Joe

I don't agree that Sarah is "living for figure skating", since she didn't skate at all during her first year at college (there is a skating club at Yale, where she could have kept in practice during her first year, and maybe have done a better job when with SOI the year after that), or, she could have combined school with skating by doing a reduced load on one or both, as Michelle did for some time. I think that Sarah might alternate between enjoyment at being just plain "Sarah from Long Island" and enjoyment in being the famous OGM celebrity.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think that Sarah might alternate between enjoyment at being just plain "Sarah from Long Island" and enjoyment in being the famous OGM celebrity.

I think there's something in what you say. But I also think she truly enjoys skating. Otherwise, why would she even want to come back? She's won the OGM already.

attyfan said:
I don't agree that Sarah is "living for figure skating", since she didn't skate at all during her first year at college (there is a skating club at Yale, where she could have kept in practice during her first year, and maybe have done a better job when with SOI the year after that), or, she could have combined school with skating by doing a reduced load on one or both, as Michelle did for some time. I think that Sarah might alternate between enjoyment at being just plain "Sarah from Long Island" and enjoyment in being the famous OGM celebrity.
She's thinking of skating for Canada because she has dual citizenship! why not if that's what she's thinking about.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
If Sarah is living for skating she won't hang up her skates at her first year in Yale. She said herself in a interview that she has not skated for almost a year.

This is an Olympics year. I'm no suprised for all these pre OGM media appearance. I'm waiting for updating from Oksona Biaul.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I thought that the article made it very clear that Hughes would not compete for Canada:

"I think it would be really cool to even just go and watch the Olympics in Vancouver," Hughes said. But, she hurried to add, "I don't plan to go and compete for Canada."

I think that mzheng has got it right -- that around Olys, there is a lot of "comeback talk", but if she really liked skating, she would have kept in practice while at Yale.

soogar

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I thought that the article made it very clear that Hughes would not compete for Canada:

"I think it would be really cool to even just go and watch the Olympics in Vancouver," Hughes said. But, she hurried to add, "I don't plan to go and compete for Canada."

I think that mzheng has got it right -- that around Olys, there is a lot of "comeback talk", but if she really liked skating, she would have kept in practice while at Yale.

Maybe it took a year off from training seriously for her to realize how much she loved it.

While Sarah might be adamant now about not competing for Canada, how is she to know how she will feel 4 years from now. If she resumes training and it is too competitive for the US, she might want to fall back on her dual citizenship to try for Canada. Especially if her sister will still be in the US mix by 2010, Maybe Sarah wouldn't want to directly compete with her sister Emily for a spot on the team and run the risk that either of them wouldn't be able to go.

R.D.

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Maybe it took a year off from training seriously for her to realize how much she loved it.

While Sarah might be adamant now about not competing for Canada, how is she to know how she will feel 4 years from now. If she resumes training and it is too competitive for the US, she might want to fall back on her dual citizenship to try for Canada. Especially if her sister will still be in the US mix by 2010, Maybe Sarah wouldn't want to directly compete with her sister Emily for a spot on the team and run the risk that either of them wouldn't be able to go.

Yeah, and take the easy way out? (No offense to Canadians, BTW.)

soogar

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Yeah, and take the easy way out? (No offense to Canadians, BTW.)

Well who can really tell what the Canadian ladies scene will look like in 4 years. New people might crop up. It certainly perked up a bit since the last Olympics.

R.D.

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Well who can really tell what the Canadian ladies scene will look like in 4 years. New people might crop up. It certainly perked up a bit since the last Olympics.

Good point. And same for the US- the ladies strength could dwindle, as well.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
"I'm pretty sure I won't compete, but there's an option," said Hughes

Hmmmm...sounds to me as if she just made a general statement. She doesn't sound at all serious about it. I think she is leaving the door open a bit just in case she changes her mind in the future. She sounds very dedicated to her educational persuits. She also sounds like she isn't applying too much pressure on herself. She is young, and even she must realize that it is hard to gauge exactly how you will feel about something 2-3 years in the future. I think this journalist was just being a journalist.....taking a very general statement and turning it into something almost entirely different. At any rate, I wish Sarah the best. She was a consistent, solid competitor and did very well for the U.S. internationally.

Eeyora

Final Flight
By 2008, it would probably be to late to go back and train. Maybe if she started training now. There would be some possibility.

euterpe

Medalist
It's talk, and you're right, Eeyora. If Sarah isn't in training now, she can't just start in 2008 and make progress sufficient to prepare for competition. At 19, Sarah trained during the summer months and toured in SOI for 6 months, yet over those 9 months, was never able to regain even one triple jump or a double axel. Why does she think it will be easier when she is 22?

havanamesa1

Rinkside
Red Dog said:
She owns her sport's biggest prize, what more is there to accomplish?

She has said that she wants to earn a National title. Plus, I'm sure she wants the respect of many people who know that her OGM win was only a fluke (it was just a lucky night for her that everyone else messed up).