Canadian 4CC/Worlds/Oly team announced | Golden Skate

Canadian 4CC/Worlds/Oly team announced

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
VANCOUVER (January 14, 2018) — The Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) and Skate Canada officially announced the 17 athletes and 12 coaches nominated to represent Team Canada in figure skating at the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018.

Skaters qualified for the team based on their performances during the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons as well as their results at the 2018 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships.
The skaters nominated are:
Name
Event
Hometown
Patrick Chan
Men’s singles
Toronto, ON
Keegan Messing
Men’s singles
Sherwood Park, AB/ Brampton, ON
Gabrielle Daleman
Women’s singles
Newmarket, ON
Kaetlyn Osmond
Women’s singles
Sherwood Park, AB/ Marystown, NL
Larkyn Austman
Women’s singles
Coquitlam, BC
Meagan Duhamel
Pairs
Lively, ON
Eric Radford
Pairs
Balmertown, ON
Julianne Séguin
Pairs
Longueuil, QC
Charlie Bilodeau
Pairs
Trois-Pistoles, QC
Kirsten Moore-Towers
Pairs
St. Catharines, ON
Michael Marinaro
Pairs
Sarnia, ON
Tessa Virtue
Ice dance
London, ON
Scott Moir
Ice dance
Ilderton, ON
Piper Gilles
Ice dance
Toronto, ON
Paul Poirier
Ice dance
Unionville, ON
Kaitlyn Weaver
Ice dance
Toronto, ON
Andrew Poje
Ice dance
Waterloo, ON

VANCOUVER, B.C.: After the senior events at the 2018 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships, Skate Canada named the teams for three upcoming ISU Championships. The week-long championships were held in Vancouver, B.C., at the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre from January 8-14, 2018.

2018 ISU WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
Milan, Italy – March 19-25, 2018
MEN
Patrick Chan
Keegan Messing
Alternate 1 – Nam Nguyen
Alternate 2 – Elladj Balde
Alternate 3 – Kevin Reynolds
WOMEN
Larkyn Austman
Gabrielle Daleman
Kaetlyn Osmond
Alternate 1 – Alaine Chartrand
Alternate 2 – Michelle Long
Alternate 3 – Alicia Pineault
PAIR
Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford
Kirsten Moore-Towers/Michael Marinaro
Julianne Seguin/Charlie Bilodeau
Alternate 1 – Lubov Ilyushechkina/Dylan Moscovitch
Alternate 2 – Camille Ruest/Drew Wolfe
Alternate 3 – Sydney Kolodziej/Maxime Deschamps
ICE DANCE
Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier
Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir
Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje
Alternate 1 – Carolane Soucisse/Shane Firus
Alternate 2 – Sarah Arnold/Thomas Williams
Alternate 3 – Haley Sales/Nikolas Wamsteeker

2018 ISU FOUR CONTINENTS FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
Taipei City, Chinese Taipei – January 22-27, 2018
MEN
Elladj Balde
Nam Nguyen
Kevin Reynolds
Alternate 1 – Roman Sadovsky
Alternate 2 – Liam Firus
Alternate 3 – Nicolas Nadeau
WOMEN
Alaine Chartrand
Michelle Long
Alicia Pineault
Alternate 1 – Sarah Tamura
Alternate 2 – Emy Decelles
PAIR
Lubov Ilyushechkina/Dylan Moscovitch
Sydney Kolodziej/Maxime Deschamps
Camille Ruest/Drew Wolfe
ICE DANCE
Sarah Arnold/Thomas Williams
Haley Sales/Nikolas Wamsteeker
Carolane Soucisse/Shane Firus
Alternate 1 – Molly Lanaghan/Dmitre Razgulajevs

2018 ISU JUNIOR WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
Sofia, Bulgaria – March 5-11, 2018
MEN
Conrad Orzel
Joseph Phan
Alternate 1 – Corey Circelli
Alternate 2 – Eric Liu
WOMEN
Aurora Cotop
Alternate 1 – Alison Schumacher
Alternate 2 – Olivia Gran
PAIR
Lori-Ann Matte/Thierry Ferland
Evelyn Walsh/Trennt Michaud
Alternate 1 – Gabrielle Levesque/Pier-Alexandre Hudon
Alternate 2 – Chloe Choinard/Mathieu Ostiguy
Alternate 3 – Chloe Panetta/Steven Lapointe
ICE DANCE
Marjorie Lajoie/Zachary Lagha
Olivia McIsaac/Elliott Graham
Alternate 1 – Ashlynne Stairs/Lee Royer
Alternate 2 – Ellie Fisher/Simon-Pierre Malette-Paquette

Canada (and all other countries) will have to decide whether they want to go all out to win the team event, or whether they want to spread out the team medal to more skaters and allow their individual medal threats a rest. All-out would be Virtue and Moir, Duhamel and Radford, and Chan to do both programs. The ladies can split (Osmond for short, Daleman for long.)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
As much as I see Mathman's point I think there is no way D/R and Patrick will do parts. I think S/B will do the long and Keegan will do the long.

Patrick did not want to do both segments in Sochi and D/R have at least a somewhat realistic shot at a medal in Pairs and skating both so close to when Pairs starts would be very hard. I'd love to see Patrick skate both segments personally.

Scout

Final Flight
Canada (and all other countries) will have to decide whether they want to go all out to win the team event, or whether they want to spread out the team medal to more skaters and allow their individual medal threats a rest. All-out would be Virtue and Moir, Duhamel and Radford, and Chan to do both programs. The ladies can split (Osmond for short, Daleman for long.)

I wonder if the athletes want a rest. With the exception of perhaps Virtue and Moir, the team event is the athlete's best shot at gold. And for Virtue and Moir, while gold is a very real possibility in the individual event, so is silver.

I take the long view of the team event. I think that as years go by the team event will rise in public interest. I think that 20 years from now, any country that deliberately did not try their best to win the team event will be kicking themselves.

Look at gymnastics. The Magnificent Seven won the team event at the 1996 Olympics for the UnitedStates, and are still the best-remembered group in U.S. gymnastics history. Individually, they got 8th, 9th, and 17th in the all around, but who cares about that? ;) IMHO Patrick should skate both short and long programs. He could be the hero bringing the Olympic gold medal in figure skating to Canada. :yes:

Can he do it? In the LP his toughest competition might be Rippon and Kovtun, assuming that Japan and China do not make the LP and other countries rest their biggest threats. The Canada team could swipe the gold and be forever remembered as "Olympic Gold Medalists." :rock:

Weathergal

Medalist
I take the long view of the team event. I think that as years go by the team event will rise in public interest. I think that 20 years from now, any country that deliberately did not try their best to win the team event will be kicking themselves.

Look at gymnastics. The Magnificent Seven won the team event at the 1996 Olympics for the UnitedStates, and are still the best-remembered group in U.S. gymnastics history. Individually, they got 8th, 9th, and 17th in the all around, but who cares about that? ;) IMHO Patrick should skate both short and long programs. He could be the hero bringing the Olympic gold medal in figure skating to Canada. :yes:

Can he do it? In the LP his toughest competition might be Rippon and Kovtun, assuming that Japan and China do not make the LP and other countries rest their biggest threats. The Canada team could swipe the gold and be forever remembered as "Olympic Gold Medalists." :rock:

Mathman, I like your views on the team event and comparing it to the team event in gymnastics. I never thought of it that way. One thing though: When you said the biggest threats to Canada in the Men's LP would be Rippon and Kovtun, did you mean Rippon and Kolyada?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Ahah.. Just listened to Patrick talking to PJ. He says he wants to do both segments. That's interesting.

Ziotic

Medalist
I hope it doesn't end up being a Plushenko situation. You know what I mean......

If they win gold I could see him do it. Also as much as Patrick is amazing he really doesn’t have the pull to say he will only do one program anymore. With Gabby winning the title and how Kaetlyn does with long programs I think the Fed is forced to split ladies. That only leaves one other discipline to split and D/R have a better shot at individual medal than Patrick. V/M have longer to rest so they can do both.

Realistically if he’s not willing to do both he’s letting down the team and letting go of what is his only change of Olympic gold.

Mathman, I like your views on the team event and comparing it to the team event in gymnastics. I never thought of it that way. One thing though: When you said the biggest threats to Canada in the Men's LP would be Rippon and Kovtun, did you mean Rippon and Kolyada?

I was assuming best case scenario for Patrick in the long program. USA sits out Nathan and RUS sits out Kolyada. -- Wait! Who is going for Russia?

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
I think at this point, Patrick has to do both. He didn't last time since he was a medal favourite. However, Patrick's FS even if it's a mess will likely be better than Keegan. In addition, at this point, Patrick has a higher chance of earning silver or higher in the team than in the individual. Besides, I don't think its fair to pick one of Gabby/Kaetlyn. I think it will be Kaetlyn short and Gabby free.

As for the other sub, it should be Seguin/Bilodeau for the FS. After this nationals, I don't think Weaver/Poje will likely get a shot (even thought they probably deserve it).

andromache

Record Breaker
Patrick and V/M for both programs, then split pairs and ladies. V/M can skate safe and conservative and still smash B/S in the team event (which is all that really matters). W/P or P/G will get beaten by B/S, which is bad. Patrick has no chance at an individual medal - his moment to shine could be in bringing team gold home for Canada.

The best Canadian strategy is pretty obviously this - will be more interesting to see what Russia does. B/S for both programs, two ladies....then men and pairs are the question marks, and probably dependent on what happens at Europeans.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm not surprised that Patrick will skate both programs for Team Canada. He is taking the Team event seriously with golden hope. As well, it's one more competition experience he really needs for his Singles event.

Go Canada!

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I was assuming best case scenario for Patrick in the long program. USA sits out Nathan and RUS sits out Kolyada. -- Wait! Who is going for Russia?

Russia will name the team after Euros. At this state, it looks like Kolyada and Samarin maybe Aliev or Voronov instead of Samarin.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Patrick has no chance at an individual medal - his moment to shine could be in bringing team gold home for Canada.

I think that's a false statement
Sure, with all the quads guys are doing he seems out of it, But i can definitely see a scenario
where he's on the podium, When he's clean he gets scored very high,
And it's not like the men have been super solid this season, Any of them

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Just returning to the selection of the team for a moment - I'm really pleased to see neither Keegan nor Larkyn get stiffed for a more seasoned competitor finishing just below them in nationals. Have the Canadian selectors always gone strictly with placement at nationals or has anyone ever been passed over?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If they win gold I could see him do it. Also as much as Patrick is amazing he really doesn’t have the pull to say he will only do one program anymore. With Gabby winning the title and how Kaetlyn does with long programs I think the Fed is forced to split ladies. That only leaves one other discipline to split and D/R have a better shot at individual medal than Patrick. V/M have longer to rest so they can do both.

Realistically if he’s not willing to do both he’s letting down the team and letting go of what is his only change of Olympic gold.

I thinkit also gives Patrick a chance to compete his two programs. I am very melancholy about Patrick. I sometimes hate what he says or how it might sound but I do hope for a clean miracle skate.I am so saddened to see such a special skater lose interest and focus. He needs to find his raison d'etre.

I have so many mixed feelings about Weaver and Poje. I hope they stick around. But maybe at least two years to Montreal? This team is always so close and on the edge of greatness. Now they probably won't get a medal come olympics.

Canada has to be careful. If the Knerims do their best and a few errors they could beat Canada in a segment, they go with W/P who lose badly to say the Americans, Russians and say Italy or France, Chan gets killed by everyone and Osmond and or Daleman are off the Americans or Russians could win gold and silver.

Strategy is key.As for being tired well I guess it has to be considered like practice for the individual events.

Canada went with the podium results. I/M and Kristen and Michael was a close one though I/M were substantially behind at Nats.Michael has worked hard on presentation and the lifts and twists that seem scarey sometimes with this team. I/M will probably be seen at worlds if D/R medal at the olympics. I do feel bad for Dylan especially. I am not privvy to all the details. But I understand Kristen wanted a long term partner to skate to2022. Dylan was not even committed to 2018 and thus their break up. I do wonder what 4 years together would have produced technically and artistically But that is a pipe dream.

Canada in a dream world has the dream/fantasy with a bit of reality of winning seven medals and on the conservative side two medals - team and dance. The dream- Osmond and Daleman slim chance to repeat podium finishes, Chan super slim for bronze, Duhamel and Radford a medal of some color, Virtue and Moir gold or silver and Weaver and Pojewho were 4th last year a slight chance for bronze. Then a team medal.