Carolina Kostner out of Nationals due to injury | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner out of Nationals due to injury

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry to hear this. Wishing Carolina a full & speedy recovery so that she can have a satisfying Olympics.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
this will give her a chance to either tweak the hell out of scheherazade or raise bolero back from the dead! after her last two unfortunate outings at the olympics, i'm hoping the magic of ravel (and its skating history) will help her to rise to the occasion.

She is in great company with Joubert and Browning with disappointing Olympics.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
this will give her a chance to either tweak the hell out of scheherazade or raise bolero back from the dead! after her last two unfortunate outings at the olympics, i'm hoping the magic of ravel (and its skating history) will help her to rise to the occasion.

I know people love Bolero but I wasn't a fan of it; you can't really touch it after Torvill and Dean it seems rather sad to even try and Carolina does have a certain elegance but I am not sure bolero is the best music anyways - it can be kind of rather draining and almost from a distance kind of march and rather pedantic. At least for me I am not emotionally charged by the music - something about it sounds rather standoffish or distances or it doesn't reach into your emotional soul. I know how weird - it is so hard to use words sometimes to explain. :(

I know people love Bolero but I wasn't a fan of it; you can't really touch it after Torvill and Dean it seems rather sad to even try and Carolina does have a certain elegance but I am not sure bolero is the best music anyways - it can be kind of rather draining and almost from a distance kind of march and rather pedantic. At least for me I am not emotionally charged by the music - something about it sounds rather standoffish or distances or it doesn't reach into your emotional soul. I know how weird - it is so hard to use words sometimes to explain. :(

I have a lot of the same feelings about Bolero. I loved Torvill and Dean's program, of course, but because of their skating, not because of the music itself. The actual music I find rather droning and repetitive. For a "passionate" piece I far prefer the Liebestod from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde, or the balcony scene music from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. The latter piece is probably better for skating because of its pace, though it would have to be extracted to fit the time requirement.

The Prokofiev (okay, this is cheating--this video shows Nureyev and Fonteyn, so how could it be anything but impassioned?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtBRN5BXt6o