Christine Brennan Sounds Off Again! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Christine Brennan Sounds Off Again!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
That would be nice. But interest in figure skating has fallen so low that no newspaper would ever hire someone to cover it. :(

No helping it then. Look to oustide journalists for your figure skating fix.

Brennan's first book on figure skating, Inside Edge, was named by Sports Illustrated as one if the top 100 books ever written about sports. (Her second book, The Edge of Glory, is even better, IMHO.) She was the founding president of the Association of Women in Sports Media and a pioneer for opportunities for women in journalism.

She liked Medvedeva's performances better than Zagitova's. Is that a crime? So did Johnny Weir. :laugh: Brennan is not a big fan of the whole CoP scoring thing, but that's a whole 'nother topic. (I mean," that's another topic altogether.")

fenway3

On the Ice
That would be nice. But interest in figure skating has fallen so low that no newspaper would ever hire someone to cover it. :(

Well, maybe some reputable journalist should step up and do some charity work then. :biggrin:

Classic example of a journalist without basic education in critical thinking principles.

I dunno—she always seems plenty critical to me. ;)

Many years ago, someone made a comment about Brennan that I think really summed her up. This is what the person said: "The problem with Brennan isn't that she's a bad journalist—it's that she's a half-good one."

curtadams

Spectator
But it is sad like in men's to see how this is a jumping game.
Go look at some skates from the 90's if you want to see a jumping game. I was just looking at Urmanov '94 - an Olympic gold winner - and there's nothing good but jumps. Minimal footwork, slow and short spins (I was actually wondering if he was getting the required # of revolutions) and not even much choreography when he's actually skating. I know that was one of the controversial decisions and Stojko's program seems better to me now, with a decent footwork sequence and better spins, but even his non-jump elements are still quite weak compared to what we see today.

It's true that competitions are decided mostly by jump difficulty and quality, but that is mostly because everybody does similarly great on all the other elements.

I am not so upset the Amercian ladies didn't do that well but hardly horrific - two ladies in the top ten - almost all three. But it is sad like in men's to see how this is a jumping game. But the three medallists deserved to be on the podium. No question - sorry fans of the Japanese ladies but I don't know how she did it but Osmond had the best combination of artistry and tech prowess.

My favourite was Satoko and I was prepared to roast Kaetlyn based on past performances of her Black Swan, but then she went out and put 2 great programs, so I could accept the fact that she was my bronze medalist. Her jumps were simply on point and more powerful that day.

As for Alina, I thought she was slightly off sync with the music and more concentrated on making the jumps. I've seen her put out better performances of Don Quixote and I wish people what had seen those instead. No matter what, artistry will always be subjective and some people will always see it as merely a backloaded program. I remember lurking on GS before joining and everyone was hating on Zhenya's expressive O-faces and over the top miming, so of course Alina is going to look more stiff in comparison. I would never apply the word artistry on them though because they're missing the fluidity that Maria and some of the Japanese girls have.

Also I love Zhenya, but that flutz should have been called. The judges let her get away with it for far too long and it doesn't seem like she's aware of it from the interviews. It's difficult to argue that she's the "complete package" and should be the OGM if her tech wasn't there.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I'm honestly getting major whiplash from these hot takes. I could have sworn certain people really seemed to have it out for Medvedeva just a season ago. They were criticizing her as an interloper amongst women skaters. And now all this fawning praise about how she's such a complete skater and Zagitova's the interloper, it feels disingenuous.

I feel like when you strip away all the superficial criticisms, Zagitova's main flaw—just as Medvedeva's before her—is that she's throwing it down like a top athlete and dominating.

So the reason is haters? :DD
I think the reason is that they dominate with a huge margin and "unbeatable" status, even though they are not completely polished; with unnecessarily inflated GOEs and PCS.

Everything is relative. Zagitova won TES by 2 points and Medvedeva won PCS by 2 points. There's your article. :yes:

Zagitova practically only won by having a higher BV. Lower GOE total than Med, and of course lower PCS. So really, there is no article, because the judges are saying that "Medvedeva is a better artist and technician, but pity she can't do a 3Lz-3Lo".

Brennan's article is nonsense, for all the reasons said here. But she's especially trying to create a narrative of Med=Michelle i.e. the more artistic skater, and Zag=Tara i.e. the more technical one, but this is false, according to the judges. She "gamed the system", and yet the judges still preferred Med. Where's the story?

That final difference is less than that of a 3Lz-3Lo (not even bacloaded!) to a 3F-3T, BTW, and guess who does which? Even if Zag hadn't backloaded and was "comparable" "artistically", she would've won with the better combo.

What I'm saying here is that: In the SP, both backload. So the better combo and solo jump won. (created a difference of 1.3)

In the LP, Zagitova beat Med on TES by 2.5 points -- that's around the difference of doing a non-bacloaded 3Lz-3Lo instead of 3F-3T (1.5), and a non-backloaded 3Lz instead of 3Lo (though they both backload those).

There's no story here. Even ignoring the shoddy basis, there's nothing here.

She could "sound off" about PCS rising, but she can't do it without considering at least Med's own.

Anyway, none of their programs need (or deserve) further analysis, IMO. Funny how terrible journalism makes you do these things.

Proxy

On the Ice
But the judges had been propping up Zagitova’s long program component score as the 2017-18 season wore on.

Uhhh...they've been doing that for the other Russian too.

Alina just beat her at her own game.

pearly

Record Breaker
The entire concept of attacking a 15 year old girl is plain wrong. Alina skated what she was given. I find it very hard to believe Brennan hasn't heard of Eteri and seen her results prior to this Olympic free skate.

Write your article about the coach, not two teenagers who barely get any say in this.