Christine Brennan Sounds Off Again! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Christine Brennan Sounds Off Again!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Could it be that what seems like harsh criticism of skaters is actually disappointment? Because here we usually have a very clear number one person or pair it's not usually about which one is preferred. You saw it a little with Kurt and Elvis I guess. And I guess now with Gabby and Kaetlyn but I think, from what I have seen, both are really liked here. With fields as deep as you have in Russia I guess it could seem like someone is getting preferential treatment. Especially in ladies where you could send 6 or 7 but are only allowed to send 3.

Of course, it's a disappointment. Kolyada has 103 point score this season. His mission was to skate his best at team event - no one expected him to get the podium in individual competition. With Patrick's meltdown it was not a megatask: he just had to deliver a 90+ point performance. Then we would be ahead of Canada after men. Then T/M would be kept for the long (I guess) and Russia had a shot on gold. With his inconsistent quad lutz he just had to have clean 3Lz-4T3T-3A - not an impossible task for the leading Russian man. Yes, it was a big disappointment and, hence, harsh words.

Matt K

On the Ice
Christine Brennan enjoys creating controversy when there is none. Ice Dance, Ladies, Pairs, what have you. "Journalists" like her would be best covering sports other than figure skating. Very much wrongfully taints the sport in a negative light. Very shameful.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think for me it's just that I never hear positive things from these journalists? Like once Phil referred to one skater as a 'poor man's version' of another skater. That's just beyond harsh. Criticism should make sense IMO. E.g. In the IFS article for podium predictions they pointed out that Tarasova/Morosov's FS is not up to the level of the other pairs. That eventually did end up hurting them.

I guess I'm too used to people like Beverely Smith, Pj Kwong, and Lori Ewing to get the hang of Christine and Phil, despite their long histories.

But Canada also has Rosie DiManno. She would be in a photo-finish with Brennan for most negative figure skating journalist.

I know, it's easier to ignore her when there are much better writers readily available.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Me thinks Christine Brennan needs to put on some figure skates and learn how to skate so she knows the hard work that's involved in becoming a champion figure skater.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
But Canada also has Rosie DiManno. She would be in a photo-finish with Brennan for most negative figure skating journalist.

I know, it's easier to ignore her when there are much better writers readily available.

I haven't forgotten Rosie. I just don't know anyone who gives her importance?

Canadians never let Rosie go though. I know people have sent complaints en masse about her to the Star and no one defends her or apologizes for her work or history. Her latest work does seem to be headed in a more positive direction....perhaps a result of the complaints she's gotten.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
She and Rosie DiManno should really write a book together

Last time I saw Rosie's name in the press, she was writing an article re the Miss Universe Canada pageant. I hope she sticks with pageants and stops writing articles about sports.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So Zagitova shouldn't have optimized her programs technically and allowed Medvedeva (who backloaded her SP, mind you) to win.