Daniel Grassl back in Italy | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Daniel Grassl back in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And they are not authorities of my perception of reality or the reality of other human beings on this planet :shrug:
Some others, maybe. Are you seriously suggesting that it is their responsibility to track down every single athlete who is not where they said they would be for testing? (Remember, if they do it for one, no matter how famous and Daniel Grassl is NOT that famous, they have to do it for all).

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Some others, maybe. Are you seriously suggesting that it is their responsibility to track down every single athlete who is not where they said they would be for testing? (Remember, if they do it for one, no matter how famous and Daniel Grassl is NOT that famous, they have to do it for all).
The point is - he was not hiding, everybody knew where he was and where he was training... Nobody can convince me that it is the right procedure to request availability of one person to be tested in one place/country, when he is for the knowing fact in another....

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The point is - he was not hiding, everybody knew where he was and where he was training... Nobody can convince me that it is the right procedure to request availability of one person to be tested in one place, when he is for the knowing fact in another....

Everybody did not know where Daniel Grassl was.

The vast majority of people on this planet, and I daresay in the Italian anti-doping authority, are not following Daniel Grassl's every move with bated breath.

As has been said time and again, it is Daniel's responsibility to tell the anti-doping authority where he is, not for the anti-doping authority to scroll through the social media of a figure skater. As a human being, I would be upset (if I cared enough) if that was how the anti-doping authority personnel spent their time.

The only rational, practical thing under these circumstances (as well as the actual procedure) is for Daniel to tell the anti-doping authority where he is, and for them to take him at his word.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Everybody did not know where Daniel Grassl was.

The vast majority of people on this planet, and I daresay in the Italian anti-doping authority, are not following Daniel Grassl's every move with bated breath.

As has been said time and again, it is Daniel's responsibility to tell the anti-doping authority where he is, not for the anti-doping authority to scroll through the social media of a figure skater. As a human being, I would be very upset if that was how the anti-doping authority personnel spent their time.
I was already saying to you that for them knowing where Daniel is, is the same fact they know there is a moon on the sky... But OK, lets pretend they didn't...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was already saying to you that for them knowing where Daniel is, is the same fact they know there is a moon on the sky... But OK...

That is your opinion. But I have not seen any proof that they knew. If you do, please present it, I am not being snarky, I would love to see it. Actual, real proof that the Italian anti-doping authority through approved channels knew where Daniel was.

Someone thinking "They must have known" is not the same as "They did know".

Someone saying "They could have found out" is not the same as "They did know".

Not at all the same thing as the moon is in the sky. :)

Magill

Record Breaker
I was already saying to you that for them knowing where Daniel is, is the same fact they know there is a moon on the sky... But OK, lets pretend they didn't...
It does not mater what they knew or not. They were obligated to go look for him where he himself told them to go and nowhere else. He was not there? Too bad for him. It is nobody's responsibility to double guess what he thought or what he forgot when indicating his "find me there" spot in the system. He put in an address and it was his obligation to be there where they came.
I am pretty sure you understand :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The point is - he was not hiding, everybody knew where he was and where he was training... Nobody can convince me that it is the right procedure to request availability of one person to be tested in one place/country, when he is for the knowing fact in another....
Oh for goodness sake, again, do you expect them to keep tabs on where every athlete in the competitive world is on any given day of the month? We know about Daniel but really, he and all skaters except perhaps one or two superstars are not that well-known that the officials in an overreaching sporting body would be breathlessly following his every move. Hell, even Shoma Uno or Nathan Chen would probably not expect the anti-doping officials in their countries to chase after them if they weren't where they said they would be, and they - well Shoma at least - is far more likely to be covered in the news than most.

And even those one or two superstars knew they had to follow the rules.

As I said we don't know where they sent the messages, or that he did change his address and was even then expected to return to Italy for testing or could do it in Russia (my guess, the latter if he told them.). If he did not alert them to the Russian address it is on him and his team. He knows the rules. They all do. I genuinely hope he can explain it satisfactorily, but 'not my fault you didn't find me' is not gonna cut it.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is getting too much really.

EVEN when a skater remains in their "home-training facility", not competing, no nothing, they have to provide an exact location and time of day (one hour) where they will be located by agents. This is not about being abroad. It's not about "we all know Daniel was in Russia, why look for him in Italy? " It's nothing like that. The whereabouts is an agreed place of meeting but more over, a specific time frame on top of the place of meeting. It's a date. If your date tells you, I will be at this coffee shop at 6pm, don't look for them anywhere else any other time. End of story.

BTW : from hearing a few interviews of athletes talking about this : it's not really that hard to deal with. Most of them will give their home location, very very early in the morning, before getting out of the house, so they know for sure that they will be there if needed, or any very easy for them to manage time/location.

Can we please move on from "but they knew he wasn't in Italy?" It makes absolutely no sense in the context of how this process works.

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
We are talking about 3 missed tests within 12 month. Daniel Grassl was from August 2022 - 2023 for training in US, Italy and Russia. Perhaps he had choreo session or training camps somewhere else, he was in vacation during this 12 month. If he has no logtime visa for the different countries he has to travel even more back and forward. This is not watching the moon that is try to catch a shooting star

icewhite

Record Breaker
Whatever it is or could be, you'd have to give notice about that and not just shrug and think "I can't do it, I'll leave it".

Lol, no of course not, that's not what I meant. I was talking about a possible case where he didn't see things were wrong because he himself didn't experience problems... and he wasn't informed as he should have been... I have no idea if that is actually a possibility. I just didn't want to rule it out for fairness' sake exactly because I have no clue.

icewhite

Record Breaker
We are talking about 3 missed tests within 12 month. Daniel Grassl was from August 2022 - 2023 for training in US, Italy and Russia. Perhaps he had choreo session or training camps somewhere else, he was in vacation during this 12 month. If he has no logtime visa for the different countries he has to travel even more back and forward. This is not watching the moon that is try to catch a shooting star

Not sure I'm getting what you are saying.

Urumi

Spectator
I mean it’s just logic. We can’t expect officials to chase them around or know more about the athlete beside what is entered in whatever the tracking software is. They probably test hundreds of athletes everyday and I’m sure that most of the time they have no idea who the athletes is. That’s not their job. They just get sent there to test.

Whatever happened here is a problem of Daniel, his coach/management (or club) and FISG. Considering that Daniel in the past was the only one with a shot at a medal in the Italian camp, I would expect FISG to be more attentive to him. Or in general, they should be really active in helping their athletes do what they need to do. Absurd that they let him go to Russia (during a war and a massive doping scandal), gain all that negative press, and then end up in this situation. Every news is worse than the other.

Last edited:

ana

On the Ice
So he didn't inform WADA his correct adress!! That's very stupid and he has no excuse.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure what to make of the drug allegations/test issues. Daniel Grassl I am sure has his reasons but the coaching/training changes have not helped his reputation. WHen a skater changes coaches/training that much, that quickly it is like the ship is sinking and he is flailing/panicking. Maybe, sorry Danie fans, he just doesn't have what it takes to be a top medallist? I admit i thought he did but these almost desperate coaching moves makes me wonder. Italy has some other fine men skaters; right or wrong his image is taking a beating.

Urumi

Spectator
I am not sure what to make of the drug allegations/test issues. Daniel Grassl I am sure has his reasons but the coaching/training changes have not helped his reputation. WHen a skater changes coaches/training that much, that quickly it is like the ship is sinking and he is flailing/panicking. Maybe, sorry Danie fans, he just doesn't have what it takes to be a top medallist? I admit i thought he did but these almost desperate coaching moves makes me wonder. Italy has some other fine men skaters; right or wrong his image is taking a beating.

Right. He tried to do something for his career last year when he went to USA. But changes take time and I’m assuming he wasn’t prepared to go through that and see bad results in the process. There was so much to change (and the pressure of the season, possible chances of meddling, and Italian Olympics) and his performance tanked. That is probably why he went through this coach change spree. Nothing can be fixed in a short time!

Probably the right choice would have been to stay in USA and continue with the work but with the chance of missing any podium placement in the 2022 season. He did go to the GPF and won UK GP after all.

But nationals were a mess and Euro were right around the corner. That’s probably how it happened (plus Tut students were training there). THAT was the moment where the federation should have stepped in to say a big no.
Not sure if they actually thought Tut could actually help him and didn’t say much or if he decided to go against their will. Anyway here we are…

So a long saga which turned awful. We do have other men but it’s awful all this happened. It’s a bad image for the sport in our country 😞

Status
Not open for further replies.