Disturbing Web Page | Golden Skate

Disturbing Web Page

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Hi Guys,

I was bored, so I typed in several skaters who have left the skating scene, and one was Yulia Lavrenchuk. I'd wondered what happened to her, and I found this page, and it seems very cryptic as to where she is...does anyone really know?

anyhow, have a look for yourselves...

Yulia's Fan Page

youarewhipped

Match Penalty
What I was told was that she nearly died. Her coach starved her and her weight was just north of 50lbs! She is alive, but I think she still has weight problems. She is no longer skating, but I believe she's coaching. This is what I was told, I did not hear this first hand from Yulia.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I clicked on the link and found, at the bottom of the web page, and add for the Atkins Diet. Interesting ...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
They don't have anything to do with the ads on that site... that's just to keep the thing free of charge or whatever... my site has those too

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
coach

youarewhipped said:
What I was told was that she nearly died. Her coach starved her and her weight was just north of 50lbs! She is alive, but I think she still has weight problems. She is no longer skating, but I believe she's coaching. This is what I was told, I did not hear this first hand from Yulia.

Didn't she share the same coach as Liashenko? If they did, was it just a matter of favouritism, because Liashenko and Lavrenchuk were the same weight...

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
They don't have anything to do with the ads on that site... that's just to keep the thing free of charge or whatever... my site has those too

I didn't think they did, but it is ironic.

tvcats

Rinkside
Alright, this is really OT, but it's my understanding that the ads on Angelfire pages will be generated by key words found on the site.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I've hit the link twice. Each time I got different ads at the bottom, and none were for the Atkins diet.

A heartbreaking story and one that I think happens far more often than most of us imagine. I don't want to get into a discussion/argument about how not all thin people have eating disorders, which is certainly true, but speaking only for myself, I feel concerned for the weights of Qing Pang and the Zhang girl. Even Jenny Kirk looked frail to my eyes at IFSC, though I'm sure Richard Callaghan isn't "starving" her or even putting pressure on her to lose weight. It's an inherent problem in all sports where a low body weight is an advantage--for women, gymnastics, diving, figure skating, distance running, to name just a few; for men--wrestling, diving, distance running.

I recently read that last season Sasha Cohen was eating almost no carbohydrates, just lean protein and salads. Remember when people wondered if she had gotten too thin? A diet of less than about 60 grams of carbohydrate a day puts the body in a kind of starvation mode. Fortunately, Cohen then said she had changed her diet after reading up on and studying nutrition and how the body works and is now including complex carbohydrates in her diet.

The brain requires a lot of carbohydrate to function, as does the body, and any athlete who is undernourished is not going to function at its best for long. OTOH, the body is built for starvation--actually for periods of starvation interspersed with periods of feast--so ironically, athletes can compete at a high level often for years before the effects of being undernourished start showing up. Unfortunately, anytime you have a sport that promises great advantages there will be people who will take advantage of those who love the sport. I hope Yulia recovers well. Her skating wasn't great, but I enjoyed watching her.
Rgirl

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
The book "All Sundays Yet To Come A Skaters Journey", it has some insight into someone with a eating disorder. Anyone else read this?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
malinina

IDLERACER said:
Speaking of anorexics, does anyone know what Tatiana Malinina is up to these days?

Was she anorexic? She retired after 2002, but I don't know what she's been up to. My guess is she and husband Roman Skornyakov are trying to have a family... but she needs to put on weight. One of my co-workers had trouble conceiving because she was too thin...

windspirit

On the Ice
valuvsmk said:
Unless you're her doctor, your post is just rude.
But if he were her doctor, his post would be a basis for a lawsuit. http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/judge.gif

Rgirl said:
It's an inherent problem in all sports where a low body weight is an advantage--for women, gymnastics, diving, figure skating, distance running, to name just a few; for men--wrestling, diving, distance running.
Wrestling, too? Hmm, one would think they'd rather had some meat on them. I don't know how many of you are familiar with Sven Hannawald (a German ski-jumper). He has quite a following in Europe (the fact that he's rather easy on the eyes certainly hasn't hurt him ;) Here's a pic of him from an ad for yogurt). Anyway, sometime during last Olympics, I think, some newspaper published his pic in Speedos... It was s-c-a-r-y. Officially, he says that he was "very close to anorexia", or "on the best way to it," but I've read he definitely had it, and now found this:

=============================
Jumpers trim the pounds
The goal in ski jumping is flying the farthest, and the prevailing wisdom is the lighter, the better. The average weight of the five U.S. male jumpers is 132 pounds.

But dieting may be going too far. One of the favorites in today's 90-meter event, Germany's Sven Hannawald, has battled back from severe anorexia. Anorexia among jumpers was discussed at a recent sports medicine conference.

"Everybody's trying to emphasize being like a bird to fly," said U.S. jumper Alan "Airborne" Alborn, a 5-10, 128-pounder.

That means eating like a bird. Alborn, 21, said his daily intake includes little more than tiny portions of cereal, fruit, rice and fish filets that must be no bigger than his palm. :eek:

"It's almost like we're a science project," Alborn said.

=============================

Well, isn't it a little similar, like experimenting with jumps in skating (and dieting too, of course)? I mean, people are still pushing the number and difficulty in jumps. We still want "higher, better, farther"... And a human body can only take so much.

skatepixie

On the Ice
Kirk, Pang, and Cohen all look fine to me. No EDs there. Pang is just tiny with a long ribcage. I dont know who the "Zhang Girl" is, or what she looks like, so I cant comment.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
My cousin plays football and wrestles for his high school team. For football season the coach wants more weight on him. When wrestling season starts the wrestling coach wants him lighter. The goal is for him to be at the top weight allowance but in a weight class lower than his usual (non wrestling season weight). For this team the coach takes the athletes he has and shapes them into the weights they need to make up his team.:eek: :eek: :eek: This can't be healthy. It's probably easier to do at this age and if one is in good health, but it sure doesn't set a very good example. As long as sports programs at all levels continue to value championships over the well being of the athletes it will continue.:cry: :( :sheesh:

Piel

This is a very serious problem for wrestlers. Often they have to lose several pounds on the very day of the competition to make weight. They do this by dehydrating themselves. There have been quite a few instances of school wrestlers keeling over from various health emergencies because of this.
Originally posted by valuvsmk:

Unless you're her doctor, your post is just rude.
But if he were her doctor, his post would be a basis for a lawsuit -- Windspirit
This is a little bit off topic, but in Mark Lund¡¦s book Frozen Assets there is a chapter on Oksana Baiul which features very long quotes from her psychiatrist. He goes all into her history and medical condition. I thought this was an outrageous breach of professional ethics.

Mathman

PS. Here are some pictures of Dan Zhang. Hard to tell if she is just naturally thin and healthy. (BTW, for those of us who like the pictures and videos at Shanfan's site, that has been changed to www.icechampions.com. She seems to be still working on it. At least just now when I went there it was very slow loading.)

http://home.snafu.de/eberl/archiv/p...hang_hao_chn_jwm00_ex_a_tino_eberl_268-36.jpg

http://home.snafu.de/eberl/archiv/p...zhang_hao_chn_jwm00_ex_b_tino_eberl_268-e.jpg

http://www.icechampions.com/pairs/zhangzhang/zz01jw3.jpg

http://www.icechampions.com/pairs/zhangzhang/zz01jw4.jpg

http://www.icechampions.com/pairs/zhangzhang/zz01jw8.jpg

http://www.icechampions.com/pairs/zhangzhang/zz01jw6.jpg

Last edited:

giseledepkat

Rinkside
I know I read recently that Zhang/Zhang were now the tallest pairs skaters in China, with Dan at 5'5" and her partner 6'. It went on to say that Dan was on a diet to keep her weight under 100 lbs. She was quoted as saying something like it's hard at first but then you get used to it.

This really caught my attention because I'm 5'5" myself, and I cannot even begin to imagine weighing less than 100 lbs. At my very lightest and most athletic I weighed 112 (and I'm sure not saying what I weigh now, lol!). At under 100, I don't know how she can have enough muscle mass to support those throw jump landings! Not to mention the energy issues.

Oh well, maybe she's just very "smallboned".

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I know I read recently that Zhang/Zhang were now the tallest pairs skaters in China, with Dan at 5'5" and her partner 6'. It went on to say that Dan was on a diet to keep her weight under 100 lbs. She was quoted as saying something like it's hard at first but then you get used to it.

I just read this in the new IFS magazine and couldn't believe it. For someone who is 5'5", being under a 100 lbs is way too low.