Disturbing Web Page | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Disturbing Web Page

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Thank you Sugarcoated. I too admire and appreciate your courage and candor in sharing your story to help educate us about this disease. It is shameful how society treats those with diseases where the body is not obviously bleeding, broken, or the symptoms can't be easily explained. The public's misconception that diseases such as weight disorders (copyright RG), diseases that respond to stress, emotional disorders, addictions, etc. are simply issues of one being in or out of control make dealing with these chronic ilnesses even more difficult and frustrating for those who have them. Good luck, my prayers are with you.

Piel

skatepixie

On the Ice
Tove said:

Why I'm really posting, is because I have to say something about the Jian Pang. I have always seen her in a dress, and then it looks a little better, but at Cup of Russia she practiced wearing tight pants, and she did not look healthy, her bones were sticking out from her hips, and I do not say she have an eating disorder, I just say that she does not look healthy, and I feel very sorry for her, even if she is skinny by nature....

Is there a picture somewhere?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Sugarcoated...

I too want to thank your for sharing your personal story in the interest of helping others better understand the complex and very challenging nature of eating disorders. I wish you the very best as you work through your own situation.

DG

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
she had a downright rotten voice and never was pretty or a good performer.

:rolleye: and we ALL know that only gorgeous people should be allowed to be in the public eye... those of us who look geeky or unattractive due to no fault of our own might as well crawl into a hole and die :rolleye:

and unless I'm getting the wrong performer Karen Carpenter had a decent voice...

To say she stunk would be saying she sounded as bad as Brittany "Lip Sync" Spears.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Have to put my two cents in. I loved Karen Carpenter and thought she was very attractive. That is my opinion. There are a lot of people that have hurtful things said about them that would put them over the edge. If you ever saw the movie made about them and the way her mother treated her you would understand more. That is also one of the things wrong with Tonya H. Look at the way her mother gave her a tongue lashing all the time. My mother was that way too but she also took it out with the razor strop. Sure fixed my confidence level.

Karen Carpenter had a beautiful voice. Throaty, haunting, like she was pouring out her soul. Check out her Christmas Album (the original album was perfect, then they kind of messed it up when it came out in a CD by adding some material by her brother alone that brought down the overall quality).

Amen to what Piel said about ailments that do not have outward symptoms that have easy diagnostic tests.

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
skatepixie said:

A normal person would be thrown off the edge by a reporter calling them fat.

This is why it is important for one to develop self esteem that comes from qualities other than superficial ones like appearance, and what the media thinks. IMO (I won't use the word normal...what's that,LOL?) a person with a HEALTHY self image would NOT be thrown off by a reporter's comment.

never did understand why Karen C made it as a singer....she had a downright rotten voice and never was pretty or a good performer. Its very sad what happened to her. I wonder if it haddent happened if anyone would still talk about her at all...

Karen Carpenter had one of the most heavenly voices ever. She didn't have to resort to the vocal gymnastics that Christina and Mariah do or perform half naked. That girl could just open her mouth and sing! I attended several Carpenter's concerts in high school and every time the venue was packed. Everyone attending seemed to be enjoying the performances too! (Nothing personal, but I don't think that it was because of Richard.) Their music wasn't everyone's cup of tea but made quite an impact in the early 70's. I wonder how many proms/weddings have used "We've Only Just Begun"?

Piel

Last edited:

Sk8harvest

Rinkside
This is a very interesting topic. I am 5'6" and naturally weighed 110 - 115Lbs throughout my late teens, my 20's and into my early 30's, and I could eat anything. When I hit 35 or so the weight began to creep up, about 5lbs a year. When I finally got up to 150+ lbs I realized that I can no longer eat anything I want. I learned to eat fruits and veggies more, and fats, sweets and breads less (still have a sweet tooth though, and I still LOVE to eat!)

Recently a male friend recently told me, "I'm glad you finally decided to gain some weight, you were anorexic for so many years." I was astonished. This guy saw me demolished cheeseburger and chili-cheese fries for years, yet he assumed I had an eating disorder because I was thin. As others have said here, thin does not automatically equal eating disorder.

Regarding Karen Carpenter, I thought she had a lovely voice, and was very saddened by her death and more importantly, by the reason for her death. So many women struggle with our self-image, hate our bodies, devalue our worth.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Ahhh, but how many from your school's choir have had the success that Karen Carpenter did...she was VERY successful.

Tove

On the Ice
I'm so sorry, I didn't took photos of Pang & Tongs practice.....

I know about the fact that one look "more healthy" on photos and tv, but live you can't hide it. it must be hard to be around, to be examined all the time, knowing people think all kinds of thoughts about you, but it's also one of the aspects of beeing a skater, since it's also so focused on the looks. For doing sports in general at this high level, one must have huuuge mental strength!

giseledepkat

Rinkside
skatepixie said:
Karen had only an octave. You couldnt even make advanced choir at our school with her voice....

You may be right about the octave part, skatepixie.....or maybe the songs she sang just featured that part of her range because it was so lovely.

Even if she did only have one octave, I'd have to agree with the majority that her vocal quality was unique and luxurious. Her voice commanded attention; I always felt like you were being invited to sink into the sound. Karen's voice was truly distinctive, too -- easily recognisable after only one or two seconds of listening.

Of course, that's not always a good thing -- one could say the same of Neil Diamond, too, for instance :p (No offense to ND fans....)

skatepixie

On the Ice
I dont think even that one octave is very pretty, either. I guess it has a lot to do with what you are used to hearing.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I was in my teens...

...when Karen lived, and also when she died. I have a very hard time at this stage criticizing her voice when she cannot possibly be here to defend it. The Carpenters were just a "mainstay" in the mix of music I listened to in my teen years. I just can't possibly be critical of Karen - who sounded beautiful to me - who died way before her time. (one of many who have passed before their time in that industry)

DG