Do most people find it difficult to be fans of both Michelle and Sasha? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Do most people find it difficult to be fans of both Michelle and Sasha?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Personally, I don't find it hard to be a fan of both Michelle and Sasha. Honestly, I root for Michelle with the most intensity, but that doesn't mean that I don't or can't enjoy Sasha. She didn't completely win me over until her "Malaguena" SP performance from 04 Worlds. I had been saying for a year that I would become a bonafied (card carrying and all!) Sasha fan when she finally skated with some emotion and genuine passion....she finally did that. I'm a fan of any skater that goes out and showcases an earnest joy for what it is they are doing....Michelle and Sasha both have shown they do have that joy (even though it may not be displayed so effectively in every performance). I also don't see anything wrong with sharing opinions on technique, style, etc. even if they differ. But, it is when these discussions evolve into sarcastic mud slinging competitions that I lose my patience and interest. Both are wonderful skaters that do so many things well. Is it really so difficult to like them both? Nah.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I think mzheng best explained how I feel . While I may like and appreciate Sasha's style of skating ... I am an MK fan first and foremost, and Sasha is her biggest rival ... thus I would never be rooting for Sasha. I make no bones about it ... for me, all skaters are NOT equal! :laugh:

ETA ... figure skating is a sport to me, and MK is my favorite team (so to speak) ... if you were a NY Yankees fan, you could still acknowledge that the Boston Red Sox do many things well ... but you're sure as shootin not going to root for them.
For those who do love and pull for many skaters ... hey, that's great too. To each his own I say. :)

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I'm with Ptichka. I am first a fan of Evgeni, and I do like Alexei's skating, though I don't consider myself a fan. Now, Alexander Abt, I love. At Bofrost, I was torn. I wanted Evgeni to win, but i wanted Sasha to win, too. :mad: But they finished 1-2, so that was fine.

You can like skaters who are rivals. Just be ready for lots of conflicting emotions. :laugh:

Laura :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting topic as I was just going to point out that on skating forums in general there is a LOT of bickering between MK fans and SC fans (or between fans of any top rival skaters). I don't know...is it the contrast in their skating style that each has that fuels this arguing? Or is it just the fact that they compete against each other a lot?

I only think this happens between die-hard fans. The "in-the-middle" fans who like both MK and SC seem to get along; it's the outright Kwan fans/fanatics and Cohen fans/fanatics that fight a lot. Personally, I try to stay out of the fights, and of being an outright fan of either skater. Now, here arises another question: why can't fans get along?

From my experience reading tons of bash threads, the fights usually start when someone posts an unfounded opinion (slighting another skater), and then when fans of the opposing skater read, they get emotional and strike back. For example, an SC fan says something not too nice about MK (but maybe not bashing) and then the MK fans jump on him/her, so on. The opposite is also true to an extent. Maybe if people ignored the bashes or slights, that would help? Sometimes people are just looking to start a fight, and they usually succeed.

I have been written off as being a Sasha fan before when I said I didn't want MK to win a particular competition, with NO mention whatsoever of SC. I think maybe fans/fanatics should try to be a little more open when on an MB; that is, realize that not everyone will like your skater/opinion/whatever, try to stay away from demeaning rival skaters (unconstructive criticism), and don't get on defensive mode every time you see a comment that doesn't exactly favor your skater/opinion/whatever (unless it's something uncalled for, like insults).

At least now, since the season is over, I predict a significant increase in fights between fans as topics like "Who was better overall last season?" start popping up.

Re. the question at hand, being "in-the-middle", I tend to go for the underdog(s) partly because I like surprises, and good competitions. As far as skating goes, they each have different styles, and there are things I can say I like/don't like about both.

On a perfect skating forum, fans of all skaters would get along. But, alas, there is no perfect skating forum, and most likely never will be.

Kwanisqueen81

Rinkside
Great thread

tnt2002isnt thanks for starting this thread!!

As you all know Michelle Kwan is the Kween to me forever and always...HOWEVER:

There are many skaters I love. In fact thought out Michelle's career I have always had the utmost respect for her competitors. I respect what they do well and what they do better than Michelle. I love Irina's speed and power, her fast spins and charm on the ice. I love Sasha amazing flexibility and competive sprit. In fact the only skater that has beaten Michelle that I am "blah" about is Tara Lipinski. I never really liked her skating. I respected and admired her 3-3 combos but I never felt she had anything special to offer artistly.

My opinion of Sarah Hughes:
Nice girl, deserved her olympic gold, but not in my opinion of the the greatest of all time.

Lantz

Rinkside
Re: Do most people find it difficult to be fans of both Michelle and Sasha?

tnt2002isnt said:
I have notice this phenomenom growing since its infancy stage two years ago, and it seemed to have peaked after this year's Worlds. I find it rather curious that most threads about one skater would somehow become a "battle of words" between Michelle fans and Sasha fans. And what's more interesting is the fact that most people have stated that they either Michelle or Sasha and rarely ever both.

Besides obvious different tastes for different styles of skating, I wonder if the media has any influence with this trend by promoting a supposed fierce rivalry between the two skaters. People did say that it is hard to like your favorite's rival. I do think that some people do take this polarity to the extreme though. For example, a Sasha fan who is absolutely convinced that Michelle has no talent whatsoever and vice versa.

If you are a Michelle fan, do you find it hard to be a fan of Sasha? And if you are a Sasha fan, do you find it hard to be a Michelle fan? I am curious to read your comments on this topic.

The media alnost always influence a supposed fierce rivalry. First was Michelle vs. Tara, after that Michelle vs Irina and now is Michelle vs Sasha.

ATW27

On the Ice
I don't know about "most people", but I don't find it difficult. I like 'em both! Now, there are times that I may favor one over the other, most depending on the circumstances, but I am never like "Oh, I hope she does poorly, so the other with win". I like to see both do good.

Andy

Last edited:

mpal2

Final Flight
I like both Michelle and Sasha. Out of loyalty, Michelle will always be my first hope for the highest medal (she was here first and has been here the longest), but I love to see Sasha do well. I was very happy to see her 04 Worlds Malaguena. That's the type of skating I would always love to see from her.

bronxgirl

Medalist
To be perfectly frank, as much as I enjoy seeing Sasha's skating, one incident at the SLC games seemed to have turned me off to her personality. When she stuck her cell phone in President Bush's face to say hello to her mother, I thought it was disrespectful to the office of the Presidency and out of place at that point in time. (And Lord, knows, I am NO fan of W.). I know Sasha was still just a "kid", but it still seemed to be a "spoiled bratty" thing to do. So while I enjoy her skating, (especially when Michelle isn't in the same competition), I don't think I will ever root for her the way I might if another American girl (or Irina) challenges the Kween!
And yes, I have openly admited in previous posts that I am a Michelle fan.

Lotta

On the Ice
I adore both skaters and it doesn't seem hard for me to do some favoring, although I am a BIG Michelle Kwan fan. I enjoy both of their skating styles and if they compete head to head and one of them wins over the other, that's okay. I just wish the media stops making this rivalry as if they wanna go cut each other's throats or something. :p

Jhar55

Medalist
Love Michelle's skating and really starting to like Sasha's. They both have different style and that's what I like. No cookie cutter skaters.

Kasey

Medalist
I don't find it difficult, because I am not at all a Sasha fan...never have been....never expect to be! So i guess that makes my life easier....

kasey

Fossi

Final Flight
I think, after Tara, people were looking for the "next best thing" that would dethrone Michelle Kwan. Some fans started jumping on any new skater there was saying "Watch out Kwan".....and then along came Sasha. Michelle fell in the SP at '00 Nationals, and Sasha skated clean. Suddenly it was supposed to be a "shock" that Michelle was not in the lead after the SP, and some of the US skating fans took notice. How this was such a shock is beyond me. It wasn't as if both ladies skated clean. Then came the LP. Michelle won. It was a 5/4 split between Sasha and Sarah for silver, and Sasha "fans" started to declare that "Sasha wuz robbed." (never mind that Sarah should've had the silver, and Sarah wuz robbed that night)
I think the fans create some of the rivalry and some take it too far.
I don't have a hard time liking both Michelle and Sasha. I am not a huge fan of either. I can appreciate them both, but am not a fanatic that wants one of them to beat the other just to make myself happy.
I think I like Michelle's attitude and competitive spirit much better than Sasha's attitude and "must have gold or nothing" image.
But really, I like Sarah Hughes, and Shizuka the best. Nothing's gonna stop Shizuka anymore.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Well I am a HUGE MK fan. I do, however, like Sasha's skating sometimes, but I don't consider myself a fan. I truly think MK is the best skater in the World, and I will admit that I don't like it when she loses. I will never root for Sasha to win when she is competing against MK, but If she wins other competitions I'm happy for her.

I
I only think this happens between die-hard fans. The "in-the-middle" fans who like both MK and SC seem to get along; it's the outright Kwan fans/fanatics and Cohen fans/fanatics that fight a lot. Personally, I try to stay out of the fights, and of being an outright fan of either skater. Now, here arises another question: why can't fans get along?
I don't think this is completely true. Not all die hard fans don't get along. I would consider myslef a die hard MK fan, but I usually don't get into arguements with Sasha fans (or any other fans for that matter).
As for why the fans can't get along. Well the way I see it is that SC fans are fighting for the top spot, and MK fans are fighting to keep it. (Top meaning being fans of the best skater). So anything something remotely negative is said, it seems the fans are trying to defend the "fact" that their skater is the best. And skating being the subjective sport the results don't always tell the whole story....especially if your skater is on the losing end.
I also think that the rivaly between the fans has built up so much that anything that may sound negative is automatically taken as a dig towards MK/SC, especially if it comes from a poster who is well known to dislke one of the skaters, or to be a huge fan of the other. I think the key here is to try to be objective. I know I've read some things that I originally may have thought to be digs at MK, but I always try to be objective about it. And even though Sasha is not a favorite of mine, I have gone so far as to defend her when I disagree with what other posters say. I think there is a differnce between criticizing a skater because you dislike thier style/technique, whatever, and criticizing them because you just don't like them, or becuase they are your favorites main rival. And I think usually the difference is clear.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
lulu said:
Well I think it is possible to be fans of skaters that are both direct rivals and who have very different styles of skating.

ITA... I am a fan of neither lady... but I'm a fan of S/P and B/S

floskate

On the Ice
Very interesting. I'm a huge MK fan and used to go to pieces if she lost. But lately I've not been too bothered if she didn't win a competition. Probably because she seems at peace with her results too. If she goes to Torino though for sure I'll be a wreck.

I'm not a fan of Sasha. I'm amazed at what she can do from an artistic point of view. It's patently clear she has a reservoir of talent, but the lack of emotion she conveys just turns me off. She can't relate to her music in a way that moves me like MK always does. I'd be the first to say that MK's programs could be more intricate etc - hell I'm a dance teacher, but even when she is just stroking, there is that indefinable something - the X factor - in her skating and performance that never fails to move me. For all her talent, Sasha has yet to relate to me on the same level. Just my honest opinions though.:D

tnt2002isnt

Spectator
I haven't been able to visit the forum after posting my thread until today. I would just like to thank you all for posting your widely diverse views and perspectives on this topic.

I think that all of us are figure skating fans because somewhere, some time ago, somehow a figure skater captivated our attention and open our eyes to the beauty of the sport. And more often than most, that one figure skating will remain one of our favorite, if not the most favorite, skaters. But of course, when there's favoritism, there's bias. But this bias is based purely on emotional reasons; we always want
our favorite to do do well and be the best.

After lurking in this forum for awhile, I am quite impressed with many of the members here who all seemed to have quite an extensive knowledge and understanding of the sport. You guys all have your favorite skater(s), but know and love the sport enough to recognize talents of other skaters that you might not like much for personal reasons. Like Adamlondon said, "Hence this forum is far more neutral and I enjoy writing here more."

Personally, Michelle Kwan was the one who opened my eyes to the sport of figure skating, and she still remains my favorite skater. Who would have ever thought that I would be able know if a skating was doing a triple flip or triple lutz, or peppered my speech with "salchows" and "axels". Because of that self-taught technical understanding of skating, I am quite impressed with the talent and potential that resides in Sasha, and I have grown quite fond of her skating. She has now become one of my two favorite skaters, and I love watching both of them skate.

However, I do find it hard at times to talk about the two skaters in the same breath, due to the extreme polarity of Sasha vs. Michelle fans on the Internet. Except this forum, for I never felt the need to be defensive here. You guys have got to be one of the most intelligent group of figure skating fans, regardless of who your favorite skater is. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

Last edited:

LadyM76

Rinkside
Sasha & Michelle

I think its very possible to be both a Michelle & Sasha fan. I enjoy both of them. Michelle seems to just draw me in everytime she steps on the ice. I enjoy Sasha's flexibility and her spins. I like both skaters, but Michelle is and always will be my favorite. I think its hard to "post" about both skaters, without irritating somebody. I visit many message boards, and its amazing how similiar they are, when it comes to "Michelle vs Sasha". I tend to stay out of those threads, and not get caught up in the crazyness. I don't know if I'm making any sense tonight...I'm kinda tired....lol
LadyM76

Not at all!!!

Kwan and Cohen are like Apples and Oranges. Pick your choice.
I like both although I like one more than the other.

Joe

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
The only thing I find difficult is if you don't like a Kwan program you're labeled a Cohen fanatic and if you don't like something Sasha does, you're a Kwanatic. :rolleye: Like it's not possible to like a skater and still think they stink sometimes.