Evan Lysacek's new endeavor | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek's new endeavor

UM84

On the Ice
If he would of done this say 3 yrs ago, it could of really helped with his artistry

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
^^Somehow, I don't think Lysacek loves figure skating that much like Plushenko, Yagudin, Weir, or Abbott. He just wants to win, doesn't necessarily have to win in figure skating.

I think Evan does love the sport. Not in the same way that weir (does he love it?) or the others. He is in his element when he is out there, skating well to music he really likes. He does not use it as self-expression the way that Wier and Daisuke do but approaches it athletically.

I don't see why he is getting all this flack about not going to worlds. Plushenko did not go to worlds 2006. Evan said all along that he was skating until 2010 Olympics. Considering he won, which was not really expected he deserves the time off. He already won Worlds, so there is nothing to be gained there.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Not that I want him to go to the Worlds. I'd rather him not going. In fact, I'd rather him retire from the skating, so my favorite skaters like Abbott could have better chances. But I could understand why so many complained about him not going. Since it was a controversial win at this Olympics, it seems that there is an opportunity for him to prove that he is worthy of the gold, but he gave up this opportunity.

If Plushenko loves skating so much, why does he keep trying to murder it with his awful programs? Maybe it's like what they say, we only hurt the ones we love...

I'd think that there might be a cultural difference and misunderstanding. I've seen Plushenko was passionate portraying whatever role he was trying to portray even though some people don't like it. Next time before Plushenko makes any new program, he should make sure to ask North Americans opinion first.;)

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Not that I want him to go to the Worlds. I'd rather him not going. In fact, I'd rather him retire from the skating, so my favorite skaters like Abbott could have better chances. But I could understand why so many complained about him not going. Since it was a controversial win at this Olympics, it seems that there is an opportunity for him to prove that he is worthy of the gold, but he gave up this opportunity.

Who does he have to prove? He is currently reigning champion at worlds, at the olympics and at the GPF. Why not go out on top? Even if both performances were repeated at Worlds it is likely that Evegni would be given the title and then the controversy would resurface. He is the champion, he already proved himself.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
In fact, I'd rather him retire from the skating, so my favorite skaters like Abbott could have better chances.

that seems like such a slight to your 'favorites.' how does Evan retiring give them a better chance, that's like saying 'well they suck, but at least with one of the top dogs out of the way they won't be as noticably bad.'

Jeremy has beaten Evan CLEARLY at nationals TWICE, it's not EVAN's fault that Jeremy tanks later on in the season.

jennylovskt

Medalist
that seems like such a slight to your 'favorites.' how does Evan retiring give them a better chance, that's like saying 'well they suck, but at least with one of the top dogs out of the way they won't be as noticably bad.'

Jeremy has beaten Evan CLEARLY at nationals TWICE, it's not EVAN's fault that Jeremy tanks later on in the season.

I have always been trying to stay on the facts instead of leaning on my favorites unreasonably. I am not saying that I have done so all the time, but I am trying.

Yes, Jeremy has beaten Evan twice at the Nationals. When Jeremy was on, he was clearly one of the best in the world. However, he was inconsistent especially on the international stage. Otherwise, he should have had the Nationals title earlier and a World Championship title by now. Evan is no doubt a great competitor. His consistency has overcome everything when others faltered (not at this Olympics with the unfair judging) - the sub-par technical abilities, the annoying arm flailing, the below averaged artistic instinct. And he has a political genius coach. So Evan is standing in the way when Jeremy is not on which might be sadly the case in the future too. (Wish I am totally wrong!)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
And he has a political genius coach.

for all his genius he couldn't get Michelle Kwan a Gold medal... or Linda Frat. for that matter.

So Evan is standing in the way when Jeremy is not on which might be sadly the case in the future too. (Wish I am totally wrong!)
so this worlds if Jeremy craps out again he'll place on the podium and it's only frank carroll and his politics that's keeping him off???? where is the logic in that? yeah Jeremy might get a place higher than he did at the olys IF he skates like he did in Vancouver. If he'd have stood up and actually done a half decent job he'd have been an Olympic medalist. It's not like Evan was out there tripping him every time he attempted an element.

fairly4

Medalist
personally i would have like evan to go to worlds to help how people think of him in the future. yes -he has a world title, olympic title, national title however in times past,
now it seems the skaters want to make the money --more than the respect. that is what is lacking how the people perceive the skaters or whichever athlete respects the sport--by not going and choosing (money or sport) they are in essence saying we prefer money first sport 2nd--sutly of course.

how do we really stack up the skaters who go to worlds after they win olympic medals versus the ones who don't-personally- i think higher of the skaters who go to worlds after the olympics and lay it on the line--they get higher props for trying versus the skaters who don't go. (i know i am in the minority--but i think the skaters who don't go after medaling -cop out--why they are afraid of losing the gold, silver or whatever,
case in point linda felt she let the people down by winning the silver --she went to worlds and won bronze--
part of the complaining lately is what --the skaters who didn't go to worlds after the olym ics
rosalyn summer- to upset because of silver-couldnt handle to me (go to worlds.)
the carruthers didn't go to worlds,
tara--
nancy-probably the exception due to what happened,
oksana,
ilia kulik
evan,
shizuka,
pair and dances teams who didn't

can you imagine the brouhaha if dick, peggy, tenley, gordevea & grinkov, rodina and zeitzev, carol heiss, ,
madge syers, barabara ann scott kristi, brian, scott, brian orser, brian boitano didnt go to worlds.

of the skaters who didn't how highly do we think of them (except for injury) let see
they are--

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Who does he have to prove? He is currently reigning champion at worlds, at the olympics and at the GPF. Why not go out on top? Even if both performances were repeated at Worlds it is likely that Evegni would be given the title and then the controversy would resurface. He is the champion, he already proved himself.

I agree. I USED to think it was a tiny bit of a copout or something to win Oly Gold and immediately retire, but I'm growing old and soft. Now I can completely understand wanting to just enjoy the so-called 15 minutes of fame from winning the Olympic Gold and after all, Worlds comes up almost immediately afterward, there's not much time to take a breather and just enjoy such a major victory. Also, when you've reached the top, where else is there to go? You might stay up there, and those who do earn my respect in a different way, but I can also see that when you've conquered one mountain, there's an appeal to moving on to another.

Evan may get into things like DWTS and SOI and decide he likes it and doesn't want to compete again. Or he may find himself lost without the structured life of training and competing that is an elite athlete's. I can see it going either way. Since I really, really still don't find his skating appealing, I'm hoping he likes the other options better! But I think there are plenty of good reasons to go either way and I don't lose respect for any athlete for having a big win and retiring on top OR for deciding to keep on.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Huh? Michelle has five. 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 and 2010. (?)

Oh wait, that's in Mathmanland. ;)

Remember what Carroll thinks about his Euro colleagues and what he has never hesitated to say about them.
Something like "cheating is like breathing to them."

And we should never forget Tat's comments about Nagano - she said Carroll could have easily arranged the OGM for Michelle if he was willing to "play ball with them."

Tat thought Carroll made a big mistake by not "fixing it" for Michelle.

Of course others think Tat and people like her will never know what it means to compete fairly with a sense of sportsmanship and Olympic spirit.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
So Evan is standing in the way when Jeremy is not on which might be sadly the case in the future too. (Wish I am totally wrong!)
Wish came true, you are totally wrong. The only person standing in Jeremy's way is Jeremy himself. If Evan wasn't at the last worlds, Jeremy would've finished 10th. If Evan wasn't at these Olympics, Jeremy would've finished 8th. Every top level male skater would have to retire to give Jeremy a chance when he's in tank mode. And when he feels like tanking, even that may not be enough.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Wish came true, you are totally wrong. The only person standing in Jeremy's way is Jeremy himself. If Evan wasn't at the last worlds, Jeremy would've finished 10th. If Evan wasn't at these Olympics, Jeremy would've finished 8th. Every top level male skater would have to retire to give Jeremy a chance when he's in tank mode. And when he feels like tanking, even that may not be enough.

And let's not forget Jenny's other favorite - baby boy Joubert.
Can we blame Plushy because Joubert folded like a cheap chair in Vancouver? :think:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Huh? Michelle has five. 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 and 2010. (?)

Oh wait, that's in Mathmanland. ;)
:clap:

Secret: If you want I can show you how you can make them also more shiny and bright and with very little diamonds in details, and with orange or bluegreen ribbons on them and have a scent of vanilla, in senioritaland medals are like bonbons. I have a dozen already:)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Remember what Carroll thinks about his Euro colleagues and what he has never hesitated to say about them.
Something like "cheating is like breathing to them."

And we should never forget Tat's comments about Nagano - she said Carroll could have easily arranged the OGM for Michelle if he was willing to "play ball with them."

Tat thought Carroll made a big mistake by not "fixing it" for Michelle.

Of course others think Tat and people like her will never know what it means to compete fairly with a sense of sportsmanship and Olympic spirit.

Which really says something about Carroll as a man. He wants his skaters to win because they deserve it, the old fashioned way the way he was taught. Michelle (under Frank) did her best at the Olympics and did not win. Evan did and did win. but both skaters will have the satisfaction of knowing they earned their medal 100%

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:clap:

Secret: If you want I can show you how you can make them also more shiny and bright and with very little diamonds in details, and with orange or bluegreen ribbons on them and have a scent of vanilla, in senioritaland medals are like bonbons. I have a dozen already:)
In Deeland...she thinks Seniorita drinks too much!!!