Evan on winning the USoc Athlete of the Year | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Evan on winning the USoc Athlete of the Year

ranjake

Final Flight
gmeyers- how were Carroll and Evan nasty to Plushenko before and after the Olympics? I don't think I ever heard about it...

gmyers

Record Breaker
In interviews they really did say stuff like he wanted a one jump contest and that is it. Talking about he is just one jump and that is it for his skating

...even though their win caused rule changes to prevent someone like him from winning again?!?!?

They should call the new point value for quads the "Lysacek Rule." That way he will be not just famous, but immortal. He'll be like Elaine Zayak (the Zayak rules), or Katarina Witt (the Witt Rule).

ranjake

Final Flight
I guess I missed them being nasty. I heard Evan say he was dismayed that Plushenko was knocking him , because Plushenko was one of his idols. I guess maybe I remember them saying 'it's about more than one jump'- which I think is true. Plushenko to me was uncharacteristically sloppy and not COP oriented- so he wasn't at all as unbeatable as he had been in the past. Also, quadless Evan sort of made sense at that point. He didn't do it in the prior World's due to the stress fracture, and then when he tried to put it in in 2010- he wasn't successful- and so concentrated on his COP friendly programs. I usually don't even talk about how much I like Evan's skating (I really do- always did) because I guess I don't feel like being slammed. I'm definitely not the skate expert some of you are, and I really enjoy learning from all of your opinions, but I like what I like, and often it doesn't seem to fit with the majority- but I'm still learning. Thanks for your reply.

seniorita

Record Breaker
gmeyers- how were Carroll and Evan nasty to Plushenko before and after the Olympics? I don't think I ever heard about it...
I dont remember Evan at all saying anything but I remember Carol ´s comments in interviews concerning the practices of Plush and the one trick pony before the sp and I remember even people from here I really respect commenting about it , which made huge impression to me then.

Finally people reacting about the result mostly talk about the SP differences, as we just said in Euros pairs a minute ago, there is also an sp into account, not the LP.

If they would name something as lysacek rule, I would DIE from laughing, nahhh.
MAthman what is the Witt rule? Not so heavy makeup?:)

ranjake

Final Flight
Seniorita, I wasn't doubting gmeyers, or anyone- I was just asking because it wasn't what I remembered.

The Witt Rule is your skirt has to be long enough to cover your behind. One time Katarina showed up in a skirt that was so short the referee made her tie on some feathers, then they passed the new rule the next year.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Edit: I wasn't sure whether you were saying that the strangest achievement was the Prince of Monaco putting Plushy on the Team for Children, or whether the "strangest" comment referred to the 8th richest Russian.
I meant the Children Team not the richness of course. I didnt know Albert was an athlete in Olympics, what was his sport? I dont know much about Monaco, I didnt know he was with charity also, thats why the team and all seemed strange to me (i skipped the article, I admit)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Seniorita, I wasn't doubting gmeyers, or anyone- I was just asking because it wasn't what I remembered.
I think it is better not to remember these stuff anyway. ;)

The Witt Rule is your skirt has to be long enough to cover your behind. One time Katarina showed up in a skirt that was so short the referee made her tie on some feathers, then they passed the new rule the next year.
LOL, no way:laugh:It is not that i dont believe you, I blindly do in general , BUT did you made this up?:unsure: Cause I ll search the competition...:cool:

LOL, no way:laugh:It is not that i dont believe you, I blindly do in general , BUT did you made this up?:unsure: Cause I ll search the competition...:cool:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/competitive-figure-skating6.htm ;)

I think it was the 1988 Olympics short program. Here is a quote from Time magazine:

At least part of the hyperbolic hoopla, however, was fashioned by the skaters and their determined entourages. In the days leading up to the final competition, controversy

erupted over Witt's outfits, notably a blue costume that some thought was slicedprovocatively high along the thigh. "We're here to skate in a dress, not a G-string," huffed [Elizabeth] Manley's coach, Peter Dunfield. Witt met the commotion with calm. "We wear costumes that enhance the music," she said. "Why shouldn't we stress what is attractive?" But the flap seemed to give Witt and her coach second thoughts. In the short program, the costume appeared modified, with a heavier fringe of blue feathers along the hip.

Edited to add This costume is specifically forbidden by the Witt Rules.:)

http://hollywoodhatesme.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/elvis-stojko.jpg

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
haha thanx I read the site, it was hilarious. And because I m miss curiocity i found the competition that caused the controversy before olympics, NHK 1987, the less feathered dress version :D
I also read that ISU told her off because she wore pants at Europeans 1983 :eek:t and then by worlds she made it a very short dress.:laugh:
Edited to add This costume is specifically forbidden by the Witt Rules.:)

http://hollywoodhatesme.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/elvis-stojko.jpg

maybe he could add feathers in the arms as well?:think:

stevlin

On the Ice

Katerina Witt was always making a sexy display of herself. I never liked her, still don't especially going nude in Playboy magazine. I prefer the "nice girl" image.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just jumping in to add info. about the Princely Family of Monaco, as I am a follower of them (have been since I was a kid; Princess Caroline is one of my idols).

The entire family is greatly involved in the Olympics, especially on their mother's side (i.e. the late Princess Grace). Grace's father was a 3-time Olympic Gold Medalist in Rowing. And Prince Albert's fiancee, whom he is planning to wed next July (it ties in with the Olympics btw; many Olympians will be there) is also a former Olympian. In fact that is where they met ~ at the Olympics ~ when both were competing; he in bobsled, she in swimming. :)

And Princess Caroline's daughter, Princess Alexandra, is heavily involved in skating. She has even won some local competitions. Also, her gorgeous elder daughter, Charlotte Casiraghi, is an equestrienne. If all goes well she should be an Olympian in 2012. :cool:

Princess Stephanie's daughter is also heavily involved in swimming; I'm hoping she makes it to the 2012 Summer Olympics in London! :love:

Gotta go, Ladies SP is starting now!!!!!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
And Prince Albert's fiancee, whom he is planning to wed next July (it ties in with the Olympics btw; many Olympians will be there) is also a former Olympian. In fact that is where they met ~ at the Olympics ~ when both were competing; he in bobsled, she in swimming. :)

More info please. I'm more curious about the month than the year of the Olympics they both competed and met at!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I dont remember Evan at all saying anything but I remember Carol ´s comments in interviews concerning the practices of Plush and the one trick pony before the sp

I don´t remember Carrol saying anything like that at all, it is not his style, IMO. On the other hand I do remember ISU president in an interview calling Plushenko a one trick pony based on Plushenko´s unsportmanlike comments to press regarding the sp results.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The Witt rule is pretty tame. Some day I'm going to give a performance wherein my entire costume will come off and I'll be in only a jockstrap for my ending pose. It will be too late for the referee to stop my music and interrupt the program at that point. Hah! I'll take the minor costume deduction in return for the legion of appreciative spectators.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I don´t remember Carrol saying anything like that at all, it is not his style, IMO. On the other hand I do remember ISU president in an interview calling Plushenko a one trick pony based on Plushenko´s unsportmanlike comments to press regarding the sp results.

Unfortunately I have good memory.. Well about the article at least and even who commented on it. Something along the lines that it is figure skating and not figure jumping, and he was not impressed by his comeback or jumps. And the whole package. It was of last February, i would spare myself from searching the olympic archives.

Yes ISu president to comment while a competition was running was very thoughtful of him.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not mad if your comment's including me. But like I said, it does bring back the memories. It's like Lysacek fans flash his medal and glory in your face. Why couldn't people who are not so keen about this talk about it?:unsure:

who's flashing anything in anyone's face? four years ago Evgeny was revelling in his Olympic Glory - as were his fans. Eight years ago it was Yagudin.

just like four years ago Shizuka and her supporters were still celebrating, and 8 years ago it was those of us who were fans of Sarah Hughes.

Now it's time for Evan, and Shen and Zhao, and Tessa & Scott, and Yuna Kim's fans to see the rewards. America's just happy to have an Olympic champion so they gave Evan a title. Big deal. No one's gloating.

fairly4

Medalist
Olympic champion so they gave Evan a title. Big deal. No one's gloating.

you are right no one is gloating, it is nice he won, but who cares. but did he really win it the right way. the problem with the past OGM is that very few won it the right way and any olympic sports. So American is ho-hum, we think they all are cheaters and none won it the right way (OGM ) anyway due to unfair judging, steriods, drugs, hyped up suits and than the egos follow. who care about OGM with HUGH egos if they didn't win the right way.Congrats get your medal and money, which you already have by winnnig things prior to the olympics. Character matters more in real life. not ego's medals.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
but did he really win it the right way.

He and his team put together a program that maximized his points. he had a program catered to the rules. So yes I think he did it the "right way".

the problem with the past OGM is that very few won it the right way and any olympic sports. So American is ho-hum, we think they all are cheaters and none won it the right way (OGM ) anyway due to unfair judging, steriods, drugs, hyped up suits and than the egos follow.

Do Americans really think this way? Because, honestly, I don't recall being in any break room or classroom where all the talk was about how so and so cheated to win. Granted on figure skating boards there's the whole judging scandal every time you turn around, but the main complaints are on the judges, not the athletes themselves. As for steroids, they're not allowed in Olympic competition - at least not in figure skating - and they are drug tested after both portions of the competition. Egos - there's an interesting point for you to make. What person doesn't have an ego of some kind? I think Evan did very well in masking his ego this time around... it still rears its ugly head on occassion, but no worse than that of Plushenko's egotism or Chan's... in fact Evan was pretty subdued in comparison.

maybe figure skating isn't the right medium for you if it makes you have such a bitter outlook on the world.