Evan on winning the USoc Athlete of the Year | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Evan on winning the USoc Athlete of the Year

^ I do, however, think Fairly Four has a point about drugs and steroids. It's a constant back-and-forth between the good guys who invent new tests and the bad guys who invent new performance enhancing drugs and screening agents.

The whole sport of cycling has pretty much admitted that evety competitor is on steroids. The Olympic champion heavyweight wrestler a few turns back famously said, entering the games, "Now we'll see whose pharmacologist is the best!"

Every track and field athlete is on something; it is only a matter if time that each in turn gets caught. (Our favorite Jamacan sprinter is next.)

Offensive linemen in professional football (American) already weigh 300 pounds in college, then bulk up to 380 in the pros. Professional baseball players' heads suddenly get bigger from one season to the next. It does put the notion of athletic competition in a different light.

fairly4

Medalist
if i you mean. I mean EVAN personally did what he had to to, but did the judges, federations outside forces influence the call.
Evan skated great in the short-personally i would had him above EVgeny. in the long. he skated okay, not great okay. judges gave him the Gold.
also past victors, oksana/nancy, pairs =1992, 2002, 1994, dance 1976, 1988,
i mean if you look at the past versus now--mistakes under cop and sloppy skating now wouldn't have won let alone medal. yet that is what we are seeing and they are penalizing the good skates versus bad why, the people they want to catch they well. the ones they won't stay up there.
there should be a balance between pc/s artistry, and technical.
evan skated clean therefore he won. which is acceptabe. What i am saying some Americans don't care if EVAN won/lost let alone alot of the figure skaters.
They don't care if he won/lost let alones alot of other american OGM medalist. Once money got in people feel the Olympic athletes are professional whether they are called that or not so they have to compete against the normal "pro sports" such as golf, tennis, basketball, football. those MEN RULE, in some cases women drool at the sight of them so figure skating doesn't really matter to those masses anymore due to Cheating in olympics sport from whatever way. WHY SHOULD we care and pay attention to the OGM winners if their is a little hint of cheating by judging, drugs, hyped up suits, whatever.
the personality and egos shine throw are just as bad nowadays as some the pros. if the so-called olympic athletics have egos and don't care how they win(right/aided by whatever means) why as AMerican people should pay attention to , buy products from, pay to watch see them.
The so called pro sports always had "bad boys".(known for betting on sports, aided by bad calls to win. the olympic sports were portrayed and still are as being fair play on field and off. So it matters more for the Olympic athlete comes across as a cheater, wrong by being aided for whatever reason, than egoist on top. doesn't sell to well in U.s . it might, but many places it don't. America still hopes for a fairl level playing field in the OLympic sport arena, no matter what sport.

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
The Witt rule is pretty tame. Some day I'm going to give a performance wherein my entire costume will come off and I'll be in only a jockstrap for my ending pose. It will be too late for the referee to stop my music and interrupt the program at that point. Hah! I'll take the minor costume deduction in return for the legion of appreciative spectators.

Just remember to wax.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The Witt rule is pretty tame. Some day I'm going to give a performance wherein my entire costume will come off and I'll be in only a jockstrap for my ending pose. It will be too late for the referee to stop my music and interrupt the program at that point. Hah! I'll take the minor costume deduction in return for the legion of appreciative spectators.

Better not do this in Bern.

I wouldn't call such costume deduction minor. It's darn near total.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
It happened because of Plushenko´s thoughtless comments, LOL.
yes LOL indeed...I guess if you forgot that it is Plushenko and you cant say a nice word, you would get that Plushenko or lets say an X skater-cause with Plushenko maybe you get confused.
So X skater is not the ISU PResident, if he wants to say he is Marie Curie reincarnation he can and he doesnt harm anyone but himself (and Marie Curie husband maybe) and of course his words are open to critique, but his words have no special meaning in the middle of competition for none else. But if Ciquanta who is ISU president decides to comment them and speaks before the Lp about the skating abilities of a skater , good or bad, that I find it wrong as an fs fan but I guess for you it is just LOL. So much for work ethics we learnt in Olys..
You ll be happy to know that now Olys are over and shows in italy are running Ciquanta loves him again.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh you have a big heart...I dont.:p
Actually I havent had much time to see Hughes and like or dislike her, given what broadcast we had back then, I saw her just once at 2001 Worlds, I hadnt even noticed her in previous worlds so in SLC she looked like she dropped from the sky to steal Irina ´s and Michelle´s gold medal (i was counting on double gold;))
Back then I admit I felt Olympics are a coronation and the good wins at the end, so she stole the prince from the Snowhite, not a good verb I know.
Our Dick Button was Irina and Michelle uber, so he didnt help much either:laugh:

Last edited:
^ What was fun about Sarah Hughes was following her when she was 14 and 15 trying to climb steadily up the ladder to become a contender. She kept chasing Maria Butyrskaya for number three in the world (while trying to hold off Sasha for number two in the U.S.), and she finally caught up in the season before the Olympics.

I am sure Sarah would have been thrilled with any color Olympic medal. Well, when the Titans fall :cry: , there has to someone standing there to pick up the pieces.

Her best program was her Fosse exhibition, IMHO :clap:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don´t remember Carrol saying anything like that at all, it is not his style, IMO. On the other hand I do remember ISU president in an interview calling Plushenko a one trick pony based on Plushenko´s unsportmanlike comments to press regarding the sp results.

It is very much his style! He told the New York Times: “I think he should have hung it up after the last Olympics,” said Frank Carroll, Lysacek’s coach. “I’m not impressed with his skating. It's not as complicated as the judging system" I mean I don't even know what that means? Just like when he talked about not wanting to coach a "triple axel girl." He was nasty to Plushenko and Lysacek was nasty and have continued to be nasty.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/sports/olympics/12iht-SRPLUSH.html

Last edited:

ae9177

On the Ice
Oh come on :rolleye:! The whole quote is

“I’m not impressed with his skating. It’s not as complicated as the judging system demands.”

What's wrong with that? He's telling the truth. ;) So that's the ONLY 'nasty' word you can find from Frank? :confused:

Way to go Evan! What a wonderful honor and it's very well deserved. :thumbsup:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh in case of Caroll, he is telling the truth, ok.
another one i had bookmarked in the morning. Actually the one i said in the morning didnt find it cause i started reading all the articles and it ruined my coffee break.
In fact, Frank Carroll, who coaches Evan Lysacek, the reigning world champion from the United States, was dismissive of Plushenko’s return victory. Carroll said he was not “the slightest bit interested” in the difficult combination jumps that Plushenko has been rehearsing. He saw the Rostelecom performance, Carroll said, adding, “The only word I can say is underwhelmed.”
this is not what you say about the OC coming back. Didnt you see what Mishin said about Lambiel?

Double standars I see. Then Plushenko said the truth also.
I dont wanna ruin the thread. I shut up.:)

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Oh in case of Caroll, he is telling the truth, ok.
another one i had bookmarked in the morning

Doubled standars I see. Then Plushenko said the truth also.

Good quote! He was just nasty!

Oh come on :rolleye:! The whole quote is

“I’m not impressed with his skating. It’s not as complicated as the judging system demands.”

What's wrong with that? He's telling the truth. ;) So that's the ONLY 'nasty' word you can find from Frank? :confused:

Way to go Evan! What a wonderful honor and it's very well deserved. :thumbsup:

Like that was the main reason why I quoted it! Obviously it was that he thought Plushenko should not even be skating. Of course Carroll wouldn't want someone who could do a quad skating! Carroll was ridiculous. Like it is common for coaches to say what Carroll did about Plushenko!!

ae9177

On the Ice
That's it?
If you call 'not impressed' and 'underwhelmed' 'Nasty', then I saw a lot more nastier comments than that. Can't believe you're collecting every single negative comment re: Plushy. Thank God you're not a Sarah Palin fan!
Move on guys, go and have a life.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I raised the issue of Carroll and Lysacek not saying nice things about Plushenko and someone said "carroll doesn't say negative things!!!" And there he was saying Plushenko shouldn't even be skating and just that he's medicore and everything. This is just recall from paying attention to what was going on in skating! LOL it's a skating forum!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
yes LOL indeed...I guess if you forgot that it is Plushenko and you cant say a nice word, you would get that Plushenko or lets say an X skater-cause with Plushenko maybe you get confused.
So X skater is not the ISU PResident, if he wants to say he is Marie Curie reincarnation he can and he doesnt harm anyone but himself (and Marie Curie husband maybe) and of course his words are open to critique, but his words have no special meaning in the middle of competition for none else. But if Ciquanta who is ISU president decides to comment them and speaks before the Lp about the skating abilities of a skater , good or bad, that I find it wrong as an fs fan but I guess for you it is just LOL. So much for work ethics we learnt in Olys..
You ll be happy to know that now Olys are over and shows in italy are running Ciquanta loves him again.

Hmmm, LOL..., the way your mind works.... The word "ethics" should apply to skaters as well. And this X skater, who is Plushenko, needs to learn that the comments he expresses in press conferences or interviews, do have consequences.. Or maybe he at least has learned already? Or maybe he did not understand that it is embarrassing if a skater behaves so badly that the ISU pressident needs to give an interview about his behaviour.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Do you even remember what Evgeni said in sp conference and caused Ciquanta to make a comment? Because I do. He thought he was marked down because he was the only who did a quad and questioned his pcs from some judges putting him in 21st place. I dont like the comment but this is what he said. And what interviews, he didnt gave any interview before Lp. From your brainwash comment if someone was reading and had not seen Olys he would think Evgeni beated the technical panel or danced naked in front of the judges.

Yes probably we have different ethic code or I can see further than my nose..of what is unethical.
If you think Plushenko behaved SO badly or embarrassing in sp and Ciquanta got offended you probably have not watched many sports.
And Ciquanta didnt gave an interview, what did you think, he gave press conference for Evgeni? he was asked about the men ´s outcome and replied in one question. Unfortunately for you the Pope was busy that day to unchurch him also..
By the way Ciquanta is in a better place than you think.
http://www.kommersant.ru/doc.aspx?DocsID=1574424&NodesID=9
- Evgeni recently, personally communicated in Italy with the president of the ISU Ottavio Cinquanta. They forgave each other. Plushenko Cinquanta - for the Olympics, and Cinquanta Plushenko - for skipping last year's world championship. ..

Last edited: