Grand Prix Final Analysis | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final Analysis

Elaine666

Final Flight
Actually, its been a tradition for Hanyu to skip 4CC. I mean, not including current season he had been skating in senior for 9 seasons and out of the 9 seasons he had only attended 4CC for 3 times. His first senior season, because he was placed 4th at J Nat that he didnt get to Worlds but was assigned to 4CC; the third senior season when 4CC was hosted in Japan and he won the national title the same season for the first time so kinda of must-go; then the 2017 4CC, the reason cannot be more obvious that he wanted to attend the test skate of the arena for 2018OG. So I wont be surprised if he's going to skip this season's 4CC unless he cares enough to get this one left crown out there.

Ziotic

Medalist
I could see him wanting the title, I mean otherwise it will forever be the one that got away??

lzxnl

Final Flight
Actually, its been a tradition for Hanyu to skip 4CC. I mean, not including current season he had been skating in senior for 9 seasons and out of the 9 seasons he had only attended 4CC for 3 times. His first senior season, because he was placed 4th at J Nat that he didnt get to Worlds but was assigned to 4CC; the third senior season when 4CC was hosted in Japan and he won the national title the same season for the first time so kinda of must-go; then the 2017 4CC, the reason cannot be more obvious that he wanted to attend the test skate of the arena for 2018OG. So I wont be surprised if he's going to skip this season's 4CC unless he cares enough to get this one left crown out there.

Every athlete that has the ability to win everything is going to want to win everything if they can. That's what makes Yuzuru a fighter. Last year at CoR, he didn't have to skate that free because of the injury, but he did. He's not one to give up, and if Nathan really isn't going, this season would be his easiest shot at winning it for once.

ankifeather

Final Flight

But every year he did not attend 4CC he had a very valid reason, being he was gravely injured at that time (except 2014, but it was right before Olympics, so no gold contender would go). So no one knows if he would have gone to the 4CCs if he was healthy. Most of Worlds he attended was already pushing his injured body. The only two Worlds he attended without a severe injury also happened to be the two he won in 2014 and 2017. Luckily he was the most healthy at 19 yr old in 2013/14 to allow him to win GPF, Worlds and Olympics in one season. Hence, why fans wish nothing more than for him to stay injury free to the end of this season.

Elaine666

Final Flight
But every year he did not attend 4CC he had a very valid reason, being he was gravely injured at that time (except 2014, but it was right before Olympics, so no gold contender would go). So no one knows if he would have gone to the 4CCs if he was healthy. Most of Worlds he attended was already pushing his injured body. The only two Worlds he attended without a severe injury also happened to be the two he won in 2014 and 2017. Luckily he was the most healthy at 19 yr old in 2013/14 to allow him to win GPF, Worlds and Olympics in one season. Hence, why fans wish nothing more than for him to stay injury free to the end of this season.

Just based on history, in most case JSF announces team of 4CC/Worlds/OG at the same time right after J Nat and I think they ask skaters whether they want to go to 4CC or not by placements? (please correct me if my memory fails me) As far as I recall Yuzuru's name does not normally appear on the 4CC's list that's why I wont be surprised if he does not go to this season's 4CC. It's really up to him and his team's decision and I would be more than thrilled if he decides to go and claim the title:hap10:

madraykin

Rinkside
Every athlete that has the ability to win everything is going to want to win everything if they can. That's what makes Yuzuru a fighter. Last year at CoR, he didn't have to skate that free because of the injury, but he did. He's not one to give up, and if Nathan really isn't going, this season would be his easiest shot at winning it for once.

I don't think he'd be happy with winning it just because Nathan isn't there though.

If he does go I'd think it'd more likely to be because it's a chance to try out new things in competition before Worlds.

ankifeather

Final Flight
What is wrong with people that Yuzu is taking spots of Shoma other people's opportunity? Japan has three spots for Worlds and 4CC, that is a lot of spots, so both of them can go if they want and neither has to go if they don't want to. As for other younger skaters let them skate well at competitions and demonstrate they deserve a spot at the big events and not 'Hey step aside Yuzu you already won everthying so give us a chance'. This is sports, not charity event. 16 year old Yuzu had to fight for his way up through the most competitive field of men in Japanese history back then so what prevents the younger ones from being able to do so.

century2009

On the Ice
Err... aren't you being more than a a tad judgemental to Yuzuru given that the idea that it's his best chance is Izxnl's conjecture and we have no idea if, let alone why, Yuzuru would go? He may simply want to break another curse and would go whether or not Chen was there (this is the guy, remember, who asked for Skate Canada against Patrick at the height of his dominance because he wanted to learn from and about him), and we don't even know that either of them is going. Chen could also decide it's easier pickings (as he did - as they all do - when choosing their home country for one of their GP slots)

I'm getting a little sick of this "why doesn't Yuzu let the others have the medals" whining, why doesn't Nathan withdraw from the GPF as well, he's got two of them??? They're both being greedy and should retire and let the rest of the field win for a change, yes?

Yuzuru picked Skate Canada because he wanted competition.

Chen and Yuzuru dont actually have choices when their host country wants them for their home GP.

In the rules, Chen as a winner of Worlds have choices, but it is ultimately the host country's decision. Like this year, Chen probably wanted NHK because it is better for his school schedule but cant because the host country did not allow and will want Hanyu. Same of why Hanyu is not in Skate America with Chen being chosen.

Chen being always at Skaye America and Hanyu at NHK is the host country's decision. Not because it is an easier pick.

And Hanyu has said his goal was to meet Chen at the GPF. And Chen also wants to meet Hanyu at the GPF. That is their reason for competing in the GP series. That is why he doesnt pull out. And they are part of their federation and must do what they say in the end as they do sponsor them in the sports.

So dont understand your argument. Being greedy is you wanting to go to a competition taking away other skaters when you dont need it and the federation is trying to give their various skaters opportunities because their are so little.

Why did Daisuke, even though chosen for Worlds last year, did not go??

century2009

On the Ice
Also, skaters compete now because their body cant compete later. They are not being greedy as their time in the sport is actually limited.

It is their only physical opportunity to. You think Hanyu or Chen will be able to compete when they are 40 years old. They wont be able to anymore later.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzuru picked Skate Canada because he wanted competition.

Chen and Yuzuru dont actually have choices when their host country wants them for their home GP.

In the rules, Chen as a winner of Worlds have choices, but it is ultimately the host country's decision. Like this year, Chen probably wanted NHK because it is better for his school schedule but cant because the host country did not allow and will want Hanyu. Same of why Hanyu is not in Skate America with Chen being chosen.

Chen being always at Skaye America and Hanyu at NHK is the host country's decision. Not because it is an easier pick.

And Hanyu has said his goal was to meet Chen at the GPF. And Chen also wants to meet Hanyu at the GPF. That is their reason for competing in the GP series. That is why he doesnt pull out. And they are part of their federation and must do what they say in the end as they do sponsor them in the sports.

So dont understand your argument. Being greedy is you wanting to go to a competition taking away other skaters when you dont need it and the federation is trying to give their various skaters opportunities because their are so little.

Why did Daisuke, even though chosen for Worlds last year, did not go??

But he HAS NOT SAID HE WANTS TO GO TO 4CC, let alone why he might choose to. Calling him unsportsmanlike (especially given that every other skater praises him for his sportsmanship and generosity) because fans are speculating, because they (and the 4CC organiser, don't think for one minute they wouldn't jump for joy) want him there, when he has not said one word about it, is just plain petty and tall poppyism at its worst.

century2009

On the Ice
But he HAS NOT SAID HE WANTS TO GO TO 4CC, let alone why he might choose to. Calling him unsportsmanlike (especially given that every other skater praises him for his sportsmanship and generosity) because fans are speculating, because they (and the 4CC organiser, don't think for one minute they wouldn't jump for joy) want him there, when he has not said one word about it, is just plain petty and tall poppyism at its worst.

And NO SAID HE IS. It isnt even the time of year to decide Worlds and 4CC. We are all SPECULATING, and DISCUSSING. It can be petty and unsportsmanly. Japan does have other very good skaters and it must be hard to stand out.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And NO SAID HE IS. It isnt even the time of year to decide Worlds and 4CC. We are all SPECULATING, and DISCUSSING. It can be petty and unsportsmanly. Japan does have other very good skaters and it must be hard to stand out.

But you are deliberately borrowing the speculation to have a nasty dig at someone who doesn't deserve it. And plenty of Hanyu fans worldwide - more than any other current skater (though possibly it may happen in the future with Trusova) never get the chance to see him because of the sheer bloodbath of getting tickets every competition he is in, don't they deserve the hope that he might be there and they might get that once in a lifetime chance?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Let's try to keep this on topic?
-Speculation is ok...but at least keep it about the GPF.

GPF. Ladies, an amazing line up. Totally up in the air who might win and/or get on the podium.

Men, a show-down pt1 for this season. Plus, can Boyang, Kevin, Samarin and Aliev place themselves as contenders for the podium at GPF and the next competitions? This is the time to stand out.

century2009

On the Ice
Let's try to keep this on topic?
-Speculation is ok...but at least keep it about the GPF.

GPF. Ladies, an amazing line up. Totally up in the air who might win and/or get on the podium.

Men, a show-down pt1 for this season. Plus, can Boyang, Kevin, Samarin and Aliev place themselves as contenders for the podium at GPF and the next competitions? This is the time to stand out.

If Boyang can keep it together, he can get Bronze more so than others. However, he is not the best during the beginning of the season usually.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Plus, can Boyang, Kevin, Samarin and Aliev place themselves as contenders for the podium at GPF and the next competitions? This is the time to stand out.

One of them can, for certain. It didn't exactly help Cha last season, but you know, in the men's field every day is a new day.

Skate America seemed to have a more competitive men’s field than Skate Canada, though some underperformed. I don’t think that Nathan, even if he had a choice about Skate America, could be accused of taking the easy route there.

If winning 4CC is really ‘cursed’ then I would rather Nathan not compete there again. One title is enough.

Winning 4CCs is not cursed. (Ask the ice dancers;)).

What is it with fans of men's skating inventing curses? Are these gentlemen not already sufficient headcases without people inventing this nonsense? Generally speaking, 4CCs is a very big trip against a very deep field in the men's event. A great way to prove yourself and break through if you haven't yet, and a great way to get handed a loss right before Worlds. One can see why it is not often the favorite outing for athletes that have already established themselves as the favorites.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Somehow I have a feeling (or wishful desire LOL) that Yuzu will win GPF and Nathan will threepeat Worlds. Or who knows? Looking forward to part one of their battle!

This is what I think is the most likely too.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I think Yuzuru might go to 4CC if he's healthy and Nathan doesn't attend. After his SCI win, 4CC is officially his only missing title in his career. (sorry a bit unrelated to the thread)

Well if we are talking about the gp circuit, he’s never won SA or IDF either, though he does have a GP Finland gold to make up for it!

Atlantis

Rinkside
Yuzu has already hinted he is not going to 4cc. He said in the recent interview he has three competitions this season after nhk. So, gpf, nats, wc.

To switch back to the ladies for a minute, I think the order will very likely be

Trusova
Kostornaia
Shcherbakova
Zagitova
Tennell

That leaves Kihira who could place anywhere from 2 to 5.