How can Mao and Yuna max their scores? | Golden Skate

How can Mao and Yuna max their scores?

Bennett

Record Breaker
Just for fun:)

How would you think that Mao and Yuna may increase their scores going into the Worlds? Currently, they are so close!

Let me start with Mao!

SP
Replacing 3F-3L with 3L-3L
Replacing 3Lz with 3F
Enhancing the excution of steps to get level 4 again

LP
Two 3As (with the second one being 3a-2t)
Cleaner landings
Replacing 3Lo with 3S
Replacing 2A-2Lo-2Lo with 3Lo-2Lo-2T

I heard Mao team had planned two 3As earlier in season. Where in the program was the second 3A-2T supposed to be? I have no idea. Any thoughts?

And predictions for Yuna?

SP
Replacing 3F-3L with 3L-3L
Replacing 3Lz with 3F
Enhancing the excution of steps to get level 4 again.
I like this. The loop is a good jump for Mao. She should be able to get at least as high GOE for a 3Lo/3Lo as for the 3F/3Lo.

If we give her 4.0 points for her Lutz ("e" + mandatory -1 GOE), the old jump layout has a base value of 14.5, compared to 15.5 for the new (plus, she might get positive GOE for the solo flip).

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
I like this. The loop is a good jump for Mao. She should be able to get at least as high GOE for a 3Lo/3Lo as for the 3F/3Lo.

If we give her 4.0 points for her Lutz ("e" + mandatory -1 GOE), the old jump layout has a base value of 14.5, compared to 15.5 for the new (plus, she might get positive GOE for the solo flip).

But doesn't Mao sometimes get UR for her loop combination? I think she's gotten about 3 UR on her loop combos this season. I like her loop, but I don't know that she can rely on it given that it doesn't seem to be a completely clean jump for her.

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
LP
Two 3As (with the second one being 3a-2t)

I heard Mao team had planned two 3As earlier in season. Where in the program was the second 3A-2T supposed to be? I have no idea. Any thoughts?

I don't think two 3As are possible given that her solo 3A isn't even consistent. I just want her to clean up her edging and skate clean. Darn it!!!

Last edited:

*Sniper*

On the Ice
I don't think two 3As is possible given that her solo 3A isn't even consistent. I just want her to clean up her edging and skate clean. Darn it!!!

I agree!!
She's obviously got to improve or change her techniques and focus on fully rotating them.
Once she does, the scores will follow.

AS FOR YUNA....
I am not an expert, but her spins and spirals could definitely be better.
Her jumps are excellent, and yet not all of them are receiving +2, so if she keeps working on them, WOW.

Bennett

Record Breaker
But doesn't Mao sometimes get UR for her loop combination? I think she's gotten about 3 UR on her loop combos this season. I like her loop, but I don't know that she can rely on it given that it doesn't seem to be a completely clean jump for her.

Her URs were on 2a-2l-2l.

Her team tried out 3l-3l and 3F to put it in her SP during the period of time between TEB and GPF, which they ultimately decided not to include in this event.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker

that's interesting! Thank you for calculation.

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
Her UR was on 2a-2l-2l. She hasn't had 3l-3l. Her team tried it out to put it in her SP between TEB and GPF, which they ultimately decided not to at this event.

Mao had her 3F-3L UR at SC in both SP & LP. Why would 3L-3L instead of 3F-3L make a difference? I think this season is turning out to be a season of UR and edge calls, and Mao didn't get called for either last season, which is making quite a difference this season. Unless Mao is phenomenally great at loop jumps, I don't think it makes difference unless Mao is far more consistent with 3L-3L over 3F-3L. I could be wrong, but I wonder if 3L-3L risks more UR calls?

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Mao had her 3F-3L UR at SC in both SP & LP. Why would 3L-3L instead of 3F-3L make a difference? I think this season is turning out to be a season of UR and edge calls, and Mao didn't get called for either last season which is making quite a difference this season.

Unless Mao is phenomenally great at loop jumps, I don't think it makes difference unless Mao is far more consistent with 3L-3L over 3F-3L. If Mao is going to risk UR call, then she should stick with whatever has higher value. Can someone tell me which has higher value?

Sorry, I misunderstood that you had meant a jump starting from loop when you had said a loop combination. But yes, she has 3F-3L both in SP and LP.

The advantage of using 3L-3L instead of 3F-3L in SP would be that she can use 3F for the solo jump out of steps, which makes it possible for her to get away from flutz call. If she uses 3F-3L, my understanding is that she cannot repeat either 3Lo or 3F in her solo jump (Please correct me if I get it wrong), but to use 3Lz.

I think this season is turning out to be a season of UR and edge calls,

I totally agree.

If Mao is going to risk UR call, then she should stick with whatever has higher value. Can someone tell me which has higher value?

Flip would have a higher value. I think that Mao is more consistent in 3F-3L than 3L-3L. But I guess because of the flutz problem (and possibly because of unsuccessful landing on 3F-3L as well), they tried to think of plan B.

Last edited:

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
Sorry, I misunderstood that you had meant a jump starting from loop when you had said a loop combination. But yes, she has 3F-3L both in SP and LP.

The advantage of using 3L-3L instead of 3F-3L in SP would be that she can use 3F for the solo jump out of steps, which makes it possible for her to get away from flutz call. If she uses 3F-3L, my understanding is that she cannot repeat either 3L or 3F in her solo jump (Please correct me if I get it wrong).

I totally agree.

Flip would have a higher value. But I guess because of the flutz problem, they tried to think of a plan B.

I think it's going to be difficult for Mao to max her score this season with the way YuNa is getting +GEO with her near flawless jump technique. As much as other people thing that Mao has 3A in her LP, I do think that Mao's 3A is becoming more inconsistent and it will probably get worse as she continues to grow. So, I sort of consider Mao's 3A an anomaly at this time.

I see what you're saying with a solo flip to avoid flutz, but does that mean that Mao will totally leave out flutz in her SP & LP to avoid edge calls? It that's the case, I think it gives more reason to put YuNa ahead of Mao if they both skate clean. Like I said, I don't want to depend on Mao's 3A because she hasn't landed a clean one in a while, so that leaves Mao with loop, flip, 2A and "sort of inconsistent but getting there" toe loop vs. YuNa's full set of triples minus 3A.

No matter what, I think we're fortunate to have YuNa and Mao. I think they are really competing against each other with others fighting for the bronze. They both have rooms to improve, so can you imagine how amazing they will be?

IMO, one big advantage YuNa has over Mao is her musicality. It's something you're born with or without, and YuNa seems to just "have" it.

Last edited:

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
Replacing to 3l-3l is a very good idea for Mao IMO. Actually I was thinking about this plan B from the beginning of the season wondering why Mao's team isn't making any adjustment. I think being dinged for wrong-edge take off means more than just minus GOEs. Knowing you're going get a deduction before you take the ice can play with your mind and hurt your confidence. So yes to 3l-3l in her SP.:agree:

Other alternatives, I'm not so sure about.

As for Yuna, well she just need to jump the jump and stay on her foot!!:biggrin:

kandidy

Final Flight
DOn't you think that triple loop triple loop are very easy to injury? That is the reason why Tara Lipinski who is famous for her signature of Triple Loop -triple loop did not stay long in this sport. If Mao wants to stay for Olympic 2014, she should choose jumps protocol that give her good term. Like, umm, fixing Flutz? Triple axel-double toe, triple flip-triple toe?

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
DOn't you think that triple loop triple loop are very easy to injury? That is the reason why Tara Lipinski who is famous for her signature of Triple Loop -triple loop did not stay long in this sport. If Mao wants to stay for Olympic 2014, she should choose jumps protocol that give her good term. Like, umm, fixing Flutz? Triple axel-double toe, triple flip-triple toe?

Let alone stay around for 2010 Olympics! Mao can last only so long if she depended too much on the loop jumps which seem to really "finish" a skaters career. Maybe she needs to just write off a whole year as a year of fixing her jumps. If anyone can do it, I definitely think that Mao can.

Lumi

On the Ice
Mao could do 3f-3t and 3r in SP. Atleast if the 3f-3t is consistent in practice. Base value would not be as high as 3r-3r and 3f, but maybe less riskier?

Bennett

Record Breaker
It also would be cool if Mao brings her 3S in at Worlds or next season. She had it in her program when she was younger. She also seems to have practiced 4S as well. It would be cool if she could replace it with one of the 2As.

According to an interview, Yuna seems to just focus on the current program contents when going into the Worlds. That sounds a very reasonable strategy for her given that she is really good at getting high GOEs and PCSs :agree:

kandidy

Final Flight
It also would be cool if Mao brings her 3S in at Worlds or next season. She had it in her program when she was younger. She also seems to have practiced 4S as well. It would be cool if she could replace it with one of the 2As.

According to an interview, Yuna seems to just focus on the current program contents when going into the Worlds. That sounds a very reasonable strategy for her given that she is really good at getting high GOEs and PCSs :agree:

I dunno, I have feeling about 3S that if she can't have it now, then she won't have it forever.

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
I dunno, I have feeling about 3S that if she can't have it now, then she won't have it forever.

It saddens me to say this but I agree with you. Trying to fix a jump is hard enough but to do it while going through a growth spurt? I think it's going to get harder & harder for Mao to have consistent 3A or correct her flutz. :cry:

Last edited:
I've seen Mao do 3A-2L as a junior! Although there are some flaws in her technique, she's just an incredible jumper. People say she's one helluva jumper now. But back when she was a junior, she was doing things like 4Lo, 3A-2L, and steps into 3A.:bow: I'm pretty sure she has given up on quad, which is a smart thing IMO.

I still don't think she is comfortable with 3T yet. But the three combinations she landed at GPF, plus 3A should be enough to guarantee her at least Silver at Worlds, and give Yu-Na a very good fight. She could be super aggressive and put something like 3Lz-3L instead of 2-2-2, or even 2nd 3A. (or both :yes:) But I think that's way too much given that her 3-3 and 3A have been very shaky this season to say the least.

As for Yu-Na, I've seen her do 3Lz-3T before. So technically she could put two 3-3 in her LP. But then she'd have to sacrifice 2A-3T which gets her almost as many points as a 3-3. Given that Yu-Na doesn't have 3L as a combo jump, she doesn't really have (or need) a lot of options. Mao's base value of the jumps will always be higher than Yu-Na's. But that means nothing. We've all seen what happened just two days ago.

Justlooking

Rinkside
It saddens me to say this but I agree with you. Trying to fix a jump is hard enough but to do it while going through a growth spurt? I think it's going to get harder & harder for Mao to have consistent 3A or correct to her flutz. :cry:
But I read somewhere she used to overrotate her 3 salchow, so maybe it's okay

Bennett

Record Breaker
I feel that Mao has great musicality; she can dance with every note of the music so naturally since she was junior. This season, her LP and gala performances are really great in that aspect.

But she may be able to work more on increasing contact with the audience, interpreting the themes, and adding more theatrical aspects in her expressions.

I feel that Yukari has improved so much in these aspects during the last two years. I don't know why she doesn't get higher PCSs. I also feel that Yuna improved a lot from the 2005-2006 season to the 2006-2007 season in terms of the contact with the audience and theatrical aspects in her expressions.

Last edited: