Ice Dancing - Free Dance (Mon. Feb 22 - 16:45) | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Ice Dancing - Free Dance (Mon. Feb 22 - 16:45)

Hikaru

Final Flight
I'm a D/W fan, and I think V/M deserved to win, but I do think their scores got a Canadian bump. I don't think they should've beaten D/W by that large a margin. In all honesty, I didn't care for V/M's performance. Been there, done that. I hated the music and the smaltzy romantic crap, but they skated it well. I wouldn't rank them among the greats (T/D or K/P), but they are very good. I hope if they don't retire, they think outside the box. And yes, I know, D/W skated to Phantom of the Opera, but they've switched up their programs. V/M's Mahler is very reminiscent of their Valse Trieste and Umbrellas of Cherbourgh. I wish they'd kept Pink Floyd from last season.

Anyway, kudos to V/M and I am so happy for D/W. I wish B/A had had better programs. They were robbed of bronze.

I agree with you. I don't have any problem with V/M, but I liked D/W program better, now having watch it for a second time. I used to think that V/M's program was more "Olympic", but what I loved about D/W's is the change in tempo, how technically sound were they, and their interpretation. PotO is a powerfull music, and I think they showed that. I have no problem with the canadians winning, they had a lovely program and much better costumes than what they showed at Worlds last year (thank God for that!), but I don't think they are 5+ points better than D/W, when in the GPF they were apart by barely 2 points. Can someone confirm if V/M beat D/W in the PSC? I think they got the same in TES, right?

Justafan

On the Ice
I liked Pechalat and Bourzat too as well as the Italian pair. I am also excited to see what Samuelson and Bates do in the next several years...I think they have great potential. I did not care for either of D/S programs nor their costumes. Her FD costume looked like her boob was exposed and it seemed like it was designed for a reaction. I also don't like the ropes being used as a lifting tool but besides that the skating at least on his part seemed labored. (Granted I know he has had injuries but they were way overscored IMO).

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I thought both of Delobel and Schoenfelder's dances were wonderful. (Is there such a thing as being "too French" :laugh: )

The cancan was a delight -- Offenbach rules! The only possible criicism was the one made on U.S. television by the "fashion consultant" -- Isabelle's underskirt could have been a more shocking color of pink. :)

For the free dance the vibe I got was, they knew they couldn't medal, so they were just out there dancing -- dancing for themselves, for their career together, and for us. :love:

I really liked them too, it's just that you fully unsertand the program when you fully understand the lyrics. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure that it touches as many people as some of the other programs did that night. It was a very good dance but one that would have been more appropriate if they'd have stayed on until next season and done it then. That's why I qualified the errors as strategic, because their skating was of very high quality, as usual.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Oops! I had to come back about the ropes..

Please..that belongs in a circus. A skating competition should be about the skating, not who has the best harness. The havoc and injury that could follow from less experienced teams trying to emulate those above them by using this gimmick makes me shudder.:scowl:

TCAngel18

Medalist
Belbin/Agosto didn't have the programs or the skating to really own bronze. It was sad because I felt that they knew they were being thrown under a bus by their coaches, and I can't imagine this experience was good for them. Will they be considered the best team to never win a worlds/Olympics?.

no, i think that title goes to Rahkamo/Kokko, such great dancers, possibly above all other teams, they were dancers and not merely skaters....

viv

On the Ice
Though I am one of the few here who has a soft spot for DomShabs I am delighted with the result here.

Virtue&Moir just were sublime, I couldn't move my eyes from them, and when their program was over I had tears in my eyes. I know it makes no sense to compare disciplines, but if you see Figure Skating as an art form, they are the only ones who are in the same league Stephane is in.
:clap:

Davis&White - well, you can count me as an offical hater of POTHO, but they clearly had the most athletic program here, and their twizzles are a phenomenon. I can't imagine how two individuals can do them so fast and still keep their synchronicity.
:rock:

DomShabs - they executed their FD much better than at Europeans, I still think they are gorgeous, but tonight just not on the same technical level than the other two couples. As many others, I didn't like their OD, not for political reasons (this being another discussion), but because it looked sloppy and apparently was choreographed sloppy-looking, which I don't care about.

Belbin&Agosto - I never was a fan, I always detested her plastic doll looks, I think Ave Maria is cheesy and the costumes were ugly. Nuff said.
:sheesh:

Faiella&Scali - should have been fourth, IMO. Two beautiful programs, well executed. I have no idea who and who will not be at worlds, but maybe they make the podium there.
:thumbsup:

DelShoes - looked ponderous and slow for me. I still think it was a bad idea not to go to Europeans, even more with the justification that they want to show a "surprising and exciting new program at the Olympics".
:disapp:
I feel a bit sorry for them, but they haven't deserved more, in fact I think Pechalat&Bourzat , who have been much better than at Europeans, should have placed higher than them.

All in all I think it was a great night for Ice Dance and I hope it will help to keep Ice Dance Olympic.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I wasn't that moved by V & M. I thought they were slower than D &W (at least for most of the dance--they changed speeds quite often, to their credit) and I thought their love theme was sort of "been there done that." It reminded me of Sale and Peltier's love skate and the love skate of the team that got injured in 2006. Davis and White had better theming, you could tell what they were supposed to be acting out. V and M were just another set of Canadians in Love.

I actually thought the Russians were pretty good, but someone should have told them not to dress like luggage with handles. Also, during their OD, wasn't it tasteless when she flipped her butt under his loincloth? I know he wasn't really naked, but jeez.

Poor Belbin and Agosto. That program didn't really suit them all that well, but I would've given them the bronze if it were up to me.

figuristka

Medalist
:love::love: Oh, bliss !

Tessa and Scott...Sublime. Beyond rubies.
Meryl and Charlie...The definition of a bravura performance.

Both to be adored.

I've been worshipping at Zoueva's altar for years, but can anyone not see her as the goddess of choreography now ? I'm so delighted that she will again be getting her due.

Tanith and Ben..I so wish they hadn't made that move. They are above this material. Don't know what to hope they'll do about world's.:disapp:

Me too, so many of Marina's programs i loved , also G&G's "Vocalise". I will forever remember though when i first heard the Mahler piece. Katia skated it at the rink for just the few of us who skated there. A piece of music i think is quite beautiful. I feel alittle sorry for the few who are not moved by V/M or the music, iam certainly glad it touches me.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
There are no words. I am SO happy for V/M!!! They needed to keep it together under pressure, and they nailed it. I just hope that this doesn't discourage them from continuing until at least 2014. There are still pleanty of international titles (all of them, actually) that they haven't won, and I think that they could be even better four years from now (if that's possible). I'm also thrilled for D/W!!! Their FD, which I was never really a fan of, was great last night. I think there was no question of who the top two teams were last night. That was a real turning point for ice dance. GO NORTH AMERICA!!!!

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
If anyone has D/S, Kerr's or Crone /Poirire available to upload please let me know, i was unable to get up so early and the site that have them are blocked in my country. Thanks

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I wasn't that moved by V & M. I thought they were slower than D &W (at least for most of the dance--they changed speeds quite often, to their credit) and I thought their love theme was sort of "been there done that." It reminded me of Sale and Peltier's love skate and the love skate of the team that got injured in 2006. Davis and White had better theming, you could tell what they were supposed to be acting out. V and M were just another set of Canadians in Love.

If 'theme' were the judging criteria, you'd have a point. However, a good part of the judging criteria is the technical elements. Scott and Tessa's program was technically very difficult (lots of deep edges, and turns, very few crosscuts, almost no side-by-side skating with lots of partner holds). Also, your note they they were "slower" has more to do with the fact that D/W's music was faster so they had to have faster steps to it. This is just my opinion, but at times I felt it was riding the edge of control and that they were almost going for it a little too much. As for the skating, V/M carried a lot of flow through difficult footwork. That kind of speed (flow) is a far more important quality to an ice dance.

I'm sorry, not meaning to get testy here, I just get a little offended by people critiquing the results when their critique is based on an overall general opinion. I think, because ice dance results have strayed so far away from what's actually happened on the ice for so long, that most of the general public think that the overall theme and expression is the key criteria for ice dance, when it's not and those things are only a part of the total package, the way they are to a singles skater's total package.

I will forever remember though when i first heard the Mahler piece. Katia skated it at the rink for just the few of us who skated there. A piece of music i think is quite beautiful. I feel alittle sorry for the few who are not moved by V/M or the music, iam certainly glad it touches me.

I had a hard time blocking out my memory of Katia the first time I saw V/M skate to this (probably because G & G were my all-time favourites and I was crushed when Sergei passed. Does anyone know how Tess and Scott came to choose that music? Was it suggested by Marina?

Last edited:

sk8m8

Final Flight
sad for BelGusto

So sad for both BelGusto and the Russians, both teams had much better skates in them that the dreck that was the choreography they were given to put out there. Both programs were hot messes and did nothing to elevate their teams to the levels they can and have reached.

Congrats to both Davis/White & Virtue/Moir, the gave ultimate clutch performances and both teams established themselves as part of the new order of Ice Dancing. I think it's wonderful that this dicipline finally has the depth of competition that the other areas of FS have enjoyed.

Last edited:

**Carol**

Rinkside
I can agree witb gold and silver medals. tessa and scott were elegant, polisshed and very mature. D/W were powerfull.

I feel bad for Ben and Tanith, they should won the bronze medal. I'm going do miss them, and even tough they have alot of herts, spetially tanith thta its even critized about "her doll looks", their are great skatrs and did a lot for US ice dance, their are idols for some young temas and they have their names in the figure skating history.

the move to Linichuck was good for their tecniche but i think they could have chose other choreagrapher.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) Marina did suggest Mahler. All these years since Katia used it, Marina's been saving it for "something special" . Tessa & Scott's OD music was also used by G&G . Marina could give Tessa & Scott no greater compliment ,IMO.

Last edited:

BigJohn

On the Ice
no, i think that title goes to Rahkamo/Kokko, such great dancers, possibly above all other teams, they were dancers and not merely skaters....

Those two would have my vote. I loved D&L, but R&K were better.

DelShoes - looked ponderous and slow for me. I still think it was a bad idea not to go to Europeans, even more with the justification that they want to show a "surprising and exciting new program at the Olympics".
:disapp:
I feel a bit sorry for them, but they haven't deserved more, in fact I think Pechalat&Bourzat , who have been much better than at Europeans, should have placed higher than them.

All in all I think it was a great night for Ice Dance and I hope it will help to keep Ice Dance Olympic.

It was a bad idea to come back just for the games. P&B should have placed ahead of them even with that meh time program.

Final Flight

piano18

Rinkside
Irina Lobacheva was asked to comment about the results. She says V&M were two heads better than the rest of the competition, hands down. Then she says davis and white's silver over Domnina/Shabalin's bronze is a bit "controversial" to her lol, she doesn't see how davis & white are better than dom and shabalin lol

funny woman

Last edited:

BigJohn

On the Ice
Irina Lobacheva was asked to comment about the results. She says V&M were two heads better than the rest of the competition, hands down. Then she says davis and white's silver over Domnina/Shabalin's bronze is a bit "controversial" to her lol, she doesn't see how davis & white are better than dom and shabalin lol

Lobacheva should be quiet. D&W are already more accomplished skaters than she and her partner ever were. The controversy is that Dom & Shab were still in the top 3 after the FD.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Haha that sounds like maybe they'll 'settle' for each other. Maybe they have an agreement like 'if neither of us is married by the time we're 30...' Isn't he with Jessica Dube and her with Fedor Andreev right now?

I'm assuming V&M aren't in a serious relationship with anyone else, otherwise wouldn't their girlfriend/boyfriend be a bit surprised to see them telling an interviewer they are open to the idea of getting married to each other some day?