Inappropriate music in skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Inappropriate music in skating

Procrastinator

On the Ice
The worst part of the Med 9/11 program is indeed the insertion of the live audio. It's literally triggering to many of us who lived through that day.

The "vocals" are not on the soundtrack version, nor do they appear anywhere in the film. I recognize some of the moments from several different news clips I've seen. That means that not only did Averbukh add those tasteless moments, he deliberately and intensively looked for the most traumatizing ones, like people screaming, sounds of the plane, etc.

I get that the Russians don't really have an understanding of "tackiness" and something being too "on the nose," but this was still egregious.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't know how she couldn't have known the program was about 9/11. All you have to do is watch her facial expressions and her emoting and it was pretty clear it was about a tragedy. Maybe the Russian populace doesn't understand how horrific that was for some of us. I just thought it was disrespectful to the nth degree.

The other program that I found offensive - pretty strong word but inappropriate doesn't work - was Ashley's exhibition piece to Handclap in her little tiny short shorts. Really? Have posted several times that her "sex kitten" act turns me off. Not a prude, just don't think it works in figure skating unless perhaps in a show where you expect the outrageous.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I agree that the 9/11 program was in very poor taste. I think I only watched it through a single time in total and have never re-watched it with sound. Even though that event didn't really affect me personally at all - I just watched the live news on TV. I believe it's because it subconsciously made me recall the time I was at a mall when a bomb went off there.

In general, I believe that programs about such events should just be completely left alone - If we haven't been there and experienced it or had it affect us, we really cannot make it come across right and it just feels pretentious. Even without considering potential PTSD.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The worst part of the Med 9/11 program is indeed the insertion of the live audio. It's literally triggering to many of us who lived through that day.

The "vocals" are not on the soundtrack version, nor do they appear anywhere in the film. I recognize some of the moments from several different news clips I've seen. That means that not only did Averbukh add those tasteless moments, he deliberately and intensively looked for the most traumatizing ones, like people screaming, sounds of the plane, etc.

I get that the Russians don't really have an understanding of "tackiness" and something being too "on the nose," but this was still egregious.

Wow seriously?! That's messed up, although as I understand it Averbukh is a repeat offender, he was also behind that Life is Beautiful skate on a Russian TV show wasn't he? That made news!

I don't know how she couldn't have known the program was about 9/11. All you have to do is watch her facial expressions and her emoting and it was pretty clear it was about a tragedy. Maybe the Russian populace doesn't understand how horrific that was for some of us. I just thought it was disrespectful to the nth degree.

Well, from what I understand, Evgenia said she was portraying a general tragedy, someone saying goodbye to someone who leaves for the day or whatever, and then receiving devestating news at the end that that person is never coming back- the bit with the phone. Although that might have just been damage control...

What gets me is that even after making that comment they didn't take the vocals out! I'm sure Evgenia wasn't trying to be offensive, but dang...

Manitou

Medalist

Whatever you accuse her of, she had the best intentions.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The other program that I found offensive - pretty strong word but inappropriate doesn't work - was Ashley's exhibition piece to Handclap in her little tiny short shorts. Really? Have posted several times that her "sex kitten" act turns me off. Not a prude, just don't think it works in figure skating unless perhaps in a show where you expect the outrageous.

It was a show program designed for the 2017 tour of Stars On Ice. Supposed to be fun and playful, that is all.

rain

Record Breaker
No..see I'm wrong here it's All-Star.

You were right the first time "It ain't no joke to want to buy the world a toke/and teach the world to sing in perfect harmony..." And there are more drug references throughout — but it sure is catchy!

I've often wondered if anyone is offended/upset with Duhamel/Radford's Hometown Glory — is this the first instance of a competitive program using a song with an un-censored expletive? Doesn't bother me at all, but I've been curious...

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
I don't know either. Plus, those kids don't even know and don't care about the song's context. They go after musical values, whatever suits their skating.

But Pernilla Sorensen is not a little kid - she is near 20 years of age...

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Larkyn’s Mein Herr
Elizabet’s Papa Can You Hear Me

^^ two perfect examples of why this issue is too subjective. Larkyn had the audience clapping along with a song about sleeping around, Elizabet drew praise for what many would consider cultural appropriation.
...and don’t get me started on the Miss Saigon drama

Unless a lyric has a curse word or if a skater uses overtly sexualised choreography - which would need to be clearly defined in a set of rules somewhere “...mandatory 5 point deduction for spanking one’s rear end..” then I think “anything goes”. (A song which I would like to see skated to, coincidentally!).

If people choose to, they can read into absolutely anything and take issue with it. I think this is a case of trusting the skater/their team to know what might make a judge shudder.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't think sarcasm is a constructive addition to any discussion.

I think if a skater wants to be taken seriously and acts in an age-appropriate manner, costume and music are critical. If what you see is what you get - then deal with the fallout.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
I agree that the 9/11 program was in very poor taste.

In general, I believe that programs about such events should just be completely left alone -

Who would Police subjective issues like this, though?
Everyone has a different and deeply personal connection to events such as 9/11, for example, I had someone involved personally and vividly recall the day, and for me Zhenya’s skate was heart wrenching and emotional.

There could be an Ethics Committee of sorts set up, for skaters to have their proposed programs approved before debut.
Reasons for rejection or change could be in the form of something like-

- this skate is, by virtue of the music, too clearly associated with a particular event which the committee feel would be upsetting to the majority of viewers
HOWEVER the choreography and costuming are not in our opinion event specific and as the issue of *war* in general may be alluded to, we will review the program and at this point feel inclined to approve if the following changes are made: music selection, vocalisations....

Or

-although the subtext of this music is of a sexual nature, we do not feel the lyrics are sexually explicit. HOWEVER the choreography from 2:34 onwards we feel would be offensive to most viewers and as such withhold approval until such time as the skater submits an amended version for review.

Or

- although members acknowledge that some viewers are indeed frightened by swans, this bird-themed program with accompanying feathered costume has been deemed appropriate and approved by the ethics committee

....thoughts, anyone?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't know how she couldn't have known the program was about 9/11. All you have to do is watch her facial expressions and her emoting and it was pretty clear it was about a tragedy.

She knew it was about a tragedy. Averbukh told her it was a program representing all the tragedy in the world (Evgenia mentioned this in an interview). So once again, it comes back to Averbukh.

The stupidest part about that program was that it was a lovely program and perfectly beautiful without the voiceovers. The music and the expression would have told the story. It's really an insult to Evgenia's talent that Averbukh thought we needed to beaten over the head with it.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
She knew it was about a tragedy. Averbukh told her it was a program representing all the tragedy in the world (Evgenia mentioned this in an interview). So once again, it comes back to Averbukh.

The stupidest part about that program was that it was a lovely program and perfectly beautiful without the voiceovers. The music and the expression would have told the story. It's really an insult to Evgenia's talent that Averbukh thought we needed to beaten over the head with it.

That last paragraph - Karne, I couldn’t agree more.

I think that the competition is successful when the audience leaves the arena talking about this skater's great jumps or that skater's exciting step sequence. If the buzz is, "she skated to naughty music" or, "she had a wedgie," then to me the event failed as an athletic contest.