Inappropriate music in skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Inappropriate music in skating

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know what world folks are living (I mean this sincerely, I just haven't lived in that world ;)) in where a Dad doesn't say to his 16 year old daughter "You are NOT leaving the house dressed like that, young lady".

Is it really such a jump to "You are NOT getting on the ice skating to that, young lady":laugh:

creaturelover

On the Ice
Been gone for a few days so haven't read this whole thread BUT I think, for me, the most inappropriate piece of music was Medvedeva's lP last year - the 9/11 piece. As someone who lost friends and acquaintances in that horrible event, seeing it referred to in a figure skating program was hard to stomach.
I agree. Always felt uncomfortable about that program.

charlotte14

Medalist
She knew it was about a tragedy. Averbukh told her it was a program representing all the tragedy in the world (Evgenia mentioned this in an interview). So once again, it comes back to Averbukh.

The stupidest part about that program was that it was a lovely program and perfectly beautiful without the voiceovers. The music and the expression would have told the story. It's really an insult to Evgenia's talent that Averbukh thought we needed to beaten over the head with it.
Hence she ditched his FS this season. lol

Rissa

Record Breaker
I haven't read the entire thread but people really take an issue with Samohin's Delilah? If it's ok for a singer to sing, then it's ok for a skater to skate to. If controversial topics were completely a taboo, we'd never have a book about murder either. Phantom and Dracula don't seem to evoke any objections but a murderously jealous guy from a pop song does? Skating to an evil or morally dubious character is a rare choice but just as valid as any other. Actually I wish skaters did it more.

About inapproprate artists: we really have to deal with the fact that people (skaters, choreographers, coaches) very often just don't know. Scandals, trials, prosecutions are rarely big enough to make it abroad, especially if people are just into music and are too busy to follow artists' lives.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just for the record, Mike Weiss skated to "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" in SOI & in other professional shows. I really liked that program by Mike.
I gave up my seat to his sister and her child so they could film his induction ceremony. But then I have a weakness for beautiful well dressed ladies anyway. ;)

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
If someone skated to the Muslim Call to Prayer chant, a lot of audiences would be like, huh?

As a hereditary atheist, I would love to see a program to an Islamic chant, something like in the beginning of Aliev's gala program.

Evgenia herself said the program wasn't supposed to be about 9/11, so I have no idea what happened there.

It was rather about the Oklahoma City bombing which almost got Eteri killed. Personally, I wouldn't even have heard about it, if not for Zhenya's program. As I understand, Eteri or Averbukh tried to find a more or less popular soundtrack connected to some big tragedy, and they chose an American film (after all, it's mostly American tragedies that get most promotion, unless it's a comedy about Afghan Wahhabis killing the Russians, speaking of tackiness). With not enough understanding of the cultural context, it ended up being not discreet enough.

lappo

Final Flight
As a hereditary atheist, I would love to see a program to an Islamic chant, something like in the beginning of Aliev's gala program.

It was rather about the Oklahoma City bombing which almost got Eteri killed. Personally, I wouldn't even have heard about it, if not for Zhenya's program. As I understand, Eteri or Averbukh tried to find a more or less popular soundtrack connected to some big tragedy, and they chose an American film (after all, it's mostly American tragedies that get most promotion, unless it's a comedy about Afghan Wahhabis killing the Russians, speaking of tackiness). With not enough understanding of the cultural context, it ended up being not discreet enough.

I always wondered what was the reason to insert Bush voiceover about 11/9 if indeed the program was related to another event, though...in that case they should have simply left the music to avoid any confusion.

Manitou

Medalist
I always wondered what was the reason to insert Bush voiceover about 11/9 if indeed the program was related to another event, though...in that case they should have simply left the music to avoid any confusion.

Karne said it very well - it was so perfect without any voiceovers, they were so unnecessary. Take away the 9/11 and leave it titled "A piano lesson from my Grandma" and it's one of the most emotive, softest and artistic pieces, both in music, choreography and execution, in figure skating. Including picking the phone at the end.

I am a hobbyist photographer, I post photos in photo contests, and I know this dilemma. You never think the piece is ready and you keep pushing and pushing. It's so easy to lose control of the limits. You try to reach some imaginary peak in your execution, and then you pass it without even knowing, and you keep going and then you end up with something much below what was supposed to be. Not because you did too little work, but because you did too much.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Tonya Harding's SP People are still having sex. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ImRyPymRAM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5GFw42p5vM
This music reminded me of.. movies where people are naked.

I really didn't like her choice of music, but at least that was before the age of vocals in music. IMHO it would have crossed the line to "inappropriate" for competition if the lyrics "People are still having sex" were constantly repeated. I also think it would have been somewhat distracting.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight

Most "Islamic chants" are passages from the Holy Quran or other sorts of dua [prayers], and they have a highly ritual function.
There is a lot of wonderful Sufi music, though, some of it is very tender or rhythmic or transporting or trance-inducing even but I think only a skater with a certain maturity and reverence for the source material could properly pull such a thing off. It's certainly an interesting concept but I don't think it will ever happen.

That thing in Aliev's music was more for flavour I guess, kind of like the beginning of Sting's "Desert Rose". I think it was very kitchy to be honest.

ks777

Record Breaker
I really didn't like her choice of music, but at least that was before the age of vocals in music. IMHO it would have crossed the line to "inappropriate" for competition if the lyrics "People are still having sex" were constantly repeated. I also think it would have been somewhat distracting.

But I loved Tonya' LP from 92 music choice. Gato Barbieri Europa earth's cry heaven's smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLSmbXsd3ZQ
I still listen to this music in my car.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
So....my skater (who was 6 at the time) skated to "Cake by the Ocean" at the camp ice show one summer....because 6-year olds think that the song is literally about "cake by the ocean". The head of the camp gave me some grief after because she thought it was "inappropriate for a 6 year old", but in my opinion it is sufficiently metaphorical and nonsensical that it was ok.

Now, I think very explicit music with curses and graphic depictions of sex, violence, and/or derogatory terms are inappropriate for young children and frankly anybody performing in a competitive setting. Like it would be really gross and uncomfortable if someone skated to Akinyele's "Put it in Your Mouth" as it is extremely graphic. I suppose if you have an 18+ show, you could have more sexual and violent content, but you would have to be up-front about the content (like in the movie ratings - so if you might offended, you self-exclude).

I think programs with innuendo and metaphors are a bit more gray, but I would think that as a competitive skater, you would at least want to make sure it was tasteful and not vulgar in any way. The problem is, that's probably up to interpretation and standards vary across cultures.

I thought that Patrick's commentary on Tarasova/Morozov's "Candyman" was hilarious, especially his take on what was censored from the song and what wasn't... "The line is drawn at fruit metaphors."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C7bGFkbtIk

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
There is a lot of wonderful Sufi music, though, some of it is very tender or rhythmic or transporting or trance-inducing even

Sufis could do a perfect ex program. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb2XGnxsu8k&t=17m30s

That thing in Aliev's music was more for flavour I guess, kind of like the beginning of Sting's "Desert Rose". I think it was very kitchy to be honest.

Except that Aliev skated to the song "Praying for Parents" written and sung by Muslims. The song itself is very touching.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Sufis could do a perfect ex program. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb2XGnxsu8k&t=17m30s

Except that Aliev skated to the song "Praying for Parents" written and sung by Muslims. The song itself is very touching.

Are you sure? It sounds more like an imitation of an Orthodox chant [because of the ison / drone and the phrasing] than anything Muslim and it didn't sound to me like Arabic or Persian or Urdu or a Turkic language at all.
I did a little research and I suspect it could be Georgian, based on the name of the person who wrote the music, but then I don't know Georgian.
Also it may be about parents and very heartfelt and moving and so on but I find it to be ultra-corny. Maybe a big part of it is the actual performance, when was the Voice or Music Idol or X factor of any of their clones known for making a solid artistic statement.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I thought that Patrick's commentary on Tarasova/Morozov's "Candyman" was hilarious, especially his take on what was censored from the song and what wasn't... "The line is drawn at fruit metaphors."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C7bGFkbtIk

Omg yes, that commentary is perfect. It's obviously over the top, but it's so needed for that program.

I mean I agree, 'it makes my cherry pop' sounds innapropriate, but it's a methaphor, it's not so obvious, but you let 'panties drop' in the program? The hell?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Omg yes, that commentary is perfect. It's obviously over the top, but it's so needed for that program.

I mean I agree, 'it makes my cherry pop' sounds innapropriate, but it's a methaphor, it's not so obvious, but you let 'panties drop' in the program? The hell?

Panties drop right on quadruple twist! Sounds fitting :biggrin: Albeit possibly coincidental. But with Russians you never know ... they like it literal and often tastelessly as a result.