Is Mirai the next Sasha? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Is Mirai the next Sasha?

janetfan

Match Penalty
If only she had international credit to back her up... :scowl: Even if she had that national title... Well, at least no one will rule her out now. I see a bright future ahead of her. ;)

I agree and when Mirai wuzrobbed at Natls her chances to medal in Vancouver were never going to be as good.
Mirai could have been scored closer to 66-68 in the SP considering how much better she was than Miki and Rachael's 64.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Perhaps this sets the stage for her first World medal a month from now? :biggrin:

Well, she and Rachael might both be under more pressure to win a medal... depending on who shows up ... It'd be great to see ... in any case they'll get kudos just for winning back the much ballyhooed 3 spots. Only reason why they shouldn't be able to do that is if they lose steam. It'll be their third straight pressure-filled competition. Both skated nearly their best at both. If they do it again at worlds....well, wow.

Layfan

Record Breaker
More so than Flatt, no?

who knows? We're always tempted to write off a skater as soon as they stumble or perform less than expected in one competition. Obviously, I much prefer Mirai. But I wouldn't write off Rachael just yet ... but i'd put my money on mirai...

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
who knows? We're always tempted to write off a skater as soon as they stumble or perform less than expected in one competition. Obviously, I much prefer Mirai. But I wouldn't write off Rachael just yet.

I am not witing her off - just holding my breath for Christina Gao next season.......

I thought Rachael was consistent and skated exactly the same at the Olympics as she did at Natls. Exactly the same. Just a different set of judges at this event who seemed to favor Mirai. It could be different at Worlds......and why not - it's figure skating :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Rachael may retire too - even NBC noted last night her homework was getting backed up :laugh:

I think Christina will be ready for next season and see Mirai and Christina as our new #1 and #2 Ladies. The third is never as important so whether it is Rachael, Ashley or someone else is no biggie.

She has already said she wanted to continue skating even while going to college- but if she enrolls as a full-time student I can't possibly see how she'll be able to stay highly competitive in skating (see Emily Hughes).

I'm so not ready to annoint Gao right now...seen too many crumble under the expectations.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, she and Rachael might both be under more pressure to win a medal... depending on who shows up ... It'd be great to see ... in any case they'll get kudos just for winning back the much ballyhooed 3 spots. Only reason why they shouldn't be able to do that is if they lose steam. It'll be their third straight pressure-filled competition. Both skated nearly their best at both. If they do it again at worlds....well, wow.

It also depends on if any medalists skip Worlds. I'd all but imagine Kim would...don't know about Asada, and I question whether Rochette can handle yet another competition after what she's been through.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I am not witing her off - just holding my breath for Christina Gao next season.......

I thought Rachael was consistent and skated exactly the same at the Olympics as she did at Natls. Exactly the same. Just a different set of judges at this event who seemed to favor Mirai. It could be different at Worlds......and why not - it's figure skating :)

I think you make a good point. I think Rachael's SP was actually better at the Olympics than Nationals (maybe not technically but overall) and her LP was about the same, whereas Mirai I thought her SP was better at nationals and her LP was better at the Olympics. They are both very consistent performers and I was glad they handled the pressure so well and went clean. Worlds I don't know what will happen, but I am confident now that we should be able to get 3 spots back. There potentially could be pressure for both Rachael or Mirai to medal there if say Joannie does not show up (as far as I know Yuna and Mao will both be there), but I honestly think both girls have a good shot at medaling but could also fall short of a medal if Miki or say Lepisto were to skate really well. If Mirai can continue to rotate her jumps I'd say she has a slight edge with her superb speed, spins, stretch but again I think it just depends on the event and the judges.

I am hoping for Christina to become a threat next season too. She has such great technique and potential! The one thing about her is that she still looks very young and a bit juniorsih, and until she grows up physically she might not be taken too seriously at senior international events. Who knows though, Mao got huge scores as an itty bitty 15 year old. I think growing up has definitely helped Mirai though, she actually looks like a senior lady now and not some little 12 year old. Yuna went from skinny and a little awkward to mature and sophisticated in one season though (when she was 16) so Gao may do the same. I think she has a very good shot at medaling at jr worlds and I expect she will be on the senior GP circuit next season!

R.D.

Record Breaker
The "pressure" some posters seem to speak of in regards to Flatt/Nagasu at worlds I think will mainly be to get three spots back, not so much to medal. But I look at what happened with Meissner in 2006- with only one of the Olympic medalists choosing to compete, she put down the LP of her life to win it all. If Kim and Asada are absent from Worlds I absolutely think it's a possibility that one of them could medal.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The "pressure" some posters seem to speak of in regards to Flatt/Nagasu at worlds I think will mainly be to get three spots back, not so much to medal. But I look at what happened with Meissner in 2006- with only one of the Olympic medalists choosing to compete, she put down the LP of her life to win it all. If Kim and Asada are absent from Worlds I absolutely think it's a possibility that one of them could medal.

Things could change - but Mao has said she is definitely going. Yuna said a while ago she would go to Worlds but it is possible she might change her mind.
Joannie like many Canadian Olympic athletes had to sign a contract to also appear at Worlds. Joannie could certainly be excused but she is also a team player. If Joannie stays home Canada could lose a spot. Yuna may show for Korea if for nothing else to keep two spots for her federation - although why not add a 2nd WC to her legacy if she will retire after this season?