Is Mirai the next Sasha? | Golden Skate

Is Mirai the next Sasha?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
We have already questioned if Mirai is "the one" and while it is obvious that she and Sasha share the flexible gene there are some more similarities.

Sasha debuted at Senior nationals in 2000 where she wowed us in the short with ballet lines, lovely spins, effortless jumps and poise beyond her years.

Mirai debuted at 2008 Nationals. She skated a flawless SP and soon became the talk of thr event with her spins, flexiblity and effortless jumps.

Sasha finished second behind the favored Michelle Kwan with one fall in an otherwise impressive freeskate. She was too young to go to senior worlds unless she skated at junior worlds and medaled. She skated at junior worlds but did not medal... and a teary-eyed ans dissiponted Sasha did not go to senior worlds.

Mirai had one fall in an otherwise clean freeskate and won, due to the lack of Michelle. She was too young to go to senior worlds and by 2008 there was no loophole with junior worlds. She went to junior worlds where she was 3rd.

The next season Sasha suffered a back injury which forced her to miss Nationals. It was so bad, some thought she would not recover. She could not go to worlds that year due to missing nationals.

Mirai's 1st year as s senior was tough as well. She grew several inches and injured her foot. Her jumps were often downgraded. She competed at senior nationals, but her results were a shadow of what was and she placed 5 th. She was nor named to the world team.

For the 2001-2001 Olympic team Sasha came back with a vengance. She and her no-nonsense legendary coach, Mr. Nicks trained the quad and Sasha, determined to prove herself as a condentor tried the 3/3 a GP event. While she was not perfect that fall, she was building momentum. She convinced her coach that she had to skate to Carmen and chreographed the program herself. At the 2002 Nationals Sasha skated a perfect SP but her freeskate could not top the technically solid Michelle. Sasha finished second and made the Olympic Team, her 1st major international competition. She was 16.

Mirai switched coaches over the summer to legendary no-nonsense coach Frank Carroll. She convinced him that she had to skate to Carmen. Her two GP events were not perfect, but Mirai built cofidence and showed glimpses of what could be. At the 2010 Natioanls she skated a perfect short. In the freeskate she was charming aristically, but finished second to the technically solid Rachal Flatt. She qualified for the 2010 Olympic Team, her first major international event. She is 16.

Both girls are from Southern California.

Will the similarities continue? Will mirai skate lights out in the SP, fall in the free and finish fourth in Vancouver? What will the next years hold?

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I think she very well could be. She has "IT" just like Sasha, but seems to be landing the jumps in the long. Tincture of time...

kyla2

Final Flight
Mirai

Mirai is the total package. Her artistry is right up there with the best of them. If she fixes the slight under rotation, she can be competitive with anyone including Yu Na. Her spirals, laybacks and spins are first rate. Frankly, I think they over penalize her for the under rotation, which are not always significant. The rule book allows for slight under rotation, but the judges ding her rgeardless. The nit picking that goes on by the judges is ruining the sport. A fall should be penalized more than an under rotation.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Unlike Kimmie and Emily right ;)

The thread is not asking whether Nagasu is the next Meissner or Hughes, though...;)

Anyway, in 10 years we could be asking, who is the next Mirai? On and on..........and on.

MKFSfan

Medalist
No. She is Mirai. In some ways, I think she can be better than Sasha, IF she fixes her URs. She's capable of doing 3/3s and 2a/3t. She is a fantastic spinner, has great speed, the ability to land her jumps and all the "IT" factor in the world. Yes, both Mirai and Sasha have similar strengths in common-flexibility, artistic ability and wonderful spins/spirals, but I truly think Mirai has her own personality and is very different from the baby ballerinas category. If she can build on what she just did at Nationals, she was right when she stated she is going to be the future of US Figure Skating.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mirai is sweet and unassuming. I don't think she's like Sasha at all.

She's also surprisingly blunt/honest in her interviews, not too much unlike Cohen was at her age.

But skating-wise, I don't see many similarities at all (apart from the occasional bendy position). Nagasu (when on) is more charming than Cohen ever was. Cohen was more a "watch what I can do" type of skater IMHO.

R.D.

Record Breaker
.......and Alissa

Czisny has had a couple of clean longs in her career. Unfortunately though, even after all this time, the event where she does TWO clean programs still eludes her. Hmm...she's not exactly alone ;)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai is sweet and unassuming. I don't think she's like Sasha at all.
Mirai is extremely immature right now. I don't think it's good to compare her to someone that is 9 or so years older.

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
There will never be another Sasha. That's my emo statement for the evening. Back to fetal position.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Wow, there are a lot of uncanny similarities in their stories! Especially their struggles in the year after they roared onto the senior stage and and their delightful comebacks the next year - and both skating to Carmen!
I thought their approach to Carmen is revealing about the differences in their personalities. Mirai was not certain she was ready for Carmen and had to be talked into it. 16-year-old Sasha was convinced she was ready for it and insisted on it. That tells me Sasha never doubted she had star quality. I love her for that. Mirai had to find her confidence and she did so this year in a most endearing way. I love her for that too.

There will never be another Sasha. There will never be another Michelle. That's why they are stars. Let's hope we end up saying in a couple of years there will never be another Mirai. :cool:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope the heck not. I hope she just wants to be the best Mirai there is, not a copy of someone else

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mirai's not like Sasha, she's more athletic and spunky. She reminds me more of Kristi Yamaguchi, who is her favorite skater.