Japan to enter bid to host 2023 World Figure Skating Championships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japan to enter bid to host 2023 World Figure Skating Championships

macy

Record Breaker
It's time for federations to apply to host 2024 ISU Championships:

... ISU Members are invited to submit applications for the following ISU Championships for the year 2024 as listed below. ...
ISU European Figure Skating Championships (January 22-28, 2024)

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships (February 6-11, 2024)

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships (February 26-March 3, 2024)

ISU World Figure Skating Championships (March 18-24, 2024)

ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships (March 8-9, 2024)

ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships (April 5-6, 2024) ....

ISU Members are invited to send applications for the above-mentioned ISU Championships to be received at the ISU Secretariat not later than April 15, 2021 (Rule 127, paragraph 2). The ISU Council will review and decide upon the ISU Championships allotments during its June 2021 meeting. ...

[Plus applications once again being taken for 2023 ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships (March 10-11, 2023), which previously had no bids.]
Detroit for 2024 worlds! :hap10:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
During Challenge, Myriane Samson revealed on the French broadcast that Patinage Québec had applied to Skate Canada to host 2024 worlds in Montreal. So, as far as Patinage Québec is concerned, they want to host worlds again... now it's a question of getting chosen by both Skate Canada and then, the ISU. Concerning Japan, well... it's obvious Japanese fans love the sport, but that shouldn't mean for them to host worlds every 2-3 years... the enthusiasm felt from Quebec athletes about worlds in Montreal was a really big deal... and that sort of momentum should benefit many countries. The ISU needs to think about building its future outside of Japan if it wants to reach more fans. (PS, I am not saying Japan should be ignored to host worlds... just that a bit more rotation with other countries would be welcome.... Montreal has not hosted worlds since 1932... )

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
During Challenge, Myriane Samson revealed on the French broadcast that Patinage Québec had applied to Skate Canada to host 2024 worlds in Montreal. So, as far as Patinage Québec is concerned, they want to host worlds again... now it's a question of getting chosen by both Skate Canada and then, the ISU. Concerning Japan, well... it's obvious Japanese fans love the sport, but that shouldn't mean for them to host worlds every 2-3 years... the enthusiasm felt from Quebec athletes about worlds in Montreal was a really big deal... and that sort of momentum should benefit many countries. The ISU needs to think about building its future outside of Japan if it wants to reach more fans. (PS, I am not saying Japan should be ignored to host worlds... just that a bit more rotation with other countries would be welcome.... Montreal has not hosted worlds since 1932... )
I don't think it's fair that Japan hosts so often. Boston was great, and I would love it there again. Montreal deserves it, definitely. And the West coast of North America deserve it too.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Japan's definitely a tempting spot to host the championships, because of the appreciation of the sport and all of the great venues, but I would love to see different venues than the same few over and over. Montreal and Boston, San Jose/Detroit, France, South Korea... the list goes on and on! It's a great way to drum up excitement for figure skating in new countries. Japan can have the WTT.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I can see why it might be good to spread them around, but money and the appeal of a big audience make for a strong case.... especially in the year after the Olympics and given the need to rebuild after covid.
Worlds in montreal were going to be a huge success if covid had not struck... and they were very well attended in Boston... not sure why people think that the sport only lives in Japan... it's not true... I know it's extremely popular in Japan... but let's not alienate the rest of the world because it's super popular there... it's like if cross country skiing events were only hosted in norway

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Worlds in montreal were going to be a huge success if covid had not struck... and they were very well attended in Boston... not sure why people think that the sport only lives in Japan... it's not true... I know it's extremely popular in Japan... but let's not alienate the rest of the world because it's super popular there... it's like we cross country skiing events were only hosted in norway

Montreal would have been big, but we have to be honest, their own ads made it crystal clear that they were hoping and pushing for the internationally-travelling Japanese fans to come in their usual numbers. After all, Skate Canada's financial statement for 2019 (? I think, I remember listening to it but not exactly when, the one before covid stopped play) also made it clear that both ACI and the Skate Canada GP made their profits very significantly from those fans, and it's not only the Japanese themselves - it's known that a lot of Chinese fans stumped up for the Korean 4CC (and then chose not to go to try to help protect the skaters from the possible early spread of covid). Let us give credit where credit is due here.

I'm not saying that the big competitions shouldn't be shared around as far as possible - I'm still mourning Sydney's 4CC (dodgy hip or not, I woulda been there) and I agree, the more countries that get the shiny competitions, the better it will be in the long run. I'm saying that at a time when both the ISU itself and the cities who can put their hands up will still be recovering from the economic fallout of, well, right now, TPTB may go for the safer option that promises most sales, most crowds (pictures/videos of full rinks make for good PR), most profits for the hosts and their city. Therefore, Japan and Russia may - may - get looked at more fondly for a year or two. Especially if there's a clearout of big names after Beijing as there was after PyeongChang.

Not saying this is right or fair, but sport's a business.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Montreal would have been big, but we have to be honest, their own ads made it crystal clear that they were hoping and pushing for the internationally-travelling Japanese fans to come in their usual numbers. After all, Skate Canada's financial statement for 2019 (? I think, I remember listening to it but not exactly when, the one before covid stopped play) also made it clear that both ACI and the Skate Canada GP made their profits very significantly from those fans, and it's not only the Japanese themselves - it's known that a lot of Chinese fans stumped up for the Korean 4CC (and then chose not to go to try to help protect the skaters from the possible early spread of covid). Let us give credit where credit is due here.

I'm not saying that the big competitions shouldn't be shared around as far as possible - I'm still mourning Sydney's 4CC (dodgy hip or not, I woulda been there) and I agree, the more countries that get the shiny competitions, the better it will be in the long run. I'm saying that at a time when both the ISU itself and the cities who can put their hands up will still be recovering from the economic fallout of, well, right now, TPTB may go for the safer option that promises most sales, most crowds (pictures/videos of full rinks make for good PR), most profits for the hosts and their city. Therefore, Japan and Russia may - may - get looked at more fondly for a year or two. Especially if there's a clearout of big names after Beijing as there was after PyeongChang.

Not saying this is right or fair, but sport's a business.
yes. I have met many Japanese fans at events in Canada... and that's awesome and that's great and should be planned for in budget... it would be silly to ignore that when making any large competition's budget.. there are always tourists attending... I was in vancouver in 2010... SO MANY TOURISTS :)

... so actually, let's play devil's advocate here, if Japanese fans will travel anyways, might as well hold Worlds in other countries to develop those audiences as well ;) what if I had had a chance to go to worlds in Montreal and thought it was indeed worth it to travel once in a while, around the worlds, to experience worlds again? From my little experience attending events, (nationals, GP and challenger) i wouldn't travel far away to attend similar events... perhaps for worlds, I would feel differently but i will not know until i experience it right? Maybe that's one of the reasons the Japanese fans are willing to travel for Worlds as they know from experience it's worth it ;)

CarolPooh

Rinkside
Sorry for my ignorance, how does the ISU choose which federations among the applicants to hold events? Does the federation pay a price to the ISU or does the ISU claim a share of the profit? Maybe that is why Japan is prefered?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sorry for my ignorance, how does the ISU choose which federations among the applicants to hold events? Does the federation pay a price to the ISU or does the ISU claim a share of the profit? Maybe that is why Japan is prefered?
It’s mainly about perceived viability plus a general desire to rotate the event around — note that it’s usually not held on the same continent consecutively.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Montreal is a beautiful, multi-cultural city. They also have great public transportation from what I recall. Canadian Fans are so awesome to be around because they have so much knowledge and love for the sport. I can only hope they are first in line to host again if the opportunity should arise. I have never been to a skating event in Montreal however, I have in Vancouver, Toronto, and Edmonton. The crowds were huge and the skaters were great to the fans.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So what are we looking at a decade before North America hosts Worlds again? C'mon Japan doesn't own figure skating.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
C'mon i get that figure skating is popular in Japan but is North America going to have to wait almost a decade for another Worlds?
Well, Saitama seems pretty much confirmed for 2023, but 2022 is to be held in Montpellier, so 2024 has a better chance of being in North America assuming the ISU continues their tradition of rotating between continents. If that's the case, then perhaps Montreal will be awarded Worlds again to make up for the cancellation of 2020? They did apply. If that's the case, then it won't be a decade between North American Worlds. (hooray!)

Last edited:

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
From ISU Summary of Championship Applications (published today, Sep 7):

2023 Worlds
  • BLR Minsk March 20-26, 2023
  • HUN Budapest March 20-26, 2023
  • JPN Saitama March 20-26, 2023
Also:

2022 Four Continents:​
  • CHN Tianjin January 17-22, 2022
  • TPE Taipei City January 17-22, 2022
  • USA Colorado Springs or Lake Placid January 17-22, 2022
  • UZB Tashkent January 17-22, 2022
2023 Euros:​
  • ARM Yerevan January 23-29, 2023
  • BLR Minsk January 23-29, 2023
  • BUL Sofia January 23-29, 2023
  • CZE Ostrava January 23-29, 2023
  • FIN Helsinki January 23-29, 2023
  • GER Essen January 16-22, 2023
  • HUN Budapest January 9-15, 2023
  • ITA Torino January 23-29, 2023
2023 Four Continents:​
  • USA Colorado Springs or Las Vegas February 7-12, 2023
2023 Junior Worlds:​
  • BLR Minsk February 27-March 5, 2023
  • CAN Calgary or Regina or Winnipeg February 27-March 5, 2023
  • TPE Taipei City February 27-March 5, 2023
2023 Synchro Junior Worlds​
  • No bids
2023 Synchro Worlds​
  • FRA Lyon April 7-8, 2023
  • USA Las Vegas or Lake Placid April 7-8, 2023
(2020 Synchro Worlds in Lake Placid were cancelled because of COVID.
The 2021 event is scheduled for Zagreb; 2022 for Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.)

ETA (on Feb 15, 2021):

For the sake of completeness of this thread, belatedly editing in the provisional allotments that the ISU announced on Oct 16, 2020:​
Season 2021/22
Figure Skating

- 2022 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, Tianjin, China

Season 2022/23
Figure Skating

- 2023 ISU European Figure Skating Championships, Helsinki, Finland

- 2023 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, Sydney, Australia

- 2023 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, Calgary, Canada

- 2023 ISU World Figure Skating Championships, Saitama, Japan

Synchronized Skating

- 2023 ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships, Lake Placid, USA

I would love to see a World Championships in Budapest!!

I really enjoy Japan, but having Worlds in Saitaima 3 times within ten years seems a bit much for me. Spread the location around!!