Japanese off-season shows 2023 - media links, reports, fluff | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japanese off-season shows 2023 - media links, reports, fluff

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Here’s the notification on the “The Ice” website for Europeans like me, who can’t access Yahoo Japan:

https://fs-theice.com/notification/dance-unit-2023/

By the way, fans have been invited to think of suitable names for the two "units”. So far suggestions are ranging from A: Daimoz and B: Junmari to A: Strong Miso and B: Light Soy Sauce. :unsure:

The names of the floor dance units are:

Kevin & Dai: Diamonds
Junhwan & Ilia: Illusions

news_230721.jpg

Source: https://fs-theice.com/notification/dance_unit_2023/

Clip of Junhwan and Ilia rehearsing for their dance number: https://www.tiktok.com/@fstheice/video/7257807600731852034?_r=1&_t=8e8XxXOmf9F

It was also announced that the classic on-ice dance battles will be held again this year. They can be watched live on the show's official TikTok account and fans can vote online for their winner in each round. This is what the pairings look like:

dancebattle.jpg

So today we'll get Madison Chock vs. Jason Brown (matinee) and Loena Hendrickx vs. Evan Bates (soiree), while it's Kana Muramoto's vs. Adam Siao Him Fa's turn tomorrow.

Source: https://fs-theice.com/notification/dancebattle2023/

The first show starts in about 3,5 hours. Please note that "The Ice" won't be archived/will only be streamed live.

Jason posted these pictures from the rehearsals:

From Madison's ig account:

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I know what they did there :biggrin:
Dai-monds and Ilia-usions

Close. You forgot about the second member of each team. :biggrin:

The announcer explained it like this when he introduced the units:

- Da(i/y)moz turned into Diamonds

- Ili-Jun turned into Illusions

You have to twist your tongue to get from "Ili-Jun" to "Illusions", but it kind of makes sense. :laugh:

These are the themes choreographer EBATO came up with for each team:

Diamonds: Friendship / Fun party dance to “New Genesis” by Ado (Uta’s theme song in the One Piece movie “Red” – a plug for the One Piece on Ice show later this summer, I guess?)

Illusions: Innate talent / Overcoming obstacles to “Given-Taken” by Enhypen (the boyband former figure skater, Sung-hoon Park, is a member of)

And this is the result:

Dance Unit Project, 22 July matinee: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mbZPuQgqprE8VJKKbDXhuF34xcbBDoqn/view?usp=sharing

Dance Unit Project, 22 July soiree: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1plVhxRFMtfUQlw1k72n6EcMgwh3k-Xso/view?usp=sharing

The on-ice dance battles for anyone, who missed them on Tik-Tok:

Madison vs. Jason: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nTxU2Jf3G6wG5a8_4MBKYA9UKNOpK16Y/view?usp=sharing

Loena vs. Evan: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lxjyOTI99aOcbUFeV4HkbDLE69cCb8QK/view?usp=sharing

Kana vs. Adam: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nRCOxiITzowSMl8l3KWlzrqC5F6h4Fbr/view?usp=sharing

A “Super special edition” of The Ice 2023 will be shown on 27 August and 24 September on Nitteleplus:

https://www.nitteleplus.com/program/the_ice2023/

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Just wanted to make a public appeal, if anyone has a recording with Kazuki's new FS 'Halston' can you please share here, or on Kazuki's FF or via pm :pray::pray::pray:

Japanese fans have been praising this programme a lot, I'm super curious!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason is now doing fluff for "The Ice". His fluff pieces are always well done and feature all the other skaters.

"Hi Barbie, Hi Ken" 😅 (even the skaters are loving this, commenting. Commenting on the IG post, but embedding Twitter because sometimes the IG proportions are skewed)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Always love Jason's fun posts from the shows. The Ice seems to be going well and is playing to very enthusiastic crowds. There is a stellar cast, and it makes me so happy to see Dance well represented. With the dance battles, debuts of new programs, a wonderful crowd-pleasing Nathan-Shoma duet (to mention just a few things), the audiences seem to be really "into" it. They're headed to Osaka now and then on to one more city. I think the cast may be sorry when the tour comes to an end.
!

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
The rehearsals for Friends on Ice are underway:

The cast celebrated Mai's birthday on the 22nd 🥳:

The last show on August 27 will be broadcasted live on CS Nitteleplus from 5 p.m. (JST):

Shizuka Arakawa about the highlights of this year’s FOI:

Machine translation:
Shizuka Arakawa talks about the highlights of Friends on Ice 2023!

--What is the concept behind this year's Friends on Ice 2023?

Shizuka Arakawa (Ms Arakawa): After the past years, when there were various restrictions on how to enjoy entertainment due to the Corona pandemic, we have not yet fully recovered, but as the restrictions are being lifted in stages, I hope that I can encourage people to gradually lift their spirits and give that boost. My biggest wish is to make it a show. The main concept is: 'Let's all get excited together, let's move forward in good spirits.'

--Is there a theme you are particularly conscious of?

Arakawa: "The title of the show is Friends on Ice, so the literal translation is 'friends'. I hope to bring out the concept of 'together with friends' even more strongly this time. Also, I hope that the show will not be a one-way show from the performers, but a show where we can share the power, atmosphere and passion with everyone who comes to the venue. I hope that you will enjoy the live experience of each show and have a good time with your friends.

--I was told by Mr Takahashi and Ms Muramoto that 'Poeta' will be performed by Mr Takahashi, Ms Muramoto and Stephane by Ms Arakawa's request

Arakawa: That's right. I always think about who I would like to see skating with whom in the Friends on Ice shows, and it was the first thing that came to mind.

Kana-chan also skated 'Poeta' in a competition program before, and it was a very passionate and moving piece. As an ice dancer, she skated with Dai-chan in some wonderful programs, but I think she is also a skater who has the ability to skate on her own.

Kana herself has a career as a singles skater, and I'd be happy if this could be a stepping stone for people to gradually get to know how great she is as a solo skater called "Kana Muramoto".

The idea was that it would be wonderful if Kana-chan skated in the world of 'Poeta' now, and when I think of 'Poeta', I think of Stephane. It's a great number, one of his best-known works, but I hadn't seen much of it recently, so I offered it to him, "Stéphane, will you skate it?", thinking "Would he accept?". I was a bit worried, because it's a program I love and I'm sure it's a number that Stéphane also cherishes, but he accepted!

Also, I've always wanted to see Dai-chan's passionate, strong numbers like tango and flamenco. I thought, 'Dai-chan, it's about time you did some of those kinds of numbers [again]'.

Recently, Kana and Dai-chan have been showing us their own world view, but I thought that if the three of them skated together with their own personalities, it would be a very passionate and heart-wrenching number, so I offered them to do it.

I always ask for things that I would like to see in Friends on Ice from a skating fan's point of view.

--This time, Ms Arakawa, you will have a solo program choreographed by Ms Muramoto, won't you?

Arakawa: Yes, that's right. I wasn't really planning to make a new piece, but Nobunari Oda suggested a song, saying, "I think this song would suit you, Ms Arakawa".

It was the song "Uta yo" from the film "The Dragon and the Freckled Princess". In the process of constructing the overall structure, we also decided to create a new individual number and asked Kana-chan to choreograph this song.

It is unusual for me to skate to a song in Japanese, but it was easy for me to catch the content and I think the audience could easily share the emotions. I feel that this is a good thing.

--What does Friends on Ice mean to you, Ms Arakawa?

Arakawa: When I started the show in 2006, I didn't think it would last this long, but after about 10 years, I began to think, "If the show has lasted this long, I want to continue it with care".

When skaters who normally skate individually get together, I want to make the most of their characters and create a great time. It's not about who is the main attraction, but everyone is the star of the show. I always think that the skating fans can enjoy seeing the skaters shining at that moment.

Even when we skate previous [old] numbers, we try to deliver a contemporary production that presents the skaters as they are now. I want the show to be a fusion of the nostalgic and the new, where skaters can inspire each other.

It's not every day you find an ice show with so many skaters in their 30s and 40s. But to have skaters in their 30s and 40s who continue to sharpen their skills and improve themselves, it's a great inspiration for the next generation. I hope it will also be an opportunity for them to become a beacon for the next generation, to think about how they want to live their lives as skaters. I would be happy if the younger skaters feel that there are still areas they can improve on.

I hope that the audience will feel a sense of nostalgia and freshness, and that they will be able to fully enjoy the skaters' passionate performances in a cool venue.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I uploaded the collaboration numbers + opening and finale from the "Friends on Ice" live broadcast on August 27 at the packed Shin-Yokohama Skate Center:

I will upload the highlights broadcast of "The Ice" in Nagoya with the following contents next weekend:

• Shoma Uno segment (Come together + interview)
  • Kaori Sakamoto segment (Feeling good + interview)
  • Kana Muramoto/Daisuke Takahashi segment (The Mask + retirement speech + part of the ice dance collaboration number to The Ice Queen )
  • Nathan Chen segment (Mr. Blue Sky + interview)
  • Jason Brown + Kazuki Tomono fluff segment (they visited the theme park "Nagashima Spa Land" and went on several rollercoasters :cool:)
  • Riku Miura/Ryuichi Kihara segment (Moonlight Sonata - I put a spell on you)
  • Shoma Uno + Nathan Chen segment (collaboration to On the nature of daylight + rehearsal footage)

All interviews were conducted by Kanako Murakami. Akiko Suzuki provided the commentary. 🥰

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Thank you thank you, especially for 'Peota' from Friends on Ice synesthesia! :love::love::love: Just fabulous. Thanks again for making my day! :)

You're welcome, deedee. :)

I will upload the highlights broadcast of "The Ice" in Nagoya with the following contents next weekend:

• Shoma Uno segment (Come together + interview)
  • Kaori Sakamoto segment (Feeling good + interview)
  • Kana Muramoto/Daisuke Takahashi segment (The Mask + retirement speech + part of the ice dance collaboration number to The Ice Queen )
  • Nathan Chen segment (Mr. Blue Sky + interview)
  • Jason Brown + Kazuki Tomono fluff segment (they visited the theme park "Nagashima Spa Land" and went on several rollercoasters :cool:)
  • Riku Miura/Ryuichi Kihara segment (Moonlight Sonata - I put a spell on you)
  • Shoma Uno + Nathan Chen segment (collaboration to On the nature of daylight + rehearsal footage)

All interviews were conducted by Kanako Murakami. Akiko Suzuki provided the commentary. 🥰

As promised: