Joubert | Golden Skate

Joubert

soogar

Record Breaker
Having just watched the men's free skate off of somebodyelseslife.com, I was really annoyed by Joubert constantly celebrating landing his jumps. I felt that it distracted from the program. Yevgeny definitely outskated Joubert, and Joubert spent a lot of time on both of his feet on his footwork (wasn't as complex as Plushy's footwork). I can't wait to see Lambiel's skate.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Having just watched the men's free skate off of somebodyelseslife.com, I was really annoyed by Joubert constantly celebrating landing his jumps. I felt that it distracted from the program. Yevgeny definitely outskated Joubert, and Joubert spent a lot of time on both of his feet on his footwork (wasn't as complex as Plushy's footwork). I can't wait to see Lambiel's skate.

I agree. I'm not usually a big Plushenko fan, but he really seemed to have settled into the program. There was no flapping or heavy emoting, it was my favorite skate of his to date. The fall was unfortunate, but those couple of seconds don't negate the rest of a high quality performance.

As for Joubert, I've said it before- He needs to concentrate on being Joubert. Let Yagudin be Yagudin.

rpiche

Rinkside
soogar said:

What's wrong with celebrating your jumps? What did he do exactly?

SusanBeth

Final Flight
He did less fist pumping than usual this time. Perhaps, he's trying to break the habit. It takes away from the presentation. Instead of seeing the overall performance, we get to watch Brian celebrate his jumps on an individual basis. Again, he was MUCH better in this performance.

Evdokia

On the Ice
Re: Re: Joubert

rpiche said:
What's wrong with celebrating your jumps?
Nothing, if you do this after having finished your programe, but not after the landing of each single jump element. ;)

lulu

Final Flight
SusanBeth said:
I agree. I'm not usually a big Plushenko fan, but he really seemed to have settled into the program. There was no flapping or heavy emoting, it was my favorite skate of his to date. The fall was unfortunate, but those couple of seconds don't negate the rest of a high quality performance.

I agree with you completely. Although I am a big Plushenko fan;)
This is actually my favorite Plush performance. I actually thought it was better than Russian Nationals, when he did Emote the program. (JMHO) He sold the program, but there was also this "calmness" about him.
I enjoy his skating, and I end up going "good job" after his performance. This time, I actually found myself smiling in the middle of his performance.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
This is figure skating , not tennis. It takes a lot out of the performance when you're fist pumping after every jump. Plus he even broke his program a little bit to celebrate those jumps.

I prefer the way Plushy skated this program at Russian Nationals (it's somewhere on the Web). He skated well but I think his SP was much better than his LP, plus I think the fall kind of took away from the performance even though it looked like he caught a bad edge or something. However Plushy is in a class by himself. I hope his body holds up so he can win the OGM.

Panther2000

On the Ice
SusanBeth said:
He did less fist pumping than usual this time. Perhaps, he's trying to break the habit. It takes away from the presentation. Instead of seeing the overall performance, we get to watch Brian celebrate his jumps on an individual basis. Again, he was MUCH better in this performance.
I noticed that also. I did not like that. When, you get your scores then you can do that. But, I think that the judges don't like that too much either. maybe, like showing them up or something. I am happy for him. He skated very well. & He can only get better. But, save the fist pumping for when all is said & done. Nothing wrong with being happy though. & he should be. He did a great job.

lavender

Record Breaker
Plushenko so deserved this title. I don't know why people were saying that he didn't. I know most of the talk was on the 6.0 but I really think it's because it's the last year and I thought he skated with passion, his spins was faster and footwork was quick. Someone say his footwork was slow.

soogar

Record Breaker
Plushy did skate much better than Joubert. I noticed that Plushy's spins are soooo much better than they used to be. However Plushy skated with more fire for the SP: he was smoking!!

You know, I'm going to get flamed but I've got to say it: I was not impressed with Weir. Weir moves really fruity and he's very slow compared to the European men.

I hated Mikey Weiss's LP , I think he needs to get a new choreographer. However I thought Mikey had a better SP than Weir and Henry VIII music really fit him well.

clarity1

Spectator
though i really enjoyed Joubert's program, i found that he had way too much empty skating. Anyone notice this as well? I mean there was a lot of skating around that could have had footwork incorporated into it. I believe this is where jourbert lacks...he needs a better choreographed program like plushy or sandhu.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Fist pumping during a performance drives me crazy! Can you imagine an Opera Diva doing it once she hits a high note? :laugh: Even Tennis players wait until they score a point, not celebrating after each time they return the ball!

For what it's worth, Plushy's Lou Farrigno impersonations in K&C turned me off too.

Did you guys get to see the medal ceremony? Interesting vibe between Plushy and Jubert before they took the ice for the medals. ;)

Kateri

On the Ice
The medal ceremony was kinda funny...Joubert and Plush avoiding one anothers gaze a lot - tho both were nice to Lindemann!

Also, you know the bit at the end, when the gold medalist usually invites the other two to share the top platform, well Plush didn't do this for a while, so Joubert just sort of barged on up there!

:rolleye: :laugh:

plush seemed a little put out, but had to look magnanimous....

k

diver chick

On the Ice
It's odd because during the SP when Brian was waiting for his marks they showed Evgeny backstage and he waved at Brian who just grinned and waved back. I got the impression that they are reasonably friendly :confused:

Anyway I am not a fan of Plushenko but I agree that he totally deserved the win last night.

Kateri

On the Ice
That was funny - but did you see the looks on their faces waving?
What are you gonna do with a camera on you - give the finger??

I'm not saying they hate each other - how would I know? but I don't think they're friends!

k

diver chick

On the Ice
Seemed okay. Obviously not 'Oh look there's my best friend in the whole world' kind of looks but just seemed mildly amused. You are right though - can you imagine the headlines if one of them gave the finger :laugh:

Matt

On the Ice
I am a big fan of Joubert/Baboo, and I have to say that, at this competition, the fist pumping really started to bother me. I know he was excited because he was in reaching distance of Plushenko, but I think he was a little too celebratory at times, which ultimately might have been his undoing (the only reason for the double turn at the end of his quad-triple was because he forgot to check the landing).

I like you, Baboo, but calm down and stay focused !

soogar

Record Breaker
I'm not sure what's with Yevgeny but he's never friends with his closest competitor. He and Yagudin hated eachother to the point that Yagudin would clap when Yevgany had a fall *maybe it was more Alexei hating Yevgeny b/c Yevgeny said diplomatic things when Alexei won gold (ie good job etc)*

Maybe b/c Alexei is working with Joubert, there's still that tension.

Joubert's skating doesn't really do it for me: he really needs to work on his footwork and get deeper edges and get off that second skate (do it more on one foot). I see a lot of Alexei in Joubert though: down to the haircut , good looks and the body type.

Ximena

Final Flight
But soogar, you can not compare the whole Plushenko/Yagudin history with Brian and Plush.

Plushenko is quite friendly with his competitors, he is been friend of Takeshi for quite a long time, he is friendly enough with Tim, he trains with Lambiel and gets along well with him. He does not see Joubert enough, all season long, they only saw each other 3 times so obviously they are not the best of friends.

Just to add, I do hate too the whole pumping fist on competition, if you do it once when you land something incredible ok. If Tim did the day he hit three quads (don't know if he did it) that was ok as well as Takeshi at 4cc, when Plush did his 4-3-3 fo the first time and did it ok too, but for almost every jump and jumps that you always do, bugs me too much.