Joubert | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Joubert

sarahmistral

On the Ice
great to have you here, Libra!

Hi!

Welcome to GS! I wanted to ask you something about the Protopopovs, which a fellow poster friend told me had begun skating late, in their teenage years, and won their gold medals relatively late. Would you be able to find out when they began to learn to skate?

Thanks!

Best,
Sarah

shine

Record Breaker
Oh, would LOVE to hear what the Protopopovs had to say regarding these worlds, at which we saw some of the most encouraging skating, but some of the most depressing judging!! Thanks in advance, libra!
BTW, I love your siggy sarah:love:

libra 1

Rinkside
shine said:
Oh, would LOVE to hear what the Protopopovs had to say regarding these worlds, at which we saw some of the most encouraging skating, but some of the most depressing judging!! Thanks in advance, libra!
BTW, I love your siggy sarah:love:

Dear Shine ,
here is the little interview with Belousova and Protopopov regarding Worlds and FS in general:
" All athletes - male skaters in Dortmund - were gorgeous, but only one of them has real magic talent - this year's champion Evgeni Plushenko.
After a heavy phsychlogical shock at Euros Evgeni needed a lot of inner strength to restore the balance.The today's competition system aims an athlete at a certain quantity of the most complicated elements and to win means to outjump others.. But this task is too narrow and for a skater with such great artistic abilities as Plushenko not interesting..
Plushenko's contenders usually do not place for themselves such exquisite artistic tasks. They try to make the largest number of jumps with the largest number of rotations, since above that they don't have enough sheer physical force left for details, and the details is what makes the figure skating beautiful...
The present-day strategy of the ISU aimed at intensifying the skating propgrammes changes FS from the artistic sport into extreme sport in which artistry mark may not be needed..."
In another inteview Protopopov called the figure skating " the figure jumping" and said he is worried by the tendency to make jumps more and more dangerous:" Someday we will see blood on ice if it goes on like that.."

Hope you like the interview.

libra - from Russia, with love

RussianBolero

Rinkside
libra 1 said:
BTW - Can anyone remember Joubert's ex next day after the GALA show?
I can...what would you like to know about it? :)

I can't agree that Joubert is nothing but a Yagudin clone. I found Joubert boring last year and even into this year, but by Worlds, I saw the beginning of a sparkle in his skating.

His presentation has been improving rapidly, and I'm positive that I'm noticing the beginnings of a style of his own.

On the other hand, I feel Plushenko has been stagnating, and I'm very sorry to see that. I hope he can get his knee into good shape and get himself some great choreo for next year.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Thanks, shine

I figured you'd like my signature, seeing as how we seem to have the exact same taste in skaters:love::laugh:

long live lyricism!

Sarah

curious

Final Flight
I would like to see joubert and others skate like Plush with a bad knee,don't think he can. Plush has to take care of the kneee first before he does more difficult combos and coreo. He only needs to skate clean to win.

RussianBolero

Rinkside
I would like to see joubert and others skate like Plush with a bad knee,don't think he can. Plush has to take care of the kneee first before he does more difficult combos and coreo. He only needs to skate clean to win.
I agree... for now. I don't think Plush can count on that for next season though, as Joubert seems to be building momentum.

I hope Plush decides to have the knee repaired or I'm afraid he's jeopardizing his Olys hopes.

herios

Medalist
I disagree with the criticism about Joubert, as far as his artistry is concerned, I think a lot of people tend to forget how young he still is, he has just about 3 full seasons on the senior scene, and what, he is now nr 2 in the World and European Champion??
He still skates "young", the artistry will just get better and better, what is important is that he got the clean "technique" as far as jumps is concerned and he's got that clutch competitor skill, key for a big champion.
It would be unfair to compare him with Plushy, who despite his young age (what 22?), he is among the top skaters for.....7 years? (Even I can hardly believe it). That is a whole Olympic cycle in his advantage compared to Joubert.
As it looks now, Joubert is clearly a candidate for an Olympic podium, even with a healthy Honda and Goebel (he can match Goebel's artistry and technically he is closing the gap, and Honda, let's face it, rarely is technically consistent, as far as artistically, I found him always overrated).
Herios

Last edited:

libra 1

Rinkside
RussianBolero said:
I can...what would you like to know about it? :)

I can't agree that Joubert is nothing but a Yagudin clone. I found Joubert boring last year and even into this year, but by Worlds, I saw the beginning of a sparkle in his skating.

His presentation has been improving rapidly, and I'm positive that I'm noticing the beginnings of a style of his own.

On the other hand, I feel Plushenko has been stagnating, and I'm very sorry to see that. I hope he can get his knee into good shape and get himself some great choreo for next year.

Dear RussianBolero,
I totally agree with you about the beginning of a sparkle in Joubert's skating - but we have Plushy's shining to compare to this lonely sparkle.
What really worries me is your remark about Zhenia Plushenko stagnating -I don't quite understand your meaning. Could you pls explain in more detail? Because with my adoration of Zhenia I may be the last to notice anything of the kind...
Thank you. I'm looking forward to your reply.

libra

RussianBolero

Rinkside
Hi Libra,

First of all, I just want to say that I've been "in love" with Zhenya Plushenko's skating for years, you can probably tell by my username that he's my favorite skater. So I may be biased. And I completely agree that he shines like a star. I know that many don't like his style, but I love it.

Second, I want to say that I think a lot of the "stagnating" that I think I see with him is due to his knee injury. His jumps are not as secure as they used to be, and he is tilted in the air a lot, with no run out on jumps a lot of times. Some of his elements, specifically the Biellman spin and maybe the catchfoot spiral, seem labored. He's not finishing off his moves like he used to, and they're not as smooth.

I don't feel like I'm seeing improvement (except in spins), but I'm seeing lots of improvement in Joubert...I hope that Mr. Mishin takes the competition from Joubert seriously. I'm worried...I really want to see Plush win Olys (Brian can have 2010).

Last edited:

libra 1

Rinkside
RussianBolero said:
Hi Libra,

First of all, I just want to say that I've been "in love" with Zhenya Plushenko's skating for years, you can probably tell by my username that he's my favorite skater. So I may be biased. And I completely agree that he shines like a star. I know that many don't like his style, but I love it.

Second, I want to say that I think a lot of the "stagnating" that I think I see with him is due to his knee injury. His jumps are not as secure as they used to be, and he is tilted in the air a lot, with no run out on jumps a lot of times. Some of his elements, specifically the Biellman spin and maybe the catchfoot spiral, seem labored. He's not finishing off his moves like he used to, and they're not as smooth.

I don't feel like I'm seeing improvement (except in spins), but I'm seeing lots of improvement in Joubert...I hope that Mr. Mishin takes the competition from Joubert seriously. I'm worried...I really want to see Plush win Olys (Brian can have 2010).

Dear RussianBolero,
you've taken away a lot my worries by explaining the " stagnation" issue.
You are absolutely right mentioning that bad knee. But there were other things which influenced the Nizhinsky programme as shown at the Worlds. It was the "Olympics" situation for Zhenia , and we may not even imagine the heaviness of the burden on his boy's shoulders at the time he came on ice. One , he had no right for a mistake - everyone before him had skates of their lives; two, the tactless remarks of head of Russian skating federation were discouraging. So Mishin told him " not the maximum, Zhenia, not the maximum" - because when Zhenia tried to do the maximum at Euros it brought s disaster, bad knee being the last but not the least.. I only wish you could have seen this same programme as shown in StPeterburg during Rus. Nats. It was so beatiful my heart missed a beat... Zhenia was flying over the ice.
I think this version of the programme must be somewhere on Russian sites and I'll try to get it for you. Of course the difference between those two versions of Nizhinsky was dramatic, but nonetheless justified.
Re: Zhenia's style . I think remarks of some people about Zhenia being too theatrical and doing too much posing in Nizhinsky come from the sheer lack of knowledge ( to put it mildly).Because the programme is about a Russian balletic genius and balletic poses is the core of the ballet dance. The costume, the music, the choreography - it was a heck of an uphill job, done with precision and taste To find the costume Mishin's team spent weeks in the libraries, and the music was specially ordered to Edvin Marton (a medley of Nizhinsky's ballets) . As to presentaiton, Zhenia is a perfectionist if there ever was one. His latest interview in the Russian magazine "HELLO" is headed "I'm trying to be perfect on and off ice"... And perfect he is, even if this makes some people unhappy with the fact..
Thank you again
libra - from Russia, with love

Regarding the "Yagudin clone" statement. It is quite common and even practical to follow in the footsteps of a mentor. An through that one develops his own unique style.

Joe

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Hi Libra 1!

First of all, thanks for answering my question about the correct spelling of Evgeni's name in English, and since I'm pretty fond of him now, I'm going to start calling him Zhenia:)

As soon as you find that video of Zhenia's Nijinsky at Nats, PLEASE do let us know--and thanks for your friendly, interesting, and enjoyable posts!

Best,
Sarah

p.s. any idea what program he's planning for 2004-2005---sooooo exciting to start thinking about it!:love:

Ximena

Final Flight
Plushenko RN performance used to be in this page www.kingonice.com but because of bandwith problems the whole audio&video section had to eb removed until next month, after that I'm sure they will put that performance again. It was an awesome program, really really good.

As for Plush program next season, Mishin is very known to keep top secret their programs until the very last moment, but Plush mentioned that Edwin might do his FP again next season but this time, a piece for him and not an arrangment, but then again last season Plush said that Korniluk was supposed to do his short program and that didn't happen.

As for Joubert, I have to say that he only needs time and he will be a very very good skater, he has the technique and as a lot of you mentioned, he is quite young, he is 19 right? he has plenty of time. He can't be compared to Evgeni's achievement at that age because Evgeni, as well as Alexei, are exception to all rule.

I think we should all be pleased on how good the men competition is going to be next year.

curious

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Regarding the "Yagudin clone" statement. It is quite common and even practical to follow in the footsteps of a mentor. An through that one develops his own unique style.

Joe

yes,but not sounding like yags. joubert latest imitation of yags in his recent french interview I read at aydg saying that he is his only rival sounds very familiar:laugh:

RussianBolero

Rinkside
@libra: Thanks for the information on Nijinsky program and I would love to see the video from RN if it ever becomes available.

yes,but not sounding like yags. joubert latest imitation of yags in his recent french interview I read at aydg saying that he is his only rival sounds very familiar
Do you happen to have a link to the Joubert interview (the French version)? Not as a challenge, just because I'm collecting interviews of Joubert in French...and I'd be interested to read it in his own words. Was he saying that he (Joubert) himself is his only rival?

I must say I've been impressed so far with Joubert's interviews in which he analyzes his own performances (and sometimes those of others). He seems very level headed and analytical. It's interesting to read what actually goes on in a skater's mind. I applaud him for his ability to speak his mind.

If he did say he (himself) is his only rival, I think that's a great attitude for a competitor to have...I read somewhere someone who criticized Johnny Weir for crying after his Worlds Lp because "he only came in 5th" (or whatever place he was in)...when obviously Johnny was competing against his own past performances (and possibly old demons) and was very pleased with his results, regardless of what the other skaters did.

I'm not sure this is a Yagudin imitiation; I'm sure that this healthy attitude is recommended by sports psychs everywhere. I'm sure it helps him (Joubert) stay focused instead of worrying about others.

PS: I think I confused my quotes and whom I was replying to, and for this I apologize. I hope it makes sense.

Last edited:

RussianBolero

Rinkside
As to presentaiton, Zhenia is a perfectionist if there ever was one. His latest interview in the Russian magazine "HELLO" is headed "I'm trying to be perfect on and off ice"... And perfect he is, even if this makes some people unhappy with the fact..
Thank you again
libra - from Russia, with love [/B]
I love Zhenya's style on the ice...I think the problem that some people had with the poses was that this is skating, not ballet, but I had no problem with it personally.

I'm a little concerned if he really is trying to be perfect, both on and off ice...nobody's perfect. He's really, really good, though.

RussianBolero

Rinkside
Ximena said:
I think we should all be pleased on how good the men competition is going to be next year.
Amen to that!

After Yagudin retired from eligibles, I was worried that Plush would have no competition. I am very, very pleased that I was completely wrong!

I am one of those strange people who prefers men's singles skating to all other disciplines...

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I also prefer men's discipline to the others, but I don't think there's anything strange about that LOL In the last few years it's definitely the discipline that has offered fans better programs, better combination of technique and artistry and also more exciting competitions.

Here is the link for Joubert's interview, it was posted at AYDG.

http://www.leprogres.fr/sports/omnisports/314979.html

Clearly a skater saying that they are their only rivals has nothing to do with imitating other skaters. Is in fact a very healthy attitude towards their work. Yagudin's skating changed the moment he stopped focusing on beating Plushenko, Kwan is known for focusing on her own performances... it's a mentality of a champion, not just from a particular skater. This is not to say they don't care about what their rivals do on the ice, I'm sure they must be looking at their progresses as well, but when the main focus stops being the rival and becomes your own performances, I think there are greater chances you improve.

RussianBolero

Rinkside
It's nice to meet others who enjoy men's skating...there seem to be so many who prefer women's that sometimes it's hard to find people to talk to. :)

Thank you for the link to the Joubert interview. I always find them interesting and informative.

Clearly a skater saying that they are their only rivals has nothing to do with imitating other skaters. Is in fact a very healthy attitude towards their work. Yagudin's skating changed the moment he stopped focusing on beating Plushenko, Kwan is known for focusing on her own performances... it's a mentality of a champion, not just from a particular skater. This is not to say they don't care about what their rivals do on the ice, I'm sure they must be looking at their progresses as well, but when the main focus stops being the rival and becomes your own performances, I think there are greater chances you improve.
Well said! Thank you!