Kwan not ready to rule out next Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kwan not ready to rule out next Olympics

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:clap: Woo hoo!!! So selfishly excited right now... This the best Kwan news in a looonnnggg time...

I assumed she'd make another run at her national title next year, but never thought she was still talking the olympic talk... now that's interesting... unless it was just a ploy to up ticket sales to COI...

Regardless, I'm glad she's on the ice & thinking positive. As a great champion and ambassidor of the sport, she deserves no less and probably a lot more.:bow: :bow:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I'm just curious -- how many people do you know who make definitive plans four years in advance?
Everyone whose been on a job interview recently. "And where do you see yourself five years from now?"

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
hockeyfan228 said:
Everyone whose been on a job interview recently. "And where do you see yourself five years from now?"

These answers are definitive?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
These answers are definitive?

If they were, I'd be heading up a major sports marketing company now along with managing an area... thank goodness employers don't have a view into the five year future prior to offering a job...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Still, I have mixed feelings about this. (Michelle never listens to my advice, LOL, but), to me, Michelle is in a position to really have an impact on the sport.

Olympic medalists come and go, so what? It's what skaters do after their eligible careers are over that separate the greats from the forgottens.

Scott Hamilton won many awards for skating, but what was of lasting importance is that his celebrity as an athlete gave him the opportunity to star as a producer and entrepreneur. Singlehandedly he created a new kind of skating show, SOI, which has entertained millions and provided long term employment in the sport for many athletes.

I wish Michelle would turn her attention to something truly creative and original along these lines. Maybe building her own skating facility is a start in that direction.

To me, there are lots of skating champions, but only one Michelle. Now I hope she will pick up the ball and run with it.

JMO.

MM :)

I doubt many agree, but I will say ITA to all of that. You want the pro world to be revitalized... how can you do that when no one of real star power has gone pro (and stayed!!) since 98???? Michelle could be the next Scott Hamilton/Brian Boitano (gotta give White Canvas SOME credit, yes?) and take the pro world to the next and even more exciting level. :clap:

tarotx

On the Ice
I always figured Michelle would take it one year at a time again these 4 years. Winning Nationals every year (and having the goods to do so) must be the biggest high. And no matter what she says that Olympic gold has been her dream as a competitor since she was a young girl. It's what she wants. She should go from her dreams.

I personally love going to see show skating a little better then I do sitting at a competition. I love the energy and comradely that radiates from a show more then the tension and waiting of an eligible competition. Of course I love that stuff too (especially watching on tv-shows don't translate as well as competitions do) but I think the shows are going to be non-existent in a few years. I think Michelle could save them. Of course that isn't her job. She only has to worry about what makes her happy. I want Michelle happy so whatever her decision it’ll be nice seeing her skating again.

Michelle has been inconsistent since 2004 because she's had a hip injury since then. Recurring chronic pain and weakness can make even a Michelle not perfect. I think she could do wonderful things as a pro skater and for pro skating but she can’t let that affect her decision. She does have to worry about her legacy, so she has to make sure she can be competitive. We know she enjoys skating but after you have Michelle’s record you can’t get a way with being an Amber Corwin. I think that is the only only only reason she hasn’t committed to at least next season yet.

Last edited:
attyfan said:
I'm just curious -- how many people do you know who make definitive plans four years in advance?
I took Kerryfan's post to mean, "I think SHE (Michelle) should be the one to decide her future, not us."

rob43

On the Ice
I think the problem for Kwan is that she enjoys competitive skating. If she only wanted to tour, she could have gone that route with no problem. And if she were truly interested in doing more artiistic skating specials, she has an ABC contract, a good manager, working relationships with about 5 choreographers and Brian Boitano for a BFF- that opportunity is there and I simply don't think it interests her.

I think she enjoys the whole process in regards to amateur comps- combining athletic, artistry, training, competition. If she wants to make it to 10 I think she'll need either medical intervention or a year of rest at some point. I think she wouls actually be happier in the hunt of amateur comps than the 'queen' of a weak pro field.

Like everything else- we'll see how the 'ifs' play out because she does have a lot of opportunity and sooner or later that rink will get a little old.

Lonewolf

On the Ice
I think that as long as Michelle stays physically fit, she should try for the 2010 Olympics. However, I think the one day at a time attitude is a good way to stay grounded in the present.

Alsace

On the Ice
rob43 said:
If she wants to make it to 10 I think she'll need either medical intervention or a year of rest at some point.

It's that "year of rest" that I think can kill a lot of dreams. She cannot actually rest physically, she has to keep most of her body in shape (the exception is the injured portion). Those gymnasts who go through injuries just months before the Olympic games (Bart Connor and Brent Wilson) didn't just rest; they rehabilitated intensely.

If you meant a year of rest from competition, perhaps that would work better.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
She needs the redimption

Plus the Irina pressure, if she (Ira) is considering with a ill heart, pour circulation and a Mom on the "iffy" status....well yes it's time for MK to save a little face.:clap:

That would have been a bad way to end it.:yes: :thumbsup:

If she serious about competing then she must do the GPs, or give another US lady the oportunity to compete seriously.

Otherwise, it'll be more of the same old tune: "One Day At A Time". Show up at the US Nats, go on to the Worlds, and be sure to make money in between with the Campbells and Marshalls. Sorry to say that, but do you really think she will be different this year?

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Joesitz said:
If she serious about competing then she must do the GPs, or give another US lady the oportunity to compete seriously.

Otherwise, it'll be more of the same old tune: "One Day At A Time". Show up at the US Nats, go on to the Worlds, and be sure to make money in between with the Campbells and Marshalls. Sorry to say that, but do you really think she will be different this year?

Joe

Can she do the GP this year? Normally, she would have to do regionals and sectionals to get to Nats, since she doesn't have an automatic bye, isn't that right? I believe that the USFSA could invite her to SA for the host country's "third spot", but could she get a competition bye out of regionals into sectionals, when she can't get a competition bye out of sectionals to Nats (at least, she couldn't get a second GP event, since her World ranking is low and she isn't seeded)

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
It's a very exciting prospect but I wonder if her body can keep up. She'll be 29 at the next Olympics. For this sport that's quite old. Even when in top form she could barely do a Triple Toe-Triple Toe combination. I would be hurt watching her not be able to keep up with the jumps for the next 4 years.

That said, it would be glorious if she stayed and performed well.

kyla2

Final Flight
Michelle

ITA with NyMKF's last post completely. This is great news. Sounds like she hasn't called it quits yet. We can only hope that she gets well enough to give everyone a run for their money.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Best news I heard from Michelle this year, good for her. I for one will
be happy to see her compete next season.

heyang

Record Breaker
Nothing wrong with a wait and see approach. In 1994, many former champions and former Olympians returned to eligible competition. Browning, Petrenko and Boitano were somewhat disappointing. G/G and M/D ended up in the 2 top spots. Witt went as part of the experience - she did not think she would win - just wanted to enjoy the experience for the 3rd time because the opportunity came up.

As long as Kwan or any of the other ladies compete for their spot on the podium, it's fair. That's all it takes. I think a young up and comer would rather beat a more experienced field as opposed to only winning over people at their level. It's part of the reason why most teams would rather beat the Yankees in a World Series over any other team!

Pau-goodle76

Rinkside
Michelle, Irina and any other skater can do whatever they want in regards to competing 4 more years, 2 more years or even just 1 more year. If they want to do it let 'em do it!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
ISU 28 - 70 comps group

Does this mean once you reach a certain age you don't HAVE TO go into the different classification?:scratch: