Ladies' SP | Page 74 | Golden Skate

Ladies' SP

I am flabbergasted that a poster thinks Kim hasn't earned her spot on top of the podium.

Here's her history:

JGPF Champion 2006...

I am not sure what Yu-na's placement at the junior grand prix final in 2006, etc., etc., etc., etc. have to do with whether her performance last night deserved big points. :scratch:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not sure what Yu-na's placement at the junior grand prix final in 2006, etc., etc., etc., etc. have to do with whether her performance last night deserved big points. :scratch:

The point is that Yu-Na's skating skills have been rewarded with top placements and medals right from the get-go. She is an exceptionally talented skater. Her performance last night was just another example of her athletic abilities and elegance. She is also remarkably consistent.

Joannie is a fine skater, but she doesn't have the same effortless jumps, ease of movement and gorgeous body line that Yu-Na does, and at 24, Joannie is about as good as she's ever going to be. And unfortunately, you never know what Joannie is going to deliver when she steps out on the ice. At her best, she's very, very good. When she's not at her best, watching her can be painful.

aurora100

Final Flight
yes, that poster sounds both biased and immature, and lacking in compassion. I have skated and watched it since Peggy Flemming won gold. Joannie is a mature, elegant skater. Skating always has a darling and is full of hype. YUNA has hardly earned her stripes. She needs another 3 years of skating to be truly polished. She is overscored period. Beautiful skating lines? edges? spins? watch in slow mo. Arm and hand positions> Look at Joannie. BTW there is no comparison between skaters like Sasha, Alyssa, and YUNA. If Alyssa landed her jumps she would be unbeatable. I am not canadian, nor asian and was a very skinny small boned but tall girl. I do not want FS to become the sport that only immature asian bodies can do well in. If that sounds racist it isn't. I< like Dick Button want a Ladies champion that can be of any body type and still win. YUNA is cute, not georgeously beautiful like a Flemming or Hammil or Kira. I am impressed with her but don't think she deserves the 5-10 point leads they give her. if she falls on the flip, they will still give her the gold I'm afraid. That said, could she do what Rochette did last night? NO. She has not the maturity nor experience.

As an American, I thought JO Ro had it all from the beginning. Mirai is adorable and very good. Flatt so dependable and potentially very good. I wish them well. I am glad the world is on Joannie's side. She will need it. I'm praying she does not fall/fall apart Thursday. Sadly, while she had a good skate, it would have been a great skate under better circumstances. Her musicality sets her apart as well.

Wow, this is one nasty post.

qazwsx

Rinkside
yes, that poster sounds both biased and immature, and lacking in compassion. I have skated and watched it since Peggy Flemming won gold. Joannie is a mature, elegant skater. Skating always has a darling and is full of hype. YUNA has hardly earned her stripes. She needs another 3 years of skating to be truly polished. She is overscored period. Beautiful skating lines? edges? spins? watch in slow mo. Arm and hand positions> Look at Joannie. BTW there is no comparison between skaters like Sasha, Alyssa, and YUNA. If Alyssa landed her jumps she would be unbeatable. I am not canadian, nor asian and was a very skinny small boned but tall girl. I do not want FS to become the sport that only immature asian bodies can do well in. If that sounds racist it isn't. I< like Dick Button want a Ladies champion that can be of any body type and still win. YUNA is cute, not georgeously beautiful like a Flemming or Hammil or Kira. I am impressed with her but don't think she deserves the 5-10 point leads they give her. if she falls on the flip, they will still give her the gold I'm afraid. That said, could she do what Rochette did last night? NO. She has not the maturity nor experience.

if you are offended by "biased and immature" posts, maybe try not to do the same? saying you are not racist doesn't automatically make it not racist, unfortunately your comparing yuna to a bunch of white girls and saying she's worse than them doesn't help, it's such a personal taste issue. and, yes, yuna cannot do what Jo Ro did, and Jo Ro cannot do what yuna did. so..?

CassieH

Rinkside
I don't think I'm alone in this but I think Yuma's program last night was very lackluster. I've seen her do this program before and it sparkled; not last night. She was slow and somewht detached. Her spins are slow and her spiral is terrible. Now, I sound like I don't like her skating but I do. I just find that she is not the "be all end all" phenomenon that she is tounted to be. In comparing the overall performance with Mao: I find Mao to be more graceful, and musical (with the music beat) and her spirals are to die for. She does not get credit for what she does in ccomparison to Yuna.

did you say yuna was slow last night? wow... how did you watch Mao's skating then? Mao is REALLY SLOW. I saw her at the wc last year and her spiral was just meh......
And you must see [Kim Yu-Na and Mao Asada Head-to-Head] which is a video on NBC website. Yuna's spin was definitely faster than Mao.

M

mylastduchess

did you say yuna was slow last night? wow... how did you watch Mao's skating then? Mao is REALLY SLOW. I saw her at the wc last year and her spiral was just meh......
And you must see [Kim Yu-Na and Mao Asada Head-to-Head] which is a video on NBC website. Yuna's spin was definitely faster than Mao.

and if Mao's spiral was just meh... then what do you call Yu-na's spiral really meh?

cosmos

On the Ice
Yes, I think she did. Don't forget scores were inflated overall.

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside
I am totally surprised there are two American girls in the Final Group. Who would have believed that?

I'm not surprised at all. Flatt was top 5 at worlds last year and is pretty consistent if not spectacular. You only need to watch Mirai to be able to tell she's got the "it" factor. Her edge and UR issues are improving with each competition. It's only a matter of time before the jumps catch up to her spins, spirals, speed, extension, etc. I'm just surprised the judges don't give her higher PCS. Perhaps the more they see her the more likely they'll give her higher PCS rather than some of the sloppy unrefined skaters.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
A few odd questions /points from my FS puzzle collection :

Miki did recieve a negative GOE (IIRC,-.60) on that second ur'd jump. Would that give her much more than if scored as a clear UR ? And would that be a case of the judges catching it even if the Tech didn't call it? ( Looking for illumination.):unsure:

Johnn - I've never been one who thinks that a skater needs to exactly portray the story behind a piece of music. Even so, I agree that Mao's program is somewhat off.The music itself has an obsessive feel to it. There's a sense of foreboding to it as if the person caught up in it would escape it if they could. For me , it evokes all the stories / folk tales about people having to dance until they drop or die . It may be more lyrical than Bells of Moscow , but it's another very heavy piece of music. I think they're both poor choices for Mao . I feel she's weighed down by them.

I know how important it is for skaters to have a boot that is 'right' for them , but I wish Yuna (and the younger Korean girl ) could change to a boot that was more conducive to a pointed toe.Their boots are very flat in the arch and have a heavy rounded toe , making it very difficult to achieve a pointed toe look , even if the skater's turnout is really good.:think:

CassieH

Rinkside
and if Mao's spiral was just meh... then what do you call Yu-na's spiral really meh?

Yuna's spiral was fast and had great ice coverage. And I think her position was just fine enough to get the level she earned. Well, I prefer speedy program and that's why I like Yuna, Caro, and Mirai.

aarts132

Spectator
I really enjoyed ladies' short programs all they were really great!
I'm just sick and tired of all the conspiracy theories and yuna/mao fans' dissing each other..
Calm down and stop bitching...it's just so disgusting...

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
I really enjoyed ladies' short programs all they were really great!
I'm just sick and tired of all the conspiracy theories and yuna/mao fans' dissing each other..
Calm down and stop bitching...it's just so disgusting...

But you know this will never end ;)

ordinary person

On the Ice
Just between rachael Flatt and Miki Ando,even if they both should have been downgraded,Miki still had the most flaws,Rachael did not.

taaak

Rinkside
Elene Gedevanishivilli wuz robbed!
She performed 3-3, did wonderful spirals, nailed her spins.
Engaged the crowed with her musicality and expressions.
A 62 for such performance is beyond my words.
I am shattered. :disapp:

:disapp:

shine

Record Breaker
The point is that Yu-Na's skating skills have been rewarded with top placements and medals right from the get-go. She is an exceptionally talented skater. Her performance last night was just another example of her athletic abilities and elegance. She is also remarkably consistent.

Joannie is a fine skater, but she doesn't have the same effortless jumps, ease of movement and gorgeous body line that Yu-Na does, and at 24, Joannie is about as good as she's ever going to be. And unfortunately, you never know what Joannie is going to deliver when she steps out on the ice. At her best, she's very, very good. When she's not at her best, watching her can be painful.

Yuna's "gorgeous" body line has more to do with her natural body shape than her making the best use of it. I've seen skaters with way better extension even if they aren't gifted with the same kind of frail body and long limbs. Actually, I think Joannie has better extension than Yuna. Unfortunately it doesn't come across as well because she is just not as flexible and doesn't have Yuna's body type, which is a much more preferred body type for figure skating.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I can say with confidence that Korea loves Yuna enough to forgive her even if she doesn't win gold - they'll be disappointed, but they will appreciate everything she's done for the country so far (she put Korea in the figure skating map) and they'll just let it slip because they love her so much (they may blame judges or whoever else in the process). Some of Korea's love for Yuna has something to do with the fact that so many people discovered the delight of figure skating for the first time through Yuna - that's not something Mao can say. I can't say with confidence that Japan will forgive Mao if she doesn't skate perfectly like she did today. I may be biased, but I can't forget how cruel Japanese were to Miki after Torino - I've never seen any country turn its back to their own athlete like that (even though the athelete didn't do anything wrong). Again, these are just my observations + opinion.

Actually, without the OGM Yu-Na might lose up to 8 million dollars in endorsements... of course those are companies and not the general public, but that is a lot to lose.

Barb

Record Breaker
I am the only one that find ridiculous the little consistence in scores in all competitions?:sheesh: I mean if I ask for yuna inflated scores, people tell me just looks the protocol, that it is obvious and clear, well if it is so clear why the judges cant decide the scores?, is obvious that yunas sp of the oly is not better than her sp world 09, teb or SA, but it doesnt matter because she always get more and more points, its not just the oly, each new comp is a new record:unsure:. Why dont give to Mao 70 and 75 for yuna,? it just do look ridiculous the system and the "sport" and less objetive of course.

I want share some points, because I dont understand some people
-Mao doesnt do nothing before or after her 3a2t because is difficult comb, like yunas 3-3, yuna doesnt nothing before or after her 3-3 and I dont blame her.
-Mao take her time for prepare her 3a2t, same like yuna take her time for prepare her 3-3
-2t or 2lo of Mao looks tiny, but yunas 2jumps too, and the judges even gave her hughes pos goes
-Mao fans talk a lot of maos 3a just like yuna fans talk a lot about her 3-3
-in points the 3a2t is equivalent to 3f-3t more less (same like yuna), her second 3a is equivalent to 3lutz(yuna has a lutz), Mao doesnt have 3sal but yuna doesnt have 3loop, then the argument about Mao being less technically because she just has 3a and doesnt have 3-3 or 3sal is stupid
-Mao was slow before, but not anymore, she is not so fast like yuna but she is not slow, however in this comp yuna was not so fast like always
-Maos spirals had improved a lot, she is not slow and she has a good edge change with very much stability, same her spins but mao has better positions.
-Yuna is faster in her footwork because is easier.
-when judges gave this ridiculous scores to Yuna her fans just say that the judges are experts and they know all, but when the judges gave edge calls or ur, then the judges dont know nothing , what a convenient
-Absolutly all that yuna does is exagerated for other persons, all, she to blink and all people are like wow look at how she blink:sheesh:, if yuna would had good positions, I bet that it would be a important thing in the scores. When Mao does something good is just ok, but when is yuna then come all the hype:disapp:

sorry my english

Last edited: