Let the Competition and Complaining Begin! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Let the Competition and Complaining Begin!

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joubert has worked very hard on his spins the last few years, and while he will never be the best spinner, he is more than adequate now, and got high levels on most of them at Euros. I personally like his footwork, though I realize this is subjective. He has had problems with the levels there because he doesn't seem to like upper body movement, at least not enough of it. Personally, I share this view :laugh:.

Buttercup you know all of my opinions about Joubert's macho breast beating about the quad so i won't air them again :p ;) The one thing i do like about Joubert's footwork is his mostly upright posture and no stupid windmill arms. It's sad that you need that spastic movement if the upper body to get higher levels because i've always valued posture in skating and in the footwork Brian's is great (are you shocked that i complimented him?!).

But you have to admit - the "running" motions at the end of the circular step sequence in the SP look ridiculous and he's definitely used that before in a step sequence! It makes me laugh every time i see it. I also burst out laughing at what I thought were Yag's ridiculous "toe picky picky" steps in winter so make of that what you will!

ETA: Why on earth did Chan feel compelled to extend his criticism to Alexei Yagudin, of all people?
That is beyond ridiculous.

I fear he'll get himself into too much trouble criticising Yagudin. Joubert is fair game because he's done his fair amount of trash talking - if you can give it you can take it, but to open fire on the universally loved Yagudin is suicide, especially when he's not proved himself yet on the world stage. He'll make no friends doing that, or classlessly and unnecessairly "defending" Buttle who always handled himself perfectly in front of the media.

Ant

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
I fear he'll get himself into too much trouble criticising Yagudin. Joubert is fair game because he's done his fair amount of trash talking - if you can give it you can take it, but to open fire on the universally loved Yagudin is suicide, especially when he's not proved himself yet on the world stage. He'll make no friends doing that, or classlessly and unnecessairly "defending" Buttle who always handled himself perfectly in front of the media.

ITA. Although I was amused by Patrick's comments re: Joubert I thought it was a bit too much for Patrick to comment like that on Yagudin. It's a bit foolish to compare programs from other eras, especially between CoP and 6.0. What's next, is he going to critique Sonja Henie's 3 Olympics golds for not having any triple jumps?

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m finding it HARD to believe that!:cool:
I thought he had unique style windmill and stuff!Now you say me he is not THE only one?:unsure:
After reading what G/P said, i will expect to see Plush à la Weir + netheralnd hands!:p

antmanb

Record Breaker
I m finding it HARD to believe that!:cool:
I thought he had unique style windmill and stuff!Now you say me he is not THE only one?:unsure:
After reading what G/P said, i will expect to see Plush à la Weir + netheralnd hands!:p

I have specifically talked and Plush's arms as "flailing" never "windmill"!! There is a subtle difference :p and i'm forgetting the male skater that literally has made windmills with his arms during step sequences. Plush's arms were never that stiff or rigid - the reasno i use "flailing" for him was because his arm movements wer much more random...i'm not sure i'm even making sense!

Ant

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Does anyone give him money and ask him to spice up competitions a bit so that more tickets or whatever can be sold or TV ratings can be higher?

Hey, someone's gotta do the rivalry now that Evan and Johnny are shirking their duties there!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Plush's arms were never that stiff or rigid - the reasno i use "flailing" for him was because his arm movements wer much more random...i'm not sure i'm even making sense!

Ant

no you dont :p
but i ll take it as a plushy compliment:clap:

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
HMMMMM.....last year Buttle, this year Chan....perhaps Canadian male figure skaters and Joubert don't like each other!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

rosee

On the Ice
I really don't like this remark. It is out of line. I don't think Chan knows Joubert well enough to judge his "personality."

ITA. Does he knows Joubert personally to say such a thing?

You don't talk behind people's backs like he did at worlds," Chan said.

WTH? I think that if there's one thing about Joubert, it's that he doesn't talk behind people's back. He says openly (too openly IMO) what he thinks. He didn't whisper behind Buttle's back at worlds. He spoke about his opinion right in front of Buttle at the press conference.

antmanb

Record Breaker
no you dont :p
but i ll take it as a plushy compliment:clap:

Take it as a back-handed complimented to Plush! Many skaters have over teh top arm movements in their footwork sequences to get the higher levels - his were not as bad as most :rofl: :rofl: ;)

Ant :)

jennylovskt

Medalist
I am afraid that Chan's comments about Joubert this way didn't do Chan any good. Does that mean that Chan will never have a quad in competition ever? Is that because he knows that, so he started this personal attacks now? One has to wonder.

Personally, I'd like male skaters to have a quad and everything - don't start to attack our beloved Alexei Yagudin, Chan!:laugh:. That is a high level sport, with artistry mixed with the sport. That perspective made this sport unique and attractive. Without pushing the athletic side of this sport, it would be just a performance, similar to the pro performances which are, to me, much less grabbing.

I like both Chan and Joubert. I was never a complete Joubert fan, and never will. But at this moment, I am with Joubert. I would rather Chan shut up and skate. Skating fans would like him more.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Take it as a back-handed complimented to Plush! Many skaters have over teh top arm movements in their footwork sequences to get the higher levels - his were not as bad as most :rofl: :rofl: ;)Ant :)

beeeeeee carefull ... you might end up liking him :p
I would rather Chan shut up and skate

Lol, i thought the same!It goes to anyone with declarations about rivals just before and after games!

i love to skate

Medalist
I like both Chan and Joubert. I was never a complete Joubert fan, and never will. But at this moment, I am with Joubert. I would rather Chan shut up and skate. Skating fans would like him more.

Well considering the backlash is already in full force and many skating fans have said they don't like Chan because many people are "over the top fans" I doubt people would like him more if he didn't say anything. It makes the event that much more interesting and adds some fire. Skaters don't always have to be "nice" all the time. I think it's great. If Joubert can't take it back, don't dish it out in the first place!

Medusa

Record Breaker
WTH? I think that if there's one thing about Joubert, it's that he doesn't talk behind people's back. He says openly (too openly IMO) what he thinks. He didn't whisper behind Buttle's back at worlds. He spoke about his opinion right in front of Buttle at the press conference.
That really made me "huh?" too. I mean the problem was that Joubert said what he was thinking, at a press conference, directly in front of the newly crowned World Champion, "diminishing" Buttle's moment according to most NA-figure skating fans. There was no behind the back.

And I also don't get the personal angle, the "I don't like his personality" from Chan. I sincerely believe that Joubert is a flawed person, just like we all are. But I can't remember him being that personal towards Buttle last year, or other skaters - and he has had a heated rivalry with Lambiel for years.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Well considering the backlash is already in full force and many skating fans have said they don't like Chan because many people are "over the top fans" I doubt people would like him more if he didn't say anything. It makes the event that much more interesting and adds some fire. Skaters don't always have to be "nice" all the time. I think it's great. If Joubert can't take it back, don't dish it out in the first place!

Actually I haven't seen any over the top fans anywhere on this forum. Have you? I just roll my eyes every time Chan critics bring up the so-called "over the top fans."

i love to skate

Medalist
Actually I haven't seen any over the top fans anywhere on this forum. Have you? I just roll my eyes every time Chan critics bring up the so-called "over the top fans."

No I haven't really seen any but people have been mentioning their existence for quite awhile now. I roll my eyes as well :laugh:

skatingbc

Final Flight
Chan even took a shot at 2002 Olympic champion Alexei Yagudin when he said: "He didn't do anything compared to what we're doing. Our footwork today is pretty much a program. You're pretty near pooped after the footwork."

But Chan was saying that not as an insult to Yagudin but to suggest Joubert has been left behind in that area and it's not right for him to criticize people who are bringing stuff to the sport that he doesn't do.

I don't think that Chan was trying to insult Yagudin. The programs of 6.0 had little to no connecting steps between elements. Footwork was kept to a minimum. It was entertaining, but difficult? Not so much. Sure they didn't need to do difficult footwork, but I don't think Chan was trying to say that he's better than Yagudin because his CoP program has harder footwork.

I also read an interesting perspective on FSU. I can hardly stand to listen to Joubert's whining about quads and quadless skaters. Imagine how the skaters who actually skate with him must feel. Imagine having your peer say you didn't deserve to beat him fair and square because you were missing a quad? Just a thought.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
"The whole interview was witnessed by Canada's high performance director Michael Slipchuk, who unlike some Canadian figure skating people in the past, made no effort to get Chan out of there or step in and suggest he temper his comments.

"It's great," said Slipchuk, who skated with Kurt Browning and has been advocating allowing our skaters to express their personalities since the day he took the job.

"It's honest."

This quote is from the article posted by i love to skate.

Funny when Joubert mouths off he is the bad boy but when Chan does it he is described as being honest. Oh the drama!