Michelle Should Have Won Bronze!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle Should Have Won Bronze!!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
show 42 said:
Aside from placement, Jeff Buttle fell twice and still held on to second. Seems you CAN splat several times and still come up smelling like a rose. (No slam of Jeff's skating, I like his style, just using him as an example.) 42

The matter is though that Jeff´s programme (as well as Kostner´s) is CoP-friendly and Michelle´s isn´t. Michelle (and Sokolova) were held up e.g. in transitions. No way, that Michelle would have deserved a win over Kostner in this competition.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was expecting someone to make a comment such as this, but Barb Underhill said that Michelle avoided the COP judging system for two years and this was a huge mistake on her part. Michelle simply was not prepared for the new system. She was still stuck in the old 6.0 judging mode. One could tell from her skating. I think Michelle was a little overwhelmed by the whole thing. Barb said she looked a bit tense and was not as at home with audience as she is in the US. Michelle should have tired one of the other competitons under the new judging system before heading to the Worlds. Actually, I was surprised that the USFSA still clung to the old judging system at their Nationals instead of using the New COP system. Doing so would have helped a skater like Michelle to take the plunge before Worlds.

indiaskye1

Rinkside
I don't think Michelle Kwan should have won Bronze. In fact, she shouldn't even have been in fourth place. The scores she got were way too high in both the SP and LP ... her programs still look the same way they did several years ago ... back then she was good ... but while all the other skaters have evolved with the sport she seems to be stuck in a rut.

Carolina Kostner is much better than Michelle. They both made mistakes ... however, Carolina's skating skills and overall performance were much better than Michelle's ...

Vanessa

equestrianguy

On the Ice
indiaskye1 said:
I don't think Michelle Kwan should have won Bronze. In fact, she shouldn't even have been in fourth place. The scores she got were way too high in both the SP and LP ... her programs still look the same way they did several years ago ... back then she was good ... but while all the other skaters have evolved with the sport she seems to be stuck in a rut.

Carolina Kostner is much better than Michelle. They both made mistakes ... however, Carolina's skating skills and overall performance were much better than Michelle's ...

Vanessa

If you really look at it Irina still skates the same way she always has..After seeing the competition I think Michelle should have gotten the bronze. Yes, Kostner is a wonderful jumper and has exellent rotation ability, but her presentation is still very premature. Her program just slacked off at the end and she wasn't able to sell her program with choreography and expression. If Michelle would have done better in the QR she would have the bronze. I was very happy for Irina.. I am hoping that Michelle learns from this and comes back next year to steal our hearts again. I believe the passion for skating is there. I was also happy to see Michelle do a 3-2-2 and three combo's. It was great to see...

Kostner is now in the same position that Sarah Hughes was in 2001. The new worlds bronze medallist, heading into the Olympics in her own country. In Turino, teenaged Carolina will no doubt have two triple-triple combinations in her arsonal, as she goes up against the favorite, Irina. Just like Sarah. Who can say what will happen?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
You raise an interesting point Ladskater...

Ladskater said:
Barb said she looked a bit tense and was not as at home with audience as she is in the US. .

I know MK has not competed much outside the US in the last few years. World's last year in Germany, the 2002 GP final in Kitchner, and 2002 World's - don't remember where it was held?? Any others back to 2002?

MK has SUCH a home country fan base (and a LOUD fan base at that). It must seem very different to take the ice in other countries without the crowd roar that she's used to when competing here. Hmmm.... Something else that she might have been a bit rusty on in addition to using World's to debut under COP??

Just a thought..

DG

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Kostner is now in the same position that Sarah Hughes was in 2001. The new worlds bronze medallist, heading into the Olympics in her own country. In Turino, teenaged Carolina will no doubt have two triple-triple combinations in her arsonal, as she goes up against the favorite, Irina. Just like Sarah. Who can say what will happen?

Sarah had nerves of steel. Carolina does not. She has had two consecutive meltdowns at Italian National fer gawd's sake! :rofl:

Don't get me wrong I like Carolina, I really enjoyed her LP. And she doesn't cheat her 3/3s! But she's unlikely to be able to hold it together at the Olympics.

alina

Rinkside
indiaskye1 said:

Vanessa
ITA - I think Michelle Kwan received more points than she really deserved because of her famous name in figure skating and not because of her programs.
I am not a fan of a special lady in figure skating and so I am able to watch the ladies competition objectively and not with fan glasses or national glasses.
It´s a pity what happened with Michelle Kwan. She has the ability to be the best in the world but she didn´t do the preparations, competitions,....with all consequences which would be necessary to do. Her way is turning down, not up.
I hope she´ll be able to stop this trend and show next year that she is a real competitor for olympic gold and not a shadow of herself.

tannisming

Rinkside
No, Kwan should not have been on the podium. In fact she's lucky she came in forth. She HAS been avoiding the CoP. This is not the 6,0 world of skating anymore. Something Kwan and her rabid fans just don't get. You would think after loosing to Sasha twice at Worlds under CoP that this would register. The 3 winners deserved their medals.

Now that I've seen the competition aired on tv....
I'm just glad Irina skated well to get the Gold, I was afraid she'd be totally "held up" by the judges. But she seemed to skate with a lot of energy and fire, I thought it was one of the best times I ever saw her skate for her long program.
I'm glad Sasha pretty much stayed on her feet and got Silver, maybe it'll help boost her confidence, help her consistency.
I'm kind of on-the-fence about the Bronze. Michelle uncharacteristicly fell thoughout the competition and only seemed to skate with her usual "fire" in parts of her programs. Carolina definitely did not have the more refined and mature look of Michelle, but she did do more jumps. I DO think it was a mistake for Michelle to not skate in any of the GP events to get experience with the new CoP judging system.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I think everyone needs to think about what your saying. We can all say what Michelle needs to do or should have done, BUT give this young woman credit here. I think she knows exactly what she is doing. HELLO!!!!! She is the most decorated figure skater in history. How many skaters have had her longevity!?! Before you all crucify her ending or what she needs to do I think you need to remember who you are talking about. Take a reality check!! lol IMHO

katherine2001

On the Ice
equestrianguy said:
I think everyone needs to think about what your saying. We can all say what Michelle needs to do or should have done, BUT give this young woman credit here. I think she knows exactly what she is doing. HELLO!!!!! She is the most decorated figure skater in history. How many skaters have had her longevity!?! Before you all crucify her ending or what she needs to do I think you need to remember who you are talking about. Take a reality check!! lol IMHO

So she's infallible and has nothing to learn? I don't think so and I doubt that she does either!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
equestrianguy said:

Nobody on this thread said anything to suggest that MK is NOT the most decorated figure skater in recent history, or that a less than stellar (for her, and she's said that!) showing at this World's means she needs to mail all of her previous medals back to the ISU, USFSA, etc. Nobody has said anything evil towards MK personally. Nobody is crucifying her. BECAUSE she is the most decorated skater in recent history, she is also the most widely discussed skater in recent history. (well, I can think of some REALLY long Sasha and Irina threads too LOL!)

I think this is just a healthy debate among FS fans about what happened, and opinions as to why, and opinions about her placement, etc.

If I said "I think Shiz may have choked a little bit - maybe it's the pressure of coming in as last years champ" I doubt anyone would come out saying I was trying to crucify Shiz, or take away from her previous accomplishments. (and I love her skating as well as MK's by the way)

These are just opinions.

DG

brad640

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
Had Michelle not fallen on the 3sal she would have easily beaten Carolina.

I agree and what is worse for Michelle is that she gave the impression that she is losing or has already lost her edge jumps. First she has not done a 3loop all season and second she missed the 3sal in QR and LP. This sends a message that she is declining in her ability and that her time is past. I agree with those who have pointed out that Irina is older than Michelle and gave her strongest ever performance. Hopefully Michelle has taken motivation to stop the regression and improve.

alina

Rinkside
equestrianguy said:
You are right : she is the most decorated figure skater in HISTORY - that´s HISTORY - but now is now and my reality check comes to the result: she has to
change several things so that she doesn´t belong to history but will have a chance at the olympics next year.

soogar

Record Breaker
StillBlueLake said:
Sarah had nerves of steel. Carolina does not. She has had two consecutive meltdowns at Italian National fer gawd's sake! :rofl:

Don't get me wrong I like Carolina, I really enjoyed her LP. And she doesn't cheat her 3/3s! But she's unlikely to be able to hold it together at the Olympics.

I wouldn't put Sarah in the nerves of steel category considering the way she flubbed her SP in SLC. Plus Sarah never won a title where she was the favorite going in. The only US skater with nerves of steel was Tara Lipinski. Also give Carolina props for being a head taller than her fellow podium mates and being able to fully rotate her 3-3-2 combo.

Maybe the best strategy for Michelle would have been to just skate her usual program and not worry about upgrading her spins etc. She could have skated Campbell's Bolero and landed her normal 6 triples and the judges would have given her high PCS scores that would have easily landed her on the podium (maybe even won her the whole thing).

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
You are right : she is the most decorated figure skater in HISTORY - that´s HISTORY - but now is now and my reality check comes to the result: she has to
change several things so that she doesn´t belong to history but will have a chance at the olympics next year.

Nationals was just a couple of months ago........that's history. Heck, everything that's happened the moment it happens is "History"..... :rofl:

One last note from me.........I am suspect of anyone who criticizes the same skater over and over again, not slams but criticizes, and then says......."but I really like his or her skating" . It reminds me of a poster we had here a few years ago who did the same thing..................... ;) 42

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
show 42 said:
I am suspect of anyone who criticizes the same skater over and over again, not slams but criticizes, and then says......."but I really like his or her skating" . It reminds me of a poster we had here a few years ago who did the same thing..................... ;) 42

What exactly does this make a person suspect of? Just curious...

Count me in as a person who has enjoyed MK's skating for years. My opinion is that she has made some choices over the last couple years in terms of her competitive strategy that have not panned out as MK had hoped. And I've been open about stating my opinion. So I guess my real question is what am I suspect of??

DG

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
tannisming said:
No, Kwan should not have been on the podium. In fact she's lucky she came in forth. She HAS been avoiding the CoP. This is not the 6,0 world of skating anymore. Something Kwan and her rabid fans just don't get. You would think after loosing to Sasha twice at Worlds under CoP that this would register. The 3 winners deserved their medals.

As a "rabid fan" I'd just like to point out that this is the first year that CoP has been used at Worlds... Further, Sasha didn't beat MK. MK beat MK in the qualifying rounds at both Worlds... That's a matter of record. Not the imaginings of MK and her rabid fans...

As for the bronze, I have no problem at all with her finishing 4th... She missed the podium by less than .5 points and fell on one of her money jumps. Against three skaters who had their best skates ever. That's saying something.

But overall, I think she proved to herself that she can compete under CoP and has the motivation to put in the work for next year... I would assume that when you've been on top for a decade, the motivation has to come from somewhere & I would put money on landing off the podium is probably the kick in the a## she needs.

However, I'm not so sure that the fs historian in Michelle could resist the opportunity to skate at the olympics with Bolero...

Kwanford Wife