Michelle Should Have Won Bronze!! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle Should Have Won Bronze!!

alina

Rinkside
show 42 said:
Nationals was just a couple of months ago........that's history. Heck, everything that's happened the moment it happens is "History"..... :rofl:

One last note from me.........I am suspect of anyone who criticizes the same skater over and over again, not slams but criticizes, and then says......."but I really like his or her skating" . It reminds me of a poster we had here a few years ago who did the same thing..................... ;) 42
For me international competitions count - not nationals.

WOW!

Match Penalty
okay, now that the competion is over can some one post the videos direct in windows media player because I want to compare carolina and michelle. Thank you very much. :) :) :) :) :) :)

jesslily

Final Flight
I doubt Michellle should win the brownz. She did poorly at QR, and her short program does not have the flow and speed to cover the entire ice. Her long program was skated a litttle bit better, but she did not have any edge jump besides an axle, loop was not put in and fell on the salcow. No matter what judging system, the complete skating technique is required. As a world elite competitior, you simply can not just do the toe jumps and slow spins. Working on choreography is necessary, but for Michelle the most important things are to slim down and get all the jumps mastered if she really plans to stay for next year.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
jesslily said:
I Working on choreography is necessary, but for Michelle the most important things are to slim down and get all the jumps mastered if she really plans to stay for next year.

What is it with you & MK's weight? As for getting all the jumps mastered, then I would suggest the same for all the American ladies... Just a thought ;)

Kwanford Wife

tannisming

Rinkside
Most decorated person in 6.0 history you mean. Few months ago or not, that last Nationals they were handing out the 6.0 's like a Kmart blue light special. Thank God for CoP. :rock:

M

Marissaontheice

Michelle lost by less then a point.. she fell thats why she came 4th..if she would not have fallin than she would have came 3rd but she did...

Panther2000

On the Ice
NJSk8Fan said:
Now that I've seen the competition aired on tv....
Michelle uncharacteristicly fell thoughout the competition and only seemed to skate with her usual "fire" in parts of her programs. Carolina definitely did not have the more refined and mature look of Michelle, but she did do more jumps. I DO think it was a mistake for Michelle to not skate in any of the GP events to get experience with the new CoP judging system.

Though, I agree that michelle did not deserve 3rd place. However. Michelle did not fall throughout the competition. She had 1 fall in the LP( which was silly. That 3 Sal is her favorite jump & very easy for her. She had a sasha moment there). Michelle had a Crappy QR where, she doubled or popped jumps. But, she never fall. Her LP was so much better than her QR. She had more fire & speed in her LP. & the Fact the Michelle just missed the podium says that even with her missing out of the season. Had she skated error free in her QR she would have been on the podium. She went from 7th to 4th. Carolina is a great jumper but still lacks real passion when skating. I agree that Michelle should have gotten 4th not 3rd. But, from watching this worlds. Just about everyone had their problems. This was the sloppiest worlds I have ever seen & I have been watching these competitions for decades. The men falling all over the place & the wowen had their problems. Irina & sasha both were very sloppy & sasha fell in her QR & Bobbles & wobbles & such. Both here held up with those sloppy skates.
Frankly, I think that the judges did her a favor by not putting her in 3rd. Her LP was stripped down so much. Dean gave her wonderful moves However with all the new requirements. I think that it was too much for her. So she kept reworking the program until their was almost nothing left. Even she said that she was doing so much counting that she failed to skate. Well, now she can become a Points ***** & Leave some of her soul out of her skating. She will have plenty to think over in the spring & summer months. & maybe get an early start on next season.

Panther2000

On the Ice
equestrianguy said:
I think everyone needs to think about what your saying. We can all say what Michelle needs to do or should have done, BUT give this young woman credit here. I think she knows exactly what she is doing. HELLO!!!!! She is the most decorated figure skater in history. How many skaters have had her longevity!?! Before you all crucify her ending or what she needs to do I think you need to remember who you are talking about. Take a reality check!! lol IMHO

I am a major Michelle fan. However, the only person who got the reailty check was Michelle this time round ( a just miss on the Podium).

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
I'm reading through this thread, and I only get to page two before I become so fed up that I must reply before I finish reading.

For God's sake, enough about her apparent lack of conformation to the new system.

Before this competition there was a lot of talk about how Michelle would not fare well under the new system and her programs were not going to be graded highly. Over at skatingforums.com I predicted level 3 spirals and at least a level 2 footwork, and most everyone disagreed and said she'd get level 1 on both. That didn't happen, and she did recieve some higher level elements. Unfortunately I think a lot of fans don't really understand the new system. I think it might be a lot easier for actual skaters to grasp CoP since it is still in it's infancy. The fact is, that Michelle's final placement really had very little to do with her programs not being CoP friendly. I was skeptical at first too, but then was amazed to see that she actually scored considerably well. Michelle missing the podium was due to her poor skating, not the construction of her programs. Now as contradictory as this sounds, the other side is that if she had higher levels on spins and steps, as well as better choreography and linking movements, she may have been able to offset the falls and other mistakes. Still that wasn't the issue. She doomed herself in the qualifying by skating poorly, not by skating a poorly choreographed anti-CoP program. The fact is that Michelle got third place in the free program despite her mistakes. She didn't even complete her total planned content. She got third in the free skate and short program, so it's almost pointless to argue that Carolina was better. Michelle scored better in those individual portions even when she didn't skate well. And that was what it came down to: not skating well. It's so frustrating to think how many people don't get this system. Hasn't any body heard of "quality not quantity"? Just like the old system, there are lots of ways to achieve a certain result; Michelle is capable of doing choreographically substandard programs really well, because the quality of her skating is so good. Besides, Michelle should have been on the podium and in any other sport she would have been.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Well stated Jeff Goldblum. BTW, loved you in "The Big Chill" ;) .

millie

Medalist
Get over it, she could have, she would have, but she didn't. All the goo goo's and gaa gaa's is not going to put her on the podium. You can make all the excuses in the world for Michelle, but the fact is that she was to sure of herself and didn't work hard enough. Thank the skating gods she was knocked of her pedestal and the podium. This Worlds will give her a reality check.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: These are for Kwanford Wife. I just had to put these in.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
millie said:
Get over it, she could have, she would have, but she didn't. All the goo goo's and gaa gaa's is not going to put her on the podium. You can make all the excuses in the world for Michelle, but the fact is that she was to sure of herself and didn't work hard enough. Thank the skating gods she was knocked of her pedestal and the podium. This Worlds will give her a reality check.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: These are for Kwanford Wife. I just had to put these in.

Alrightly then... Let's get to brass tacks.... Now the other girls are gonna have to deal with a pissed off Michelle Kwan in what most likely be her last competitve skating season... And don't bring the skating gods into this, because karma is a b*%$^ (trust me, I've been there... I will never make another prediction again)

On the other hand... Hmmm... too bad about that one single spot for Canada at the Olympics... But I guess the Canadian National Silver medalist will be able to buy a ticket or watch it on the telly.... :p

See how nastiness gets you nowhere??? ;)

But I will say that you definately tickle me the most! So in the name of North American solidarity... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kwanford Wife

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Way to go Jeff............ :agree:

And Kwanford............... :clap: 42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Maybe Sasha's and Michelle's karma got confused. Michelle played human Zamboni in the LP and Sasha went over the time limit in the SP. :biggrin:

mzheng

Record Breaker
show 42 said:
One last note from me.........I am suspect of anyone who criticizes the same skater over and over again, not slams but criticizes, and then says......."but I really like his or her skating" . It reminds me of a poster we had here a few years ago who did the same thing..................... ;) 42
Another paragraph of wit! :rock:

mzheng

Record Breaker
jeff goldblum said:
I'm reading through this thread, and I only get to page two before I become so fed up that I must reply before I finish reading.

For God's sake, enough about her apparent lack of conformation to the new system.
:agree: Great post Jeff.

tannisming

Rinkside
Oooohh a pissed off Kwan. Run for cover. She might do another 3/2/. Maybe she'll try a Beilman? Nah, she can't do one of those, I forgot about her back problems. Of course Sasha could spend the summer teaching her how to put her leg upside her head and spin really fast. Or Kwan can convince Carolina to slow her skate down to Kwan like speed. Millie, you are right. :)