Op/ed article about Olys, Skate America and the CoP | Golden Skate

Op/ed article about Olys, Skate America and the CoP

This article was widely circulated last week (I read it in three different newspapers including the New York Times). It is from the point of view of the casual fan rather than of the figure skating aficionado.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12972978.htm

"For those under the impression that figure skating exists only two weeks every four years - and even for those who know a lutz from a loofah - the women's final at the Olympics is almost the sole reason for the fuss. The other disciplines, men's, pairs and ice dancing, are each interesting in their own way (except for the ice dancing, naturally), but it is the women who pay the bills and transform the Olympics into something other than a skiing tournament with some odd Scandinavian hobbies thrown into the mix.

"Without Kwan and Cohen, Skate America was regrettably more like Snooze America....

What was left of the women's competition, along with acres of empty seats, can be seen in condensed form Sunday (1 p.m. EDT, ABC) if the NFL games get tedious or if you have a hankering to assess the development of Alissa Czisny and Yoshie Onda.

"Sadly, the most interesting aspect of Skate America was a firsthand study of the sport's arcane new judging system. (And you thought your weekend was a downer.)"

PS. If you don't want to register, click here

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=skate+america&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&start=30

then scroll down about halfway and click on "Is figure skating's new scoring system an improvement?"

Last edited:

CDMM1991

Medalist
Mathman said:
"For those under the impression that figure skating exists only two weeks every four years - and even for those who know a lutz from a loofah - the women's final at the Olympics is almost the sole reason for the fuss. The other disciplines, men's, pairs and ice dancing, are each interesting in their own way (except for the ice dancing, naturally), but it is the women who pay the bills and transform the Olympics into something other than a skiing tournament with some odd Scandinavian hobbies thrown into the mix."

:rofl: :rofl: Is this what the Olympics are coming to? Hahahahaha.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The only real exciting thing about the winter Olympics to me IS the ladies' FS event. But with the "original" Olympics, there's lots of stuff to get excited about. :rock:

Spirit

On the Ice
If we mixed curling and golf we could have a sport with curling irons.

Just apropos of absolutely nothing.

Coach

Rinkside
The writer of this article.... is obviously looking at skating through "tinted glasses". As for myself, I find that every event, in all sports, during the Olympics and any other competition fascinating and I applaud every effort by all athletes!:clap: I especially enjoy the up & coming skaters just as much as the top of the field.:agree:

To: "Mr. Writer, if you don't like our sport... then go ahead and change to the NFL Channel.... there's lots to choose from these days. Secondly, if you don't enjoy our sport.... again, go ahead a commit yourself exclusively to football or anything else besides figure skating.... how about golf?" :boohoo:

Last edited:
My favorite is the biathelon, where the athletes ski across country, then stop and shoot their guns -- honoring the tradition of the Norwegian border guards who used to protect the nation against the marauding Swedes. :rock:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Well, for me, it is Figure Skating the reason (and in Figure Skating it is Lady's). But after I tunned in, I will watch most of them. LOL.

Spirit

On the Ice
Mathman said:
My favorite is the biathelon, where the athletes ski across country, then stop and shoot their guns -- honoring the tradition of the Norwegian border guards who used to protect the nation against the marauding Swedes. :rock:

I didn't know that. Learning new things = good.

I suppose that makes it ironic if a Swede wins?

Nordic combined: combination of ski jumping and cross-country.

Biathlon: combination of cross-country and shooting.

Nordic triathlon: cross-country skiing combined with shooting at a target while flying through the air from a ski jump.

They should just turn the Winter Olympics over to me. I would so rule.

First, we would hold it on the polar ice cap. None of this sissy stuff!

Um.....what was this thread about?

emma

Record Breaker
Spirit said:
I didn't know that. Learning new things = good.

I suppose that makes it ironic if a Swede wins?

Nordic combined: combination of ski jumping and cross-country.

Biathlon: combination of cross-country and shooting.

Nordic triathlon: cross-country skiing combined with shooting at a target while flying through the air from a ski jump.

They should just turn the Winter Olympics over to me. I would so rule.

First, we would hold it on the polar ice cap. None of this sissy stuff!

Um.....what was this thread about?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PS I have noooo idea what the thread is about, but you and MM are funny! :clap:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Spirit,

how about a half-pipe biathlon? the snowboarders could shoot at targets while over the top edge of the half-pipe. extra points for getting two targets in their hang-time!:rock: