2022 Skate America Women's Free Skate | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate America Women's Free Skate

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really happy to see Dr Albright handing out the medals! Back then in the 50s, do you know what kind of jumps the women were mostly doing? Double axels and some triples?

Recall that free skating was not the focus of competitive skating in this era. There wasn't even a short program until the 70s. Figures were heavily weighted.... 60% or so.

Tenley Albright had to master most every variation of the old school figures - if I'm correct about my timeline, skaters didn't even know for sure what figures the judges would choose before the competition. In addition, oh by the way, she was a full time pre-med student when she won the Olympics.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How amazing it must be then, to be a pioneer and champion in your sport jumping singles and doubles, and then fast forward to now where you are honouring women doing triples on the regular! The sport has really changed so much, it's awe-inducing!
So interesting. I found a video of her skating at Worlds in 1956. I think I did see a couple of singles. Whether they were planned or not I do not know. Lots of split jumps and a VERY fast spin at the end!

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So interesting. I found a video of her skating at Worlds in 1962. I think I did see a couple of singles. Whether they were planned or not I do not know. Lots of split jumps and a VERY fast spin at the end!

Could not have been 1962 she was retired by then and in medical school.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Could not have been 1962 she was retired by then and in medical school.
Sorry. 1956. I had my mind on the first triple landed by a woman. It even says 56 on the video. Silly me. I corrected my post.

gleungc6

On the Ice
Recall that free skating was not the focus of competitive skating in this era. There wasn't even a short program until the 70s. Figures were heavily weighted.... 60% or so.

Tenley Albright had to master most every variation of the old school figures - if I'm correct about my timeline, skaters didn't even know for sure what figures the judges would choose before the competition. In addition, oh by the way, she was a full time pre-med student when she won the Olympics.
I've enjoyed all of these videos and information! Thank you all, what a special competition for everyone involved, skaters past and present

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Kaori did what she had to do. She pulled herself through. LEvito and Glenn were worthy podium finishers. All have room to grow for the rest of the year. Iwas impressed with Levito; she looked great. I do admit gloves tend to make you look more juniorish. All three winners had lovely costumes - Levito might want to shorten her dress as it it looks rather awkward and matronly. I was watching one the skating shows and they said it was nice to see the US show its dominance that seemed to disappear for decades. But sadly we have to admit it is due to a large part Russia is not competing. Gracie did really well but once again we get all worked up with visions of the old Gracie return and we were let down. Maybe she should do the 3lutz triple toe combo twice in her fs. But regardless it is a trend so much hope and promise and we/I think Gracie is going to do it and then tears and disappointment. She doesn't do it on purpose of course. She did respectable; It is just I expected and maybe wanted so much more.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaori did what she had to do. She pulled herself through. LEvito and Glenn were worthy podium finishers. All have room to grow for the rest of the year. Iwas impressed with Levito; she looked great. I do admit gloves tend to make you look more juniorish. All three winners had lovely costumes - Levito might want to shorten her dress as it it looks rather awkward and matronly. I was watching one the skating shows and they said it was nice to see the US show its dominance that seemed to disappear for decades. But sadly we have to admit it is due to a large part Russia is not competing. Gracie did really well but once again we get all worked up with visions of the old Gracie return and we were let down. Maybe she should do the 3lutz triple toe combo twice in her fs. But regardless it is a trend so much hope and promise and we/I think Gracie is going to do it and then tears and disappointment. She doesn't do it on purpose of course. She did respectable; It is just I expected and maybe wanted so much more.
Gracie did quite well considering she has a hip injury

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
The problem I saw with Gracie today was a lack of stamina (which has been an issue of hers in recent years). To be fair, *most* skaters are going to have this issue to some degree at the beginning of the season. Otherwise, what I saw was a skater who was focused and positive, even when it didn't go well. I'm guessing her goal this season is to make the National team (which is not farfetched given Bradie is a big question mark, and Karen too, even if she just wants to come back for Nationals, not having trained as usual in previous seasons). However at this point (a few years in continuing to see stamina issues), I'm wondering if Gracie just cannot train enough to build it up to where it needs to go. Maybe her age is catching up to her sooner than we'd like.

sworddance21

On the Ice
The problem I saw with Gracie today was a lack of stamina (which has been an issue of hers in recent years). To be fair, *most* skaters are going to have this issue to some degree at the beginning of the season. Otherwise, what I saw was a skater who was focused and positive, even when it didn't go well. I'm guessing her goal this season is to make the National team (which is not farfetched given Bradie is a big question mark, and Karen too, even if she just wants to come back for Nationals, not having trained as usual in previous seasons). However at this point (a few years in continuing to see stamina issues), I'm wondering if Gracie just cannot train enough to build it up to where it needs to go. Maybe her age is catching up to her sooner than we'd like.
I think it takes time. She's 27. That's not old, even for an elite athlete. It takes time to build your body back up after what she went through. She gets better every year. Look at what Deanna Stellato-Dudek is doing. And many of the ice dancer and pair ladies are older than Gracie is right now.

SkateTM0102

On the Ice
There are competitions between US Nationals and worlds she could potentially be sent to to get them. They had to send Ilya to a comp before worlds to get his tech minimums (note that I don’t expect them to do this, but they could).
True, they could also send her to Zagreb in December, I think it’s Golden Spin. With Covid still a thing, and injuries, I would want as many skaters as possible to have minimums to choose from, even if it’s unlikely they would actually be assigned to the event.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie did really well but once again we get all worked up with visions of the old Gracie return and we were let down. Maybe she should do the 3lutz triple toe combo twice in her fs. But regardless it is a trend so much hope and promise and we/I think Gracie is going to do it and then tears and disappointment. She doesn't do it on purpose of course. She did respectable; It is just I expected and maybe wanted so much more.
I was not let down even a small amount. This is Gracie’s first GP since Rostelecom in 2018 where she did so poorly in the SP that she WD from the free…which is not “on brand” for her at all. Who back then thought that in 4 years she would be in the top 6 at Skate America, and that she would do it on her own merits, not by a returning skater clause? I must admit I did not. Gracie is injured, so she had to put the freaking flip in. And yes, she fell. But she didn’t let the performance get away from her. Last year her only International outing was at Cranberry and she came in 13th and did not make minimums for 4CCs. Last year she was 10th in the US. This year she has already won an international medal and finished 6th at a GP. It’s incredible. And if she wasn’t injured I do think she would have done better. The only way she could disappoint me would be to say something like “Get away from me you crazy woman and don’t bring me any more flowers.” That would be disappointing.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie was on tour and coaching all summer. She was not training for International competition and was contemplating retirement. Her boyfriend gave her a nudge and her choreographer threw a program 2 weeks before Philly and she won a bronze medal. I don’t know when other International caliber skaters start training but I would imagine it is sooner than mid July. Is this incorrect?

She’s also got the hip injury which forced her to put the flip in. I HATE the flip. Boo, hiss flip.

Gracie has some lofty goals. She wants to be top 2 at Nationals and she wants to be on the World Team. I just hope these are kind of stretch goals, and not goals where one is like “if I don’t achieve this goal I am not skating anymore.

I can tell you that at the last two comps I’ve seen her happier than maybe I’ve ever seen her. And I love that.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie is noticeably slower then she ever was at her peak she used to be one of the fastest and most powerful skaters but that seems to be gone for good.
Were you there? I’m not trying to be rude, but people who were there said she was fast. She also has great ice coverage.