2022 Skate America Women's Free Skate | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate America Women's Free Skate

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Were you there? I’m not trying to be rude, but people who were there said she was fast. She also has great ice coverage.
I was and she surprised me with her speed, not Kaori level but on par with Haein (who is faster than I expected). She does need more stamina though but hopefully that'll come as the season goes and she heals from her injury

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was and she surprised me with her speed, not Kaori level but on par with Haein (who is faster than I expected). She does need more stamina though but hopefully that'll come as the season goes and she heals from her injury
❤️

Dawn825

Medalist
I'm on board with the PCS simplification. A bit more detail than 6.0 but not so many categories that the judges are overwhelmed.
Being less overwhelmed has not helped them be more accurate. They are still putting in one general score across all categories, that reflects the skaters reputation and technical expectation more than anything.
Kaori just missed beating the leading score this year by 0.07. I think the competition domestically (Nationals) will be tougher for Kaori than these senior events
You think? Are they letting the JGP girls into senior nationals?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If anyone is interested in how Gracie skated in early August and how she skated today, I made these videos with my cell phone, therefore they are not professional quality and contain errant fingers and excited utterances, but I see a HUGE difference.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Being less overwhelmed has not helped them be more accurate. They are still putting in one general score across all categories, that reflects the skaters reputation and technical expectation more than anything.

You think? Are they letting the JGP girls into senior nationals?
Yes, I think the top 5 (can't remember the exact number, sorry) at junior nationals are invited to senior nationals. So in theory, Kaori could end up third at Nationals even if she beat everyone else internationally. I think she will easily out-PCS most of the youngsters, but she can't afford a mistake.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Yes, I think the top 5 (can't remember the exact number, sorry) at junior nationals are invited to senior nationals. So in theory, Kaori could end up third at Nationals even if she beat everyone else internationally. I think she will easily out-PCS most of the youngsters, but she can't afford a mistake.
It used to be the top 6 placements at Japanese Jr. Nationals would be invited to Nationals. But this year, JSF made a change of rule, so it will be top 8 placements from Jr. Nationals getting the invitations to the (Sr.) Nationals. Obviously, JSF is making the adjustment so more Jr. skaters can be included, whereas the spots for current Sr. skaters will decrease.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It used to be the top 6 placements at Japanese Jr. Nationals would be invited to Nationals. But this year, JSF made a change of rule, so it will be top 8 placements from Jr. Nationals getting the invitations to the (Sr.) Nationals. Obviously, JSF is making the adjustment so more Jr. skaters can be included, whereas the spots for current Sr. skaters will decrease.
Good to know. I thought it was top 6. I think the Japanese federation compares scores and due to the fact the Junior girls are getting better, from last year, I think that is why they are allowing for more Junior girls to compete. Nationals will be tough because Rinka, Mao, Hana, Ami and Mana can all do a 3A in the SP, as well as the free skate. They can even go for two 3A’s in the free skate. Ami and Hana both mentioned that is their goals. Mao and Rion (only landed in practice) also have a 4T. Rika might get her 3A and 4S back next year along with Wakaba next year. So, Kaori might not have enough buffer if any of these girls top 45 TES in the SP or 85 in the LP, on a regular basis. Kaori kind of is, the Evgenia/Alina this Olympic cycle and may eventually be overtaken by 3A’s in her own country. That is why this gold medal and this season is important to her.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

Yep, the PCS remain extremely flawed. There is no meaningful separation between each category, nor between the artistic and performance merit of different programs. Artistry will continue to remain a superficial afterthought.

Dawn825

Medalist
I forgot about Rinka and Mana somehow. I can't say I like this practice of having junior skaters at senior nationals at all. It takes esteem and prize money away from skaters who need it more.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I forgot about Rinka and Mana somehow. I can't say I like this practice of having junior skaters at senior nationals at all. It takes esteem and prize money away from skaters who need it more.
The Japanese federation does protect their senior skaters somewhat in the area of PCS score. I remember watching Mao Shimada, at a domestic competition, where she skated a clean short program, only to score around 65 points due to a lower PCS score, than what she gets internationally. Maybe, this is done on purpose, to make it difficult for Juniors to overtake their senior skaters. They gave Mao, a novice at the time, a much lower PCS score, at Junior Nationals. I felt this was to protect even their juniors last year. But, when Mao lands quads, etc… it is hard to keep down talent like Mao Shimada. Who had a too high TES score, to catch.

The Japanese Juniors do have stiff competition with one another. With Japan only having two spots for Junior Worlds, Ami and Hana both look at each other and know they need to add an extra axel to not only compete with Mao Shimada, but, each other and possibly ladies that are age eligible and even 18 years old, that will be at Senior Nationals. Mao won last year Junior Nationals followed by Rion and Mone Chiba. However, they gave Rinka, Mone’s spot due to Rinka placing sixth at Senior Nationals placement, despite Rinka being 18/19 years old. So, they have to skate well at Juniors and then, also ward off skaters like Rion, Rino and Mana, who are still age eligible for Junior Worlds, at Senior Nationals, I believe, as well.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
If anyone is interested in how Gracie skated in early August and how she skated today, I made these videos with my cell phone, therefore they are not professional quality and contain errant fingers and excited utterances, but I see a HUGE difference.

Thanks and absolutely. In all areas. Without the doubled lutz yesterday the overall score would have been low 180s. And she can go even higher. Her attitude is much better than even last years'. This is definately a strong uptick. Here's to hope and faith!!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really happy to see Dr Albright handing out the medals! Back then in the 50s, do you know what kind of jumps the women were mostly doing? Double axels and some triples?

@moonvine gave an answer, but I want to add that I recently read that Dorothy Hamill (Olympic gold 1976) was the last woman to win the Olympics without a triple jump.

So it was a long time coming between the 1st woman landing a triple, and triples being required to make it to the top. :)

And btw, Dorothy's jumps, her famous spins and her gorgeous edges were all spectacular.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tenley Albright - polio survivor, Olympic Champ, Harvard Medical Doctor, Worked to eradicate polio in the world
Quite an amazing woman who retains a glow about her

I am so happy that Skating club of Boston honored Tenley Albright while she's still not only alive but thriving. Such a thrill to see her hand the medals, and think of the thrill to the women who earned them. ❤️

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I objected to were all the various different Phantom of the Opera programs. I felt like I'd travelled back in time, lol. I groaned whenever another started (this is across disciplines, not just women's).
To each his or her own. I love Phantom of the Opera, and I feel the music helps the skaters to be expressive, so I'm glad to see these programs.

And I've also noticed that several skaters chose to skate to Hit the Road Jack. Some men, Amber, and even a pair or ID couple? Not sure.
But I'm enjoying those as well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it takes time. She's 27. That's not old, even for an elite athlete. It takes time to build your body back up after what she went through. She gets better every year. Look at what Deanna Stellato-Dudek is doing. And many of the ice dancer and pair ladies are older than Gracie is right now.

At 27, it takes even longer to heal after an injury. I thought Gracie did so well under the circumstances.

yesterday

Record Breaker
The Japanese federation does protect their senior skaters somewhat in the area of PCS score. I remember watching Mao Shimada, at a domestic competition, where she skated a clean short program, only to score around 65 points due to a lower PCS score, than what she gets internationally. Maybe, this is done on purpose, to make it difficult for Juniors to overtake their senior skaters. They gave Mao, a novice at the time, a much lower PCS score, at Junior Nationals. I felt this was to protect even their juniors last year. But, when Mao lands quads, etc… it is hard to keep down talent like Mao Shimada. Who had a too high TES score, to catch.

The Japanese Juniors do have stiff competition with one another. With Japan only having two spots for Junior Worlds, Ami and Hana both look at each other and know they need to add an extra axel to not only compete with Mao Shimada, but, each other and possibly ladies that are age eligible and even 18 years old, that will be at Senior Nationals. Mao won last year Junior Nationals followed by Rion and Mone Chiba. However, they gave Rinka, Mone’s spot due to Rinka placing sixth at Senior Nationals placement, despite Rinka being 18/19 years old. So, they have to skate well at Juniors and then, also ward off skaters like Rion, Rino and Mana, who are still age eligible for Junior Worlds, at Senior Nationals, I believe, as well.

Just bonkers! The situation, not your posting :)