Pairs' FS - 2022 Olympics: Thoughts? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs' FS - 2022 Olympics: Thoughts?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm so exhausted. I didn't catch the pairs free skate event in real time. There's so much to digest and so much going on in figure skating, and in the world in general. I can't keep up with all that's been happening. Hopefully, the events at the recent Olympics will lead to helpful and positive change, and not continued sweeping everything under the rug for future scandals to arise repeatedly.

Nah I wanted T/M to win gold, but didn't dare hope because even with their amazing programs at this competition there would have been objections and "S/H Wuz robbed" and I realised it wouldn't be worth the palaver.

I'm still hoping for Worlds!
T/M came so close, and a lot of people didn't think they would be in this position. I certainly was hoping, and in the back of my mind, I never counted T/M out. I much preferred seeing T/M winning over M/G who truly need more seasoning. As for B/K, they are good people and fine athletes, but I'm less enamored of their skating. With Russia's deep field, I can see B/K being surpassed -- still competitive for sure, but they will be battling a great many talented up-and-coming Russian teams. It is clear that their close rivals, M/G, are more talented. And T/M are superbly more talented than anyone when they are in-the-zone, and in-sync. A few heart-in-mouth moments on the jumping passes and one of the throws, but T/M were very much on, and apparently able to control their nerves, what with no one expecting them to persevere for the podium.

With the Olympics being in Beijing (and China setting pairs as the premier ending to figure skating events), there wasn't a lot of doubt that S/H would likely prevail. I felt like nothing was left for chance in S/H's approach this season. I believe they were helped by the pandemic ending up causing cancellation of so many events in the lead-up to the Olympics. This made it perhaps easier for Sui to pace herself with her training and competing (they barely competed) since 2020. Sui/Han looked a bit shaky at 2021 Worlds too. But they retooled and left no stone unturned for being ready by Beijing. It worked out for them, and home field advantage was a huge asset.

Sui/Han performing the quad twist was genius strategy. That's the element which helped them win in the long run. S/H's magic and ginormous strength of will was on display throughout, despite the salchow landing being such a bugaboo for Sui (likely in large part, due to her rehabbed foot injury).

While I'm happy for Sui/Han finally achieving their dream, it would have been equally special to see T/M win gold. Both teams have been through so much over their careers. I'm sure all of these skaters have great respect for each other.

It was sad to see Hase/Seegert going through such despair. It was brave of them to go out there. I hadn't heard about Seegert's injury, but I knew by the point of the first and second lift that something was not right with Seegert. Even from the beginning, he was the one who struggled, which was uncharacteristic.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think James/Radford were in many aspects dissed by the judges, sadly. I felt J/R should have placed ahead of the very slow Barquero/Zandron in the sp. Barquero's death spiral position was not good. She and Zandron need more experience, more power and more speed. Kirsten & Michael did not perform great in either program (either in the team or individual events), but they had fewer mistakes in their individual fp. The judges seemed to be looking for something to keep J/R's scores down as much as possible. The judges got what they seemed to want when Vanessa fell late in the fp. That one-point deduction kept J/R from placing ahead of both Kirsten/Michael and Barquero/Zandron -- because these teams' scores were so close in both sp and fp. I don't think J/R were given credit due for their overall quality, so that's partly what kept the scores so close between these three teams.

IMO, the reaction by Canadian teams to the J/R pairing is what has significantly hurt all three top Canadian teams, and the Canadian pairs discipline generally. Such overall bad perceptions too with the uncalled for whining and finger-pointing that occurred immediately after Canadian Nationals. SC managed to shut it down, but the bad impression remains. It is not Vanessa and Eric coming back together that is the problem. It is the exceedingly negative reactions to their comeback, which are unwarranted. Had J/R been respected and embraced for their talent and for what they could potentially do to help competitively, instead of the other two top teams selfishly sulking for most of the season, things might have been different for the Canadian pairs discipline at the 2022 Olympics.

It was very brave of J/R to go on this journey during an Olympic season. Perhaps they underestimated how hard it would be. But they never gave up, and it's clear how much admiration and respect they have for each other. I'm glad that Shae Zukiwsky of SC clearly supported J/R throughout. The same can not be said for some of their teammates. It's hard enough to pair and to make a comeback in an Olympic season. It became even more of an obstacle due to all the unfair negativity J/R were routinely met with from Canadian skaters and fans.

Vanessa posted a pic of her with Matteo Guarise on Instagram, and complimented him and Nicole. Matteo is such a sweet guy, from all that I've heard about him. I love Vanessa's positivity. I wish Vanessa & Eric all the best. I hope to see them at Worlds in better training shape. It's been a tough season for them as a new pair. And btw, contrary to Bechke's comments on TSL, Vanessa was likely feeling some residual effects from the training practice collision. It has nothing to do with Vanessa's age, Ms. Bechke. While age makes a lot of things different and training/ fitness strategies even more crucial, I believe Vanessa is possibly in better shape than some younger competitors. I dare Bechke to say anything to Deanna Stellato about 'age' being a drawback!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@WeakAnkles, if you don't have Peacock, USA, or a VPN you can try and access for other alternative streaming, I'm not sure where there are free links. You may find some individual programs highlighted on YouTube by NBC. Down the road, other programs by other commentating teams may become available. The Olympic Channel probably has videos too.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I must admit that I didn't watch. How did the US Teams perform? I know that Brandon and Alexa are planning to retire after this season. Were they happy with their performance?
Where do you get that idea? The last I saw she very specifically said "our story is not over."

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like to mention something that makes me particularly happy. After 2018, the ISU destroyed an aspect of pairs skating : technical prowess. By reforming the code of point, the incentive to perform harder elements like quads disappeared. Even doing harder throws or jumps is not really encouraged. The return of the quad twist performed so well by Sui Han was a highlight for me and perhaps what secured their gold medal. I wish that this will motivate teams to bring back some harder tricks, and I hope that the Code of point will be adjusted in a way where there is a better balance between risk and reward.

This event, was, by far, the most satisfying to watch among all disciplines this time around.
The ISU conducted a study on quad twists to see how dangerous they were. Shockingly, they found out if a pair does them well, they aren't all that dangerous, but if done poorly they are more dangerous. Based on this they devalued quad twist because they don't want pairs doing it. Will they change it in future, who knows.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The ISU conducted a study on quad twists to see how dangerous they were. Shockingly, they found out if a pair does them well, they aren't all that dangerous, but if done poorly they are more dangerous. Based on this they devalued quad twist because they don't want pairs doing it. Will they change it in future, who knows.
I think that the pairs who have done the quad twist were doing it well... same with those who were doing the quad throws... when i think about a pair that had major concussion and injury issues, (Seguin Bilodeau).... it was more bad luck than quad training... i don't think they ever worked on the biggest tricks...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm Always getting stories on my Facebook news feed. I'll look and if I find it I'll post it for you.
Thank you! Literally all I can find is the news of them being sued. I googled it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Thank you! Literally all I can find is the news of them being sued. I googled it.
I couldn't find anything either. Maybe I was thinking Madison and Zach. I'll keep looking. Yes, after looking back at my feed, it is Madison and Zach who are retiring. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Sui/Han winning was by far my favorite moment of the Olympics. They've been so good for so long and they had the best program of the field, plus did the only Quad in Pairs of the past 4 years. It's such a shame how those elements are valued right now.

I do wish they had switched the 3Sal to 2Axel though. Sui showed better ability on the 2A, and that 3S has never paid off for them. Sui rarely does it cleanly and every time she has, it never made a difference in placement anyway over doing a good 2A.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Loved that Russia pulling to devalue the quads and jumping elements in response to Duhamel's rise didn't help their pairs win gold 4 years later.

Sui & Han (alongside Kaori) were the best feel good moments coming from these Olympics.

LeReveur

On the Ice
I know that many people have said and written that the pairs long programs were impressive and that it was a really great event (that day of competition), but I didn't find magic in any of the top six. Tarasova/Morozov were much more enjoyable and aggressive in the short program for me, and Sui/Han peaked for me in 2018 when they were right there with Savchenko/Massot very close to winning. It wasn't a horrible series of programs, but I was not impressed.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I know that many people have said and written that the pairs long programs were impressive and that it was a really great event (that day of competition), but I didn't find magic in any of the top six. Tarasova/Morozov were much more enjoyable and aggressive in the short program for me, and Sui/Han peaked for me in 2018 when they were right there with Savchenko/Massot very close to winning. It wasn't a horrible series of programs, but I was not impressed.
Well, most of the programs were not all that special for sure. There were some bright spots here and there. I think both American teams have excellent programs. I like K/F's sp better than their fp, but they skated both programs extremely well in the singles event. Ash/ Timothy were on fire at U.S. Nationals, and they were glorious in the sp at the Olympics, but Ash's ankle sprain caused her problems on both jumping passes in the fp . Still, they have a gorgeous fp which shows off their wonderful lines. Both American pairs teams were wonderful, which is cause for celebration and for hope of breaking through to gain 3 spots at Worlds, but I won't hold my breath, as wanting it too much for U.S. pairs doesn't seem to work. I hope it happens though, in a joyful way. I see posters indicating there's no confirmation that K/F will retire. Maybe they will stick around for another season at least.

Miura/Kihara of Japan are looking very smooth, joyful and competitive as well. While they have lovely programs, both sp and fp selections are also old and overused by this point. I want to see them try something else and expand their artistic range.

I was happy for T/M, because they've been through a lot, and they really do have such exquisite skills. They never managed to find just the right material to elevate their partnership in a very exciting way (for example, like James/Cipres did in their final three seasons). Also, over the years, T/M never found a way to connect with each on the ice in a magical way. But we got used to their lack of palpable emotional connection. I think the emotional connection between them has always been there beneath the surface, but their style and personalities are very reserved in their competitive performances. They've done some exhibitions where they managed to loosen up and connect better, but they never found a way to effectively execute that approach in competitive programs.

Sui/Han, for me, came on the senior scene like little firecrackers. In the early years of their career, it was more about the tricks. And then slowly, with the help of Shen/Zhao, they began to improve their aesthetics. Injuries definitely slowed them down over the past four years. I believe they remained on the competitive scene simply to try and win gold after they missed winning by a small margin in 2018. But the Sav/Mas amazing victory in 2018 is one for the ages, in large part because of how they came back from 4th place to win with conviction, and because of the significance of the win for Savchenko, in her 5th appearance at the Olympics.

The gold medal win is a really nice career cap-off for Sui/Han, but they surely picked safe music and employed strategies they thought would give them the best advantage. There were brilliant moments in their programs, reminding us of their excellence as a team when they were at their peak. I noticed the strain on Sui's face after the fp performance. They probably felt they had done enough, but her problem on the 3-sal toward the end seemed to a bit of a concern for her. Their celebration in kiss 'n cry with their coaches and with Bin Yao must have been special for them all, having held on throughout a challenging four years.

The overall Olympics was underwhelming this year, with no crowds, the necessary restrictions in place due to COVID protocol, plus the times we're living in, etc. Ratings were way down as well, I think, for a variety of reasons.

As a figure skating fan, I mostly watched the skating, and only briefly a few other performances in other events. Keeping up with the figure skating events was difficult enough.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm very very sorry I missed it. And I can't find an accessible link to it. Grrrrr.
In this post is a link to a place where you will find an alternative, no vpn needed.

yqs100

On the Ice
Pairs event was the highlight of this olympics given how close the top teams were and everyone did their best, which was not the case for the last 3 olympics pairs events.