Pairs LP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs LP

Kimmie Fan

On the Ice
D&D did not have a poor draw here at all. If anything, it was the weakest of the pairs events.
I think they saw the weak competition and thought it was going to be easy? Perhaps they thought GPF was in their bag and lost concentration?
I have no other explanation for their poor form.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
I couldn't agree more - D/D lost this all on their own. I am not speaking of them in particular - it happens every season in at least one discipline. D/D don't deserve a berth this year - they haven't skated well at all.

My only point is every year there are skaters who get lucky by earning a berth due to draws and regardless if they win both events - they are NOT superior skaters and shouldn't be touted as the top teams in the world going head to head at the GPF.

gold12345

Medalist
I was pretty shocked about D/D. It wasn't just the jumps... After falling on the first throw, she doubled the second one. Just a complete meltdown.

I think a 101 was even too high for what they did. I can't believe their twist got positive GOE.

M/T make the GPF with four falls in two competitions, including a meltdown at Skate America. That's kind of ridiculous, but nobody else stepped up to take it from them. All D/D had to do was skate decently here, and all M/B had to do was get credit for a pair spin at Skate Canada. Neither one did it, so M/T slip in there and get a nice little lucky gift.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
I agree that it does happen - but imo, not this year, at least in the pairs so far.

oleada

Record Breaker
M/T make the final with four falls in two competitions. Kind of ridiculous, but nobody else stepped up to take it from them. All D/D had to do was skate decently here, and all M/B had to do was get credit for a pairs spin at Skate Canada. Neither one did it, so M/T slip in there and get a nice little lucky gift.

Yeah, they were lucky this year, but it's the way it worked out. Last year, they had the 3rd highest point total, but didn't qualify.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
I was pretty shocked about D/D. It wasn't just the jumps... After falling on the first throw, she doubled the second one. Just a complete meltdown.

I think a 101 was even too high for what they did. I can't believe their twist got positive GOE.

luck.

Yeah, that +goe on twist is a joke. I was also surprised by their tes score of over 50. especially when you think about what they did today in terms of jumps:

2a+1a+seq
th3lutz(fall)
2s
th2loop

I figured out long time ago that the gap for throw double and throw triple are not big enough points wide. The points you get from doing a good throw double and a bad throw triple are almost identical. I think the points for throw doubles should be decreased.

gold12345

Medalist
Yeah, they were lucky this year, but it's the way it worked out. Last year, they had the 3rd highest point total, but didn't qualify.

Really? That's a shame. I wish there was a better way to pick the 6 qualifiers, but I don't really think there is. We just have to accept that the 6 who move on aren't necessarily the 6 best in the world, but may have had a little luck on their side, too, as far as draws and tiebreaks.

Last edited:
L

LKR722

Just waking up..I can't believe how poorly D&D have skated this season.:cry: I don't like their programs either. I hope they can get it together for Worlds. I happy for Pang and Tong, they are my favorite Chinese pair right now.:clap: Good for I&B too for the silver. I wish M&B made the GPF...I think they are better than M&T but I guess that is just the way the cookie crumbles.;) They could have skated alot better at Skate Canada.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
:clap:I'm so happy for P/T. This win will really cheer them up after the dissapointment at CoC. I'm so thrilled for M/T as well. They get to go to the finals:rock:.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ok, c'mon guys, only one congrats for Rena and John?

Regardless of the field and the skates, I'm glad the "oldtimers" took home a silver. :rock:

Can't be any accusations of stereotypical mindless USA support on this thread!:p

saltypig

Rinkside
Pairs Results

FPl. Name Nat. Points SP FS
1 Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN 186.06 1 1
2 Rena INOUE / John BALDWIN USA 161.49 2 2
3 Jessica DUBE / Bryce DAVISON CAN 156.76 3 3
4 Stacey KEMP / David KING GBR 132.89 4 4
5 Maria SERGEJEVA / Ilja GLEBOV EST 127.70 6 5
6 Laura MAGITTERI / Ondrej HOTAREK ITA 127.18 7 6
7 Meeran TROMBLEY / Laureano IBARRA USA 124.92 8 7
8 Monica PISOTTA / Michael STEWART CAN 124.80 5 8

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpjpn08/CAT003RS.HTM

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Ok, c'mon guys, only one congrats for Rena and John?

Regardless of the field and the skates, I'm glad the "oldtimers" took home a silver. :rock:

Over at FSU, somebody posted poor resolution pictures that APPEAR to show a very out of shape John Baldwin. If that is John, I guess what looks like flab is actually carefully disguised muscle. :laugh:

On another note, I can't find any record of Rena and John ever winning a competition outside of the United States. Have they?

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I have to say good job by Inoue and Baldwin. I think they have improved this year over last year...they had pretty good speed in the SP and showed more connection to the music. Also happy to see that they did the throw loop vs. the axel. If she can land the loop like that all the time, why risk the axel?

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Inoue Baldwin 08 NHK LP
http://www.dailymotion.com/fsqueen/video/x7k63j_inoue-baldwin-08-nhk-lp

I have to say I like Inoue & Baldwin's performance. They're well over 30, but still pretty fast and aggressive. Their program might be a bit simplistic, but they do have very smooth stroking and union. Inoue seems to be stronger than ever.

Pang & Tong LP
http://www.dailymotion.com/fsqueen/video/x7k5v2_pang-tong-08-nhk-lp_sport

Dube & Davison LP
http://www.dailymotion.com/fsqueen/video/x7k6yv_dube-davison-08-nhk-lp_sport

rain

Record Breaker
While D/D didn't skate well here, I think it's pretty funny how people are totally counting out the rest of their season because of it. Last year I seem to recall the very same couple losing their Canadian title only to come back for a world podium finish. Not saying that'll happen this year, just a little too soon to count anybody's chickens.

gold12345

Medalist
I have to say good job by Inoue and Baldwin. I think they have improved this year over last year...they had pretty good speed in the SP and showed more connection to the music. Also happy to see that they did the throw loop vs. the axel. If she can land the loop like that all the time, why risk the axel?

I agree. The 3A attempt made sense when they were searching to find a way to get on the world podium, but now that they pretty much definitely not in contention for that and that 3A is as inconsistent as ever, there's no more point in risking it. Their loop seems pretty solid.

I don't really like them, but I think they have some nice qualities, and their longevity is wonderful. They are 32 and 35 and have fended off a bunch of younger U.S. teams for years. That's impressive.

Kypma

Final Flight
While D/D didn't skate well here, I think it's pretty funny how people are totally counting out the rest of their season because of it. Last year I seem to recall the very same couple losing their Canadian title only to come back for a world podium finish. Not saying that'll happen this year, just a little too soon to count anybody's chickens.

I agree with that, rain, however what worries me is that Jessica had issues with every single jump element in both programs, while normally she's quite good with them (except maybe the salchow, which, if I remember correctly, is her worst jump...). In particular, I don't recall ever seeing her miss a double Axel or double a throw jump!

That being said, I hope (and think) they will take the extra time to train the jumps, perhaps rest a little and get back into a mode of calm confidence for nationals and worlds! After all, maybe her LP jump issues had to do with the missed Axel -- her double axel usually gets +1.00 at Nationals and praise from the commentators, so maybe missing it rattled her confidence.

-Kypma

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
No, with P/T winning here, M/B aren't going either. They are behind M/T in the tiebreak, despite beating them at Skate America.

I hate the tiebreak.

How did the tiebreaker goes?? Did the Isu count the total combine scores from both events and whon ever get the highest score get edge out??? It really confuse me.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I agree with that, rain, however what worries me is that Jessica had issues with every single jump element in both programs, while normally she's quite good with them (except maybe the salchow, which, if I remember correctly, is her worst jump...). In particular, I don't recall ever seeing her miss a double Axel or double a throw jump!

As a singles skater, we would expect Jessica to be solid on her SBS jumps...especially because those jumps are the easier ones for a singles skater. Missing the throws, messing up a twist etc would be more predictable errors. I daon't pretend to know the reason...maybe lack of training time... or injury....maybe personal issues. who knows. But yeah, we can't write them off. Look what happened when we wrote off mao.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
There has to be feed problems as this is the first time I have ever had issues with CBC. IN is a whole other story - have been waiting for a refund for over a month now as IN is useless to us in Canada,

they shouldn't even take your money since they KNOW you won't be getting their services.