Pairs LP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs LP

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
While D/D didn't skate well here, I think it's pretty funny how people are totally counting out the rest of their season because of it. Last year I seem to recall the very same couple losing their Canadian title only to come back for a world podium finish. Not saying that'll happen this year, just a little too soon to count anybody's chickens.

It's pretty funny that you're saying this, cos I don't really see anyone counting them out. What I saw reading the thread was comments they had skated poorly and are inconsistent, and that's simply stating the facts.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
they shouldn't even take your money since they KNOW you won't be getting their services.

You couldn't be more right Toni! Now if they would just see it that way. I have sent 3 emails to them and all I get back is the canned response that my email has been recieved and someone will get back to me.

Frustration at it's best!

oleada

Record Breaker
How did the tiebreaker goes?? Did the Isu count the total combine scores from both events and whon ever get the highest score get edge out??? It really confuse me.

First tie breaker is higher placement (i.e. a silver and a fourth place beats 2 bronzes)
Second tie-breaker is total points (Skater A & Skater B both finished 2nd & 3rd in their events, but Skater A had higher scores, so s/he qualifies).

sfgirl

On the Ice
The gold medalists are wonderful ice skaters, but my gawd Qing Pang needs to put on a few pounds. She is so thin.:)

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
^Jian Tong is really thin as well, but he's still so strong. The two of them must be the slimmest pair skaters around.

zephyrskates

On the Ice
I'm so surprised by P/T's performance. I love this program, the best LP this season if you ask me.

I/B. Yey! Congratulations, let's hope they can keep this up.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have to say good job by Inoue and Baldwin. I think they have improved this year over last year...they had pretty good speed in the SP and showed more connection to the music. Also happy to see that they did the throw loop vs. the axel. If she can land the loop like that all the time, why risk the axel?

The issue is whether missing the axel is worth the points vs. making the loop. They use the triple loop throw in all their exhibition programs, and it is very consistent for them. A curious thing happened in COP this year. For side by side (or for that matter, jumps in singles), the base value for quads and for triple axels went up and the size of GOE deductions also went up. However in pairs, the base value for quad and triple axel throws did not go up, but they upped the size of the GOE deductions anyway. Consequently, it isn't as good a risk to do a full rotated quad or 3A throw with a fall/bad GOE as it used to be. So this year, they should stick with the loop in SP, I think.

In the LP, the question then becomes what to do with the second throw in the LP. Inoue has never had all that reliable a salchow, either as a singles skater, or as a throw, compared to the loop. With her previous partner, they did the double axel for a second throw, which is probably what got I&B working on the triple.

What's puzzling is why they never worked on a throw triple lutz. Inoue has a fine triple lutz as a single skater (and was successfully doing it as a pair skater two or three seasons back, but John wasn't landing them in competition). To begin with, the loop and the flip/lutz throws in COP got the same points. However a while ago (2 years I think? but am not sure), the flip and lutz got an extra 0.5 base points. Why John and Rena didn't start working on it, I don't know.

Perhaps they didn't want to mess with her timing on the lutz as a non throw element. People always claim that doing throw salchows was why Kristi Yamaguchi always had trouble with the triple salchow, so maybe that has something to do with it.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
^

I was surprised to see the throw double axel as well. Most pairs have stopped doing throw doubles.

Maybe they have tried the throw triple lutz and it has very low consistency? I don't think it's to prevent messing up the lutz as a single element, since it's not very important for Rena to have a consistent triple lutz as a single element if she plans to continue her skating career with John.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Back when they should have been starting work on a lutz throw, they were still trying the SBS lutzes.

I don't know whether the throw double was planned or a triple popped to a double, BTW. They always train the double and the triple both. They warm up the double and then try the triple in the competition. Did anyone look at the "Planned Content" file for them for NHK? At Skate America, their flight plan showed a triple.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
I agree with that, rain, however what worries me is that Jessica had issues with every single jump element in both programs, while normally she's quite good with them (except maybe the salchow, which, if I remember correctly, is her worst jump...). In particular, I don't recall ever seeing her miss a double Axel or double a throw jump!

I think she is recovering from a strained ankle. Maybe that affected her jumps. In any case, she has to get over it soon if they want to emulate their performance from 08 Worlds.